Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

CD Projekt Red

Company »

CD Projekt RED is a Polish developer best known for The Witcher franchise.

Witcher Developers Making Game Based on Pen-And-Paper RPG Cyberpunk

• 127 results
    dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By dropabombonit

I'm already sold as long as they can put it on PS3

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By penguindust

I used to play the original table top RPG, Cyberpunk 2013 and then later Cyberpunk 2020 back in college and it was a lot of fun. 80's cyberpunk is great with evil corporate mercenaries, Yakuza, and crazed net junkies. I can still remember my character. She was a very mildly wired "rockergirl" character archetype based loosely off Priss from the Bubblegum Crisis OVAs. I named her Aki. I am very excited to see what they do with this franchise since it was one of my favorites as a teenager. I wound up playing more Shadowrun when that eventually came out, but I'm not sure how long it's going to take for the proposed Kickstarter revived Shadowrun project to show up. So, until then, here's hoping that Cyberpunk 2020 satisfies my yearning for some good cybernetic adventuring. I'd really love to recreate Aki again in game.

Now if some developer would just take a crack at the Twilight 2000 franchise, I'd be a happy-camper.

Gordo789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Gordo789

I'm squealing with excitement. squealing.

TribalPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By TribalPlague

I've been a video gamer for a long time now, well over 20yrs and this news just made me shoot my load on my pants for the first time...

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By zityz

So there was a difference between Shadowrun Pen and paper and CyberPunk pen and paper? damn

Either way anything involving Cyberpunk in video games is a must purchase in my books. I love games like ShadowRun ( Snes/ Genesis) Dues EX series, E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy and Snatcher on the Sega CD.

Just too few and a VERY niche market for those, but given how awesome The Witcher and The Witcher 2 were, I have high hopes for this game.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
    mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#106  Edited By mustachioeugene

Cant wait to see what CD Pro does with a new setting/world.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#107  Edited By Chummy8

First Shadowrun Returns and now this!

Consider me excited.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Samael2138

@huser said:

@Samael2138 said:

@Phished0ne said:

Cool stuff, i'd rather it be based on Paranoia though. Now THAT was a pen-and-paper rpg that needs a video game reboot.

Yep!! Paranoia was crazy!! I still wish someone would make a game based on Palladium's Rifts, though. That has to be my favorite pen & paper RPG. Glitterboys and Juicers?? Yes, please!

edit: The travesty that was on the N-Gage doesn't count!!

I've thought for a while that Rifts was the only IP that HAD to be an MMO. Maybe not as they are currently constructed, but yeah I'd think as an overall meta structure it makes the most sense. Especially for studios that make more than one MMO. Just have characters running around destroying genre conventions left and right.

Thats exactly what my friends and I have been saying for a few years. I don't play MMO's, but if they made a Rifts MMO, its probably all I would ever do. And, with the way the world books are set up, expansions have practically written themselves. I can almost imagine how awesome a 40 person raid on Atlantis with a Dragon Dreadnought, or high lvl Splugorth as the end boss would be! A nerd can dream, right?

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#109  Edited By Tesla

Cyberpunk!

lokey013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By lokey013

Neat...I should prolly play the Witcher series first before this comes out =P

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By huser

@Quickdry said:

@Dagbiker

I'm in only if there is sex and nudity.

its CDP. I'm sure you'll get plenty of cyber-boobs. Maybe collectible USB sticks with naked chicks on 'em.

They will be data chips. OR if they really want to tweak the nose of the future of the 80's found in Cyberpunk, CD-ROMs or faxes.

@zityz said:

So there was a difference between Shadowrun Pen and paper and CyberPunk pen and paper? damn

Either way anything involving Cyberpunk in video games is a must purchase in my books. I love games like ShadowRun ( Snes/ Genesis) Dues EX series, E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy and Snatcher on the Sega CD.

Just too few and a VERY niche market for those, but given how awesome The Witcher and The Witcher 2 were, I have high hopes for this game.

One was the dark future of the 80's. The other was the weird future of a fantasy setting. Both had their quirks and their strengths.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By huser

@Samael2138: And of course the licensed stuff. A setting like Rifts allows basically plug and play options for any genre and any licensed IP the studio can get. I'd actually really like it. Just looking at say City of Heroes and Star Trek just as an example of the existential crazy that could happen with such an MMO set up.

Avatar image for shadowlegend300
    ShadowLegend300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#113  Edited By ShadowLegend300

Is It Open World?

Gamerhetor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#114  Edited By Gamerhetor

But, the question is if you'll have to buy the director's cut to get the "adult" content.

Also, antidisestablishmentarianism for the achievement... :)

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#115  Edited By BoG

THE STYLE IS SO AMAZING AND I WANT THIS GAME.

My excitement is worthy of caps lock. Seriously, this is awesome.

benefitevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By benefitevil

Does anyone know if the Pen and paper RPG they are cribbing is Shadowrun?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Clonedzero

@benefitevil said:

Does anyone know if the Pen and paper RPG they are cribbing is Shadowrun?

no, the pen and paper rpg they're basing it on is cyberpunk 2020 from what ive read. shadowrun is a different game. ive actually played both, hell i have both rulebooks in my bedroom. cyberpunk is way better btw.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By coakroach

Never played The Witcher games but what i've heard about them makes me super pumped for this.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#119  Edited By csl316

Go Poland, woo.

plato84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#120  Edited By plato84

This pleases me, I loved the Witcher 2, and Cyberpunk is my favorite setting, even though Deus Ex didn't do it for me, and Syndicate was short (and banned in AU)

Aristides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Aristides

When I was growing up I played a shitload of pen-and-paper RPGs so this sounds fucking rad! And I actually think this is an IP that people who aren't insane like me would also enjoy.

This also seems timely given the success of the Shadowrun kickstarter. It's pretty funny to think we're basically living in the time that Cyberpunk was set (2020 AD). I wonder how they handle that in the game. It seems reminiscent of Conan O'Brien's "In the Year 2000" gag continuing into the 21st century.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#122  Edited By BiG_Weasel

Pull it off, and CDProjekt just becomes a top-tier boutique developer.

seanord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#123  Edited By seanord

I would play this. A lot.

Avatar image for kungfu_teddybear
    Kungfu_Teddybear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really going to be keeping an eye out for news on this game because it sounds like it could be amazing. I love CD Projekt, I love The Witcher and The Witcher 2 and I love the idea of them making a cyberpunk RPG.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By TheChaos

Thank you based CDPR!

owlmassive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By owlmassive

Lets hope E.A dont buy them out and turn them into crap!

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By huser

@Aristides said:

When I was growing up I played a shitload of pen-and-paper RPGs so this sounds fucking rad! And I actually think this is an IP that people who aren't insane like me would also enjoy.

This also seems timely given the success of the Shadowrun kickstarter. It's pretty funny to think we're basically living in the time that Cyberpunk was set (2020 AD). I wonder how they handle that in the game. It seems reminiscent of Conan O'Brien's "In the Year 2000" gag continuing into the 21st century.

Just an alternate timeline I guess. The changes started at least since 1990, and given Jobs is still alive in 2020 (him and Woz run a little shop in Night City's Mallplex) that would be my turning point. Maybe computers never quite became the everyday consumer product. Hence why you need corner computers instead of everyone carrying around their own. Without that financial interest, surfing the net remained an esoteric thing that you needed specialized training to really pull off (the Netrunners), and companies invested in other avenues of income (drugs, cybernetics, space travel, overthrowing governments).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.