Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

RPG Noob seeks advice...

CyborgDuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By CyborgDuo

Hey guys!

A while back I saw that Chrono Trigger was on PSN. Now,what I am going to say is blasphemy, but here it goes.

I have never played a JRPG before.

I had heard that CT was one of the best, so I decided that I needed to start somewhere. (Yes, I know that the PSN version is inferior.) I am now at the very end of Magus's castle. So far I know I've made some rookie mistakes, one of which forcing me to retread the entire dungeon just to give Marle and Frog magic.

Are there any other tips you could give to someone who's new to JRPGs? I get the gist of the combat mechanics, but I'm sure there's some more subtlety below the surface.

CyborgDuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By CyborgDuo

Hey guys!

A while back I saw that Chrono Trigger was on PSN. Now,what I am going to say is blasphemy, but here it goes.

I have never played a JRPG before.

I had heard that CT was one of the best, so I decided that I needed to start somewhere. (Yes, I know that the PSN version is inferior.) I am now at the very end of Magus's castle. So far I know I've made some rookie mistakes, one of which forcing me to retread the entire dungeon just to give Marle and Frog magic.

Are there any other tips you could give to someone who's new to JRPGs? I get the gist of the combat mechanics, but I'm sure there's some more subtlety below the surface.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JasonR86

@CyborgDuo:

My advice? Don't use the word noob.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By CptChiken

That was always my favourite part of JRPGs just blundering through them. I love the bits when i suddenly realise something that should be obvious. I got the exact same reaction as Jeff did when he discovered that phenix down was down like off a bird and not down as in fallen down in battle.   

For those of you that dont remember it: 

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TobbRobb

Don't die?

As long as you are making progress, you are doing it right. There aren't really that many general tips other than maybe (always have a healer, maximise the focus of your characters, like physical/magical/tank, don't be afraid to waste items). Most tips in Jrpgs are very speciifc for the game when it comes to battle tatics.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SpaceRunaway

@CyborgDuo:

I wouldn't say that you have to worry a lot about subtlety. As far as actual battles go, Chrono Trigger is kind of notoriously easy in the grand scheme of JRPGs (this doesn't detract from the greatness of the game though). Just familiarize yourself with the characters and when your party gets some more options, pick the ones that you personally like to use.

I also wouldn't say there's anything wrong with playing the PSN version, provided the version is the later Playstation version where they fixed the slowdown and video jitters.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bananaz

Blundering through is part of the fun sometimes. I would say, don't get jaded. I can't really get into these anymore. Your ignorance is a blessing. Anything that's not obvious, you will learn harshly. Be ready to switch up your strategy significantly sometimes, usually for bosses.

CyborgDuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CyborgDuo

@JasonR86: I know, I don't like using that term either. I couldn't think of another way to put it. I only have second hand JRPG experience through the Persona 4 endurance run.

CyborgDuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CyborgDuo

Oh, and I just go past Magus. I think I'm gonna roll with Robo and Marle. I like Robo as my tank, and I got past Magus by the skin of my teeth using Aura Whirl. I prefer Lucca over Marle because of her advanced fire skills, but I don't know when I might need Marle again. Does anyone know if the ending of the game is locked because it is the Playstation release? I know that the game has multiple endings based on who you play with, but I didn't know if they just created one anime-style cutscene for the Playstation version.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By SpaceRunaway

@CyborgDuo said:

Oh, and I just go past Magus. I think I'm gonna roll with Robo and Marle. I like Robo as my tank, and I got past Magus by the skin of my teeth using Aura Whirl. I prefer Lucca over Marle because of her advanced fire skills, but I don't know when I might need Marle again. Does anyone know if the ending of the game is locked because it is the Playstation release? I know that the game has multiple endings based on who you play with, but I didn't know if they just created one anime-style cutscene for the Playstation version.

Okay, it's been a long time since I've played this game, but I'm pretty sure this isn't quite right. I'm pretty sure at the end of the game the vanilla ending involves all the characters in the conclusion. The other endings are determined by when you choose to beat the game in NG+ and also some stuff that I won't say because spoilers. I don't remember however, exactly how the PS version wraps it up. My recollection is that the original ending plays, and then the cutscene plays after it, as the events depicted in each don't really overlap.

Edit: The PS cutscene might have even been an "after the credits" type affair. Hopefully someone remembers for certain.

elbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By elbon

@CyborgDuo: who are these characters you are talking about there is no character named Robo Marle or Lucca in Bhrono Trigger

bluefroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bluefroman

Honestly, the best possible advice is make sure you read everything in the game, because generally, where you have to go, or what you have to do is a lot of times, subtly dropped just from a conversation with NPCs. And make sure to talk to all npc's you might see too.

Also, if you ever feel like your character line up isn't packing enough punch, try grinding out some levels. It is the most tedious part of any RPG, Japanese or otherwise, but a lot of times necessary, or try different combinations with the characters you have.

One last thing, ALWAYS have a healer!

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By DeF

Besides "shoot that guy!" what you should know is that despite what some people would like you to believe, not all JRPGs are the same. Many of them are and usually there is a long running series that is very same-y every time a new game comes out (Tales of... series) but if you know where to look (or to ask) you'll find some cool variety. I feel the need to point this out since you said you have never played one before. Just wanna make sure you know what's what :)

And yea, that healer thing is pretty important! You never not want to have a healer in your party but I think you've figure that out already :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.