Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Veteran Isn't Hard.. It's Cheap.

• 81 results
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Ramone

I have completed CoD 4, WaW and MW2 on Veteran and I have one thing to say. WAR NEVER CHANGES.

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Vao
    @Eversoranimus:  I would have to agree, the number of enemies there are isn't really different but there seems to be less checkpoints or checkpoints in bad places that makes it frustrating to no end. 
    GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By GioVANNI
    @BunkerBuster:  Halo legendary is pretty easy if you just use the plasma pistol/DMR matchup.
    Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's why I never even bother with veteran, or anything above normal, really.

Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Verit

No one's really allowed to complain about CoD campaign difficulty unless they beat all of CoD4 on Veteran, including Mile High Club. 

"No Fighting In The War Room" was pretty crazy too when you had to go down narrow hallways with enemies that have superhuman accuracy, reflexes and/or carry a shotgun. You move half an inch in the wrong direction and you're completely boned.  

"Mile High Club"'s only flaw is that if you played it enough times you could figure out a sequence to beat it like: 
    1) Sprint right off the bat and knife guy in bathroom 
    2) Continue sprinting through conference room 
    3) Throw flash and look away quickly so you don't flash yourself  
    ...etc

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By CL60
    @Verit said:
    " No one's really allowed to complain about CoD campaign difficulty unless they beat all of CoD4 on Veteran, including Mile High Club.  "No Fighting In The War Room" was pretty crazy too when you had to go down narrow hallways with enemies that have superhuman accuracy, reflexes and/or carry a shotgun. You move half an inch in the wrong direction and you're completely boned.   "Mile High Club"'s only flaw is that if you played it enough times you could figure out a sequence to beat it like: 1) Sprint right off the bat and knife guy in bathroom 2) Continue sprinting through conference room 3) Throw flash and look away quickly so you don't flash yourself  ...etc "
    I have beaten all of CoD4 on Veteran, including mile high club. And that game had terrible veteran also, but not nearly as bad as the veteran in Black Ops.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By Cirdain
    @LiquidPrince:  COD blops is harder cos of the infintie spawning then dying when you reload.
    Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Verit
    @CL60 said:
    " @Verit said:
    " No one's really allowed to complain about CoD campaign difficulty unless they beat all of CoD4 on Veteran, including Mile High Club.  "No Fighting In The War Room" was pretty crazy too when you had to go down narrow hallways with enemies that have superhuman accuracy, reflexes and/or carry a shotgun. You move half an inch in the wrong direction and you're completely boned.   "Mile High Club"'s only flaw is that if you played it enough times you could figure out a sequence to beat it like: 1) Sprint right off the bat and knife guy in bathroom 2) Continue sprinting through conference room 3) Throw flash and look away quickly so you don't flash yourself  ...etc "
    I have beaten all of CoD4 on Veteran, including mile high club. And that game had terrible veteran also, but not nearly as bad as the veteran in Black Ops. "
    I enjoyed CoD4's veteran but after a while when you got to areas where you were cockblocked into instant death every 2 seconds, it got less entertaining. At least it wasn't like MW2's veteran. Any level that included a riot shield in MW2 meant I can just walk through the level with no worries. 

Halo's highest difficulty typically adds tougher enemies with a smarter AIs, which is nice but the only challenge that increasing the difficulty on halo games has caused me is that I run out of bullets. The final mission on Reach was a bit annoying, fighting wave after wave. It was really dumb when I had to get up to the MAC cannon. I had to fight my way through ~7 or so high ranking elites with only 9 magnum shots and a plasma pistol.  

Honestly, there hasn't been a game in a while for me that actually had a legitimate reason to have a veteran-like mode. Most games now just either add multiple elements of the typical formula to make a game harder: 
    1) More enemies 
    2) Enemies take more bullets 
    3) Enemies kill you faster 

It's basically the reason why I played Fallout 3, Oblivion, and New Vegas on either easy or normal. I can play it on harder difficulties but I don't want to waste my time putting a sniper round in a guy's head 12 times and have him kill me with a 9mm to the foot. But on the other side of the spectrum I don't want to 1 shot everything and be immortal, what's the point in playing after that. Games need a better balance of difficulty. 
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By BunkerBuster
    @GioVANNI said:
    " Halo legendary is pretty easy if you just use the plasma pistol/DMR matchup. "
    Halo: Reach on Legendary, while ridiculously cheap, is still manageable. It's that son-of-a-bitch gold/silver elite with a concussion rifle that's the problem. First you have to kill everyone around him, then get close enough for the plasma shot to follow while not dying. Even then it wont take off all his shield and he chases you.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By CL60
    @Verit said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Verit said:
    I have beaten all of CoD4 on Veteran, including mile high club. And that game had terrible veteran also, but not nearly as bad as the veteran in Black Ops. "
    I enjoyed CoD4's veteran but after a while when you got to areas where you were cockblocked into instant death every 2 seconds, it got less entertaining. At least it wasn't like MW2's veteran. Any level that included a riot shield in MW2 meant I can just walk through the level with no worries.  Halo's highest difficulty typically adds tougher enemies with a smarter AIs, which is nice but the only challenge that increasing the difficulty on halo games has caused me is that I run out of bullets. The final mission on Reach was a bit annoying, fighting wave after wave. It was really dumb when I had to get up to the MAC cannon. I had to fight my way through ~7 or so high ranking elites with only 9 magnum shots and a plasma pistol.   Honestly, there hasn't been a game in a while for me that actually had a legitimate reason to have a veteran-like mode. Most games now just either add multiple elements of the typical formula to make a game harder: 1) More enemies 2) Enemies take more bullets 3) Enemies kill you faster   It's basically the reason why I played Fallout 3, Oblivion, and New Vegas on either easy or normal. I can play it on harder difficulties but I don't want to waste my time putting a sniper round in a guy's head 12 times and have him kill me with a 9mm to the foot. But on the other side of the spectrum I don't want to 1 shot everything and be immortal, what's the point in playing after that. Games need a better balance of difficulty.  "
    I never have problems with Halo on legendary since I always play it with a friend. But in the case of CoD, I just don't want the enemies to have wallhacks, no recoil, and aimbots. I just want them to be more intelligent than they are on the other difficulties.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By zombie2011

Yeah, it really seems like a step back after MW2 did away with the infinite re-spawning. 

I was getting pissed while playing it on Hardened so i don't wanna try Veteran.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I feel your pain, my friend. 

The main reasons for me dying during the entire campaign was: 

1) Some enemy meleeing me to death from behind because my friendly NPC's for some reason couldn't just goddamn shoot the guy.
    2) Friendlies throwing grenades when I was up close and personal with my trusted shotgun. I died no less than 15 times to friendly grenade spam.
    3) Getting shot through walls by the enemy. I obviously wasn't meant to take cover in some spots, but damn, just make them inaccessible in that case.
    4) More than 2 enemies with RPG's and perfect aim spawning at the same time. 

Many a time it felt like the game put you in an irreversible "eat shit and die" situation, like autosaving right before the bullshit RPG spawn would happen. Took me a good 10 minutes to get out of that.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By metalmoog

Not going to tackle this based on all of these complaints. I was pinned inside a building in Favela for like 2 hours on MW2 getting picked off by dudes on the rooftops everytime I stuck my head out. Finally made it through and stopped at the end of that level. No way I'm going to start Black Ops if it's even more ridiculous.

Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Verit
    @MetalMoog said:
    " Not going to tackle this based on all of these complaints. I was pinned inside a building in Favela for like 2 hours on MW2 getting picked off by dudes on the rooftops everytime I stuck my head out. Finally made it through and stopped at the end of that level. No way I'm going to start Black Ops if it's even more ridiculous. "
    I remember that, it was retarded. Just had to die enough times to know where each of the shooters were so I could bounce out, kill one, and bounce back in. Really stupid repetitive stuff like that.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By captain_clayman
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
    "Did Black Ops bring back infinitely spawning enemies until you get to a certain spot in the level? "

bring back? 

it never left!
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#66  Edited By GunstarRed
    @MetalMoog:
    Favela was annoying like that for me also, It was where I nearly gave up. 

After finishing Black Ops earlier in Veteran I've decided that for the most part it's much, much easier than MW2, very few hold and defend sections and for most of the missions there are a ton of  other dudes drawing fire towards them. Theres only really three points that cause any  trouble. The end of Executive Order (hardest part in the game by a mile) The Napalm Hill in SOG and the section directly after where Nova 6 bursts into the streets.  It feels like there were two different teams working on the levels. The ones without respawning enemies seem overly simple as you can just hang back and let everyone else do all the work and the ones that do make you want to throw kittens into a fire.
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By Djeffers03

I agree. In MW2 it was alright because they got rid of the infinitely respawning enemies but it appears they are back in some part in Black Ops.

overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By overbyte
    @Asrahn said:
    " I feel your pain, my friend.  The main reasons for me dying during the entire campaign was:  1) Some enemy meleeing me to death from behind because my friendly NPC's for some reason couldn't just goddamn shoot the guy.2) Friendlies throwing grenades when I was up close and personal with my trusted shotgun. I died no less than 15 times to friendly grenade spam.3) Getting shot through walls by the enemy. I obviously wasn't meant to take cover in some spots, but damn, just make them inaccessible in that case.4) More than 2 enemies with RPG's and perfect aim spawning at the same time.  Many a time it felt like the game put you in an irreversible "eat shit and die" situation, like autosaving right before the bullshit RPG spawn would happen. Took me a good 10 minutes to get out of that. "
    The first one hit home. I was moving through some tight corridor then 3 seconds later I'll die because some guy respawned in a corner behind me. The friendly AI is useless since they're out for themselves and I've seen them ignore an enemy beside them too many times. I ended up using the shotgun and charging through the level.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By withateethuh
    @TheLegendaryBadassGamer said:
    " @BunkerBuster said:
    " How about: A nigh un-killable Zealot with a fully automatic rocket launcher that never needs reloading and 100 percent accuracy. 
    Call of Duty is pussy mode compared to that nonsense. 

That's him officer, that's the man that made me cry! 
    That's him officer, that's the man that made me cry! 
    "
    COD > Halo  And this is coming from a person who despises both franchises. "
    This isn't about which game is better, its about which difficulty is cheaper.

And personally I never like playing the highest difficulty of any game because I just don't like the idea of constant trial-and-error. I like having a decent flow of combat and pretty things to look at. And a story if I'm lucky (thank you Black Ops for that)
    Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Verit

I've got to say, spec ops missions in MW2 were far superior than a lot of CoD missions. Found the same experience with Arkham Asylum too. AA was a great game but it wasn't challenging at all, but CHALLENGE mode was great for filling that void. Same thing with spec ops, it wasn't necessary but was great to do. Some of the ops were boring whereas some like Big Brother felt extremely entertaining.

theredcoat24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 22

#71  Edited By theredcoat24

I have'nt played Black Ops on Vet but I beat it on 4 and MW2, but when I tried it with World at War I got to the Reich-stag assault before I quit do it infite enemy's and grenade spam

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got through the whole MW2 on veteran with not much problem except the safehouse
    so when I jump into black ops I go with veteran thinking it should be okay
    and I was wrong

remember the part you get outside Castro's house and rappel down?
    somehow I got kill like fifteen times WHILE rappeling down
    with totally no idea why the F I died
    I have to resort to blast the airfield blindly with RPGs before I rappel down
    and hope I don't get shot while doing that

then the barrel part on SOG
    at first I go with the barrel on the right side
    somehow I still get shot while cutting open the barrel (you suppose to be invincible in that animation sequence right?)
    and insta-killed once the barrel got kick downslope
    but then I get through it with no problem when I go with the barrel on the left side first

it feels like the game force you to do things in one particular way
    and going anywhere else will result in disaster...

CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#73  Edited By CraigAA1028
    @CL60 said:

" Just think Veteran in CoD games really needs some reworking. This one is worse than all of the others though. "

Did you play World at War? It was fine on normal, but Veteran was unfairly cheap that I quit trying after the first level. Every enemey is a pinpoint shot, but on top of that, they all throw grenades constantly. Ever have two or three grenade icons pop up, try to run away, and run into two more icons? It was broken.
    puercoperro335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#74  Edited By puercoperro335

It doesn't make it easier that it's a little harder to tell how much damage you've taken. I think I'd rather have the grape jelly from MW2 splattered on my screen than not knowing that I'm not fully healed yet.
    Also I wish more games would take a cue from Goldeneye, and just add more objectives on the higher difficulties. Those were definitely fun...

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By metalmoog

Well I caved and decided to tackle those veteran achievements. Big mistake. I'm currently stuck on Executive Order at the last part going through those god awful tunnels. After the room with the servers is cleared out, the next tunnel's infinite respawn and crawling up behind boxes has got me beat. I've wasted about 2 hours of my time on this part alone, and thought to myself what for? For a cheesy achievement that pops up on my screen and does nothing but give me a sense of accomplishment? Bah, 2 hours of my time isn't worth this sense of accomplishment. 

It really sucks that Treyarch had to ruin the single player experience by putting in these retarded monster closets, where you just have to push forward to hit a checkpoint. Way to suck the realism and fun out of the single player guys. What a fail.

My complete single player review

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#76  Edited By Aounslaught

I completely agree with you. It's not hard at all. It took me three days to beat the thing, and if you're smart about it, no one should have any trouble with it. My biggest problem with it was the fact that the entire time, all the AI was doing was blind firing their AK's around corners while having pin point accuracy. Along with that, the enemies have friggin' ninja moves where they're rolling to over and what not. I call shenanigans, sir!!

mandeponium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By mandeponium

It's not fun at all but not because it's too hard. The only the way to play is to creep from cover to cover and popping out to kill one guy, then get back in cover, heal, and repeat. It's actually really easy and really boring.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By evilrazer

I play veteran only for the achievements. By the way just did it couple of days ago in Black Ops. It was not fun at all.

IDjeepI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By IDjeepI

atleast its not as hard as Call of duty world at war on veteran  that was just unfair grenade spam everywhere in big ass open spaces.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#80  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

LOL of course thats what treyarch is capable of...they aren't capable of making good games with good AI... 
    Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#81  Edited By Spiritof
    @marioncobretti said:
    " @MetalMoog: Favela was annoying like that for me also, It was where I nearly gave up.  After finishing Black Ops earlier in Veteran I've decided that for the most part it's much, much easier than MW2, very few hold and defend sections and for most of the missions there are a ton of  other dudes drawing fire towards them. Theres only really three points that cause any  trouble. The end of Executive Order (hardest part in the game by a mile) The Napalm Hill in SOG and the section directly after where Nova 6 bursts into the streets.  It feels like there were two different teams working on the levels. The ones without respawning enemies seem overly simple as you can just hang back and let everyone else do all the work and the ones that do make you want to throw kittens into a fire. "
    Fuck me, I'm glad to know that. I was beginning to think that Black Ops was broken and it was impossible to get past that last hallway, then I realized that the game just has an epically cruel checkpoint system. If that's the hardest part, I feel a lot better about pushing on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.