Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brütal Legend

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Brütal Legend is a humorous heavy-metal, open-world, action-adventure game with light real-time strategy elements. As Eddie Riggs, lead the people of the Brütal World to rise up against the Tainted Coil demons who rule the world, and their leader, the sinister Emperor Doviculus.

Brutal Legend - reviews are up!

• 88 results
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By mike
    @Cube said:
    " Now I'm nervous. 6 hours? Fuck. "
    Eurogamer says the game can be blown through in about eight hours, not including side quests which "...are not to be missed."

Based on what I've seen and heard so far, Brutal Legend is a pass for me. The consensus seems to be a short (but fun) campaign and evidently the multiplayer is decent but not something most people will spend any great length of time with. This doesn't seem to be shaping up to be the critics' darling that Psychonauts was, or that many people hoped Brutal Legend would be.

I'd say your nervousness is perfectly justified.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Capum15
    I'll probably get this no matter what the reviews say.
    najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By najaf
    @Al3xand3r said:

Huh? Pretty much all the hype (not just from the media, but how it was pimped by the developers and publishers also) and official trailers were for the single player, story driven portion, the multiplayer only got attention as another bullet point very recently. It's never touted as a primarily multiplayer game, only as a story driven action adventure with various gameplay elements and Jack Black. "

Tim has stated that the game was built as a multiplayer game first before any of the characters, single player mechanics, or story were worked up. Because he had not done a multiplayer game before, he stated that he wanted to be sure and get it right by doing that first.  A good portion of the story combat in single player is based off of the RTS-lite multiplayer mechanics.  Interview here.

Tim Schafer: "
    You know, we always starting with the highest risk stuff, and moving down to the lowest risk stuff. So with Brutal Legend, we worked with Multiplayer, and we've never worked with multiplayer. So we knew this game was going to have a component that was head to head, you and your army fighting against another army. So the first thing we did was make was make the multiplayer working, before we did the story or anything. In 2005, we had characters fighting and having epic battles, and then actually did the story later on when we felt more confident that we knew how to do that after we did the multiplayer."
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Al3xand3r

Okay, and? Most trailers and hype are still for the Jack Black/story portions. When was that interview put up? It also pimps the explorable big huge world and characters and stuff itself, being Jack Black and all, and also shows the multiplayer wasn't even shown at that point, so people had only seen the single player pimped, since he said they'd be demoing the mp soon. That he said they got those mechanics done first doesn't mean much, since from the reviews it looks like all those RTS elements are what is used the most in the single player also, so of course it had to be solid base as it encompasses the whole game.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Cube
    @MB said:
    " @Cube said:
    " Now I'm nervous. 6 hours? Fuck. "
    Eurogamer says the game can be blown through in about eight hours, not including side quests which "...are not to be missed."  Based on what I've seen and heard so far, Brutal Legend is a pass for me. The consensus seems to be a short (but fun) campaign and evidently the multiplayer is decent but not something most people will spend any great length of time with. This doesn't seem to be shaping up to be the critics' darling that Psychonauts was, or that many people hoped Brutal Legend would be.  I'd say your nervousness is perfectly justified. "
    :( This isn't good. Brutal Legend is/was my most anticipated of the holiday season. Now I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it. Sounds like a rental.
    najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By najaf
    @Al3xand3r: I don't understand why you are trying to dismiss my response. You seemed to not be aware that this was a game that had multiplayer as a core mechanic and was the first focus. I simply pointed to a reference stating that it was. I know that the trailers are not focusing on this nor is a majority of the media covering this portion of the game. That is not the point.  

My point was that in the only review available, there was almost no mention of a large part of this game. This put me off a little. With many games today that offer relatively short single player experiences, the quality of multiplayer is (at least for me) a huge selling point.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#57  Edited By mike
    @Najaf: The reviews I've seen so far either say "Oh, it has multiplayer."...or they don't mention the multiplayer component at all, like Eurogamer. Not a good sign for a game with a short campaign.

I'll rent it.
    Slaveg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Slaveg
    @Najaf said:
    " @Al3xand3r:  After all, with many games today that offer relatively short single player experiences, multiplayer is (at least for me) a huge selling point. "
    But a lot of people don't give a fuck about multiplayer (such as myself), multiplayer isn't excuse for poor singleplayer, I just want play games on my own, without yelling kids and ladders.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#59  Edited By Yummylee

The main fault that sticks out with for me is the fact that you can't jump. No reason for such a handicap really
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Al3xand3r

You implied that the mp was more important than the sp to the game, and nothing in that interview states that. All the hype and big money has gone into the single player side (celebrities, cameos, the works) and it shows. That is all. See the hype and adverts for Brutal Legend, and then see the hype and adverts for something like Demigod. I think it shows which game is pimped as primarily mp and which isn't. If they wanted to pimp a multiplayer focused game with Brutal Legend, they sure as hell did it wrong.

Here's EA's official blurb used in all sorts of press releases and media outlets:
    Brütal Legend is an epic action game from visionary developer Tim Schafer. Jack Black stars as Eddie Riggs, a legendary roadie summoned to a world of Heavy Metal where mountains are made of amplifiers, killer spiders spin guitar strings and Rock Legends roam the landscape. As Eddie, crush skulls with a battle axe, ravage the road in a super-charged Hot Rod and unleash the power of Rock to reign down fire from the sky - all to save humanity and become a Brütal Legend.

Yup, not even a mention of multiplayer. So, I'm sorry I didn't realise it's such an important pimped component and the focus of it all.

Anyway, nuff derailing from me.

Now someone needs to take this engine and style and make a Meat Loaf game that is really epic, unlike this :-)

najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By najaf
    @Al3xand3r: No, I did not imply that the multiplayer was more important. I implied that it was important. It was important enough for Tim and his team to focus on it first. This was not to be some tacked on bullet point to boost sales, but was meant to be a big part of the game. You continue to refer to the "hype and big money" which is not relevant.  That is merely the track that the marketing team choose would produce the greatest returns. 

As I stated in my original post, the game was built from the ground up as a multiplayer title. Multiplayer was the first thing on the table, what the initial brainstorming sessions were focused on, and what a majority of the single player story combat is based on. And here we are at release with that feature lost in the storm. That is my point, nothing more.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By StaticFalconar

I'm pretty sure its a great game, but between Uncharted 2 and Borderlands, Brutal legends will just have to wait. Seriously, why can't this game be released during the summer or something?

najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By najaf

Another review from a small site, gamers hell, just went up. It seems much more frank and to the point. It does not shy away from criticizing Brutal's weaknesses. 

here.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By Jimbo

Single-digit hours for an open world game?  Hmmm.

afrokola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By afrokola
    @Shadow said:
    " Interesting how everyone talks about how shitty IGN is until they like something. "
    Hahaha, QFT!
    Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By Cadmus
    @Al3xand3r:
    what movie does that video come from?  That was awesome.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By dbz1995

Seems like a decent rent.

Avatar image for princess_isabela
    Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Princess_Isabela

it's a must have. 

reviews up to date(main post also modified to reflect changes):

93 IGN AU
    92 Megamers
    92 Team Xbox
    90 Gamepro
    90 Gamesradar
    90 GamingTrend
    90 IGN
    89 Action Trip
    83 1UP
    80 Gameinformer 
    80 Videogamer
    80 Eurogamer
    75 Gamer's Hell

there you go. 
    RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By RipTheVeins
    Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Cadmus
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By mhkjtha

Can't wait for it to be released here the 16th. I got the PS3 for this and Last Guardian.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By VWGTI
    @Babble said:
    " More reviews are up:

VideoGamer: 8/10 
    It's the RTS sections that really let the game down for me, feeling like a good idea that hasn't quite been implemented well enough to gel with the rest of the game."
    Eh, no thanks at all. I am completely unsold on this game now. I was hoping this game would help bring back the platformer, but it seems as if they took the game in another direction.  I'll be passing on this for sure.
    Mephiles1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Mephiles1990

I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this to death no matter what the reviews say. I love this style of RTS (the first time I've seen it was in the rather obscure PS2 title "Giants: Citizen Kabuto".) and I'm a big fan of heavy metal, so I'll probably enjoy every second of this, and then I'll play it again. And again. And again. Because I'm strange like that.

najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By najaf

Am I the only one who is not seeing the review content living up to the scores? I have a feeling that much like a Mario or Zelda game, Tim Schafer's name, that has a special place in many game critic's hearts, might have been subconsciously bumping up several scores. I just can't imaging a review like this getting the score it did with some no name producer at the helm. 

Lets have a look:   Italics is a generally positive paragraph, normal font is arguably neutral and bold is a generally critical/negative one.

From 1up

[Negative] 
    Brütal Legend, like its unnecessarily umlauted name implies, tosses you into an over-the-top heavy metal fairy tale. Tim Schafer's name is on the box, so you know that, just like Psychonauts and Grim Fandango, you're going to get a humorous, well-written narrative. But despite the terrific, superbly voice-acted story (featuring Jack Black, Tim Curry, and cameos from many other musicians and comedians), certain missing gameplay features, like the lack of a minimap, jump button, or warp feature make Brütal Legend feel unfinished. 

[Neutral]
    The story centers on roadie Eddie Riggs as he drops into the living, breathing world of heavy metal. He operates behind the scenes to make sure the forces of good (heavy metal) triumph over the forces of evil (hair metal). The game is mostly action mixed with a little light RTS, but in addition to your main mission to save the world, you can undertake side missions to earn extra Fire Tributes (the in-game currency) for new abilities and other upgrades. The missions themselves aren't very original, ranging from basic "kill a group of enemies before they kill you" skirmishes to races in the Deuce, Eddie's custom metalmobile. But they're all surprisingly fast-paced and not too challenging -- in another game, they might feel like overdone, unnecessary wastes of time, but in Brütal Legend, they're quick one-offs with decent rewards.

[Negative]
    But the game's simplicity isn't all good. For one thing, you can't jump, meaning it's easy to get stuck in shallow holes and behind pieces of scenery. Around halfway through the game, you gain the ability to fly; you'd assume that, after that, all your getting-stuck-in-holes woes would be over. But you're only able to take flight during the game's RTS sequences, so, not only can minor stumps and hills completely stop you in your tracks, but after the credits roll and you're given freedom to explore the world, the only way to get from one end of the map to the other is by walking or driving the Deuce. 

[Negative]  

Given all that, the first thing you'll probably notice about the game is that you don't have a minimap. When you're riding around in the Deuce, you can set waypoints on the map, and then navigate there using your tail lights. But the car's a little too slow to indicate which path you should take when you come to a fork in the road. Unless you're inside, you can also just look up at the sky and follow the large shaft of light that shines down on your target from the heavens, but when doing that, you could be driving straight towards a bottomless pit and not know it. 

[Negative]   

Hitting the Select/Back button brings up a map, but it only provides minimal information, showing Motor Forges (areas where you can upgrade your car and your character) and mission markers. Those are also the only places you can set as waypoints. If you fall off a cliff and want to try to get back to a specific point on the map (that's not a mission or Forge), you're on your own. Hidden abilities, songs, and other monuments litter the world, but you have to meticulously comb over every inch of land to find them all. And after you find them, your map doesn't give any indication of where they were located.

[Negative] 

The game's options and extras menus don't help much either. Your Tour Book records all of the equipment, units, and landmarks you find in the game, with colorful and occasionally funny descriptions. But it doesn't categorize them -- for the different factions' units, it's hard to tell at a glance where one army ends and the next begins. What's worse is that, for a game so focused on narrative, you can't pull up a recap of any of the game's cut-scenes. If you want to see the story again, you have to start from the beginning, and if you want to watch a Legend (a short, stylized history of the game world), you have to find the statue on your own out in the world.  

[Positive]

But at least when you're wandering aimlessly around, you get good music. Brütal Legend adeptly integrates its heavy metal theme into the world, both artistically and with actual heavy metal music. While cruising in the Deuce, you can choose what songs to play from a library of over a hundred tracks, or remove songs completely from the game's playlist, a nice feature in case you come across a particular track you can't stand.

[Negative]   

But Brütal Legend's main purpose is to teach you the RTS battle system. The story slowly introduces you to each of the Ironheade army's units, and gives you careful instructions on how to use them. The basics of the system are easy to grasp: the only resource comes from Fan Geysers, and the more fans you have, the more allies you can summon. The only goal is to destroy your opponent's stage on the other side of the map. But both in the main story and multiplayer, the lack of a minimap (or any way to track how many of what unit you have on the field) makes the combat frustrating. Unless you keep all your units together in a tight formation, it's easy to lose track of what you have. And once you enter into battle, it's nearly impossible to distinguish some forces from one another, or to figure out which soldiers the enemy has wiped out.  

[Posititive]

Throughout the game, you'll face three other armies: Lionwhyte's (which is a copy of yours, just with less fashion sense, and not available in multiplayer), the Drowning Doom, and the Tainted Coil. But you're on your own in learning the how to play the game's other two factions. The basic setup for all the game's forces is the same, but Double Fine did such an amazing job of creating balanced yet separate teams, that it takes a lot of practice to learn each factions' strategies -- especially since you're not given any tutorial or instruction for those armies. But with dedication and practice, Brütal Legend's multiplayer can be a lot of fun, and it's the only reason to keep playing after finishing the eight-to-10-hour main quest.

[Positive] 
    None of my complaints against Brütal Legend are game-breaking, but they turn what should be an exciting experience into a frequently frustrating one. But that shouldn't deter you from playing this game: The oversights are obvious, and they should have been addressed before the game launched. The main problem is that it doesn't feel like it was poorly designed, but that simple things were simply forgotten. But really, those things don't make the story any less entertaining, the rock god theme less enjoyable, nor the characters' well-animated faces less expressive. And with long practice and good friends, the multiplayer can be incredibly rewarding. Brütal Legend proves that Tim Schafer and the Double Fine crew can weave an entertaining experience that rises above its flaws.

Score: B+ 

In the end, yes, its just an opinion piece and is perfectly entitled to whatever score a critic wants to dish out. I just would like to think that there would have been more of a focus on why it scored so well while still mentioning its faults. Its shipping to me today, so I'll just have to wait and see for myself. Any thoughts?
    ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ververdan0226

Destructoid chimed in with a 6 out of 10.   O.o

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ieatlions

destructoids review's up - 6

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By delta_ass

Seems like Schafer always picks the wrong genres.

First with Grim Fandango, he made an adventure game, just as the adventure game genre finally died off.

Then Psychonauts... an adventure/platformer, even though nobody wanted platformers anymore.

Now in Brutal Legend, he's made a console game with heavy RTS elements, even though console RTSs suck compared to PC RTSs.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By Diamond

I've played about 1 1/2 hours so far and it's great.  The high points are definitely the humor and style so far.

Obviously I'll have to play more to see if the RTS elements become unwieldy, action gets repetitive, or the game is too short.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#79  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I do like the look of this game, but with Borderlands out next week... I'm thinking about waiting for the January sales for Brutal Legend.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#80  Edited By CL60
    @VWGTI said:
    " @Babble said:
    " More reviews are up:

VideoGamer: 8/10 
    It's the RTS sections that really let the game down for me, feeling like a good idea that hasn't quite been implemented well enough to gel with the rest of the game."
    Eh, no thanks at all. I am completely unsold on this game now. I was hoping this game would help bring back the platformer, but it seems as if they took the game in another direction.  I'll be passing on this for sure. "
    How about you hmm...form your own opinion? Amazing concept I know. But it can be done.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By VWGTI
    @CL60: 

I did form my own opinion. I don't like RTS games. I don't want to play a game that has a large focus on half-assed RTS mechanics. Wrap your little mind around that, sport.
    Orakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#82  Edited By Orakk

Brutal Legend review on GameSpot :D:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/brutallegend/review.html

-Orakk

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Yukoei

Brutal Legend is a win!

From GameSpot -

The Good

• Fantastic characters and humorous story  
    • Environments and characters have a great visual style  
    • Soundtrack has a wonderful swath of metal  
    • Stage battles are fun and challenging in multiplayer.

The Bad

• Side missions get boring fast  
    • Single-player campaign is short.

It also got 11 Good Game Emblems  -

Art House, Brutal, Funny, Great Licensed sound track, Great story, Innovative, Outstanding Gameplay, Outstanding Visual Design, Strong Competitive Multiplayer, Terrific Voice Acting, Undeniable Charm.

And only 1 Bad Game Emblems -

Short.

Last Paragraph from review -

Whether it's excellent vocal performances from heavy hitters of metal or a strong multiplayer element, Brutal Legend is a game that continually surprises, and it does so in a genuinely fun and interesting way. And Double Fine deserves some major respect for keeping so many aspects of the game closely tied to its subject matter. Of course, Brutal Legend also has some shortcomings. The secondary missions are weak and the single-player campaign lasts about seven hours if you're not too keen on unlocking every single last shrine or secret item. In that respect, it's unfortunate that there's just not more of the good stuff, such as the on-foot missions with boss battles or more fleshed-out side quests. Otherwise, Brutal Legend is just about the finest tribute to this genre of music that a fan could hope for, and its successful execution of real-time strategy elements in an action setting is something that should get everyone off their feet and clapping. 

RTS = Win

Overall - 8.5 (Great)
    RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By RipTheVeins
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Decided to pass for now, there are simply too many great titles already competing for time at my place. Combined with the upcoming must-play titles for me like Assassin's Creed 2, I'm going to hold off for a bit. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm heading into my 30th hour of NHL 10...

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Babble

I picked it up and have played a couple hours. I don't regret the purchase yet, I'm quite happy with it so far. At first the RTS stuff seemed a little weird but once you are able to look at the fight from a higher perspective it seems to work well enough.

tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87  Edited By tactis

I dont know... I am kinda falling into this trap where money is gonna be tight and I really want Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Age Origins and Assassins Creed 2 but still want one of these 3 games:
    Brutal Legend
    Borderlands
    Forza Motorsport 3 

So to me something short and more of an RTS is kinda getting off my list of games to buy... I dont know I am really waiting for Giantbomb to tell me about this game and especially the other 2 on my list.

Avatar image for princess_isabela
    Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Princess_Isabela

list of reviews up to date:

more reviews emerging:

100 gaming nexus

100  play magazine

93 ign au

93 game chronicles

92 megamers

92 teamxbox

90 gameplanet

90 gamespy

90 gamepro

90 g4tv

90 gamesradar

90 gamingtrend

90 ign

89 action trip

86 gamezone

85 armchair empire

85 gamespot

85 gametrailers

85 spazio games

84 planet xbox 360

83 1up

80 gamedaily

80 gameinformer

80 videogamer

80 eurogamer

78 strategy informer

75 game revolution

75 gamer's hell

70 wired

60 destructoid
    60 giantbomb

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.