Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castle Crashers

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Aug 27, 2008

Grab three other knights and storm enemy forces in this downloadable beat-em-up with RPG elements, complete with smoothly-drawn graphics.

What would you rate CC (out of 10)?

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I'm still on the fence whether or not to buy it. It's just that I have so many arcade games that I got bored off after only a couple days (Dig Dug, Alien Hominid, UMK3, Geo Wars, Geo Wars 2, Braid) and since I'm still kicking myself for purchasing Braid, I was wondering if you guys really like CC so far or not.

Just give it a rating out of 10, thanks ;)

ScrapMetalHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ScrapMetalHead

I really like it, and I think it's a steal for the price they're asking: 1200MS. I myself would give it like a 8 or 8 1/2. Things you should consider first is: Do you like brawlers?, Do you have people you think would play this with you? if not then you wouldn't like this game IMO. I beat the games normal difficulty and that was about oh say 6-7hrs, some say that's short, but really for a brawler I think that's actually pretty good, Double Dragon would only take me like 2 1/2 hours to beat back in the day.  I'm also only lvl 43 right now and I think you can go to lvl 99. The Insane difficultly is hard (no kidding) the game tends to be easier with more people from what I've noticed. Being by yourself is fine but it's about the multiplayer that makes the game shine. Right now people are having problems with the servers, Me and my friends didn't but that was only 2 of us, however the Dev's say they're going to resolve the issue. Maybe this was me but I thought there was bit of a lag online, and I mean lag as in response of controls, my movement seemed a few milliseconds off when I was with my friend I had the same problem with Halo 3's online co-op, so that was weird that could just be me though. There's a lot of Animal orbs that you can collect I think there's like 25? and those are neat since they have abilities or help your stats. Somewhere around 40 weps, and I only have maybe 25-30 or so I never counted. So there's a lot of things to find and collect, the levels are varied EX: lava area, Ice, desert, forest, etc. The gameplay feels very tight and good which a brawler should be, the controls are nice and simple and I never felt like it was a pain to actually try and do a move or combo. This just my opinion but I think the game has good amount of depth to it for a XBLA release and price of 1200MS. This might sound exaggerated but to me, it seems like you'd find this game in stores for like 30 bucks, I don't know that might have been a stretch of a statement, but that's how I felt. Bottom line: if you like brawlers and 4 player co-op you'll probably like this game, the replay value seems good but I can't speak for everyone else's sense of the word. I just felt for the price and what's their it's a good deal, now will I be playing this in 3 weeks? maybe, I don't know but If I had to say which XBLA games have the most replay value out there, I'd pick this game to go in that catergory.  Just my two cents, if you bothered to read all this, thanks ;)

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    ScrapMetalHead said:
    "I really like it, and I think it's a steal for the price they're asking: 1200MS. I myself would give it like a 8 or 8 1/2. Things you should consider first is: Do you like brawlers?, Do you have people you think would play this with you? if not then you wouldn't like this game IMO. I beat the games normal difficulty and that was about oh say 6-7hrs, some say that's short, but really for a brawler I think that's actually pretty good, Double Dragon would only take me like 2 1/2 hours to beat back in the day.  I'm also only lvl 43 right now and I think you can go to lvl 99. The Insane difficultly is hard (no kidding) the game tends to be easier with more people from what I've noticed. Being by yourself is fine but it's about the multiplayer that makes the game shine. Right now people are having problems with the servers, Me and my friends didn't but that was only 2 of us, however the Dev's say they're going to resolve the issue. Maybe this was me but I thought there was bit of a lag online, and I mean lag as in response of controls, my movement seemed a few milliseconds off when I was with my friend I had the same problem with Halo 3's online co-op, so that was weird that could just be me though. There's a lot of Animal orbs that you can collect I think there's like 25? and those are neat since they have abilities or help your stats. Somewhere around 40 weps, and I only have maybe 25-30 or so I never counted. So there's a lot of things to find and collect, the levels are varied EX: lava area, Ice, desert, forest, etc. The gameplay feels very tight and good which a brawler should be, the controls are nice and simple and I never felt like it was a pain to actually try and do a move or combo. This just my opinion but I think the game has good amount of depth to it for a XBLA release and price of 1200MS. This might sound exaggerated but to me, it seems like you'd find this game in stores for like 30 bucks, I don't know that might have been a stretch of a statement, but that's how I felt. Bottom line: if you like brawlers and 4 player co-op you'll probably like this game, the replay value seems good but I can't speak for everyone else's sense of the word. I just felt for the price and what's their it's a good deal, now will I be playing this in 3 weeks? maybe, I don't know but If I had to say which XBLA games have the most replay value out there, I'd pick this game to go in that catergory.  Just my two cents, if you bothered to read all this, thanks ;)"
    Wow that was very detailed, thank you.
    ScrapMetalHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ScrapMetalHead

No problem :)

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    atheistium said:
    "Actually I like the game but I think the asking price is too high as I don't really feel the game has that value yet, of course I haven't played a lot yet so maybe my mind will change.
    So far I've got a broken game that I can only play single player. On top of that there is a hard learning curb where some single player levels really require 4 people to make it work :("
    It really gets that hard? Hmm, it was pretty easy for me in the demo but I guess that's only because it was the earlier levels on a lower difficulty level :\
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

i like it but its a bit pricy... demo was 8/10

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By KingBroly

Right now...an 8.  If they fix the netcode to the way it should be, it'll be a 9.  And by that I mean no dropping, I can join games, people joining, etc and fixing the glitches with losing data.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Oni
    atheistium said:
    "Actually I like the game but I think the asking price is too high as I don't really feel the game has that value yet, of course I haven't played a lot yet so maybe my mind will change.
    So far I've got a broken game that I can only play single player. On top of that there is a hard learning curb where some single player levels really require 4 people to make it work :("
    The game's difficulty scales with the number of players, so uhh I think all I can say is you (and your friends) aren't very good?

With the horrible bugs, the game is not worth buying yet. When online works good and well, easily worth 15 bucks.
    creamstatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By creamstatic
    KingBroly said:
    "Right now...an 8.  If they fix the netcode to the way it should be, it'll be a 9.  And by that I mean no dropping, I can join games, people joining, etc and fixing the glitches with losing data."
    horrible bugs? glitches with losing data? PASS.. I'm deleting it now.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By suneku

8 out of 10 for me. The game is just plain fun, and even more fun when you have friends playing with you.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Seppli

4 out  of 5 stars

+great style and humour
    +good and deep fighting system
    +great bossfights
    +coop is a blast
    -leveling multiple guys is tiresome, I'd rather earn the distributable points for every available character
    -no respeccing

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

9/10. It it extremely fun, plenty of gameplay and its only £10/$15. While that seems like allot because arcade games usually only cost $5-$10/£3.33-6.66, but when you consider the single player campaign is about 5 hours long, plus great fun online play and tonnes of replayability. When you consider that some $60/£45 games can last under 10 hours, its a bargain. If you enjoy the demo, then the full version is definitely worth it.

ScrapMetalHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ScrapMetalHead
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    "atheistium said:
    It really gets that hard? Hmm, it was pretty easy for me in the demo but I guess that's only because it was the earlier levels on a lower difficulty level :\"
    It does get harder but nothing a lone person can't handle, I mean you will die at some points, but it's not like "I can't beat this by myself because it's too overwhelming." I'll admit there were times where I was like "there's no way I can do this" but once I learned how to deal with certain situations better or grind my level I got through it. The insane difficulty is actually VERY hard at spots I found were extremely easy by myself on normal, I'm actually stuck on the Troll boss right now in insane, but people have beaten him by themselves so again it's not "tearing your hair out" frustration its just that old school game hurdle feeling of difficulty.
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    ScrapMetalHead said:
    "Jolly_Lolly said:
    "atheistium said:
    It really gets that hard? Hmm, it was pretty easy for me in the demo but I guess that's only because it was the earlier levels on a lower difficulty level :\"
    It does get harder but nothing a lone person can't handle, I mean you will die at some points, but it's not like "I can't beat this by myself because it's too overwhelming." I'll admit there were times where I was like "there's no way I can do this" but once I learned how to deal with certain situations better or grind my level I got through it. The insane difficulty is actually VERY hard at spots I found were extremely easy by myself on normal, I'm actually stuck on the Troll boss right now in insane, but people have beaten him by themselves so again it's not "tearing your hair out" frustration its just that old school game hurdle feeling of difficulty."
    Hmm, well thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna go buy it in a few hours or so, feels like a solid purchase for me. I was just worried that it was going to be insanely hard like Alien Hominid :\
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By CharleyTony

this game clearly deserves a 9/10 score but the online issues would make me give it a 8/10 in its current state...

good news is that they are already working on a patch...

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TEAMHOLT
    Oni said:
    "atheistium said:
    The game's difficulty scales with the number of players, so uhh I think all I can say is you (and your friends) aren't very good?

With the horrible bugs, the game is not worth buying yet. When online works good and well, easily worth 15 bucks."
    Yeah, the online suffers from the same problems a lot of XBLA games mysteriously do, and I'd avoid the game until it's patched, unless you've got friends you can play with regularly off-line.
    Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Carlos

a 9/10 so far no problems at all for me, even online :D

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Crono

Well first, I would say... why don't you just review the game on its giant bomb page?  It really is a 10 scale anyway if you count the fact that there are half-stars.  So why not skip this forum post and just review it?  That said, I would rate the game a 10 for a variety of reasons.  For me I include the fact that they are an independent developer because to me that is important.  I feel that, for just primarily 2 people making a game this is a fantastic game, better than most games made with larger teams and bigger budgets. 

I love the sounds, the pick-up-and-play gameplay, and of course the graphics.

The graphics are beautiful, I have been a fan of Dan Paladin for a long time, and I think the characters in Castle Crashers are by far my favorite.  I love the variety of levels in the game, sure most are standard, but the style that Dan works in makes them feel fun, varied and interesting.  I love the ambient animations of enemies.  I love how there is usually something going on in the foreground or background.  There is a lot of life to the game.  A lot of detail.  A lot of depth.

The game is awesome if you really think about all that went into by just 2 people.  There are others involved in the project but their roles were mostly supportive... I don't want to knock them, but let's face it, the stars of the show are Tom Fulp and Dan Paladin.  This and so much more are why I would give Castle Crashers a perfect score, personally.  Of course I don't work with a rubric or guideline to base my scores like many commercial reviewers do...  I just really enjoyed the game enough to recommend it to everyone I know, and therefore felt a 10 was the right decision :)

Avatar image for theworstplayerever
    TheWorstPlayerEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I would give this game a 10/10 hands down. It is one of the best games i've played all year and luckly, I haven't experienced any of the problems that other people seem to be having. Look for a full review on my page soon

NateNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NateNinja

Currently I would give it a 7 out of 10 because it's a shame that the devs couldn't figure out the game's online wouldn't work in play test. Other then that I think it deserves a 9/10, but that's if the online works flawlessly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.