Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dante

Character » appears in 29 games

Dante is the star of Capcom's Devil May Cry series and the son of the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda. He is also the owner of his own business as a demon hunter, stationed at his Devil May Cry shop along with Trish.

Anyone saying Dante is no longer cool in the new DmC...

• 123 results
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By Brendan

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Brendan: Well when you say "You know what everyone, he was always lame." You imply that you are the only correct one and that everyone else is wrong. Its snobbish is all.

You response is nothing more than a product of the new "faux" internet maturity, where you think that every post needs to come with six different disclaimers and "in my opinion's" because you can't grasp that everything I say I clearly my own opinion. I imply nothing of what you are saying. I say simply what I personally believe, because obviously.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Strife777

I kinda like his new design. Let's have a little diversity people, especially when everyone complains about bald space marines.

A lot of things look cool, I think this new Dante is one those many things.

Edit: Oh and also, whatever you have to say about the character design, that first image is a pretty great piece of artwork.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Fuck I didn't realize this was one of the threads where everything said is taken literally and as fact. Some of y'all are mental.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By DystopiaX

still doesn't look cool

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#55  Edited By Kyle

@SethPhotopoulos said:

Well based on that one thing you said it makes you look like an ass. It was pretty good evidence too. It was prejudiced. It was snobbish. That other guy too.

Yeah... Or maybe it was just a more colorful way of saying we think Dante is kind of a dumb character.

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@Brendan said:

Guess what guys? Dante was always lame. Always. Seriously, watch the opening cinematic of DMC 3. Most juvenile thing ever.

if by juvenile you mean over the top fun. then yea. gah i can understand DMC fans that dont like the new look coming onto topics like this, but if you arent even interested in DMC, then why comment?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Kyle said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

Well based on that one thing you said it makes you look like an ass. It was pretty good evidence too. It was prejudiced. It was snobbish. That other guy too.

Yeah... Or maybe it was just a more colorful way of saying we think Dante is kind of a dumb character.

I can't argue against that one.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By skadave

I am a big fan of ninja theory. . . never played a devil may cry game before, so i don't really care what he looks like now or then. I just have faith that they will put out another quality title.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By david3cm

These aren't cool despite of the misogyny, they are cool because of the misogyny.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By EchoEcho

If you gave him shaggy, white hair, he'd look almost identical to his original design, only a bit younger. Just one of the reasons why the frothing anger over the design change is so amusing to me.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By James_ex_machina

I wouldn't say cool but, I don't mind the look at all. I'm tired of the Duke Nukem clones or muscle-head protagonist . As a guy who goes for the rock star look as opposed to the jock, or corporate-America-cookie-cutter-haircut with the light blue button down shirt and old Navy khaki look, I don't mind it. We've got a million CoD games with guys in fatigues so what's wrong with this dude. They could always make it a anorexic girl in a shirt skirt with triple G's.... now that would be original

btw: I'm don't mind the look of the dude. I don't need the Duke Nukem wanna be harem going either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Was Dante really considered cool at one point?  Sure he does cool things but  he always looked like a typical effeminate anime protagonist to me.   Dante doesn't have shit on Garcia Hotspur or even an otaku dork like Travis Touchdown.

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@Meowshi said:

You are very defensive about Dante.

i agree. i love both DMC and Ninja Theory. them coming together is a dream. that's all.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By kashif1

@ultimatepunchrod said:

@Brendan said:

Guess what guys? Dante was always lame. Always. Seriously, watch the opening cinematic of DMC 3. Most juvenile thing ever.

if by juvenile you mean over the top fun. then yea. gah i can understand DMC fans that dont like the new look coming onto topics like this, but if you arent even interested in DMC, then why comment?

Here is my comment on old, Dante always looked cool and acted with a level of confidence that was cool, but the thing that made the old Dante cool was that his voice actor could somehow pull of the awful and juvenile lines he was given.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Brendan

@ultimatepunchrod said:

@Brendan said:

I like DmC games. That doesn't mean that I don't see how lame a character Dante is.

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@onarum said:

Still looks like a wimpy emo kid to me, but he looked like a wimpy emo kid before as well so, who effin cares.

Japanese devs must learn the definition of badass I think:
    badass
    badass
    wimpy emo BS
    wimpy emo BS
    badass
    badass
    wimpy emo BS
    wimpy emo BS
    I don't know about you, but when I'm playing a game I rather have a character who is a badass and not some wimpy emo BS.

i think you made your point very clear by saying "whiny emo BS" a bunch.

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@Brendan said:

@ultimatepunchrod said:

@Brendan said:

I like DmC games. That doesn't mean that I don't see how lame a character Dante is.

ok that makes a bit more sense. the dialogue in some of them was a bit cringe-worthy.

"even as a child i had powers."

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By Milkman

I want to know what world we live in where this was ever cool.

DMC3 Dante
    DMC3 Dante
    WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By WalkerD

In my opinion, I thought the old Dante looked like a whiny bitch cunt, who acted immature and appealed to a younger audience with a really fucked up opinion of what was cool. In my opinion, I think the new Dante looks like a whiny bitch emo cunt douchebag, who acts immature in a different way and appeals to the same audience that would have thought the previous Dante was cool. That said, I can see why some people would be bothered by the redesign, since he looks like one of the whiny bitch emo cunt douchebags on the dev team.

In my opinion, I shouldn't have to state that everything is my opinion and not set in stone fact. In my opinion some people in this topic are coming off as tryhard internet intellectuals and need their fucking teeth kicked in.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#70  Edited By Afroman269
    No Caption Provided
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By TheFreeMan

Looks alright. Gonna be pretty hard to top old Dante though, since he was pretty much like Ash from Evil Dead 2/3 given superpowers. Lots of fun. Also, while I easily prefer any incarnation of Dante over the nonsense that is Kratos and Warhammer Space Marines, they're all stupid and juvenile. kratos and the space marines are stupid and juvenile and grim. and stupid.

and that's just like my opinion man

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By artelinarose

Nope, still sucks.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@WalkerD: Yeah I acted like an ass.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Strife777

@TheFreeMan said:

kratos and the space marines are stupid and juvenile and grim.

That's basically it. Kratos is just angry all the time and hates everything, he's kind of a crybaby. Space Marines are religious zealots who just kill everything that defies them. Both are kind of dark for the sake of being dark.

Don't get me wrong, I like both as much as I like Dante. But I think they all have an equal amount of "badass-ness" and stupidness.

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@ProfessorEss said:

If I was a bigger DMC fan, I'd be much more worried about Ninja Theory's questionable reputation on the gameplay front than anything else.

that's interesting, considering they were both fantastic games.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#76  Edited By Hailinel

@ultimatepunchrod said:

@ProfessorEss said:

If I was a bigger DMC fan, I'd be much more worried about Ninja Theory's questionable reputation on the gameplay front than anything else.

Enslaved was not praised for its combat, and Heavenly Sword was little more than a God of War-esque game. Neither one even approximates the gameplay style of Devil May Cry.

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ElBarto

I like the way he looks now better than the old Dante.

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@WalkerD said:

In my opinion, I thought the old Dante looked like a whiny bitch cunt, who acted immature and appealed to a younger audience with a really fucked up opinion of what was cool. In my opinion, I think the new Dante looks like a whiny bitch emo cunt douchebag, who acts immature in a different way and appeals to the same audience that would have thought the previous Dante was cool. That said, I can see why some people would be bothered by the redesign, since he looks like one of the whiny bitch emo cunt douchebags on the dev team.

In my opinion, I shouldn't have to state that everything is my opinion and not set in stone fact. In my opinion some people in this topic are coming off as tryhard internet intellectuals and need their fucking teeth kicked in.

i like how you're calling the design immature while using every swear in the fucking book

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SuperWristBands

@onarum said:

Still looks like a wimpy emo kid to me, but he looked like a wimpy emo kid before as well so, who effin cares.

Japanese devs must learn the definition of badass I think:
    badass
    badass
    wimpy emo BS
    wimpy emo BS
    badass
    badass
    wimpy emo BS
    wimpy emo BS
    I don't know about you, but when I'm playing a game I rather have a character who is a badass and not some wimpy emo BS.

Space Marines look fucking terrible and that example picture you have is even worse. Dudes got a tiny-ass head and a giant body (and those shoulder pads look goofy and always will). I don't have a problem with "manly-badass" characters and the prettier badass characters that Japan tends to make but fuck Space Marines. (also fuck Cloud and most Final Fantasy leads)

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@Hailinel said:

@ultimatepunchrod said:

@ProfessorEss said:

Enslaved was not praised for its combat, and Heavenly Sword was little more than a God of War-esque game. Neither one even approximates the gameplay style of Devil May Cry.

im not trying to be a smartass but have you yourself played them? i have and i popped in heavenly sword recently, there are plenty of similarities to DMC. and its not as much of a GOW clone as people keep saying. i love GOW but i honestly think that HS is much deeper in terms of combat. the only similarity is that some attacks by Nariko are done with chain weapons (which are the weakest and only needed in certain contexts), QTEs (which most action/adventure games have now), and you dodge rolled with the right stick. other than those theyre only as similar as any other 3rd person action/adventure game is these days. IN MY OPINION.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGreatGuero said:

You know, I don't ever even use this word, but I can't think of a better word than "douche" to describe how Dante looks here.

Odd, I never really use that word either but he does look like a total douchebag.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#82  Edited By Silver-Streak

The design and ideas in the images are pretty awesome. The reimagined Dante still looks like the lead designer for Ninja theory, and does not look interesting as an protagonist at all.

Edit: Edited because I'm a moron, as corrected antagonist to protagonist, as WalkerD below pointed out. This is what I get for posting while trying to be as even handed as possible at something I highly dislike.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By WalkerD

@ultimatepunchrod: I was just covering everyone else's opinions in one post. I thought I'd mention again in this post that Dante is a terrible character however.

@Eujin: He's the protagonist.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#84  Edited By Hailinel

@ultimatepunchrod said:

@Hailinel said:

@ultimatepunchrod said:

@ProfessorEss said:

im not trying to be a smartass but have you yourself played them? i have and i popped in heavenly sword recently, there are plenty of similarities to DMC. and its not as much of a GOW clone as people keep saying. i love GOW but i honestly think that HS is much deeper in terms of combat. the only similarity is that some attacks by Nariko are done with chain weapons (which are the weakest and only needed in certain contexts), QTEs (which most action/adventure games have now), and you dodge rolled with the right stick. other than those theyre only as similar as any other 3rd person action/adventure game is these days. IN MY OPINION.

Really? Then what similarities are there? (Aside from, you are a person that runs around and kills things with a sword.) In your own post, you named more similarities that HS has with GOW than with DMC.

vinsanity09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By vinsanity09

@Meowshi said:

Dante was never cool. He went from one shitty design to another shitty design. It baffles me that anyone cares or considers Dante a visually interesting character in any way.

Fuck I hate Japan and its awful, awful character design.

edit: That first picture is an excellent piece of artwork though.

Dude, you have 1 716 posts on a gaming forum and you have a WWE superstar's shirt as your profile picture, you ain't telling me what's cool and what isn't.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By mordukai

@Atomasist said:

@Spoonman671 said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

Orange and teal. Again.

Can we all stop pointing this out now? It's no longer interesting.

Can we all stop pointing out those who pointed this out now? It's no longer interesting.

*pointing at the pointers that points*

@Hailinel said:

That Ninja Theory guy Dante "mysteriously" resembles must think incredibly highly of himself.

I just call it a douchebag or a cunt, you pick.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#87  Edited By CrimsonNoir

Orange and teal is awesome.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Sooty

He looks like a skinny swarmy little shitbag.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By shinigami420

WOW this looks like fucking shit but thats what you get when you get a trashy british company to make the next dmc game

sugetipula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By sugetipula

Puting a western guy in a japanesse game is not gonna increase the sale numbers. Just look at Shadows of the Damned.

If anything, this move they made will piss-off fans. They couldn't even come with a more original concept for that guy. He just looks like a lame-ass action movie douchebag.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Nentisys

@TheGreatGuero said:

You know, I don't ever even use this word, but I can't think of a better word than "douche" to describe how Dante looks here.

This. I never thought dante was especially cool but this dude just looks like a fucking piece of shit slimeball.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By shinigami420

@skadave said:

I am a big fan of ninja theory. . . never played a devil may cry game before, so i don't really care what he looks like now or then. I just have faith that they will put out another quality title.

HAHAHAHAHA not sure if troll

Enslaved and Heavenly Sword where mediocre andKung Fu Chaos was fucking shit

but hey not everyone can have good taste in games some like shit and some like quality and ninja theory aka Just Add Monsters Ltd is shit

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Chop

I still prefer his gay cowboy design

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Dogma

Wow...the hate is large everywhere. I really don't understand it. I for one welcome it to give an "old" franchise some new shine.

Yeah, and I found this new TGS trailer...

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#95  Edited By jacksukeru

@Brendan said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Brendan: Well when you say "You know what everyone, he was always lame." You imply that you are the only correct one and that everyone else is wrong. Its snobbish is all.

You response is nothing more than a product of the new "faux" internet maturity, where you think that every post needs to come with six different disclaimers and "in my opinion's" because you can't grasp that everything I say I clearly my own opinion. I imply nothing of what you are saying. I say simply what I personally believe, because obviously.

Funny thing about implications is that they're implied e.i. not always obvious even to the one making them.

It is easier for most people to accept anothers opinion if they are being humble and appear sympathetic, can we agree on this? When you say stuff, like what you did, the way you said them e.i. without disclaimers (and with snark) you're gonna hurt some people's feelings, you may think that they're stupid for being this way, I dunno, but it's the way it works (as evidenced by the responses you've already been given).

I believe this to be the main reason why other people are respectful when speaking/typing. They want to appear sympathetic through not implying that something as trivial as their opinion, something they understand will differ from person to person, is more important than another's. So when you don't show this consideration you come off as...well, unsympathetic, and someone who won't let their opinion remain as just that.

Hopefully this makes sense to you, and if it doesn't, I suppose you're gonna keep doing what you've been doing. Just be sure that people will not change either so they're gonna keep fighting you over it, curse them all you want.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Looked like a typically Japanese, shitty anime design before.

Now he is a different, but equally shitty design. So meh?

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#97  Edited By Jothel

Why is everyone saying this is Japanese design? isn't Ninja Theory based in England?

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Contro

He still looks like an Emo who got abused / butt-raped. 
    Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Arebuckle

@ModerateViolence said:

@TheGreatGuero said:

Odd, I never really use that word either but he does look like a total douchebag.

Really? I was thinking complete twat, but that works too.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinigami420 said:

@skadave said:

HAHAHAHAHA not sure if troll

Enslaved and Heavenly Sword where mediocre andKung Fu Chaos was fucking shit

but hey not everyone can have good taste in games some like shit and some like quality and ninja theory aka Just Add Monsters Ltd is shit

The irony of this post is exquisite.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.