Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Say goodbye to quickscoping in Black Ops

• 93 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

When asked if quickscoping will be a part of Black Ops...

Josh Olin (Black Ops community manager):  "No. Quickscoping is a cheap way to play. We're specifically going to gimp quickscoping, sorry. Play straight-up!  Quickscoping is way more annoying to a way larger group of people than the quickscoping community who loves to do it.  When you first sight-in, your sights won't be perfectly center. You'll have to take a moment to adjust (like a real sniper).  No sniper rifles will be useful for quickscoping."

Some will not be happy about this, but I'm not one of them.  Yay!

Loads of quickscope fail:  
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-6N0d3vEZg

Hahaha!

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By slax

Well from the leaked MP videos i've seen on Youtube, it seems as if quickscoping is still a very viable way to play.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jayjonesjunior

good.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By management

Sadface

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    " good. "
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Slax said:
    " Well from the leaked MP videos i've seen on Youtube, it seems as if quickscoping is still a very viable way to play. "
    My guess is that either they changed it after the beta (all leaked multiplayer videos currently online are from the beta), or it's just far less reliable now.  Watch the video I linked to.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes not.
    slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By slax
    @SpaceInsomniac: I'm pretty sure some of the videos were ones linked, though they were taken down. And they very well might have tweaked it after the footage was taken but this guy was running around what seemed to be a relatively small map quickscoping, and even pulled off a nice double kill. But it doens't really bother me either way. 
     I suppose we shall just wait and see,
    MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MrMuscle

Im happy about this. I never use sniper rifles myself, but ive been taken out by them enough times to hate quickscoping.
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By audiosnag

Good. A sniper rifle should be used like a sniper rifle.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Binman88

Now they need to massively increase weapon recoil and increase the spread of the reticules while you're moving - and lengthen the time it takes for them to settle once you slow down to take aim. (EDIT: I mean for all weapons, not just snipers)

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GoofyGoober

Hmmm nice to see Treyarch listening to people. Although COD is a arcade type of shooter to me, the game shouldn't get too realistic.

Avatar image for thirtiethtwelve
    Pathos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pathos

I'm not for quick-scoping (it's annoying) but seriously, in a game with regenerating health and RC car explosives, they're going on about realism? :P

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By valrog
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @jayjonesjunior said:
    " good. "
    "
    applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By applet0n
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    " good. "
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Pathos said:

" I'm not for quick-scoping (it's annoying) but seriously, in a game with regenerating health and RC car explosives, they're going on about realism? :P "

Other than basically saying "you'll have to play like a real sniper," no one said that it was removed because of realism.  We're talking about a game where you can have a gun in each of your hands and still knife someone if they're next to you.  It wasn't removed because it lacked realism, it was removed because the developers didn't want it in their game.

Anyhow, if anyone cares to read the complete twitter post series where this was first revealed, here's the link: 
    http://forums.digitalwarfare247.com/index.php?/topic/32870-askjd-session-2-recap/
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Kyreo

This is a bit of a bummer for me because I could enjoy a match or two of just quickscoping.  It's hard but rewarding so... I kinda feel like they're punishing an already difficult style of gameplay just because it annoys people. 

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrPockets000

excellent

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Hearing more and more cool stuff about Black Ops everyday. Go Treyarch!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Kyreo said:
    " This is a bit of a bummer for me because I could enjoy a match or two of just quickscoping.  It's hard but rewarding so... I kinda feel like they're punishing an already difficult style of gameplay just because it annoys people.  "
    Kind of like how they're making running around with a knife less effective just because of whiners, huh.  The community even considered the care package trick in MW2 a glitch just because it made people faster, even though you're not even holding a gun when you're using it.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jeffsekai

Oh, so COD might require a little bit of skill now? neat

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By management
    @FluxWaveZ said:

" @Kyreo said:

" This is a bit of a bummer for me because I could enjoy a match or two of just quickscoping.  It's hard but rewarding so... I kinda feel like they're punishing an already difficult style of gameplay just because it annoys people.  "
    Kind of like how they're making running around with a knife less effective just because of whiners, huh.  The community even considered the care package trick in MW2 a glitch just because it made people faster, even though you're not even holding a gun when you're using it. "
    I don't think you can compare using commando to teleport 20 feet forward and instant kill somebody with quickscoping. When you're quickscoping you actually have to do something and you only get one shot to do it because of the bolt action.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Management: The only way you can really argue your point is via exaggeration.  When you used Commando, you really needed to be close to your enemy for the lunge to take effect, and even then the enemy needed to be right in front of you.  You still needed to run and reach your target in close proximity, without getting shot down, to get a kill.  While quick scoping, you have many shots you can take, even if the bolt action requires you to get in cover and try again afterwards.  While running to get a knife kill, you're often out in the open and if the person is paying attention to his surroundings, he'll be able to see you coming and kill you.  It's not as easy as people make it out to be, which is why almost nobody does it.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zombie2011
    @Slax said:
    " Well from the leaked MP videos i've seen on Youtube, it seems as if quickscoping is still a very viable way to play. "
    Yeah from what i've seen Quick scoping looks easier.
    management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By management
    @FluxWaveZ: The knife and commando combination was the easiest way to get a nuke or high kill/death ratio. All you had to do was camp around a place with tight corners. If you missed with a quick scope you were basically dead because everyone else used smg/assault rifles or commando themselves and you can't be very far away when you quick scope. 
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#26  Edited By gla55jAw

Real men No-Scope.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Management: Perhaps, but I'm mostly talking about the "running around like a maniac" method.  That's the method that the care package trick complimented and that people looked down upon, just because it annoyed them when someone came up on them and stabbed them when they were camping.  I'll admit, I'm not too knowledgeable on how to quick scope effectively, but I think that both methods (quick scoping and running swiftly with a knife) are being gimped/removed because people generally whine when they get killed that way.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By Yanngc33

quickscoping isn't a "cheap way to play" its a skill
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " Oh, so COD might require a little bit of skill now? neat "
    quick scoping didn't require skill? how often did you do it? and did you get to the top of the leader boards in MW2 doing it? no thought so.
    Quick scoping while annoying still took quite a bit of practice and didn't work in every single scenario.
    management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By management
    @FluxWaveZ: I can agree with you on that, I'm just saying that quick scoping is generally harder than stabbing dudes in the face with commando. 

Doesn't sound like it though =)
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

quick scoping didn't require skill? how often did you do it? and did you get to the top of the leader boards in MW2 doing it? no thought so. Quick scoping while annoying still took quite a bit of practice and didn't work in every single scenario. "
    Quick scoping was exploiting a bug in the game. It's stupid easy to do, I know how to do it but when I played I never used it because I never needed too because I didn't suck dick. 

CoD is an easy ass game, when I played I was better than most.
    mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mano521
    @gla55jAw said:
    " Real men No-Scope. "
    ^this 

im glad they realized they should make snipers play like snipers and not like shotguns
    Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Mystyr_E

that's why I love TF2

gonna be a sniper, better make your shots count or my Soldier's gonna rocket your ass

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Shadow

Not that I know what the hell this is, but anything to piss off snipers.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Shadow said:
    " Not that I know what the hell this is, but anything to piss off snipers. "
    I'm not sure people who associate themselves as "snipers" were really into quick scoping, anyways.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Alexander
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

quick scoping didn't require skill? how often did you do it? and did you get to the top of the leader boards in MW2 doing it? no thought so. Quick scoping while annoying still took quite a bit of practice and didn't work in every single scenario. "
    Quick scoping was exploiting a bug in the game. It's stupid easy to do, I know how to do it but when I played I never used it because I never needed too because I didn't suck dick.   CoD is an easy ass game, when I played I was better than most. "
    I've put in a good many hours, do pretty well and don't know how to quickscope. It takes practice and a degree of skill to be good at it, as is the case with quickscoping in Counter-Strike, only no one is silly enough to call it a bug in that instance (granted it's harder to do, all the same the poor players are the ones complaining in servers). People moan about this and dual shotguns, when really for the most part it's just the players that aren't so good looking for somewhere to place blame for their dismal play, and lack skill. The fact is that the people who consistently come out on top are the ones who are more skilful at the game. As with most games, including Uno.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Alexander said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

Quick scoping was exploiting a bug in the game. It's stupid easy to do, I know how to do it but when I played I never used it because I never needed too because I didn't suck dick.   CoD is an easy ass game, when I played I was better than most. "
    I've put in a good many hours, do pretty well and don't know how to quickscope. It takes practice and a degree of skill to be good at it, as is the case with quickscoping in Counter-Strike, only no one is silly enough to call it a bug in that instance (granted it's harder to do, all the same the poor players are the ones complaining in servers). People moan about this and dual shotguns, when really for the most part it's just the players that aren't so good looking for somewhere to place blame for their dismal play, and lack skill. The fact is that the people who consistently come out on top are the ones who are more skilful at the game. As with most games, including Uno. "
    No, its literally a bug.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Alexander
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Alexander said:
    I've put in a good many hours, do pretty well and don't know how to quickscope. It takes practice and a degree of skill to be good at it, as is the case with quickscoping in Counter-Strike, only no one is silly enough to call it a bug in that instance (granted it's harder to do, all the same the poor players are the ones complaining in servers). People moan about this and dual shotguns, when really for the most part it's just the players that aren't so good looking for somewhere to place blame for their dismal play, and lack skill. The fact is that the people who consistently come out on top are the ones who are more skilful at the game. As with most games, including Uno. "
    No, its literally a bug. "
    Link.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By withateethuh
    @Alexander said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

So no one ever comes out on the top in any instance for gaming the system?
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @Slax said:
    Yeah from what i've seen Quick scoping looks easier. "
    Again, though, all leaked MP videos are from the internal beta.  Either we've seen a montage or two of extremely lucky shots that have been taken from gameplay that would have otherwise featured dozens of unsuccessful attempts, or quickscoping works perfectly fine in the internal beta, but it will not work in the final version.  

Hell, even if the game DOES ship with a somewhat reliable quickscoping ability, there's nothing to say that Treyarch won't nerf it even more later on.  The developers have made it quite clear that they don't want it in their game, so I certainly wouldn't count on it being there.
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By foggel

instagib gone!

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Alexander
    @withateethuh said:

" @Alexander said:

So no one ever comes out on the top in any instance for gaming the system? "
    Yes people come out on top in instances where they cheat and so on. Let me rephrase even though I'd imagine you understood me perfectly the first time: 

change this:  
     The fact is that the people who consistently come out on top are the ones who are more skilful at the game.     

to this:  
    The fact is that the majority of people who consistently come out on top are the ones who are more skilful at the game. 

m'kay?
    s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By s7evn

Meh, not the biggest issue with CoD, in fact I liked the scoping of CoD4. Rather they should focus on grenade launchers and certain perks that break the game.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Alexander said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Alexander said:
    Link. "
    What do you mean Link? Do you even know how quick scoping works? Its a bug you dont need a website to tell you that.  

It's common knowledge 
    Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Alexander said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Alexander said:
    Link. "
    What do you mean Link? Do you even know how quick scoping works? Its a bug you dont need a website to tell you that.   It's common knowledge  "
    I wouldn't call it a bug so much as an overlooked part of the game.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Suicidal_SNiper said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Alexander said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Alexander said:
    Link. "
    What do you mean Link? Do you even know how quick scoping works? Its a bug you dont need a website to tell you that.   It's common knowledge  "
    I wouldn't call it a bug so much as an overlooked part of the game. "
    At the very least its an exploit.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By DoctorWelch

FUCK YES. I am glade they are taking that stupid shit out. It's stupid things like quickscoping that make COD a game that you cant play seriously or in a competitive manor. I will say I am still not going to get this game because I am sick of the whole COD formula, but even so I'd like this change if I were to get it.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lemoncookie01

WOOOOOOOO Black Ops keeps looking better and better.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CL60
    @s7evn said:
    " Meh, not the biggest issue with CoD, in fact I liked the scoping of CoD4. Rather they should focus on grenade launchers and certain perks that break the game. "
    They did focus on other things... Just because they removed quick scoping doesn't automatically mean they aren't focusing on anything else =/
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RsistncE
    @Yanngc33:  @WilliamRLBaker: Yeah, a "skill" that exploits the use of auto-aim assist + SoH. It's bullshit and you know it. That's why I don't play on the console. Auto-aim assist is a handicap modifier for consoles basically and where there's douches there will be exploiters. You wanna play with skill? Play with out auto-aim assist. 

@Alexander said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

" @Alexander said:
    Link. "
    By using SoH there's a small frame between when you're scoping in and fully scoped that your reticule is centred perfectly on the other player due to auto-aim assist. Take the shot and it kills them obviously at that range. It's a bullshit exploit/bug and the only people who don't want to admit it are the ones that need it to get good scores in the game. 

@s7evn: There are actually quite a few other changes they're making to the game outside of this. For example killstreaks no longer stack (as a result the highest killstreak is now 11), and I BELIEVE (don't quote me) that noob tubes as attachments have been completely removed and instead the only grenade launches are secondary weapons a la the thumper from MW2. They've also gimped "dolphin diving" or "drop shotting" so that there is a movement penalty if you try it. There's tonnes of other changes too but those are some minor ones.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.