Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

Isn't Call of Duty Today Just Like Guitar Hero Was a Few Years Back?

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#101  Edited By Cirdain

GiantBomb <3

Law313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By Law313
    @Undead_Fiend said:
    " Although you musnt equate game sales with how good the games actually are, more the relience on how gullible people will continue to lap up practically the exact same game every year with good marketing "
    I couldnt have said it better myself. Thats the mistake even industry vets seem to make ALL THE TIME! Im not saying COD games aren't fun, but with a franchise thats rakes in a large percentage of the money spent on games that year I expect more innovation. If you are innovating(no your not, the games are exact replicas) then innovate more. Spend the money, get the talent, and maybe SPEND THE TIME to make each successor that much more appealing. 
    Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Lab392

Patrick Klepek ALREADY breaking dem big insider stories. I'm so proud.

Warihay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By Warihay

Fantastic job Patrick. So excited to see more articles like this coming from Giant Bomb now.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By ChickenPants

Yep, this is some fantastic content.

Appreciate the work Mr. Klepek. Someone should really get you a hat for this sort of thing.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#106  Edited By Aaron_G

Now this is News.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#107  Edited By penguindust

Great read, Klepek. 

I think that Activision asked the wrong question.  It shouldn't have been "Isn't COD today like GH was a few years ago", they should have asked, "Isn't COD today like Tony Hawk was a few years ago."  The memo correctly points out that the music genre was a flash in the pan.  I wouldn't say it exploded since it existed before GH, but that game made amateurs feel like rock stars even if it was only pretend.  Playing with plastic toy guitars will only get you so far. 

The extreme sports genre on the other hand was much more widespread and lasting than the recent music game genre, and yet the Tony Hawk games have become a punchline within the gaming community.  Why is that?  Oversaturation is certainly a factor.  With every X-Games participant getting their own jumping-spinning-trick filled game, they all became indistinguishable.  And, after a while, the basis of the games all felt alike.  There was a sameness that crept in starting with the bad games and eventually undermining the flagship title, Tony Hawk.   But the genre itself didn't die.  It's just that all the "innovation" Activision tried made things worse year after year.  Finally, they lost the crown to EA's Skate. 

Call of Duty is in that same position albeit in a more stable genre than extreme sports.  The modern military shooter market is incredibly crowded these days and it's very hard to distinguish one game from the next.  Today, COD has brand recognition, but that might not be enough as was the case with Tony Hawk.  Gamers will seek out newer and more innovative games occasionally especially when something that's been around for so long starts to feel "uncool".  Battlefield 3 might be that game, or Bungie's latest project or perhaps whatever Respawn Entertainment is working on.  If I could predict the future, I'd have Michael Patcher's job, but I do believe that change will come whether Activision likes it or not and public perception has a lot to do with how quickly it arrives. 
    TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By TorMasturba

My personal interest in fps's has been greatly diminishing over the last few months and I sent back Black-ops only a week after I got it.

While the arc of success is still rising with the COD series, I can see a future where they've reached the edges of innovation within the confines that COD allows and they will HAVE to do different things, either that or go the way of the Dodo.

On another note, I haven't read anything this engaging on Giantbomb for a long while.

I usually read the first 2 paragraphs of an article and the last one as it saves me alot of time and usually tells me all I want to know from the article. For one reason alone, so much goes on on the internet these days that, put bluntly, who has the time to read generic, all-over-the-internet, stuff all day?

Anyway, Glad you're here Klepek, that was a very interesting read, with the above paragraph in mind, I read your entire article.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#109  Edited By EuanDewar

Im so fucking glad you're handling the news Klepek. Great article.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By mnzy

"Call of Duty is one of the biggest entertainment franchises in the world,"

I never would've dreamed to ever read that a few years ago. And it's not even a lie.

EdsXwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By EdsXwing

Great read, interesting how they look at how they seem to be driving IW's concept to the bank, but how long will that last?

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112  Edited By darkjester74

Great write up Patrick!  I hope this is a sign of things to come from the news side of GB!

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#113  Edited By m0rdr3d

While I'll always fondly remember and wish for the good ol' days of Giant Bomb, this one-two punch of Nicholson and Klepek bodes well. 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#114  Edited By Skald

So I guess Battlefield is Rock Band?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Azteck

I already like Klepek

Scribbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Scribbly

Interesting article, very insightful! Personally I'm not convinced that Call of Duty will continue to grow and grow and maintain popularity a few years from now. There will come a point where no one cares about it and something else takes its place, just as with Guitar Hero, just as with the fighting game explosion of the 90s. My two cents.

icytower38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By icytower38

This makes me want to go back and play the original Spyro again

Nospeekada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Nospeekada

Those who don't remember the past... yada yada yada

Kaowas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Kaowas

Great article, dude! You're already proving (to me at least) why you're one of the best gaming journalists out there with this story. Top notch stuff!

I'm interested to see where CoD is going to be in the next five or so years. Right nows it's huge, and I know that they haven't fully tapped the FPS market dry (yet), but I'm wondering if in 5 years there will be a gross oversaturation of FPSs and the CoD franchise in general. I mean, we already have a lot of FPSs coming out (less so now than there were a year or two ago) but at this point in time CoD already seems a little too milked. I never played Black Ops, but I hear it was awesome (more of the same great gameplay PLUS JFK versus Zambies, I mean, c'mon!), but the fact is I'm not sure how high up the CoD franchise will go before it begins falling.

It'll be interesting to see how the next few years play out.
    ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By ryno9881

Great article man.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By LiquidSwords

"Dammit, Patrick. Why you gotta get all smart on us?"

Awesome article!

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
    EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By EndlessObsidian

Giant Bomb is complete. Great Stuff.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick hitting all the sectors! News, Bombcasts, and Quick Looks! Congrats on a successful debut.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#124  Edited By LackLuster
    @EndlessObsidian said:
    " Giant Bomb is complete. Great Stuff. "
    This
    Dakota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#125  Edited By Dakota

I hardly ever post comments on articles but I just wanted to add to the list of people who are giving props to Patrick. Great story and I think he's going to make an awesome addition to the team

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By RsistncE

I'm kinda confused as to why people are jumping up on this Klepek guys dick...I see nothing special about this article. It's most just quoted material with some base analysis...but OK.

nERVEcenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By nERVEcenter

Klepek is awesome. You guys definitely beat Kotaku to the punch, they're linking here with a summary of the story.

Fucking brilliant. 

Also, beating a horse to death can only result in so much cash flying out. It ends at some point; they need another brand to take its place.
    Gashlycrumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Gashlycrumb

Great article indeed.  At least Activision is honestly interested in keeping COD viable and considering whether it is becoming stale.  After MW, MW2 and playing plenty of Blops i'm feeling kind of burned out on the series.  But hey if they can find a way to innovate and grow the brand, i'll keep playing.  I know there's a lot of grumbling about an online subscription for multiplayer but like i said, if they manage to do something engaging and quality with it, instead of making me pay regularly for something i'm already tiring of, i'll stick around for it.  Unless BF3 is as awesome as i'm hoping...

WaffleConed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By WaffleConed

Its re-assuring to know that even at the very top their atleast aware of how rare this popular of a game is and they seem to appreciate that enough to keep it on top for atleast a little while longer.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By CaLe

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-20-how-cod-will-avoid-guitar-heros-fate

Check it out.

SupberUber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By SupberUber

Stuff I learned from this article:

- Activision wants Call of Duty to stay on top as the #1 FPS
    - They have to remain ahead of the pack if they want to keep that position
    - Doing that requires the best talent in the business
    + something something Guitar Hero vs COD theory

Interesting to read an inside memo,sure, but this was hardly a great read.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Winternet

Congrats on your first story here on GiantBomb, Patrick. A very nice reading.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#134  Edited By Belonpopo

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/callin-it-call-of-duty-dies-by-2012/383133/

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Deusx

Hey... this was a great article. Glad to see patrick already working hard.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#136  Edited By tourgen

Well people seem to still love the CoD games and mappack expansions.  He must be at least partially right.  I think people really do enjoy the twitch-arcade style FPS game and will continue to buy it in some form or other.   Probably short sighted to extrapolate that upward sales trend out to infinity.

I wonder how long the modern military setting will hold our attention.  It seems a little stale already.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By therealnelsk

Started to read this and thought, man I wish GiantBomb would do more content like this. It then dawned on me that this is indeed the start of GiantBomb doing more content like this.

Welcome to the team Patrick, great article and I look forward to more of your work.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By imsh_pl

"Activision doesn’t always seem to get the credit it deserves in terms of innovation in my opinion, but there is no short supply of it,"

Laughing so fucking hard right now.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#139  Edited By natetodamax
    @RsistncE
    I'm kinda confused as to why people are jumping up on this Klepek guys dick...I see nothing special about this article. It's most just quoted material with some base analysis...but OK.
    Because it's not a Brad Nicholson Kotaku-like article
    SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By SpicyRichter

I think they peaked with Black Ops, they will start to decline now. The next one will be successful, but will sell less than black ops. Following that we'll see a line of consistent high quality shooters, but will sell less and less as people grow tired of the formula.

They will then realize that the right path to follow is to create a shooter in the Mass Effect universe, with all the call of duty snappy gameplay, but with a rich, sci-fi story and background.

Also, you'll mine for minerals with your assault rifle.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By patrickklepek
    @natetodamax said:
    " @RsistncE
    Because it's not a Brad Nicholson Kotaku-like article "
    Let's chill on Nicholson, cool?
    PerfectUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By PerfectUgly

That memo betrays a terrible lack of faith in the creators of the Call of Duty franchise (to say nothing of the fact that, fundamentally, the models of game are completely separate between COD and GH). Or maybe its a reveille. As I see it, the Call of Duty franchise is structured largely around the same fundamental model, game after game:

• new maps;
    • a new game mode or two;

But nothing earth-shattering. Activision sinks millions into production of the Call of Duty franchise so, like any corporate entity, 'do it to death' becomes the mantra. Be safe. Safe formulas. No real creativity. I see this as a particularly dangerous model in a creative venture, to the franchise and disingenuous to the creators who likely want to do something new, but are constrained to 'do it to death.'

I see the work Naughty Dog is producing for the Uncharted series (these are admittedly two fundamentally different types of games) and I see innovation. I see real thinking out-of-the-box. And attention to detail I have never seen in a Call of Duty title. For example, in Uncharted 2 multi-player:

•  if Drake walks over a pothole in the map, he stumbles, preventing him from lifting his gun for around 1 second. 
    • Characters can grab or kick one another while climbing ladders and poles. 
    • Maps are built with vertical combat in mind.

I see none of this thinking in the Call of Duty franchise (though there is some vertical gameplay, it's not really anything more than 2 or 3 levels of playing - its not really built for combat in that fashion). I'd respectfully urge the Call of Duty franchise to consider the following:

• perks are NOT what makes it a good game - put the focus elsewhere;
    • innovate in game modes - the best games immerse players interactively.
    • add something. Something excellent. See DICE's Frostbite engine for an example. The level of destructive environments is truly amazing and game-changing.

Activision prides itself on holding the first-person shooter champion title. Sales prove Activision owns it. So it's Activision's to lose. All titles end. Innovate or become obsolete.
    SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By SpicyRichter
    @patrickklepek said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @RsistncE
    Let's chill on Nicholson, cool? "
    You just want to steer the conversation back to guys jumping on your dick heheheh
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Woah, a news article that's actually pretty good?

:D
    RenaissanceXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By RenaissanceXD
    @kamiboy said:
    " First Person Shooters, the cockroaches of the gaming industry. "
    This
    TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

#146  Edited By TadThuggish
    @patrickklepek said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @RsistncE
    Let's chill on Nicholson, cool? "
    I love that "Kotaku-like" is a big enough insult to have staff step in and tell people to chill.

Man, that site is atrocious.
    l3reak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By l3reak

Awesome! This is just the stuff I was hoping to see from Patrick. And I actually read it, too, which I honestly didn't mean to. I guess it much have been a well written piece. ;)

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By NegativeCero

I think I'll reserve judgement until they actually announce Bungie's game and the next CoD, but I will say that I'm disappointed in  Hirshberg's comments because clearly they don't see anything wrong with doing yearly releases of a game. Kudos if they can keep it up and make great games consistently, but I'm not interested in playing the same game every year. The way they keep churning these out is the opposite of what they should do if they're trying to be seen as innovative..

transience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By transience

I've never understood why people relate Call of Duty to Guitar Hero. They're two completely different cases - one a novelty and the other from the most popular and overplayed genre in the world. People have been playing shooters like crazy for at least 15 years. Everyone claims Activision is riding COD hard and how it's going to capsize but it's done the exact opposite so far.

It seems to me like wishful thinking that the evil empire will go down whereas all the evidence in this case points in the other direction. Call of Duty is only getting bigger over time.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By A Likely Story

"Activision doesn’t always seem to get the credit it deserves in terms of innovation in my opinion, but there is no short supply of it, even in our narrower slate"  

Oh, please, don't flatter yourselves and call what you do innovation. All you're able to do is keep your herd following, but there's a reason why they're called sheep.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.