Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Can we talk about what's wrong with Call of Duty?

Avatar image for jordanarytherapist
    JordanaryTherapist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all. 

I'm not here to slam CoD or Black Ops (a game of which I am a big fan, actually) I just wanted to have a conversation about the things wrong with the series in it's modern iterations, and maybe some of you know some reasons why things are how they are.  

I have played the games on all three major platforms so I'm not trying to present a bias opinion.  So let's get this started.

1.   The first I would like to address is well known to everyone, the knife.  Can anyone explain this?  Half the time I don't lunge/get lunged at, the other half I do.  Half of the time I knife first and lose and the other half it's the opposite.  Not to mention being behind people and getting knifed by them.

2.  The second thing sort of branches off of #1.  Why is it that the 3rd person view of an enemy doesn't represent what they see in 1st?  For example it looks like they're reloading for your perspective but they aren't.  Also when you're close to one and shooting them in the back and they kill you, you watch the killcam and it looks to them like you were in front.  Is this a game engine problem or what?

3.  Last  also sort of branches from the previous.  Dying around corners.  In a game with no lag at all it will still happen; you get in a firefight, run around a corner for cover, and you're dead on the other side. 

I'm sure I haven't covered everything, so feel free to add.  Just looking for some intelligent conversation on this subject

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DonPixel

What about having 10 call of dutys remakes with the same old engine in like 4 years?  it's biggest problem to me

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Skytylz
    @DonPixel said:
    " What about having 10 call of dutys remakes with the same old engine in like 4 years?  it's biggest problem to me "
    Pretty much what I was going to say, they just need to give it a rest.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Enigma777

1. Dunno why it doesn't always lunge, but it has something to do with where you're aiming and how far you are I think. As for the rest, it's usually server/client lag 
    2. Server/client lag - It happens in every multiplayer game, but most hide it. The killcam is the culprit here
    3. I'm not familiar with this one tbh since it has never happened to me. Probably lag though...

JordanaryTherapist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Skytylz: 
    Yeah I just don't see why they haven't yet.  Maybe because they insist on pumping them out so rapidly.  You can pretty much watch the decline of the gameplay over the course of the series.  I won't even give CoD a thought till there's a new engine.
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By monetarydread
    @JordanaryTherapist: 

1,2, &3: The game uses lag correction. If your ping sucks the game tries to predict the action around you. That is why sometimes you think you hit the knife first, even though you didn't. It is also why the replay represents more what actually happened than what is on your screen.
    captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By captain_max707

I think that the main problem is that Call of Duty is... Call of Duty. A break would be nice, however I doubt Activision will stop milking this series until it stops selling. That's what surprises me, that people keep buying them. 

My thoughts.

JordanaryTherapist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MonetaryDread said:
    " @JordanaryTherapist:   1,2, &3: The game uses lag correction. If your ping sucks the game tries to predict the action around you. That is why sometimes you think you hit the knife first, even though you didn't. It is also why the replay represents more what actually happened than what is on your screen. "
    That's good to know. 
    So it's sort of a combination of fault on both lag and the game (for correcting it the way it does)?
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Skytylz
    @JordanaryTherapist:  They make a billion dollars a pop regardless of quality, they couldn't care less.  They are gonna guitar hero this shit into the ground.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Saying bad things about Call of Duty is totally taboo. Duck for cover if you notice a laser sight aimed at your head.

As for the first thing, that may have to do with lag or hosting. When it's real close, sometimes it looks like you get the kill when you don't. For the second thing, I don't know. Halo's like that too. I think all FPS games are, actually. Lastly, I don't know.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#11  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

My only real problem with the Call of Duty games lies in its scripted nature.  Normally, I'm a huge fan of these kinds of things (it leads to some awesome visceral moments), but when you've got a mission like the one near the end of Black Ops (MINOR SPOILERS) when you need to follow Reznov with the hatchet while staying in the cover of darkness, the game has some glaring moments of script-itis.  I can't tell you how many times I had to restart that mission, thinking that I needed better cover, better darkness, an angle away from the helicopter - everything any other stealth game would have encouraged.  Once I figured out the trigger to kill the guard, it was clearly obvious what the designers intended, but for that short time, the scripted event pissed me off.  

There doesn't need to be much of a solution here - just maybe a pointer or two from Reznov if you die/fail multiple times.  An audio cue or an onscreen message about looking for a signal to move up would've worked as well.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Helushune

All of your problems are networking related.  The player prediction code in black ops is pretty bad and causes a ton of issues like what you're seeing.  This will occur with or without bad/laggy connections, it has to do with how often the clients update to the host box which is typically a hard coded value.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

No Sniper mission.
    JordanaryTherapist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Helushune said:
    " All of your problems are networking related.  The player prediction code in black ops is pretty bad and causes a ton of issues like what you're seeing.  This will occur with or without bad/laggy connections, it has to do with how often the clients update to the host box which is typically a hard coded value. "
    Thanks for helping me understand.  I'm glad I'm not crazy lol.  

A lot of what you guys have said about problems I didn't mention; I agree with.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo

Well, Black Ops is made by Treyarch. That's the root of all problems.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NakAttack
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    "

My only real problem with the Call of Duty games lies in its scripted nature.  Normally, I'm a huge fan of these kinds of things (it leads to some awesome visceral moments), but when you've got a mission like the one near the end of Black Ops (MINOR SPOILERS) when you need to follow Reznov with the hatchet while staying in the cover of darkness, the game has some glaring moments of script-itis.  I can't tell you how many times I had to restart that mission, thinking that I needed better cover, better darkness, an angle away from the helicopter - everything any other stealth game would have encouraged.  Once I figured out the trigger to kill the guard, it was clearly obvious what the designers intended, but for that short time, the scripted event pissed me off.  

There doesn't need to be much of a solution here - just maybe a pointer or two from Reznov if you die/fail multiple times.  An audio cue or an onscreen message about looking for a signal to move up would've worked as well.

"
    that mission drove me insane, each time i died i went through the same motions, what a game breaker for me.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By MooseyMcMan

You need to use more skill. 

Monocle493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Monocle493

My biggest problem with Black Ops is that its basically a mod. They literally added no new gameplay mechanics or anything to change up the multiplayer system, its the same old shit. And I personally can't even play it due to the monotonus gameplay, Everyone plays like this --------->      SPAWN-Sprint out/Throw a grenade/get mowed down- SPAWN/ run around, shoot some dudes, die *Repeat. Its so braindead, and boring. I prefer games like CSS and BFBC2 which require at least a little brain power.

JordanaryTherapist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MooseyMcMan said:
    " You need to use more skill.  "
    Not quite sure CoD and skill fit together well.. lol

@Monocle493 said:
    "

My biggest problem with Black Ops is that its basically a mod. They literally added no new gameplay mechanics or anything to change up the multiplayer system, its the same old shit. And I personally can't even play it due to the monotonus gameplay, Everyone plays like this --------->      SPAWN-Sprint out/Throw a grenade/get mowed down- SPAWN/ run around, shoot some dudes, die *Repeat. Its so braindead, and boring. I prefer games like CSS and BFBC2 which require at least a little brain power.

"
    Yeah I agree, it is pretty much a brain dead activity/community. Unfortunately I have been burned out on BFBC2 so I have to wait for something else to come along.  Though going back to Gears 2 has proven to be rejuvenating.
    fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By fullmetal5550

The story for Modern Warfare 2 was pretty bad. There were plot holes everywhere in the story. The games being developed on the same engine does not bother me. 

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wickedsc3

I'm 3 prestige so i have actually put in a lot of time playing it and i have to say.................fucking disappointing, I'm probably going to go back to MW2.   I even bought the hardened edition I like the games but im about to give up on the franchise because they never really fix any of the problems.

1.  The spawning in this game sucks so bad and they wont fix it, there was an update that addressed it but actually didnt do anything i still get spawns behind me, Take two steps and and enemy comes around the corner, ect....   
    2.  Camping, now i know this isn't there fault but i have posted it time and time again on there site on how to fix it and they won't.  If a player stays in the same 3  foot radius for a given amount of time they should automatically show up on the mini map.  
    3.  P2P severs flat out suck, i have lost thousands of xp due to people "dashboarding", "plug pullers" ect.
    4.  The so called COD points system is fucking stupid.  Now instead of waiting till your at a certain level to unlock and receive the item like in mw2, u also have to have the money to buy it.  They were making such a big deal about this but it is not different, just one more extra step in that you have to have the money for it.  Im talking about the gun in this case.  Not the perks.
    4.  So much more........... Don't want to bore you with more but just want to say i will not buy the next one until i try it out because im not going to keep giving them money for the same shitty stuff.

jaketaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jaketaylor

Hey, guys, guys, wait hold on. How about we just do the same thing as last year except we let you paint your face and dive around? Ship it.

mattblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mattblitz

Most of the people who think Black Ops is in ANY way worse than MW2 are just not hardcore gamers.  Many people got their start in the CoD series with MW2, or "coincidentally" were bad at CoD4/WaW but found refuge with overpowered air support in MW2.  When people switch back to a game that's a little bit harder to shoot and kill, people get mad.  As someone who has played 380 matches and lost ZERO of them, I can say with certainty that any problems you're experiencing are simply "you're doing it wrong."  This is a game where better aiming and better strategy will guarantee you the win 100% of the time.  Good players will be able to kill 4 or 5 people while running around, not camping.  Camping only makes your leaderboard ranking drop significantly anyways, which MANY people care about.  This game is much faster paced because people are running around trying to boost their rank.

It's also a bit funny because half of the dissenting community says they changed too much (as I just addressed) but the other half says that they didn't change anything.  Which is it folks?  Black Ops is quite frankly the MW2 that 99% of Call of Duty players were hoping for last year.  I don't know what else to say.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By nintendoeats

I love the single player...but here's the thing that bugs me about the multiplayer:

Its chaos. Absolute freaking chaos. I honestly see no way that you can get better at it when so much of it seems random. Its probably kind of realistic, but since its impossible to coordinate people like in a real battlefield the realism turns into monotony. I can see pro-CoD being fun because everyone on your team is working together, but random game joining feels lame.

People coordinate in CSS, I don't know why they can't do it in CoD.

AvidAnarchist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AvidAnarchist

Is it just me or does it take a LOT more hits to kill someone? I'm not raging or anything, but I've gotten hit markers in Hardcore with a shotgun =.= It's a little too easy to spawn camp, I felt like I was playing Halo 3 all over again lol. I absolutely despise the zombie mode. Why should zombies get stronger and stronger? And paying to open a door? Wtf >.> I like how Red Dead Redemption set their zombie mode up. They don't get significantly stronger with each wave, they just grow in number. I enjoy playing it with my friends, it's just a little flawed, if you ask me. Oh, one more thing. Why are dogs super-heroes? If someone calls in dogs, it's game over. They basically touch you and you die. They couldn't take the time to add the MW2 thing where you can fight them off of you? I am disappoint.

mattblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mattblitz
    @nintendoeats said:
    " I love the single player...but here's the thing that bugs me about the multiplayer:  Its chaos. Absolute freaking chaos. I honestly see no way that you can get better at it when so much of it seems random. Its probably kind of realistic, but since its impossible to coordinate people like in a real battlefield the realism turns into monotony. I can see pro-CoD being fun because everyone on your team is working together, but random game joining feels lame.  People coordinate in CSS, I don't know why they can't do it in CoD. "

I HIGHLY recommend you grab some friends who know how to listen, or stick to stuff like FFA or low Wagers.  You really CAN get better a lot individually, but the frustration you feel without a team in a 6v6 situation will probably counteract your will to work on your skills.  You get so much better just having one other person to communicate and use teamwork with, trust me.  ^_^

And the only reason it's harder to coordinate people in this compared to CS is because this userbase is just naturally more of a casual, fun-loving group of teenagers.  Most people really don't care enough to slap a headset on or work together.  That's why I stick to FFA if I don't have any friends online.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I want an all out sniper dedicated Call of Duty. Make it happen.

And no, not like the mess Sniper Ghost Warrior. Fuck. That.

mattblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mattblitz
    @AvidAnarchist said:
    " Is it just me or does it take a LOT more hits to kill someone? I'm not raging or anything, but I've gotten hit markers in Hardcore with a shotgun =.= It's a little too easy to spawn camp, I felt like I was playing Halo 3 all over again lol. I absolutely despise the zombie mode. Why should zombies get stronger and stronger? And paying to open a door? Wtf >.> I like how Red Dead Redemption set their zombie mode up. They don't get significantly stronger with each wave, they just grow in number. I enjoy playing it with my friends, it's just a little flawed, if you ask me. Oh, one more thing. Why are dogs super-heroes? If someone calls in dogs, it's game over. They basically touch you and you die. They couldn't take the time to add the MW2 thing where you can fight them off of you? I am disappoint. "
    It takes an extra bullet in most cases (no stopping power) and the guns are slightly harder to control.  It's actually harder to spawn camp because you have a better ability to outshoot people.  You don't often (ever?) spawn with someone DIRECTLY pointing the sights on you, so you should really be able to shoot anyone who is trying to attack your base.  In fact, the spawns are a little messed up sometimes so that you'll actually spawn BEHIND the other team.  If anything it's harder to spawn camp because you never know if they're just going to pop up behind you.  If you're pushing hard, they're probably going to get flipped.  

@Zombie mode:  It is mostly them rising in numbers, though.  You're increasingly getting better weapons so it really shouldn't seem like they're getting way harder to kill.  Are you playing with a good team of friends, or are you just going in alone not knowing what to do?  There's a lot of strategy involved in it, so you're probably still learning.  Don't worry ^_^  Maybe it's not your thing, but I'm confident you won't see the individual zombies getting very strong once you're less overwhelmed by it.  You should have some pretty baller guns after it gets going and you unlock all the rooms.

@Dogs:  I can't deny that.  It's pretty tricky to get 11 kills (without killstreaks) so it's SOMEWHAT justified.  I agree it's pretty ridiculous to fight off dogs, but honestly no one should be getting 11 kills without dying.  It's not like MW2 where someone gets 5 kills, uses that streak to 7, uses that to 11, or something of that sort.  This is all gun kills, straight up running and killing.  Again, I have to say you might want to grab some friends when you play, or play FFA.  If you're playing FFA there's really no excuse to let someone get 11 kills and no deaths :P
    Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Arbie

1 and 2 sound like lag fun fun lag issues. I'm sure it was talked about in another thread where some guy was unloading an entire mag into people and it wasn't killing them. Or something...

3 just sounds like you got unlucky. I've been shot through all sorts and watched the killcam back to see the shooter actually just shooting through the wall lol.

I think you missed 4 thought. Why on earth didn't Zork get GOTY?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Jimbo

I've never cared for CoD's multiplayer, but I feel like Treyarch are still miles behind(ex) IW's level when it comes to crafting campaigns.  I just got done with the Black Ops campaign: the active game space almost always felt too cramped (frustrating), you spend far too long with the controls taken away from you (frustrating), you rarely feel like you're part of a full-on battle (which is what seperated CoD from pretty much everything else in the first place), all of the sections where they tried to switch things up (the boat, helos, SR71 etc.) were just poorly executed and the story was about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face.

After playing (more like 'watching') Black Ops I just don't think Treyarch have what it takes to keep CoD on top when Respawn and Bungie are back in the fray.  The CoD brand will keep those games selling for a while, but that alone won't be enough forever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.