Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

I am shockingly mediocre at this game. Can it last?

EricMartens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EricMartens

When it comes to multiplayer games, I'm the definition of noob... I think I've played around two hours total of COD4 and MW2 multiplayer. My experience with MW2 went something like this: Spawn -> take 3 steps -> get killed by an airstrike -> repeat. I'd pretty much written off multiplayer in general.

But thanks to some serious boredom last night, after some runs against bots to boost my confidence, I gave team deathmatch on Black Ops a run, and actually had a really good time. I joined multiple lobbies over the course of three or so hours, and I didn't hear a single racist/homophobic rant, or run into any screaming kiddies like I'd feared. What's even weirder is that I was only 75% useless; after a few rounds I was consistently scoring in the middle of my team, and even managed a positive kill/death ratio a few times. 

My question: can this last? Was it beginner's luck? Are the better players playing different game types? As the game is out longer and people learn the maps will I go back to being cannon fodder? Just wondering how multiplayer communities for these games usually evolve.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mrskidders

All depends on the lobbys, the players, the gametype and many other factors.  You probably just suck at playing well and jumped into a lobby of new players and got lucky.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Mystyr_E

Play more, play with people you know and unlock better guns. I was like you, I was playing for shit, bullets weren't registering and couldn't get a handle for the guns, but once I unlocked more things and got better guns and perks, my k/d finally went into the positives so just keep at it but I wouldn't recommend playing with randoms anymore.

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I can totally relate. I played it online for the first time last night and started terribly but got better as I went along. To answer your question: No it probably won't last. Not unless you play it incessantly to learn the maps and generally keep your skills sharp.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 9cupsoftea

The more you play, the better you get - it's that simple. There's no real formula to getting better, but if you play a lot, you learn the maps well, you get better responsively, and you just get into frame of mind. It will last, so long as you keep playing.    Good COD players haven't figured something out, or are blessed with sheer natural ability, they just play a lot. 

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By fishmicmuffin

Stick with the multiplayer for a bit and see how you feel. The glory of small sample sizes is that anything can happen. Who knows, maybe last night you were playing worse than you normally would, and you are in fact a better player than you thought. You'll never know unless you keep at it. Play enough so that you have a big enough pool of games to really judge how good you are at the game.

kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By kenya24

Another suggestion is learn where people tend to go (most people do the same things in the same spots). Think "When I go around this corner, where is the other guy most often?" For example, maps like Firing range have some spots near the bathroom (along that long side) where there's obvious cover at the corners, and guys are almost always there. Go around the corner and aim to those spots everytime, regardless of whether you think someone is there. It doubles as practice if there's nobody there to kill.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By meteora

You'll get familiar with the formula the longer you play. You'll get better, but so will other players. Just keep playing and you'll do alright.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grissefar

It's easy to do well if you follow these simple tips:

1. Use a silencer. Get used to it. If you're a red dot on the map, you're already dead.
    2. Stay at the edges of the map. If you can't get flanked, your survival rate will sky rocket.
    3. Don't run and take it easy. Running around a corner against a walking enemy gets you killed.
    4. Don't play if you're getting annoyed. You will just die over and over at the same spot.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @EricMartens: If you're playing on your own, I recommend playing Mercenary stuff. That way you won't run into groups of people who just rape. That what I do since I have no friends who play. That way you'll play with people who are in the same boat as you (at least being alone).
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By nintendoeats

I've played a good 500 hours of CS and I still suck at it, but that's kind of a SFII syndrome thing: People have been playing that game for so long that anybody with less than 1000 hours is going to get murdered (at least that's what I keep telling myself). MW isn't like that yet, I think that there is still time to break in. Yeah you'll get killed, but there aren't a lot of people who are super-veterans running around.

Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Verit
    @Lukeweizer said:
    " @EricMartens: If you're playing on your own, I recommend playing Mercenary stuff. That way you won't run into groups of people who just rape. That what I do since I have no friends who play. That way you'll play with people who are in the same boat as you (at least being alone). "
    That is one of the best pieces of information for new players, learned that from a friend when I started CoD4. Unfortunately, the downside is that people can enter a mercenary and their friends can just put "join session in progress", so they basically cheat the system.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JoelTGM

I say just keep playing multiplayer, and you'll keep getting better at it.  If you don't like to play games with other people that's a lot of value lost from games.  You'll sometimes get in matches with really good players and you will have a hard time, but don't let it frustrate you.  As long as you don't care about losing or dieing then you'll have fun.  Also try the wager matches, that stuff is fun like when everyone has crossbows or random weapons.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crono11

I was absolutely terrible at Call of Duty until about my 4th prestige in Call of Duty 4. The only reason I stuck with it was because I played with friends and, even though I was dying a lot, I was having fun.  

You'll get better with time. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Play defensively. The problem I have is running into people who usually have guns with better range than I do. After that, you should focus on being able to sense, and react quickly to any sort of motion within (and outside of) your field of vision.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Mighty

Unfortunately, no, not unless you really practice at it.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By mikemcn

Defensive is the way to go, also keep in mind, this game is always faster than you want it to be.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Synthballs
    @EricMartens: Sometimes I do good too. other times It's horrible. 

What makes me look bad is, my deaths go way up cause I'm not a camping faggot. I go looking for people.
    damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19  Edited By damnboyadvance

Multiplayer takes a few round to get used to for almost any game. I just usually play defense for a while, and then play offense when I'm more used to the game.

You have to play quite a bit of a game to get good at it.

rhacer63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rhacer63

My XBox Live motto is "I Know I Suck"

My K/d is currently something like 0.66, but I'm having a heckuva good time. Some of that is because I've gotten to play with all three of my sons which is a new thing (split screen + multiple live accounts is very very cool).  Some of that is because the maps are fantastic, and some of that is because of the unlocks and ranking system.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21  Edited By ShinjiEx

Maps make or break a game

Thankfully Ops has the best maps I have seen ever for the series so this will help me and others stay glued

Unlike MW2 which was a futility in frustrations do to the bland campy maps

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Learn the maps, unlock some weapons and then decide again.
    I was ready to also burn this disc as I did MW2's but I unlocked some more weapons and now it seems I'm doing way better.

anterline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By anterline

Black ops has bots right? It's there for a reason. But just keep playing, you will eventually get good at it.

CrazedMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CrazedMaverick

I'm in the same boat as you. I can get pretty good if I play every day but unfortunately I can't. So I usually end up jumping into games, sucking hard and then stopping. But the bot thing looks somewhat promising. I can see myself playing mainly bots and then jumping into online games every once in awhile or when friends are on.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lebkin
    @Grissefar said:
    " It's easy to do well if you follow these simple tips:      1. Use a silencer. Get used to it. If you're a red dot on the map, you're already dead.  2. Stay at the edges of the map. If you can't get flanked, your survival rate will sky rocket. 3. Don't run and take it easy. Running around a corner against a walking enemy gets you killed. 4. Don't play if you're getting annoyed. You will just die over and over at the same spot. "
    These are pretty good tips. I will add another to this list: 
    5. Follow someone 

Call of Duty is full of lone wolf players. The default is to run on your own and fight one-on-one battles. If you follow someone, suddenly they become two-on-one battles and you'll survive a lot more of them. Plus it will give you good direction on where to go on maps you are not familiar with. You can even be picky with who you follow. Look at your team's leaderboard. Follow the people at the top and do what they do.
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ClaritySam
    @ShinjiEx said:
    " Maps make or break a game  Thankfully Ops has the best maps I have seen ever for the series so this will help me and others stay glued  Unlike MW2 which was a futility in frustrations do to the bland campy maps "
    The layout of the maps is better in Black Ops for sure, but I can't help feeling they all seem much more aesthetically bland than the ones in MW2.  Other than Nuketown, there aren't any maps that really stick out visually in my opinion. 
    Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Liono88

10,000 hour rule. Play your game enough and you'll eventually gather some sort of skill.

EricMartens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EricMartens

Thanks for all the responses... been playing the last few nights and reached level 20. I'm still in the middle most of the time, rarely (but occasionally) dead last, and definitely still enjoying myself. Having a wife and daughter is going to keep me from becoming a full-fledged pro at this game, but I'm having a good time, which is not something I ever thought I'd say about a multiplayer game. A big thank you to Treyarch for putting the bots in here. Without some practice against them I highly doubt I'd have ventured online at all. Wish more games did that (ahem, Halo). They also did a nice job with the progression stuff; always earning random XP from challenges makes the level grind seem faster for some reason.

Oddly, a lot of people recommended that I play with folks I know, but my MW2 experience taught me that was a bad thing. Everybody I know is in the same married/kids boat and just as bad at the game as I am, but the matchmaking kept putting us all on the same team. Which is probably why every round turned into Airstrike Fiesta. After each round, the other teams were literally begging us not to leave their lobby (or calling us fags). I guess I could try the Mercenary mode with friends, but most of my friends seem to have skipped this CoD. Ah, well.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By metalmoog

I've given up trying to come out tops in this game and am resigned to the fact that I am very average at CoD. Not the shittiest but not the best either. I'm happy to accept landing in the middle of the scoreboard on 90% of matches. I'm 30, have slower reflexes than a 16 year old and don't play the game 24 hours a day. Once I gave up worrying about my K/D and how many times I died, I generally found myself less stressed out and doing much better at the game and enjoying the game a shitload.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kerse

i bought the game and jumped into multiplayer first and i was doing amazing, then i played the campaign all the way through and i suck again at multiplayer, it always gives me such bad habits

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Just wait until December 26th when all the irresponsible parents get their screaming children copies of Black ops as it makes their lives easier than dealing with their own hellspawn and well see about how quiet,polite and non-racist the community has become.  Im just enjoying it as much as I can before then. Wish MS could have mature player matchmaking system, hell id even pay a few more bucks a year for one. Oh well.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kerse
    @Twisted_Scot said:
    " Just wait until December 26th when all the irresponsible parents get their screaming children copies of Black ops as it makes their lives easier than dealing with their own hellspawn and well see about how quiet,polite and non-racist the community has become.  Im just enjoying it as much as I can before then. Wish MS could have mature player matchmaking system, hell id even pay a few more bucks a year for one. Oh well. "
    yeah from what ive played of it so far its really really really quiet compared to the others

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.