Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 2

Game » consists of 37 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Set three years after the original Crysis, an ambushed Marine named Alcatraz dons the famous Nanosuit and fights his way through an obliterated New York City to stop the alien invasion.

Demonstration in why I hate PC gaming

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

The official demo is handled pisspoorly...

The whole 'invalid nickname' bug, so only accounts created out of the demo's own menu, are being accepted (existing IDs or ones created directly on MyCrisis.com don't work) is a bitch. Logging in takes forever, if it even is able to log-in. Once I'm logged in, it prompts me directly to a playlist, which it then fails to retreive.

I swear to fucking god. The pirates had less of a hassle with the version that leaked earlier this month. I kinda regret not jumping on that in hindsight. Was probably install and go. Seriously - why doesn't anyone ever launch an online multiplayer game properly? This should be a demo, which sells me on the game. Effectively, it does make me ponder my decision to play it on my DX11 gaming rig. I don't know if I want to deal with all this hassle. Already spent a couple of hours on this shit being pissed, can't take much more of it.

When does the PSN demo go online? Not doing the whole 360 gold subscription anymore and hate to deal with PC-centric issues - if it runs smoothly at a reasonable quality, I'll guess I'll drop 10 bucks more to play the technically inferior PS3 version. As long as I don't have to deal with this enraging bullshit.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

It's not a PC issue 
    its a Crysis 2 issue on the PC, because its a shameless port 

Keep on hating PC gaming, lets see how you deal with Battlefield 3 on the PC ;]
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Seppli
    @Ahmad_Metallic: 

I'll play BF3 on PC, because I can and thus I must. It's gonna be the definite version of the game. Can't say the same about Crysis 2 from what I've seen thus far.

As soon as the next generation of consoles is out, I'll drop PC gaming like the piece of shit it is - save for the PC-exclusive MMOs and RTSs and RPGs out there.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By PhatSeeJay

There will always be issues in PC gaming, no matter what game you'll play. The differences in the various graphics cards, motherboards and SO ON will always ensure that there are at least a good percentage who's gaming experience will be fucked up the first weeks until it's patched and fixed. Anything requiring online registration and database access will also suffer the first week because there's not a set community to run from unlike the XboxLive and PSN.

Test of patience? Hell yes.
    Worth it? Oh God yes.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By MildMolasses

I could understand if you had to spend hours hunting down patches and changing settings in order for it to run that it would make you hate pc gaming. But this just sounds like server issues. On a demo. That's mp only. For a game that no one has ever praised for is mp.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By NTM

It's fine and fun for what it is, but come on, Crysis + Single player = Where it's at. The thing I find awkward though, is that the PC's demo is set up with words on menu as if it were played on a console. Like when you start the demo it says "Press Start". I too want a PS3 demo, and hope there's one soon. Though I don't think there'll be one.
    QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By QuistisTrepe

It's just a demo. All software has some bugs, this just happens to be a more embarrassing bug. The gaming public serves as unwitting beta testers. Sadly this is how far quality control has fallen.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli
    @MildMolasses said:

" I could understand if you had to spend hours hunting down patches and changing settings in order for it to run that it would make you hate pc gaming. But this just sounds like server issues. On a demo. That's mp only. For a game that no one has ever praised for is mp. "

It's just the latest example of how PC gaming isn't my cup of tea. I wrote bootdisks with gusto, just do play games my dad's 286' PC couldn't really handle back in the day. Not that passionate anymore about such stuff. I like my gaming platform standardized and my games optimized. I like a streamlined online experience. I hate having to surf the nets for clues on what the fuck is going wrong on my end.

Just recently I bought the Dragon Age : Origins Ultimate Edition. Guess what - everytime I start that bugger up (great game), I have to manually prompt some Windows7 services program and start a DRM program manually to get my DLC authenticated - otherwise I cannot play. Fucking great. And yeah - that was another hour or more spent on searching for a solution to a retarded problem. Fuck that.
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SomeJerk

Q:
    1) They made it an MP demo because they didn't want people to find out that all the things they loved out of Crysis 1 and CW SP was gone.
     2) They ran a script that converted the 360 MP demo data into PC compatible stuff and squeezed this out.

A:
    1 + 2

dirtydata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By dirtydata

It isn't a PC issue at all. If they had used Steamworks it would have worked flawlessly. This is the publisher and/or developers crap shoot. Publishers need to drop their brick and mortar retailer relationships so developers can implement competent modern day matchmaking without making the player leave the game to open a web browser. It is 2011, wtf  Crytek/EA?!

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai

:(

notha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By notha
    @NTM said:
    " It's fine and fun for what it is, but come on, Crysis + Single player = Where it's at. The thing I find awkward though, is that the PC's demo is set up with words on menu as if it were played on a console. Like when you start the demo it says "Press Start". I too want a PS3 demo, and hope there's one soon. Though I don't think there'll be one. "
    the [press start] thing made me facepalm when opening the game. how hard is it to edit a line of text. thats the kind of laziness that shows complete disrespect for the PC community and crytek fucked up big time with this one 
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Th3_James

BF3 on PC /endthread

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Pie
    The OP is talking a lot more generally about how much variation PC gaming has and how complicated it can be at times to set everything up properly. 
    Speaking as someone who is pretty much a pure console player I don't see how all the bullshit you have to do and put up with on PC is worth it just to get a slightly superior version of a game. (24-64 and all pc exclusives do suck though)
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By buft
    @MildMolasses said:
    " I could understand if you had to spend hours hunting down patches and changing settings in order for it to run that it would make you hate pc gaming. But this just sounds like server issues. On a demo. That's mp only. For a game that no one has ever praised for is mp. "
    exactly, thats a lot of hate for so little effort, this is how wars are started!
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

The one thing to dislike about PC gaming are the aimbot users, I encounter every other day.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By VooDooPC

MyCrysis is not related to the in game log in at all. The log in the game uses is GAMESPY. Don't bitch because you can't read.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jack268
    @VooDooPC said:
    " MyCrysis is not related to the in game log in at all. The log in the game uses is GAMESPY. Don't bitch because you can't read. "
    When I used my Gamespy login it said it contained invalid characters (JackTWOSIXEIGHT, sure is invalid in here). My MyCrysis account worked first try.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldnt even make a account the damn thing just hangs I gave up from what people have been saying I didn't miss anything special the game is a crappy port  for god sakes it says press start on the main menu hell I don't see a start button on my k/b.The worst thing of all is they copied COD why don't they come up with there own ideas or at  least copy a better mp game. Anyways I could care less about Crytek these days its all about BF3 for me.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Malakhii

Sounds like your making a mountain out of a molehill. Throwing all of PC gaming under a bus because the Crysis 2 demo had a fuck up? Sheesh.  

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Jack268 said:
    " @VooDooPC said:
    " MyCrysis is not related to the in game log in at all. The log in the game uses is GAMESPY. Don't bitch because you can't read. "
    When I used my Gamespy login it said it contained invalid characters (JackTWOSIXEIGHT, sure is invalid in here). My MyCrysis account worked first try. "
    Same here. 
    DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DarkTravesty
    @VooDooPC said:
    no, it is.
    Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Nomin

Yeah, don't play Crysis 2 on PC. It is yet another victim in a long line of constardization. 

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @Seppli: you're so angry over trivial shit like this its ridiculous its literally makes you enraged because you could not handle it anymore and now you are dropping the entire platform because of it? ha.
    genpatton7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By genpatton7

Crysis 2 demo is a piece of junk, between the horrible registration issues where somehow my name and the name of my friends were taken, to the loose console-style controls that make it play like a dog.  

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, Crysis 2 does not define PC gaming, it defines the laziness of Crytek in creating this port.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RsistncE
    @Seppli said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic:   I'll play BF3 on PC, because I can and thus I must. It's gonna be the definite version of the game. Can't say the same about Crysis 2 from what I've seen thus far.  As soon as the next generation of consoles is out, I'll drop PC gaming like the piece of shit it is - save for the PC-exclusive MMOs and RTSs and RPGs out there. "
    You know I'm almost willing to sink down to your level and call console gaming "a piece of shit like it really is," but I'm not quite so stupid to realize that both consoles and PC's have great titles and that I prefer to be able to play on both. Either way this has nothing to do with the PC and everything to do with the fact that Crytek is fucking retarded and made a shit port. Either way I only want to play the single player which looks like it'll be far superior on the PC for the same usual reasons that FPS's are better on PCs.

The funniest thing is you're trying to invalidate a superior platform over a poorly handled multiplayer demo. LOL. You're also pretty dense if you think that next generation consoles will somehow exceed PC's in technical capability: consoles with NEVER be more powerful than PC's, get used to it. Such a console kiddie. 
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I bet the world would explode if Battlefield ended up having a push to start at the title screen.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CptPanda29
    @Ahmad_Metallic: That video truly is increadible. 

back to OP, it's all the crazy DRM that lasted a whole "negative few months" and security stuff blocking every other action until you signed into 16 different services and promised your first born son to EA.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Malakhii said:
    " Sounds like your making a mountain out of a molehill. Throwing all of PC gaming under a bus because the Crysis 2 demo had a fuck up? Sheesh.   "
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Except the PC version plays amazingly well, where as the Console versions play like shit.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Seppli
    @pwnasaurus:@RsistncE:@MordeaniisChaos:

Dude - I'm not writing off PC gaming completely. Always will play worthwhile exclusives given an adequate rig.

I'm fed up with poor optimization. I'm fed up with a non-streamlined online experience and infrastructre that can't handle day 1-like stress situations. I'm fed up for all the time I have to spend troubleshooting games when I'm gaming on PC. Stuff I just don't have to deal with on consoles. I'm playing videogames and computergames since the C64 and I've seen it all. PC gaming is the least satisfying. There's always something that's just not spot-on. Most trouble, least fun.

At the end of the day, If I can chose between PC and console and the console version ain't drastically inferior, I usually prefer the console version, because it doesn't give me any grief. No tech grief. Streamlined online environment. Persistent account over all games. Even playingfield. Way less hacks. It's just way more convenient and there's way less hassle involved.

When I got my DX11 rig about a year ago, I reinstalled Crysis 1. Awesome - finally playin' Crysis all smooth like. Progressed to last boss. There's a BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) crashing me to my bootscreen - the bug can't be circumvented and it's specific to my particular combination of hardware and software. No patch or driver has fixed this issue yet. So yeah - that's the kind of fucking shit PC gives me. As soon as consoles move forward, I'll drop playing multiplatform titles on PC instantly.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RsistncE
    @Seppli: Fair enough, I guess you've had a rash of bad luck with PC gaming so I can see why you would think that way. Personally the opposite is true for me, so to each his own I guess. Just don't go dumping all over PC gaming just because it didn't work for you though.
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @Seppli: trouble shooting is not that bad for me. it doesn't bother me and i cant handle a controller they are just so shitty and awful.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#34  Edited By zidd

The entitlement complex of PC gamers is why I hate PC gaming.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zityz

I play both PC and console. All my multi player games are on PC because 1. everyone I play with uses pc for multi and 2 I'm already paying for the internet. I don't need ANOTHER fee to pay for for what maybe 2 games i''ll play for a month or so online. Just not worth it for me.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Seppli

At least the game's a ton of fun. After 48 hours of no-go, tonight I finally was able to play. I literally played the night away until I hit rank 10 and then some. It's now past 7 AM. I'm gonna take my leave now and sleep well, because I'm reassured that Crysis 2's gonna be a fun experience on my PC.

Did that really have to take 2 days of growing pains? PC gaming... an aquired taste. Like BDSM. I'm just not the type who enjoys getting his balls slapped with a paddle - that's all.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By yinstarrunner

The issue in OP doesn't seem like a PC issue, it seems more like a shitty logistical problem on EA's side. 

PC gaming can be a pain in the ass, and often is.  You're right about that.  But I'd rather have my balls slapped by technical issues that I can 99% of the time fix or workaround, than have my balls slapped by multi-billion dollar corporations intent on controlling my gaming experience.  Unfortunately, a lot of that crap seems to be coming to the PC as of late.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

pc gaming always have issues. consoles is true gaming machine.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Pie said:
    " The OP is talking a lot more generally about how much variation PC gaming has and how complicated it can be at times to set everything up properly. Speaking as someone who is pretty much a pure console player I don't see how all the bullshit you have to do and put up with on PC is worth it just to get a slightly superior version of a game. (24-64 and all pc exclusives do suck though) "
    Yeah because having to Open Your NAT for matchmaking to work is something exclusive to the PC.  Oh wait, it isn't even a PC issue issue at all.  it's a console issue.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By Seedofpower

GOD damn it.

dirtydata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dirtydata
    @Pie:  I am a computer person who builds their own rigs and I enjoy making sure all the parts work together to make an effective gaming machine. So I get where you're coming at with this comment and it really depends on the person.

For me, PC gaming isn't just seeing the 'slightly' better graphics, it is the culture of building my rig, understanding how it works, and how to get the most out of what I have in an efficient way. So what you call bullshit I call fun. Just a difference in what we both enjoy doing in life.

Have a good day.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Pie
    @DirtyData: Yeah, I get that people enjoy the PC "lifestyle" but it's just not for me. Atleast not yet
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FirePrince

I can't even play the demo, because the game thinks I'm not connected to the internet. 
    Weird, given that the other day I was playing and it was fine.Oh well.Guess it killed itself.

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fullmetal5550
    @AnnouncerGXZ said:
    " pc gaming always have issues. consoles is true gaming machine. "
    The PC and the Consoles are both good in different ways. All your post is going to do is cause a flamewar between PC gamers and Console gamers. Nobody wants that.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

"   Keep on hating PC gaming, lets see how you deal with Battlefield 3 on the PC ;] "

*Cough* Bad Company 2 *cough*

You really put too much faith into DICE, dude. BF3 looks good, but all we've seen so far is linear, scripted gameplay from the singleplayer campaign. The fact that people are excited that a real time event flashes WASD on the screen shows just how low the PC community has sunk in recent years.
    invadernick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By invadernick

I understand how he feels, sometime it can take so much effort for me to run a game properly on PC when I could easily load it on my PS3. But when it works, it's definitely better than any console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.