Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

Endurance Run - how is it going?

• 68 results
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Winternet

So yeah, I haven't been watching the Endurance Run. I'm a bad person I know. Nevertheless, I intend to do so.

I would just like to know from the dudes that are watching it, how is it going? Have you enjoyed it? And how many more episodes do you think it will take them to finish it? At some point I'm just going to suck it up and watch the all thing. But, if they're close to the end, I might just wait for them to reach it and starting watch then. So what do you guys say?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

I like it, its great. Funny the story is interesting and Patrick and Ryan are goo together. The've done some foolish things, forgetting some stuff but whatever. It's all fun.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By OllyOxenFree

It's going well. Just don't read any of the video comments.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Ruiner

it's fine....needs more Vinny...but otherwise fine

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By korolev

It's alright. However, if you've already played Chrono Trigger then it's not that interesting since you know what's going to happen. It's not nearly as crazy as P4 or Deadly Premonition, meaning that there's less material to make fun of.

And as others have said, don't read the video comments. Patrick and Ryan are pretty much playing through it blind - Ryan's never played it and Patrick has almost forgotten everything about it. They don't find all the secrets, they make mistakes and they play it like any other human being and for some reason that infuriates some people who bitch and moan about how they don't play it in a "perfect" way. Somehow I doubt the complainers played it "perfectly" the first time they played it.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TentPole

I got bored last week and stopped watching.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By TwoLines

It's coo.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SlightConfuse

its funny watching them forget everything the game tells them and forgetting to use dual techs

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Vexxan

It's pretty good, I haven't played Chrono Trigger before so maybe that makes it a little more exciting for me.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By TobbRobb

I don't know the story, so I think the game keeps me watching the most. So if you've played it already it probably won't be as interesting, especially since this combo isn't as consistently funny. That said, the guys are hilarious at points, and there is something fantastic about the childlike glee in Ryans voice, especially when they get awesome new stuff, I think it's really noticable that he's grown attached to the game.

And yes, they seem to close in on the end, depending on the amount of sidestuf they do, they might reach at most 7 or so episodes.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Grissefar

@TentPole said:

Same.

Ryan and Patrick are great but the game is not.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ravenlight

The Bomb Squad are bad at video games but their commentary more than makes up for it.

KindaSarcastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KindaSarcastic

It's alright, but it's no Persona 4 with Jeff and Vinny. I would love it if there was a new Endurance Run with Jeff and Vinny using a game that had a deep story. I feel that the Endurance Run format is enhanced if the game being played has a deep story, frequent character interaction, and a healthy dose of dialogue for the hosts to work with.

Plus, I just prefer Jeff and Vinny. I feel a little bad saying this, but, I'm not that big of a fan of Patrick either, so that doesn't help. Although, he's not that bad.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TentPole

@Grissefar said:

@TentPole said:

Same.

I think Chrono Trigger is a good game it just isn't very exciting to watch.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Grissefar

@TentPole said:

@Grissefar said:

@TentPole said:

Same.

Yeah it's boring as a hell to watch but the saddest thing is that it might kill the Endurance Run for good, which would be sad since Pat and Ryan are so happy together.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By beforet

@Grissefar said:

@TentPole said:

@Grissefar said:

@TentPole said:

Same.

Yeah it's boring as a hell to watch but the saddest thing is that it might kill the Endurance Run for good, which would be sad since Pat and Ryan are so happy together.

If anything is going to kill the Endurance Run it's assholes spamming their twitters.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mijati

I'm loving it but apparently I appear to be in the minority with that opinion. I'd say it's definitely worth watching. It starts off a bit slow I guess but I've become attached very quickly.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By neurotic

I like this one but not as much as the P4 and Deadly Premonition ones. I've found myself skipping through sections of it though, to get to story parts, since they don't fill the grindy bits with just general chat like Vinny and Jeff did in P4. It did make me buy Chrono Trigger though. Sure, they do stupid things but so did Vinny and Jeff in Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition was a stupid game. The Endurance Run endures through stupidity.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wjb

Ryan and Patrick make the most of it, considering Chrono Trigger doesn't lend itself to the same kind of humor as Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition did. I never played it, either, so them supposedly making all these mistakes doesn't bother me (not that it would if I did play it). Half the comments are complaints, but somehow Ryan and Patrick managed to get through 15-ish hours of it with only little setbacks.

They overlook "obvious" details sometimes, but I think everyone who has played games has done that.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King

They've definitely gotten better.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Winternet

I've never played Chrono Trigger so I have that going for me. What about where they're at in terms of completing the game? Some dude said 7 more episodes. Is that a somewhat fair assessment?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Winternet said:

I've never played Chrono Trigger so I have that going for me. What about where they're at in terms of completing the game? Some dude said 7 more episodes. Is that a somewhat fair assessment?

Assuming that they don't go for the extra endings, yea, that sounds about right. (Also, assuming they don't fuck the hell up in all their sidequests.)

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Winternet

In that case, I think I'll wait a couple of weeks and watch it all.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By destruktive

I like it..

Zealousadonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zealousadonis

I think it's more fun when they mess up, if they just powered through the game knowing where all the good stuff was it would probably be pretty uninteresting. The part of me that's played through Chrono Trigger a bunch of times wants to yell at the screen when they do something dumb but most of me finds it hilarious thinking "Man that's probably gonna bite them in the ass."

Hopefully they go through all the endgame sidequests, I think they'll need the stuff from finishing them to beat Lavos. I'm also curious what method they'll use to reach him.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's been good, they're just doing side-quests now so i guess it won't be long before it's all over

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cookiemonster

Its been alright. The main thing thats kept me hooked is the story. The gameplay isn't the best to watch and Patrick's starting to grind on me a bit though.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By shaunk

@Winternet said:

Seems about right. They could technically finish it tomorrows episode because they are right at the end of the game, but they have said that they will do the sidequests first.

The ER has been great so far, the guys handle every battle really intelligently and talk everything through which is cool to see. You wont get as much of the cool "whats up in your life" talk that you got during the battle segments of the P4 ER, simply because this battle mode is more engaged and they usually talk out the strategies to most of their battles. Just don't read the comments, no one that has complained about anything has had any logical complaints yet.

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TerraDelu

I love it, but it can be a bit boring if you've played through Chrono Trigger before. That said, I think that older RPGs are a great subject for future ERs.

Avatar image for captainsandwich
    CaptainSandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CaptainSandwich
    No Caption Provided

They've gotten a bit better after reading some comments, but it's like this for a lot of episodes. I've started to take a perverse glee in watching the game punish them, though.

I'd have to say I'm enjoying the Persona 4 ER better, for a lot of the reasons others have listed above, and more.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By FLStyle
    @CaptainSandwich: If I was only now watching the P4 ER, at the same time as the CT ER, I would guess that I'd much prefer P4 (PS. funny picture).

BUT

I have no problem seeing this through to the end, I've never played Chrono Trigger and I'm enjoying the ER.
    SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SmilingPig

Boring game to watch and Rian missed a chest witch is driving me crazy.

edit: Glad that they chosed to do an other endurance run tho.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TerraDelu said:

I love it, but it can be a bit boring if you've played through Chrono Trigger before. That said, I think that older RPGs are a great subject for future ERs.

I think Earthbound would be a pretty cool choice. If I remember correctly, that game is filled to the brim with absolute nonsense, and was a blast to play.

I'm really enjoying the Chrono Trigger run. I haven't played the game myself, so it's cool to see it played in an almost normal fashion. Ryan and Patrick seem like they're enjoying themselves and are invested in the game, and that helps quite a bit.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Nux

I love it. Its fun to watch but some of the things they do/don't do really make me crazy but hay I never played it before and I just enjoy watching it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@will_leisure said:

Ryan and Patrick make the most of it, considering Chrono Trigger doesn't lend itself to the same kind of humor as Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition did. I never played it, either, so them supposedly making all these mistakes doesn't bother me (not that it would if I did play it). Half the comments are complaints, but somehow Ryan and Patrick managed to get through 15-ish hours of it with only little setbacks.

They overlook "obvious" details sometimes, but I think everyone who has played games has done that.

I mostly agree with this. The only part I found infuriating was a segment of the game I made the same exact mistake on as they did, so I don't really reserve the right to complain. It'd be nice if they wouldn't mention something as being useful to them and the forgetting to check it out only a minute later, but, to be fair, that happened in the P4 ER as well, it's just the jumps between gear were farther in between.

If nothing else, you will be cheering for Uzzi Punch and Frog Squash by the end of it.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ltsmash

Ryan does the equivalent of "casting Bufu" every episode, so it's pretty great.

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By ShadowVirus

I missed one episode and then they all started piling up and I don't want to watch through about 20 episodes of it now.

From I did watch of it I thought it was good, but the game just doesn't interest me, and I get bored watching others play it no matter how funny they are.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@OllyOxenFree said:

It's going well. Just don't read any of the video comments.

@The_Ruiner said:

it's fine....needs more Vinny...but otherwise fine

I'd have to go with these two comments in a nutshell. :P

The early vids did lead me to question their general intelligence levels in a humorous way- but they've only gotten better over the course of the ER. Slowly- yet surely.

@Neurotic said:

they don't fill the grindy bits with just general chat like Vinny and Jeff did in P4.

This right here is my one main gripe with this ER that sets it below both of the previous ones. :\

Its still entertaining in its own ways though. :)

desolation15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By desolation15

@animathias: I am with you on the Earthbound idea. But I think they shot their wad of classic rpgs with Chrono Trigger. I doubt they'll do another one so close in the same vein as this one and don't think the audience want it either. Which is too gosh darn bad, because Earthbound is certainly a more cult-ish (and better) game. I can just see Ryan and Vinny playing off the jokes and all the absurdity this game had to offer.

As for this ER. Yeah it's okay. It's frustrating to watch at times because, well, no offence to Ryan but he is really bad at video games. His gaming skill is somewhere between a sideways cap 10-year-old who has been slightly retarded by a steady diet of Hawaii Punch, Slim Jims, Pro-wrestling and Saturday morning cartoons; and a 40 year old mattress salesman who spends his lunch hours feeding quarters like every game is bloody NARC at an arcade in the same mall where he works.

Okay, where was I? Right, it's frustrating to watch. I don't know, they're slow learners and they often come up with stupid theories that are usually wrong and then it takes forever for them to realize and reassess.

Poor inventory management. Such as only buying 5 shelters and 10 mid-tonics at the time. Not buying 999 on tonics to use as cheap heals when they have tens of thousands of Gs is just annoying.

I don't know if they've gotten better, I've stopped watching during the holidays. But now I have a huge backlog I can go back to and suffer through if I'm ever bored enough to do so. It's not bad, just not excellent.

But this ER did give us Brono, that alone makes Ryan and Patrick winners in my book.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#40  Edited By citizenkane

It's been getting better, but I can definitely see why people would be turned off by it, either due to their play style or the game itself.. Next time it would be best to play a more recent video game.

hoonsama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hoonsama

I'm still keeping up with it. Some episodes are much more annoyance inducing than most others so it's not too bad. I just wish Ryan and Patrick would read and experiment a bit more before giving up and blaming it on the game, though.

CaptainSandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CaptainSandwich

@CitizenKane said:

It's been getting better, but I can definitely see why people would be turned off by it, either due to their play style or the game itself.. Next time it would be best to play a more recent video game.

Nah, they're just trolling hard or being dumb. This reminds of of why CoD-heads say "nobody likes JRPGs."

Looking for an elemental weakness all the time when there probably isn't one, when informed by playing the game damn near 20 hours, and basically just wanting to throw barrels at things......then still doing that slow or inefficient enough to fail. This is like watching Forrest Gump, but taking away the complete opposite message of what was intended.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dany

This last week has been great. A lot of trial and error and testing to see what works.

ZombieSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ZombieSpace

I come for the endurance, i stay for the comments

CaptainSandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CaptainSandwich

@Dany said:

This last week has been great. A lot of trial and error and testing to see what works.

If by "a lot" you mean "3 techs," then sure. I hope Zeal or Lavos kills em off.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BisonHero

@animathias said:

I think Earthbound would be a pretty cool choice. If I remember correctly, that game is filled to the brim with absolute nonsense, and was a blast to play.

Yeah, Earthbound was the ridiculously obvious choice if they wanted to do a throwback game, being a cult RPG that not as many people have played as you might think. Whereas if you are willing to play RPGs at all, Chrono Trigger is so well known and it's been rereleased on so many platforms that I imagine far more people have already been there, done that. And the world of Earthbound is actually goofy and stupid enough that it's great fodder for the people doing the Endurance Run, or even if they can't come up with ways to poke fun at the game, the game is funny and entertaining in its own right. By comparison, the world of Chrono Trigger is... a decent fantasy world, and the plot is pretty serious and not terribad, so it's pretty tough material to work with compared to the previous two ERs.

Sadly, I think they've missed their chance on playing that one, as if they ever do an ER again, years from now, I imagine they will try to make it different again in some way, and not just play another SNES RPG.

CaptainSandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CaptainSandwich

Meh, let em fail. It's their damn site. They've got community support for future content, should they ask.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GooieGreen

@TentPole said:

@Grissefar said:

@TentPole said:

Same.

There it is. I really want to play this game since I haven't played it in ages... but... it is incredibly boring to watch this endurance run.

DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By DXmagma

I'm just gonna put it out there: Endurance run of Silent Hill 4.

mithical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mithical

The video comments make a small part of my soul die. If you're the sort of person who likes to laugh at people on the internet instead of weep for them, dive into the comments. Most people are too blinded by either their love of the game, their eagerness to put people down, or maybe just haven't developed the skills to take a step back and think about things a bit.

I agree with the majority when it comes to the run itself, it isn't as good as either VJ run but it's still fine. There isn't as much wackiness to drive the commentary, though being a JRPG it still has its fair share. It also has great music, which is a nice bonus.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.