Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Will I enjoy playing through this game on my own?

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By jacdg

So, Borderlands Game of The Year edition is out now, and I am really considering buying this game. I was quite interested in the game when it was released last year, but I didn't buy it, and now that this super deluxe edition is released, I am, once again, wondering if it is something for me.I played the game for a few hours right after it was released with a few friends, and thought of it as a fun experience. I looooved the way you got new stuff all the time, and I thought the music and the look of the game was quite pleasant. I also found a good deal on the thing,  getting the full game plus the 3-4 DLC for half the normal retail price. However, I have already bought/spend way to much on games this year, and I regretted a bunch of them, and I don't want to make another mistake. If I buy this game, I will primarily play through it on my own, and I'm not sure that it will hold up over 25+ hours, when it's just me playing the game. I've heard the game being described as an MMO of sorts,and I have never enjoyed playing those types of games, especially not on my own. Also, when Black Ops comes out next month, most of my gaming time, if not all will be dedicated to that game.

But can you rad dudes make some arguments, that will help me decide whether or not I should buy this game? As I said, I enjoyed the hour or two I played the game last year, but that was with friends, and I'm not sure the experience will be as enjoyable or long lasting on my own.

KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By KimParnage

Do you find loot based RPG entertaining in single player..? think of Diablo, Torchlight, Sacred 2 or another game with lots of loot.. If the loot based gameplay interest you, thats a good start.. Now slap some funny characters, a cartoony style of graphics, good shooting mechanics and a descent story onto the thing.. That's Borderlands..  

I've also played the DLC's except for the new claptrap one.. Zombie Island and General Knoxx are amazing additions to the game while Moxxi's is an unlucky attempt on a coop survival kind of mode..  

Needless to say i loved the game.. completed it 2 times by myself, and 2 times with friends.. :) 

So i'd recommend it..  :)

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jayjonesjunior

buy it. 
     it's not Left 4 Dead

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By cinemandrew

I just topped 100 hours and only tried multi-player once (unsuccessfully). I have 3 of the 4 DLC packs (Zombie Ned, General Knoxx, and Claptrap), and still have yet to finish the latter two. Personally, I bought the game on PC because I was told by 3 of my buddies that they would be getting it for PC. One backed out at the last minute, the second gave up trying after less than a week of trying to get the multi-player to work (the PC multi-player was a mess at launch), and the third ended up playing with a different group of people without ever telling me when. I wish I could've played some multi-player, but I don't like playing with strangers, and as you can see, playing with friends was not really an option. This is why I generally avoid multi-player focused games.

Even so, I still found hours and hours of enjoyment, and will continue to play this game (probably) until they release the inevitable sequel.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

I won't make an argument, but I didn't mind playing alone.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By samcotts

I've put 20 hours into it so far, about 3 hours of that being with other people. It's fun on your own, but a whole lot better with others obviously. I've only played with strangers so far (something that hopefully will change when I find a co-op group, though I'm not overly bothered), and plan to play much more of it online now I have a pretty sweet character.

Don't restrict yourself to playing it by yourself, dip into the co-op occasionally. I feel the game is more about beefing out your character through levelling and looting and being proud of your dude rather than the story missions themselves, so in that respect it's comparable to an MMO, but I've never been able to enjoy one and I love Borderlands, so yeah... buy it.

reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By reign

Like most games, it's certainly more fun with friends. 

That said, it's still quite fun alone. 

Borderlands is on of those games where I just put my earbuds in and listen to podcasts while playing, because the dialogue in the game isn't frequent or that valuable (minus the claptrap stuff).

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheJohn

I've been playing it for a while now, and I'm enjoying myself immensely. Tried the multi-player once with a nice guy from the GB community, and had a good enough time that I'll definitely try that again. But even alone this game is fun!

Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the hell out of playing it alone.  So much so that I bought it again on 360 (already had it on PS3) and did it all over, and then bought the DLC.  If you're into levels and loot you'll dig it.  

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By coaxmetal

Fun to play alone, more fun with friends.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jasta

I'm willing to bet most people played the majority of the game by themselves, so yeah you will.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jacdg
    @TheRandomKo said:
    " Do you find loot based RPG entertaining in single player..? think of Diablo, Torchlight, Sacred 2 or another game with lots of loot. "
    I've never played those types of games before, so I don't know how long the "I want more stuff!!!" mentality will keep going for me, that's my biggest problem, because if I was with a friend every time I played it, I'm sure the game would "last longer". But at the price I found it at, I might be able to trade the game in and get more or less the full price back, so I might pull the trigger.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Aetheldod

Its a good game I guess .... played it alone..... liked it , played co op with a cousin ..... liked it .... hated the ending and final boss .... better than any COD game definitely , do your self a favor and play over the weekend , if you get hocked then great if not , trade it

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jacdg
    @Aetheldod said:
    " Its a good game I guess .... played it alone..... liked it , played co op with a cousin ..... liked it .... hated the ending and final boss .... better than any COD game definitely , do your self a favor and play over the weekend , if you get hocked then great if not , trade it "
    That might be the best solution, actually, thanks.
    reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By reign
    @Aetheldod said:
    " Its a good game I guess .... played it alone..... liked it , played co op with a cousin ..... liked it .... hated the ending and final boss .... better than any COD game definitely , do your self a favor and play over the weekend , if you get hocked then great if not , trade it "
    Did you just compare borderlands to call of duty? 

I'm not even gonna...
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By phantomzxro

I would say yes i played the whole story part by myself you will understand what little of the story there is and laugh at some of the great characters you may otherwise overlook while playing with friends. After you beat the game once you can do a newgame+ which then you can play with others if you want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.