Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

So I Like Playing This Game Alone

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MistaSparkle

I know that a lot of people really appreciated the online co-op stuff, but not for me. I bought the game thinking I'd be doing everything online in a group, but I got very bored very quickly of annoying players who didn't even want to do the quests. I went back and played some single player and found it to be a much more enjoyable experience. Anyone else feel the same?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I think a good majority of borderlands fans mostly played the game solo. I have for the most part though I have played online occasionally, splitscreen, however, I have gone through an entire playthrough.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Supermarius
    @MistaSparkle:  me too!! We should play togethe..... oh right....
    CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By CSXLoser

same boat as you. It's the main reason why im enjoying the PC verison so much more and my framerate doesnt studder unlike the 360 verison :P 

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Sooperspy

I didnt like the game alone, felt that there were too many enemies that took too long to kill.

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By yyZiggurat

I played the game alone but I would have loved to play with a friend.  Alone it we just a game I didn't have to think about while playing (perfect for podcasts).  As a result, I'm not in love or addicted with this game.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Chyro

If you play the game with real friends and not jackasses it will be better.  I played with a good buddy of mine and it's the most fun co-op experience I have had since playing Diablo 2 or Titan Quest.  I gave up on playing co-op games on xbox live with randoms.  It's completely pointless if you actually want to get somewhere.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By natetodamax

I almost always play solo because the online play gets laggy with more than two players and I just couldn't be bothered to try and get into a good game.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By lead_farmer

Played it mostly solo.  A couple of my friends got the game recently, so now I have started a Soldier to play with them.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Romination

LONE-AR!!!!
    i'd play alone if I had the game to play in the first place...there's always summer!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ajamafalous

I've been playing either alone or with friends. I find it much more enjoyable with other people.

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dantheman1515

I played either alone or split screen with my brother. I hate playing with people who try to do everything as fast as possible. I must look at every nook and cranny for loot.

whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By whyzenheimer

I played alone through the first playthrough, Zombie Island, and am currently halfway into General Knoxx.  Loved every minute of it.  I started playing splitscreen with my roommate, and we were having a blast other than dealing with the looting/menus in the cramped screen real estate.

In response to this he bought another copy of the game, and we and a friend across town were going to try to play online together with a group of new characters.  We had the worst luck possible getting everyone connected to each other.  It seemed like it would only let two of us out of three join the party at once, and after hours of trying to get the game going, we gave up and haven't tried since.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Kyreo

I have not finished this game SOLEY because I haven't had some dudes to finish it with.  It's no fun without some bros watchin yer back...

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By neoepoch

I play alone or with friends.
    Also...does anyone want to play PC Borderlands next weekend?

Shindiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Shindiggah

I beat  the majority of the game on single player but after I beat it pretty much completely I found a few good guys that were pretty good at the game, so I do stuff with them now.
    blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blacklab

I have never once played it online, I'm not into online shooters. It's very enjoyable solo.

threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By threeve

I played it alone to about level 20.  Recent life changes have caused me to again examine more closely the games that I play to decide whether they are really worth it to me or not.  In the same way that I examine foods that I eat - if I know it's bad for me, it had better live up to my expectations of tastiness.  
    Looking back at the time I spent on Borderlands, it was OK.  Like a lot of those terribly unhealthy foods that taste good but not great, I have decided it's not worth my time to finish.  Maybe it would have been more fun online with some buddies, but it's really hard to make that happen these days.

Pastajensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pastajensen

It's fun singelplayer, but I love it when playing co-op with friends. Newer tried with "randoms" though.

I find it more challenging when playing co-op.

Enemtee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Enemtee

I loved playing it singleplayer-only. I've played through both playthrough 1 and 2 alone. Sometimes I tried the co-op, but well, it is soso. Now I'm doing General Knoxxx, and that one I'm sometimes doing with other people. cause it can be so darn hard.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MysteriousBob

I played mostly single player too, although I have played with friends online and splitscreen briefly. It is certainly fun with a friend. Strangers is also good but that seems to get a bit manic.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By spazmaster666

Yeah I spent most of my time with Borderlands solo because most of the people on my friends list weren't really playing it. When I started mess around with co-op (some private games but mainly public) I could definitely see why so many people enjoy it (though I also ran into plenty of annoying teenagers asking if I had pearlescent weapons or inviting me to join their modded MW2 lobbies), but it didn't really feel that different aside from the fact that some missions are way easier on co-op.

TheJasonSigler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheJasonSigler

Good to know everyone's having fun with the single-player, I'm waiting to co-op it with a buddy but this at least lets me know I might get something out of it if he bails on me.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Meltac

I thought it was boring, and it didn't made a difference that I online or offline.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By spazmaster666
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    " @spazmaster666 said:  The biggest difference is MORE enemies with more HP. I found a lot of the stuff I breezed through on Single player got much harder w/ a friend (not hard, but a fun challenge).   I maxed out a Hunter completely solo and have since gotten Xbox Live - the game is a blast with friends, random folks not so much (esp if they don't have a Mic/overuse their mic) As long as no one is being a dick about loot or running off playing Rambo co-op greatly enhances the gameplay. "
    That's true but the thing is I only stared playing co-op when I got to level 50 and had tons of rare weapons, so even the harder tougher enemies still didn't stand much of a chance, especially in four-player co-op (and especially if you have a couple of Sirens on your team -- I never understood why so many people play as Soldiers when Hunters and Sirens are by the far the best two classes at high levels) as it doesn't really scale enough for the enemies to remain challenging if you have good equipment.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Demyx

I played some by myself, and then some with my roommates. The best reason to play online or with others is cause of better loot. Playing alone, you only find decent items, not the crazy stuff I've seen.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @CSXLoser said:
    " same boat as you. It's the main reason why im enjoying the PC verison so much more and my framerate doesnt studder unlike the 360 verison :P  "
    Don't have experience with the 360 version but the PS3 version's framerate is crap during splitscreen. I guess that's to be expected, at least a bit though.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By napalm

I think most people who play co-op try to do it with their friends because they'll constantly be organizing the quests, trading and seeking guns, etc... pretty much doing the stuff that requires people to be on the same page to enjoy the game properly.

tmlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tmlim
    @MistaSparkle said:
    "Anyone else feel the same? "
    Yes.  I sometimes do co-op with some friends, but never with strangers.  But overall, I prefer doing single player.  I can go at my own pace.  Don't have to share weapons (yeah I'm selfish).

However, to fight Crawmerax  I do it with a friend.
    arkkazeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By arkkazeal

I started playing it in single player on my Hunter mainly because online was broken for PC for awhile, it eventually got pretty boring, but at least i have time to read quest descriptions and actually have fun with them. When i finally did get online it was just rushing through everything super fast, which was still pretty fun though. Shooting things endlessly is most of the game though so my Soldier Medic, who has only been in online games, is my only character with playthrough 1 finished.

zolloz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zolloz89

im glad to see that the single player is at least fun. Ive been putting off picking this up for a long while because no one wanted to get it with me.

esotericus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By esotericus

I'm currently playing it, and I love playing it solo.  As with a few other people here, I tried a random co-op mode when it came time to kill Dredge, and they were all over the place. We got the job done, but the Brick guy refused to heal himself (even when I dropped heals right in front of him) and the Mordecai guy kept getting lost.  It kind of ruined the experience for me. It's certainly more challenging, and I imagine I'd LOVE it that way if I was actually online with people I knew and trusted. That's the key.

A long-time friend of mine started playing with me, however, and we used AIM on our iPhones to communicate. It was a lot of fun. Somehow, though, it didn't stick, and we've taken to still talking on AIM while playing Borderlands but not actually playing with each other. (It doesn't help that he's on New Game and has to level other characters to play with me.)

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By ht101

I have played solo except for when I got the viral achievement.  I do need the complete 15 missions together one but I may spam that one so it's easier to do.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By christ0phe

Playing alone gave me the sense that I was one person venturing through this ravaged desolate world alone.  It was a much different sense than playing with three other people.  I feel that it made the game much more atmospheric and moody.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By trophyhunter

the only time I ever played this online was to get the online cheevos

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#36  Edited By gingertastic_10

I enjoy playing it alone. I played it online once with dbz1995, and it's a different game I think. Makes everything more fun.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fbomb

I really dislike playing with randoms, so I played Solo for most of the game. I probably put in about 5-6 hours of co-op with random people, but nothing that I hadn't played before. The problem is that most people don't use the mic, and the people that do, I end up not wanting to talk to. It's not that I'm anti-social, it's just that for everyone person I "click" with there's 20 more that annoy the hell out of me. I'm 28. I have nothing in common with teenagers.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Osaladin

I played both playthroughs alone and I had a lot of fun with them. In a game like Borderlands, I need to go at my own pace, and since I played as Mordecai, I didn't have to worry about anyone else messing up my strategies of just sitting back and taking care of everyone before I run in.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By habster3

I like playing a lot of games alone (That's gross; sorry about that)

Ok, I play this game on the PS3 and the only people I know who play this game play it on the XBox 360, so I HAVE to play it alone. One time I tried to play Borderlands with my dad, but I was level 10 and his character was brand new; guess how that turned out.

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By JackG100

Im trying to convince my friends to play this with me, enjoy it alot more with a few pals. Dunno about playing with randoms, doesn't feel that enticing, but singleplayer gets boring kinda fast.

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Tuggah

I prefer it alone, I like being able to pick up all the weapons and take my time.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By demontium

CSB

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#43  Edited By MightyDuck

Worth picking up at $40?  I'm a fan of shooters, however I don't know a single person on my friends list that has this game so I'll probably be stuck playing alone.  For the most part it seems like lots of you guys enjoyed it playing on your own.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GetWhatYagive:  
    I'm kind of getting back into it, and thinking about another playthrough.  As for being worth full price, arguable.  And if you want to play with me, you have to pick up Knoxx as well (compatibility).  I don't have a Steam copy of the game, but I think that shouldn't be an issue in matchmaking (that would be ludicrous). 

It's not a for sure thing though, so don't get it on my behalf.  If you end up buying it, however, PM me.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By landon

I prefer playing it solo.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By rapid

I played the core game mostly on my own as for DLC I play that with my friends. Especially for General Knoxx which the enemies were a bit stronger we had a good formation going and were  issuing rpg like-squad like tactics support solider providing cover fire for Berserker and 2 Sirens reviving and rushing behind Berserker.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been trying to find games online but every single one i have seen is a lvl 1 game :P 

SpookyStrelok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SpookyStrelok

I beat the game 3 times by myself. Both playthrough 1 and 2 as the Hunter. Then just the first as the Siren. I had a decent enough time in the process.

I wanted to avoid playing it online due to all of the bad experiences playing L4D. About 95% of the time in that game, I would join a server, and either be immediately votekicked off. Either that or I would have to deal with the vast amount of griefers. 
    That game seriously has the worst online community I have ever seen.

But anyways... yeah. I decided to play Borderlands online once. Just to see if it would make it more enjoyable in any way . Found a random game with people my level, joined, annnnnnnnnnd... kicked out in the first few seconds.  I gave up after that.

Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cynical_M

I like playing with people I know.. I've never done a random co-op game.. But I still have a good time playing alone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.