Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

Modern Warfare 3 "No Russian" Like Scene

• 87 results
    oldschool2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By oldschool2112

@GeekDown said:

Sure it might be taking it a bit too far, but shit like this does happen in real life. So, I don't mind it.

Was kind of thinking the same thing. And this being an MW game, you know something bad was going to happen with that scene.

Also, the airport scene from MW2 was shocking, but also absolutely made the story. The middle east has declared jihad for much lesser offenses, but I can see enough outrage over a tragedy like that being pinned on the US to make an invasion by any nationality almost plaisuble.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By eroticfishcake

That was actually really tame. I thought No Russian was more interesting since it gave you choice. Nothing really happens here. I mean, it'll be a bit disturbing if the child's head flew towards the camera or something but as I said, there's nothing at all.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By bybeach

Whether you take this seriously, or do a virtual lip-fart at it in the digital world, this needs to be in context..what was MW3 trying to do here? What would real life be where you by accident and circumstance were just far enough from the detonation to survive, and saw the bits of flesh, gore and such blown around..maybe some on you. One reads these accounts all the time, that of the survivors to some lucky news journalist who gets there 15 minutes later to see the ppl. fumbling about loading bodies into cars and such, and the Crater.

So we read this all the time or see the aftermath vid on the Internet, we already have distance on it. Well then here is a simulation folks. And for me, I personally do tie to the ppl. in games. They look like ppl., even act like ppl. if the dev is good. Even if they jerk around like they are plagued with St Vitus disease like in Deus Ex-Human Rev. I know they are not real, but there is an unconscious emotional investment that still goes on. I hear the words' Don't Mean Nothing' but things like this may affect on a more subtle level then your immediate experience of real...

So context will be interesting. Not because of this, but the other footage going around has me thinking it will be a decent maybe better-looking version of MW-Insert Numeral.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By ervonymous

That was so goddamn corny.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#56  Edited By jkuc316

I didn't even see any body getting blown up, I just saw an explosion.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#57  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Well seeing as developing a CoD game consists of checking boxes at this point, it's no real surprise that this is in there.

Pretty messed up, but you see it coming a mile off.

I'm hoping that MW4 has a level where you walk into a kindergarten and stab all the children in the face.

TheMartino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By TheMartino

I would be more incensed if they killed a dog.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By PhilESkyline

@TheMartino said:

That's the Mike Vick DLC Perk. Oh sorry *Spoilers*

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Vodun

@PhilESkyline said:

Again, My concern is that scenes like this help us not bat an eye at the real thing. While many will claim "it's only a game" or "they do that in movies too" doesn't make it at acceptable. Others will joke and say "I don't play the single player so I don't care."

What's next? Virtual people getting raped in games or children getting molested? Is that also acceptable?

Yes, your concern is well founded. Since I watched that clip I have now blown up several small children. Can I count on you, as a trained psychologist, to present a witness statement that it was not my fault? It was Infinity Ward.

cheapandtacky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By cheapandtacky

@PhilESkyline said:

Again, My concern is that scenes like this help us not bat an eye at the real thing. While many will claim "it's only a game" or "they do that in movies too" doesn't make it at acceptable. Others will joke and say "I don't play the single player so I don't care."

What's next? Virtual people getting raped in games or children getting molested? Is that also acceptable?

Is it interactive? No

Is it Graphic? Nope A girls is there, then there is an explosion and she dissapears.

Is it gratituous? No

It's a classic and in some ways lazy way to make people react to a situation, where was the controversy around the dead Island trailer? Nowhere because it was well done and obvious fantasy. There is nothing controversial about this, they are trying to give you an emotional reaction to a situation. A chemical weapon goes of in London, big whoop. a chemical weapon goes of in London and you see from first person the effect it has on an innocent child. If it makes you think "That's horrible". Then it's done it's job, you are supposed to think there is bad stuff going down.

Move along, no controversy here.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By Slaker117
    @TheMartino said:

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By Milkman

Anyone who is "offended" by this is a goddamn idiot. This kind of shit is in countless movies but put it in a video game? AND EVERYONE FREAK OUT!

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#64  Edited By huntad

I'm tired of these kind of scenes. No Russian was stupid, and this is even worse.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Nux

That wasn't that bad. Stuff like this doesn't bother me when its in a video game because no one real is being killed, If I saw this on the news in real life, thats a dfifferent story.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Rudyftw

Fuck anyone who says this is wrong. It's not like you're forced to kill her or something. This is NO DIFFERENT from a child dying in a movie.

And people who say "They are trying too hard" are COD haters who have nothing better to do than undermine everything the series does. It also makes no sense... Please give more input on why they are trying too hard, please? They are obviously just trying to get through to the player that civilians are getting blown up in major cities and that you should feel threatened because you're no longer fighting in some 3rd World Country, but in your own backyard. How the fuck is that trying too hard? They aren't looking to add shock value... they would have made more money if "No Russian" wasn't in MW2. This is about making the game more realistic for players, nothing else.

brewcity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By brewcity

Not as bad as No Russian but...BOOM KID KILLING!

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Pezen

Was not that bad. Looks really cartoony. Also, real life is still worse. Also, why are people bringing up slippery slope arguments? That's dumb.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Wraxend

I think its just them trying to hard to stir up a bit of controversy. To be fair kid deserved it scaring away those poor pigeons.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#70  Edited By Ramone

Trying too hard. You can't just throw in a dead kid to your game and hope everyone goes 'Oh it's so deep and emotional', the game has to earn that praise by having a consistent tone throughout the whole game.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By thehexeditor

@Wraxend said:

I think its just them trying to hard to stir up a bit of controversy. To be fair kid deserved it scaring away those poor pigeons.

I laughed. Actually, those pigeons are on Makarov's payroll..

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Slaker117
    @Rudyftw said:

Fuck anyone who says this is wrong. It's not like you're forced to kill her or something. This is NO DIFFERENT from a child dying in a movie.

And people who say "They are trying too hard" are COD haters who have nothing better to do than undermine everything the series does. It also makes no sense... Please give more input on why they are trying too hard, please? They are obviously just trying to get through to the player that civilians are getting blown up in major cities and that you should feel threatened because you're no longer fighting in some 3rd World Country, but in your own backyard. How the fuck is that trying too hard? They aren't looking to add shock value... they would have made more money if "No Russian" wasn't in MW2. This is about making the game more realistic for players, nothing else.

I have played and enjoyed every CoD since 2. They aren't the greatest games ever, but I still have fun with them. I think this scene is trying too hard because it is going straight for shock value. There are plenty of ways to express the the bad guys mean business that don't involve breaking away from the character's perspective to show you camera footage of a little girl and her family getting blow up. That seems pretty damn exploitative to me. One on CoD's biggest narrative characteristics is keeping everything in the context of the immediate situation. Everything you see is in through the eyes of a solider. To deviate from that highlights it as different, and them to use that show a child being murdered makes it feel like it was purposely drummed up to be controversial.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#73  Edited By imsh_pl
    @PhilESkyline said:

A few honest questions that come to mind after reading the responses.

Why haven't game companies added virtual people getting raped in games or children getting molested in games shipped to the US or UK? Is that also acceptable?

Because such a game would receive an AO rating, which is pretty much a death sentence to video games. Many major retailers disagree to sell such games.

How long can the term "it's only a game" be acceptable when depicting real life actions and scenes?

Always. Video games, and every other form of art for that matter, are a way of expressing oneself. A developer should be allowed to make whatever game he wants, and said game should include whatever content the creator considers necessary to be a part of his vision.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By AlexW00d

I don't care that some pixels that barely resemble a human child were blown up, I do mind that they are trying to use shitty controversial scenes like this to sell their game.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Red12b

probably going to be the whole game to be maxtreme

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By CaptainObvious

I killed ALL the russians.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#77  Edited By Soap

This adds literally nothing to the plot or to the game in anyway it's just there to shock and fails to do so.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By PhilESkyline

@imsh_pl said:

@PhilESkyline said:

Why haven't game companies added virtual people getting raped in games or children getting molested in games shipped to the US or UK? Is that also acceptable?

Because such a game would receive an AO rating, which is pretty much a death sentence to video games. Many major retailers disagree to sell such games.

How long can the term "it's only a game" be acceptable when depicting real life actions and scenes?

Always. Video games, and every other form of art for that matter, are a way of expressing oneself. A developer should be allowed to make whatever game he wants, and said game should include whatever content the creator considers necessary to be a part of his vision.

Just so I'm understanding you correctly.

Are you saying there is no limit to what a developer should be able to create/depict in a video game as long as it's apart of the vision? Any and all actions, including violence and sexual acts of any kind, are allowed and should be accepted?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Slaker117
    @PhilESkyline said:

@imsh_pl said:

@PhilESkyline said:

Are you saying there is no limit to what a developer should be able to create/depict in a video game as long as it's apart of the vision? Any and all actions, including violence and sexual acts of any kind, are allowed and should be accepted?

As long as it's appropriately rated, yes, it has a right to exist. What is accepted is to be determined by each person individually.
    Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Wraxend

@thehexeditor said:

@Wraxend said:

I laughed. Actually, those pigeons are on Makarov's payroll..

I laughed because of the shit acting. I mean child actors are bad enough now digital child actors thats a whole new level. With exceptions like Uncharted3.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good thing it was a good looking kid with pretty and respectably dressed American parents on a sunny day in a cute street with birds flying around and a family movie being taken. 

UGHHH 

Any more cliches I missed?

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#82  Edited By imsh_pl
    @PhilESkyline said:

@imsh_pl said:

@PhilESkyline said:

There are multiple ratings and descriptions which serve the purpose of informing the public about a game's content.

And my answer to the question if any actions in games should be allowed is yes. I do not understand what you mean by "accepted".

Judging by your reaction and previous claims I conclude that your answer to this question is "No". If so, I am curious to hear what specific restrictions should be legally used while deciding to make a game available for purchase (keep in my that's all we're talking about here, we're not talking if said game is morally wrong or not) and what are the grounds on which these restrictions are made, other than your personal/moral preference (you want to make said restrictions applied to all people, after all).
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I am not watching this or reading anything here, but I'd just like to say that I'm glad they've made yet another scene like this. At least this time, I won't get spoiled concerning it before I experience it.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By MrMazz

Am I the only one who thought that the No Russian level was over hyped? I honestly didn't feel like it was that effective at making me feel bad. This is coming from someone who plays good just abou 100% in fallout.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#85  Edited By TheHT

Bummer, that would've been effective if I didn't know about it. Time to ignore everything MW3 story related until I get mine.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By renmckormack

I kind of agree that I can't feel sympathy for virtual people. It is shocking on a base level, since there are pretty obvious and easier parallels to car bombings in reality (see Meat Space) whereas the "No Russian" thing felt so over the top it seemed more Bruckheimerish (TM) and kind of less impactful.

But seriously.

LOOK AT THIS COP. ISN'T THIS EXCESSIVE FORCE

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By fentonalpha

People be forgetting the Dead Island trailer... i thought that was worse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.