Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bulletstorm

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Stylish, ludicrous kills net big points in this ridiculously over-the-top first-person shooter.

Is it just me or was this game really, really short?

Sedasys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Sedasys

So I got Bulletstorm today. Being the lazy fucker that I am woke up at 3pm, installed it, started playing around 3:30, played almost non stop. Finished it about ten minutes ago.
    That's like six hours when we take into account me also going off to make cups of tea and eat, give or take.
    Might just be me, but six hours seems... really damn short for a game. Maybe it's because the only games I really play are open world so I tend not to finish them so quickly because I get sidetracked. 
    Edit: Just so you now I'm in the UK so it's 10:35pm right now.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By fjordson

While I love longer games and I do feel six hours is on the short side, it's not really an abnormality. It seems every shooter I encounter these days is lucky to hit 8 hours.

ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ZoomyRamen

Six hours is fine aslong as the important question is answered "Does it stay fun"?

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By matpaget

It's unfortunate but straight up shooters seem to be getting smaller every year!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats

Heavily designed linear games are generally 6-8 these days, rarely passing 12. CoD games are only 6-7, and I'd say that they are worth 10 dollars an hour (I hate the frigging multiplayer).

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Sambambo

The game is based around score right? Go to
    Echoes mode and kick some ass.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShaggE
    @SuperSambo said:
    " The game is based around score right? Go to Echoes mode and kick some ass. "
    That about sums it up. When I finished the campaign, I immediately wanted more, and Echoes is replayable enough to keep things going for quite awhile. 
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HydraHam

6 hours is fine, this is a FPS not RPG, if you are wanting long dragged out storylines watch a tv show or play a JRPG.

this game is more focused on the horde type mode and echoes.

confinedbread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By confinedbread

The whole length issue is the reason I'm waiting a while to pick this one up. I love games like Fallout and Borderlands that keep me fighting for hours upon hours. Maybe it's just the RPG elements, but they're both shooters too (sorta). I'd really love to see a linear fps that keeps going for a good 50 hours without getting stale. That, or another game with crazy splitscreen deathmatches like timesplitters. I'd especially love to see somebody like people can fly pull it off, like timesplitters. God, I just remembered how much I love Timesplitters. I'm gonna go play some timesplitters

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How was it? Did you enjoy the campaign?

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Skald
    @confinedbread said:
    " The whole length issue is the reason I'm waiting a while to pick this one up. "
    Bingo. I can wait this one out until the price drops.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By BeachThunder

In 10 years time we'll all be saying "15 mins is fine, this is an FPS, not an RPG"

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

If the game is half as replayable as the demo was, I'll play through it at least 4 times.  

6 hours is fine for the basic campaign. It's not criminal like Kayne and Lynch 2 or Mirror's Edge, but it's not impressive. Great games like Gears of War or Call of Duty 4 are about that long. Quality over quantity, as long as there is enough to satisfy your appetite. 

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By craigbo180
    @confinedbread said:
    " God, I just remembered how much I love Timesplitters. I'm gonna go play some timesplitters "
    All roads lead to this realization when discussing first person shooters.
    Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By Xanth93

Just because it's an FPS doesn't mean it should be short. That's bullshit. Halo 1 is a lot longer than 6 hours and it's an FPS--one of the greatest made to this day. Developers should really spend more time on the single player, especially if a multiplayer is nowhere to be found.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaggE

Devil's advocate: Bulletstorm is like one big setpiece from intro to credits. There's no padding, and barely any downtime between fights or big events. It just doesn't stop.  Look at Half Life 2. That's a beefy FPS at around 10-13 hours. But if you trimmed all of the downtime, it'd probably match Bulletstorm in length.     

I'm not saying 6 should be the standard, mind you... my first thought upon credit roll was "Already?". I'm just saying that this is a throwback game in every sense of the word. It's the kind of game you come back to over and over again, because it aims to do only one thing, and it does that one thing well. This is the kind of game speedruns are made of.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MisterChief
    @Xanth93 said:
    " Just because it's an FPS doesn't mean it should be short. That's bullshit. Halo 1 is a lot longer than 6 hours and it's an FPS--one of the greatest made to this day. Developers should really spend more time on the single player, especially if a multiplayer is nowhere to be found. "
    Halo 1 is a decade old. Try compare the length to Halo: Reach and see what you come up with.
    hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By hanktherapper

That is short. But it also depends on the game. Vanquish was about six hours, but when I got done I played it again. Then I played it a third time. Of course I didn't buy Vanquish until it went on sale for $40.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Mystyr_E

Beat the game and my main problem is this: the skillshot stuff doesn't really excite anymore and it just becomes part of the action, kind of like Split Second. When you've kicked one enemy into a cactus, it's funny, but the 36th and it gets old. Granted they do add some cool new weaponry but other than that, the main hook of the game just isn't as exciting as when it started

conantheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By conantheking

6 hours is not fine when you don't have competitive multi player, games like New Vegas and Borderlands can manage to easily push 12+ hours when they don't think about the multiplayer.

And no, I don't consider people comparing high scores after co-op as competitive multi player.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By buft
    @BeachThunder said:
    " In 10 years time we'll all be saying "15 mins is fine, this is an FPS, not an RPG" "
    i can see that too, like vanquish last year, you can blast through that in 4-5 hours but everyone defended that because it was so much fun. 

@Sedasys
    said:
    " So I got Bulletstorm today. Being the lazy fucker that I am woke up at 3pm, installed it, started playing around 3:30, played almost non stop. Finished it about ten minutes ago. That's like six hours when we take into account me also going off to make cups of tea and eat, give or take.Might just be me, but six hours seems... really damn short for a game. Maybe it's because the only games I really play are open world so I tend not to finish them so quickly because I get sidetracked.  Edit: Just so you now I'm in the UK so it's 10:35pm right now. "
    that sucks Jeff was saying in the live quicklook that the game seemed pretty long, he mentioned the first chapter took over an hour, I'll still pick this up because i really love Coop games and the multiplayer looks pretty fun and i got 3 buddies to play with.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Took me 10 hours on Hard. Didn't die much though, just took my time.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Azteck
    @Mystyr_E said:
    " Beat the game and my main problem is this: the skillshot stuff doesn't really excite anymore and it just becomes part of the action, kind of like Split Second. When you've kicked one enemy into a cactus, it's funny, but the 36th and it gets old. Granted they do add some cool new weaponry but other than that, the main hook of the game just isn't as exciting as when it started "
    This is kind of what I feared about this game, and is also the reason I didn't pick it up. I'll wait until I can get it for $20 or less.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dbz1995
    @craigbo180 said:
    " @confinedbread said:
    " God, I just remembered how much I love Timesplitters. I'm gonna go play some timesplitters "
    All roads lead to this realization when discussing first person shooters. "
    I sold my PS2 but not Timesplitters, in case I went to my friends house to play it. He lives in another country.
     That's how good that game is.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#25  Edited By Soap

You want to talk about a short game, me and a friend got through Kane and Lynch 2 in just under 2 hours 45 minutes on our first playthrough and it was on hard.  

I'm not trying to say I'm great at that game or anything, it's was just that pathetic in length.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By Yanngc33
    @conantheking said:
    " 6 hours is not fine when you don't have competitive multi player, games like New Vegas and Borderlands can manage to easily push 12+ hours when they don't think about the multiplayer.  And no, I don't consider people comparing high scores after co-op as competitive multi player. "
    Your right, I don't give a shit about highscores in an FPS they should've added something real competitive I feel like they just got lazy
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

Depends entirely on the game itself and the quality of said gameplay. I don't think Dead Space 2 is far from the 6 hour mark itself, my first playthrough was about 7 and that was on the Zealot setting, I felt like the game completely justified the cost though.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I would much rather have a great five hours then a boring 10 hours.  And its my experience that most games are 5-10hrs long these days unless its a RPG.    

Boostergold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Boostergold

Me and my brother played this game on hard (which incidentally wasn't very hard at all) we beat it in about 10 hours with only a few trouble spots where we needed to do the same spot max 4 times! So I'd suggest trying it on Very Hard to get a longer and possibly a more enjoyable gaming experience! 
    Overall though the game was fun and action packed with pretty nice world build also it was full of ridiculous lines like "I'll kill your dick!", my vote for dialogue of the year!
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pinworm45
    @sins_of_mosin said:
    " I would much rather have a great five hours then a boring 10 hours.  And its my experience that most games are 5-10hrs long these days unless its a RPG.     "
    Why do people always assume that if a game is longer than 6 hours then you sacrifice quality? it's not like there's a shortage of games that have been long and of high quality consistently.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BBQBram

That's not a problem for me seeing how score-focused this game is.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Edwardryu

before I played it, I thought the same thing. well, it was mostly guess. but I was wrong, you guys were wrong, too. I just finished the game today (normal difficulty). it was spent about 9 hours 40 minutes. I can say it is longer for FPS genre. so I did enjoy so much. I love this game. unlikely generic FPS, it gives me lots of different killing skills even this is kind of repetitive job. of course, other games are all similar in terms of controlling.  

anyway, it is not short. it is similar with dead space 2 length. 

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By Yanngc33
    @Sedasys: Your right it is really short, just finished it in one sitting and my ass didn't even start to hurt
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mrfizzy

Hmmm, i don't really have a problem with it as long as it stays fun for those six hours i guess. I get the feeling that with a game like that, any longer and your going to start risking boredom? 

Sedasys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sedasys
    @mrfizzy:  Not really. Longer than six hours is good, but something as long as, say, Borderlands, that got boring real quick. I probably just suck at it and it was short but I only got through the first zone then I got bored because I had nobody to play with.
    But that's fair enough. The six hours were very, very fun. Here's hoping for some DLC.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5bd08a8235d7e
    deactivated-5bd08a8235d7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like the sort of game where if it was any longer, it would just feel really stretched out, and would cease to be fun at that point.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mfpantst
    @Sedasys:@Jaxley:So i clocked in at almost exactly 8 hours.  If it had been longer, it would have been strectched, although there's probably another hour they could have backed into the last acts.  Not that I mind though, the whole game was fun enough I'll probably play again.  Not to mention Echos.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By KaosAngel

Its not the length that matters but how the experience was. My wife told me that.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mfpantst
    @KaosAngel: She was being nice.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

So much for bulletstorm,i really did want to get this game,but if its only 6 hours im just gonna forget about it.
    Being that i started watching Burn Notice i became interested in acquiring Alpha Protocol.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dragonzord

People would rather play a dull, badly coded game that drags the story on for too long rather than a short, action packed movie? Something like Bulletstorm couldn't work long term. I remember playing Resistance 1 and just begging to find the final boss so I could be done with the campaign. It stretched on FAR too long.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Faint

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'd prefer much lengthier and consistently interesting campaigns in shooters of this sort (that actually try to switch up the fps formula) in sacrifice of multiplayer. I'm probably the only person in the world who feels this way, but oh well.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#43  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @sins_of_mosin said:
    " I would much rather have a great five hours then a boring 10 hours.  And its my experience that most games are 5-10hrs long these days unless its a RPG.     "
    Why do people always assume that if a game is longer than 6 hours then you sacrifice quality? it's not like there's a shortage of games that have been long and of high quality consistently. "

I have no idea since I didn't say anything like that.  Just saying which game I would prefer.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I thought the campaign was the right length and I'm totally happy with it.

I doubt People can Fly decided exactly how long they wanted the game. You also have to consider what goes into making a video game these days. I game with such detailed graphics and production values as Bulletstorm can't be easy to make, Plus your on a time limit. Most company aren't like valve where they can spend as much time as they want. 

If theres a Bulletstorm 2, which is likely if this sells well, then I'm willing to bet its campaign will be longer since a lot of the work are already done.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Edwardryu

for FPS, don't expect longer gameplay through. it has happened all the time. but there are few games which are not following. Bulletstorm is one of them. I think that length of time depends on each difficulty level. as I said, when I finished it, it was 9 hours 40 minutes (very first time it usually takes little more longer because you don't know what'll be coming). then next  time when I will play it again, it will be the same or less shorter. but my point is that length is not a matter. story, graphic, characters, environment, cool effect, the way of gameplay are much more important. I think that Bulletstorm has fine single player mode with a good story. anyway it seems that Epic will make sequel when you play very end of the game. 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By napalm

I loved the campaign length. It's action packed, intense, to the point, and ready to rock'n roll at every turn.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.