Dark Souls is a great game. Most gamers played it and were blown away by some of the unconventional situations that the game put players in, however, for Demon's Souls players, a lot of this stuff was old hat. I'm all for motifs, themes, callbacks, and homages, but I'm not a big fan of straight-up recycling scenarios.
With that said, here's a list of some shit I don't want to see in Dark Souls II.
1) A level consisting of precarious catwalks descending into a poisonous swamp. (Valley of Defilement; Blighttown)
2) A fight with a gargoyle during which another gargoyle joins in halfway through. (Maneater; Bell Gargoyles)
3) A room with endlessly respawning fetus enemies. (Maiden Atraea's pit; room before Nito fight)
4) A cutscene involving enemy gargoyles picking you up and thoughtfully carrying you to the next area. (transition between 3-1 & 3-2; transition between Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo)
5) An area with enemies that endlessly summon/resurrect other enemies. (Shrine of Storms's Reapers; The Catacomb's Necromancers)
6) Character you rescue despite obvious evil intentions, who then murders your useful NPCs. (Yurt, the Silent Chief; Knight Lautrec of Carim)
These things were all fun once, and cute twice, but I'm afraid all the charm would be wrung out of them on the third go around.
I'm all about being fair, so here's a couple things that I think should stick around in order to acknowledge the game's fine lineage.
1) A dragon guarding a bridge. (Red and Blue Dragons; Hellkite Dragon)
2) Patches kicking you into a pit, you dumb bastard. (4-2; Tomb of the Giants)
3) Crestfallen Warriors. (Crestfallen Warrior; Crestfallen Warrior)
4) NPCs who laugh with a sinister tone after speaking with you. (all the NPCs; all the NPCs)
5) Blobby Phalanx enemies because I think they're cool. (Hoplites/Phalanx; Phalanx)
6) Bird NPC you can trade with. (Sparkly the Crow; Snuggly the Crow)
7) Tiny animals you chase down and murder for crafting materials. (Crystal Lizards; Crystal Geckos)
Did I get something wrong? Is there a concept I want to discard that you hope is in every Dark Souls game ever? Do I want to keep something that you can't stand to ever see again? Are there any other Demon's/Dark Souls staples that I am forgetting? Feel free to chime in.