Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

News: game's length, development time and multiple endings

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Basically: 

• Catherine has been in development for 2 years now.
    • The game will be fully voiced.
    • There will be multiple endings.
    • It will take players approximately 20 hours to finish the game during their first playthrough.
    • There will be difficulty settings.

Source 

20 hours sounds nice.  We don't know how exactly the game will play so I wonder what the difficulty settings are going to affect and it's also nice that there will be full voice acting.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SpiralStairs

I knew it wouldn't happen, but I was hoping for a 60+ Hr long game. 20's not bad though, and the multiple endings will probably add a ton of replay value, if they're worth going after.

Sounds great, I can't wait to play it.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By OmegaPirate

2 years and we heard nothing til now ? 
    Thats rare nowadays! 
    I honestly can't wait for this game, i know nothing about it - the characters, or the series but i am so intrigued xD

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

Sounds pretty standard for a story-driven game like this. Nothing on the actual gameplay itself though which is what I'm more curious about (aside from the weirdness of it all).

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @SpiralStairs: I didn't really think much about the playtime before this info, but I like that it'll be 20 hours mainly because this isn't an RPG and it could become repetitive—depending on the variety of the gameplay—if it was a bit too long.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By animateria

Hurm... It's a good length given that it's not meant to be an RPG.

I hope the game mechanics are enjoyable enough to play through multiple times for different endings.

With the advent of Youtube I don't replay such games unless I really enjoy playing them.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman

I really really want to see more gameplay. Deadly Premonition took me around 20 hours my first time through, so I'm fine with that length.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @FluxWaveZ:  Yeah, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'll just have to pace myself so that I don't beat it all in one day.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By meteora

This is a pretty good length considering how its not a RPG. Even with games like GTA IV you can finish it under 30 hours if you don't screw around and only gun for the story moving missions. Probably better examples out there though.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By thehexeditor

どうもありがとうございます!
    If it weren't for Giant Bombers posting news about this game, I would be totally in the dark.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By endaround
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " 2 years and we heard nothing til now ? Thats rare nowadays! I honestly can't wait for this game, i know nothing about it - the characters, or the series but i am so intrigued xD "
    In Japan its been tradition not to announce games until 3-6 months away from release.  That's changing as more games depend upon huge numbers in the US and Europe to make money and so they tend to follow the West's marketing plan. And of course FF is an exception to most things.  But smaller studios still hold off on talking about things until the games about 75% done.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Catolf

I wonder if the endings go:

• True ending
    • Good ending
    • Bad ending
    • YOUJUSTFUCKEDEVERYTHING ending

I also wonder if the True ending will be hidden as hardcore as Persona 4's true ending.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @Catolf:  A secret ending would be awesome, and all the SMT games I've played have Uber hard secret bosses.

Which reminds me, I still need to get the real ending in Nocturne, though that will likely take many many many many many many many many many hours of grinding.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By ReyGitano

20 hours is pretty good. I'm interested in this game, so it's good to know that even if I don't end up enjoying it as much as Persona 3 or 4, I won't have to worry about putting in the massive amounts of hours I did into those games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Ugh.

I will never understand people who want every game to be 60 hours.

If you took offense to that last statement, then you are one of those people.  Don't lie and say you aren't.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Ace829
    @Brodehouse said:
    " Ugh.

If you took offense to that last statement, then you are one of those people.  Don't lie and say you aren't. "
    20 hours for a non-RPG game? Sounds great to me!
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By Catolf
    @SpiralStairs said:
    " @Catolf:  A secret ending would be awesome, and all the SMT games I've played have Uber hard secret bosses.  Which reminds me, I still need to get the real ending in Nocturne, though that will likely take many many many many many many many many many hours of grinding. "
    XD I still need to finish persona 4 for myself, then move on to Digital Devil Saga then possibly Raidou or Nocturne, not sure which will come after that.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @Brodehouse:  I don't want EVERY game to be 60 hours, but seeing as this is from a company whose games usually last 40+ hours, I was hoping for a looooooooooooooooooong game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@SpiralStairs said:
    " @Brodehouse:  I don't want EVERY game to be 60 hours, but seeing as this is from a company whose games usually last 40+ hours, I was hoping for a looooooooooooooooooong game. "
    Why not hope for a good game, rather than a long one?

When I see a game that promises 60+ hours of gameplay, I see a director in need of an editor.  Give me the absolute best stuff you got, not 20 great hours spread among 40 hours of repetitive bullcrap.  Would any of the Persona games be worse if you cut the grinding out?  No, they'd be incredible.@Ace829 said:
    " @Brodehouse said:
    " Ugh.

If you took offense to that last statement, then you are one of those people.  Don't lie and say you aren't. "
    20 hours for a non-RPG game? Sounds great to me! "
    Why not an RPG that was 20 hours of consistently enthralling content, done in an RPG system?  Why does the name RPG have to be synonymous with repetitive, pace-destroying meandering?

I've had to back away from RPGs in the last few years, because I can't accept spending 10 hours doing meaningless sidequests to increase progress bars, while I could spend that same time to see the entire narrative of an action-adventure game.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Brodehouse: I didn't mind the grinding at all in Persona 4 and I definitely want Persona 5 to be 40+ hours in game length.  There are several reasons why people prefer long games, one of mine is that I can't afford games very much at all so I'm stuck with a few for long periods of time.  But, in Persona 3/4's case, I wouldn't see much benefit to cutting out content in order to shorten the duration of the game.  One of the reasons I dislike P3P is because they eliminated the presentation and made it more streamlined.  That makes the game go faster and some people like that better, but I vastly prefer it if I can see the characters move and control my own character in the world even if that makes for a longer and slower game.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @Brodehouse:   I don't mind a good 20 hour game, but I would also like a good 60 hour game. As for games that pad out their length with grinding, that's actually a plus for me. If the game is actually worth all the investment, then grinding for 30 hours just to beat a boss feels pretty rewarding.

But really, I think the length is fine, and I'm not any less excited for it because of this announcement.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mutha3
    @Brodehouse said:
    "

When I see a game that promises 60+ hours of gameplay, I see a director in need of an editor.  Give me the absolute best stuff you got, not 20 great hours spread among 40 hours of repetitive bullcrap.  Would any of the Persona games be worse if you cut the grinding out?  No, they'd be incredible.
    I didn't spend a single minute grinding in Persona games, really, the games are already grind-free if you have a solid understanding of its systems.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I just hope this gets an English (language) PAL release :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.