Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

I feel cheated (end of game spoilers)

• 51 results
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Jackel2072

The entire game you hear how great the Vault is. oh the vault has women and crazy ass guns and it will just beat awesome! So after beating the final boss, what do you get? oh sorry you missed your window your going to have to wait another 200 years for the fucking thing to reopen. and the final boss dropped jack shit for loot (but he did drop a lot of money). any one else feel this way?

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By asurastrike
    @Jackel2072 said:

" The entire game you hear how great the Vault is. oh the vault has women and crazy ass guns and it will just beat awesome! So after beating the final boss, what do you get? oh sorry you missed your window your going to have to wait another 200 years for the fucking thing to reopen. and the final boss dropped jack shit for loot (but he did drop a lot of money). any one else feel this way? "

Borderlands 2, 200 years later.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#3  Edited By Soap
    @Jackel2072: I haven't played it yet, but that sounds pretty bullshit :/

Maybe at the end of your second playthrough?
    GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By GrandHarrier

Sounds about right. It's the journey, not the destination, and it strikes me as just the right brand of Borderlands humor.

raynate2022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By raynate2022

It was myself and the OP who ran though the game co-op. The ending was really dumb. But I figure maybe they wanted to leave it open for a sequel?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By xyzygy

They also might leave it open for the DLC. I thought the ending fit the humour of the game pretty well. Also, the whole Hyperion thing in space was pretty cool.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Sdoots

If you still thought the vault had goodies, you weren't paying attention. The vault was basically a gateway for the destroyer. The stories and everything were just that, stories. It was only a deceptive way for the destroyer to gain entry into our dimension. Atlas corp pulled out of Pandora when they realized this, and the Guardian Angel was an AI on a satilliete that they programmed to ensure the vault wouldn't be opened. You were used the entire time, really.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Chokobo
    @Biohazardous said:
    " If you still thought the vault had goodies, you weren't paying attention. The vault was basically a gateway for the destroyer. The stories and everything were just that, stories. It was only a deceptive way for the destroyer to gain entry into our dimension. Atlas corp pulled out of Pandora when they realized this, and the Guardian Angel was an AI on a satilliete that they programmed to ensure the vault wouldn't be opened. You were used the entire time, really. "
    spot on. 

OP: If you still thought that it was full of fun stuff, you probably are a bit gullible.
    Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Damian

The whole game they were also telling you the vault was a myth and you were wasting your time. I guess you just believed the wrong people. 

"Would you kindly fix that robot..." in the first 10 minutes should have told you all you need to know.

Kenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kenny

@Biohazardous:  
    I don't believe that the Atlas corp. knew that the destroyer was there nor did they program the satellite. The women who opened the vault was working for the Atlas corp. and I doubt they would let her keep searching for it knowing there was a giant monster trapped inside. Also if you look at the satellite at the ending on the top part it says Hyperion so it's not even an Atlas made satellite to begin with. Since no one knew what was inside the vault or if it even existed for sure until you start finding the key pieces on Guardian Angels advice I don't think that it's even man made. I figured that it had to do with the Eridians and that it hijacked the satellite and waited to complete its goal of finding someone to open and then kill the Destroyer.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By damswedon

dude you beat Cthulhu what more do you want.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Damian said:
    " "Would you kindly fix that robot..." in the first 10 minutes should have told you all you need to know. "

Hehehehe, BioShock style.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By sixghost

The ending seemed good enough, the claptrap ninja thing was enough to get a laugh out of me. Not to mention that they now have the easiest setup for sequels in the history of gaming. 

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Shadow

Meh.  That boss was so damn easy that I didn't really feel like I deserved anything special for killing it.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By DrRandle

What's that? You mean the myth/legend/rumor wasn't TRUE?! WHAT?! My god, it's almost like this were taking place in some sort of distopian shithole or something... 

Sarcasm aside, the game did kind of just end abruptly, but honeslty that game had like no story to it. Which is fine, it's just damn fun to kill shit. I don't feel cheated because I don't have some crazy self-entitlement issues like many : D

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16  Edited By DrRandle
    @Damian: When she said that, I immediately stopped what I was doing. "Don't.... don't say that."
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By buzz_clik
    @GrandHarrier said:
    " Sounds about right. It's the journey, not the destination, and it strikes me as just the right brand of Borderlands humor. "
    Yup. I totally agree.
    angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By angelfan91
    @GrandHarrier said:
    "Sounds about right. It's the journey, not the destination, and it strikes me as just the right brand of Borderlands humor. "

Exactly what I thought, the story was not what I most cared about during my playthrough.  It was the fun in killing everything and gaining exp. in doing so.  I think they did a great job in making the story secondary to the overall mechanics of the game.  Some games try to make a huge convoluted plot and in doing so lose the fun of the game.
    fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fRAWRst

we need more cthulu esque end bosses in game

end of wolfenstein? kill hitler, cthulu is really behind it all, epic battle ensues

end of persona 4? train ride, goes into tunnel, turns out to be cthulus mouth, epic battle ensues

the ending of halo 3 was just master chief finding cthulus braclets

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Afroman269

Sounds to me that the developers either didn't know what to put in the vault because they made it sounds so great or they didn't want to put stuff in the vault that will be super powerful thus making you into a god so why not just say oops too late, buh bye. Just my guess.

Dragoon14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dragoon14

i think the 2nd play through explains more of it at the end.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By sumbog

Man it's the Coperations, think about it throughout the game they run everything, the lady satlite Hyperian, your HUD is made by the DAHL, plus all your weapons and your shields.....

RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RedHerb

You mean opening Pandora's vault lead to bad things coming out of it? NO... WAY... that's like a metaphor or something. these game designers are the masters of subtlety....

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By jakob187

I quite enjoyed the allegory that the ending presented.  All these games where the whole playthrough is so badass, and then the end boss is always a giant pussy. 

Well...in Borderlands...the end boss IS a giant pussy!

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CoinMatze
    @jakob187 said:
    " I quite enjoyed the allegory that the ending presented.  All these games where the whole playthrough is so badass, and then the end boss is always a giant pussy.  Well...in Borderlands...the end boss IS a giant pussy! "
    Great... thanks... how can I ever have sex again after that comment...
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pibo47
    @Shadow said:
    " Meh.  That boss was so damn easy that I didn't really feel like I deserved anything special for killing it. "
    Exactly. Once i figured out what i was supposed to do, i pwnd that thing.
    kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kwyee
    @raynate2022 said:
    " It was myself and the OP who ran though the game co-op. The ending was really dumb. But I figure maybe they wanted to leave it open for a sequel? "
    There's a shacknews interview where it sounds like the hyperion girl, claptrap ninja, and everything else will be explored in future content (maybe DLC or sequel). 

I know I'm in the minority here, but I loved the fact that the Vault's treasures was a myth.  It's like the movie Ronin where the whole adventure is about chasing a mysterious box, which is filled with your own imaginations.  Also, the opening of the gate (thereby unleashing a monster) is obviously not unlike Pandora's Box. So I thought that aspect was fun. 

A harder end boss (possibly with multiple segments to the battle) would have been nice.  It also would have been cool if at the end, you could choose to make 1 gun of your own using the same rules that the game uses.  At least this way, you'd get a kickass weapon that you like at the end instead of a bunch of whites :|
    AllenV86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AllenV86
    @kwyee: i agree, the end boss should have been more difficult, i just stood behind one of the pillars and sniped his eye constantly, in the begining of the fight i was walking around and did get hit a few times until i noticed i could just snipe him from behind the pillars and be out of his way from all his attacks, and the part before the boss should have been a bit more difficult aswell, i just ran through the big fights :D

the making your own gun thing would be fun but i think it would makes things a bit to easy, no? i think the gun would be to powerfull and you'd prolly scroll through the game killing most enemy's with 1 shot ( without crit hit ), maybe they should have given you the choice ( at the end when bringing in the vault key ) out of a few ( very good but not overpowered ) class prefered guns ( like a couple of snipers and revolvers to choose from when playing as mordecai, or combat rifles and shotguns for roland ) and be able to pick one of each class prefered weapon

grtz Allen :D
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#29  Edited By the8bitNacho

The ending -- as far as I'm concerned -- was only bad because of the way it was presented.  Had the narrative been fleshed out a little better, and if you actually cared about what was going on, the ending likely would have been purely ingenious. 

If you guys haven't caught it yet, the planet is called Pandora, and the goal is to open the Vault.  Anyone getting the whole Pandora's Box thing going on here?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By napalm
    @Jackel2072 said:

" The entire game you hear how great the Vault is. oh the vault has women and crazy ass guns and it will just beat awesome! So after beating the final boss, what do you get? oh sorry you missed your window your going to have to wait another 200 years for the fucking thing to reopen. and the final boss dropped jack shit for loot (but he did drop a lot of money). any one else feel this way? "

Yes, I do. I thought the Vault was just a portal for this inter-dimensional being to come into their world, (after I defeated it). I am relatively disappointed. I'm not nerdrage-ingly upset, but I am disappointed... especially considering the last few legs had you go across two or three huge areas to activate all of this stuff and do all of this other stuff, and the build up to The Vault was so huge and you get there, and it's just... a boss.

I am hoping that maybe this is just my kneejerk reaction and I will come to appreciate the ending a bit more... or maybe I won't. We'll see in a day or two.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31  Edited By jakob187

Still...people miss the allegory.  *le sigh*

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGremp

Since when was Borderlands about the story?  I don't care about some stupid vault...  I WANT LOOT!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By napalm
    @jakob187 said:
    " Still...people miss the allegory.  *le sigh* "
    I guess you've never heard of a kneejerk reaction before.
    Mu5hy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mu5hy

Just finished up the game about an hour ago with a friend playing Co-Op.  I gotta say, I don't feel 'cheated' but a little disappointed at how easy that final battle was.  The Arch Guardians on the final run up to the Vault were more difficult to navigate than the final boss.  Hide behind the furthest pillar and shoot him in the eye until he dies, none of his attacks hit you, and if you stand far enough back even the shock wave won't move you.  Just felt kind of cheesy after not using a sniper really at all the entire game (as Soldier) the final fight is me and whatever sniper I had doing 4k of damage per hit until the guy is dead.

Story wise I thought it was pretty good, didn't really care if the vault was real or not, or if I would be able to go inside or not.  The plot wasn't the reason I kept coming back to this game, and when you play co-op with your idiot friends who don't read quests, and just grab them all at once so you have 25 in progess it's a little hard to follow every little bit of the story.

Pretty fun overall though, I might make my way through a second play through in my spare time.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fallen189

Shitty awful ending to a completely mediocre game. Not disappointed, but I don't really care that it's over.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By penguindust
    @GrandHarrier said:
    " Sounds about right. It's the journey, not the destination, and it strikes me as just the right brand of Borderlands humor. "
    This is what I thought, too.  It's like the quest for the Holy Grail isn't about the cup of Christ but about the journey itself, a journey of self discovery and improvement.   Besides, what could they have actually placed in "The Vault" that players could use?  Some laser guns?  A flying car?  At the end of the game how important is any of that?  Besides, this way they can introduce new DLC content without upsetting the balance of the world. 
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zityz

I was more disapointed in the fact the boss didnt drop anything decent....or well anything, I think the boss droped like $1100 in total  and that was about it. Kind of a bummer. The claptrap ninja thing was random and funny. And the GA got really annoying at the end. 

over all its a fun game but I found as the game went on the bosses got easier and easier instead of the other way around.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By trophyhunter

I'd think the women in the vault would have been dead anyways
    and knowing that the game is basically one big waste of time with no pay off made not want the game

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @zityz said:
    " I found as the game went on the bosses got easier and easier instead of the other way around. "
    Maybe you were playing in co-op, but The Destroyer and Mothrack were the most annoying bosses I faced in Borderlands.  I only defeated Mothrack by using a ride (which I guess should be the only way to defeat it solo).  But The Destroyer kept on killing me over and over again, even when I was hiding behind a rock.  I managed to defeat it, but I had to die multiple times.
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Absurd

I just beat it 5 minutes ago. The end was a little disappointing but it was all about the journey anyway.

limewizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By limewizard

@Jackel2072

It looks like the story did it's job well then, no?

It convinced you and the character that you would be rewarded for the effort.

Seem's pretty decent to me.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#43  Edited By Sdoots

This is probably going to be my last word on this subject, but I feel like it's worth noting. The ending clearly made an impact on you if you were compelled to make a thread about it, so wouldn't it be fair to say that the developers did their job? You're discussing it, aren't you? Well then clearly you cared about it in some way.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By napalm
    @Biohazardous said:
    " This is probably going to be my last word on this subject, but I feel like it's worth noting. The ending clearly made an impact on you if you were compelled to make a thread about it, so wouldn't it be fair to say that the developers did their job? You're discussing it, aren't you? Well then clearly you cared about it in some way. "
    Yeah, but I think that's more of the fact that they played through this big open game and the fact that the boss was so mediocre and the ending wasn't really the ending let some people down.

I just wanted to post: I've had a couple days to reflect on the ending of the game, and I'm not really disappointed by the ending at all. I was initially, but that was my kneejerk reaction. Reflecting back, my interest in the game truly lied in going through this world and experiencing everything it has to offer, taking this long journey through this world. I'm quite happy with the game as a whole, and my only complaint is that there should have been a more coherent and compelling story. I found the whole idea of The Vault and this world that these people had created compelling, but I didn't feel the story did justice to the world they created. There needed to be more narrative and more context and background to the story, the characters, and maybe even The Vault Hunters.

I plan on going through the game again sometime around Christmas or after the New Year (when I will have time).
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By Driadon

No arguments here on the ending, except I wish there was at least something unique at the end, such as, possibly, 1 little crate that would only spawn alien weapons or something of that nature. 
    Can't wait for the DLC.

Chaossebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46  Edited By Chaossebba

i was more disappointed by the easiness of the fight. i just stood there unloading my 257 clip of fire bullets into its eye, then it went plop; and BOOM CREDITS!

kinky_wiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kinky_wiz
    @Kombat said:
    " The ending -- as far as I'm concerned -- was only bad because of the way it was presented.  Had the narrative been fleshed out a little better, and if you actually cared about what was going on, the ending likely would have been purely ingenious.  If you guys haven't caught it yet, the planet is called Pandora, and the goal is to open the Vault.  Anyone getting the whole Pandora's Box thing going on here? "
    OH I see what cha mean
    Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Amilmitt

ok here to set some things straight.
    ok first the vault isnt a gateway for the destroyer, its a prison, the erdians destroyed themselves to lock him away.
    the destroyer apparatlly can only be killed in this world for it reason to take on a physical form.
    the gaurdian angel is a super advanced AI inside the satalitte.
    all the storys and lies were made so that you would go to the vault as you were the only one that had the chance to destroy him.

and the ninja robot is the actually a claptrap infested with the destroyer.
    the gaurdian angel and the destroyer are from the same place.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By Evilsbane

I thought the whole parody thing was great but he could have dropped Something but the game was awesome regardless.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By napalm
    @Amilmitt said:
    " ok here to set some things straight. ok first the vault isnt a gateway for the destroyer, its a prison, the erdians destroyed themselves to lock him away. the destroyer apparatlly can only be killed in this world for it reason to take on a physical form. the gaurdian angel is a super advanced AI inside the satalitte. all the storys and lies were made so that you would go to the vault as you were the only one that had the chance to destroy him.  and the ninja robot is the actually a claptrap infested with the destroyer. the gaurdian angel and the destroyer are from the same place. "
    o_O

All I got was, "you're on Pandora and you're searching for The Vault."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.