Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Void

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jan 15, 2010

Rocket out of the void and save a group of stranded humans from an alien force in Dark Void.

Lack of Multiplayer, Perhaps the Downfall?

Latentk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Latentk

Now I know this is far to early to proclaim, but hear me out. Dark Void looks amazing, and I can not wait to play this game. The story? About 10+ hours of awesome multi-dimensional combat. Here is my question though, as I am fairly sure single player will be incredible.

Will it survive in a world dominated by Multiplayer FPS and Adventure games? I personally will not be buying this game if they do not incorperate multiplayer. Thoughts?

Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Rorschach

Personally, I'll take a game with an excellent single player campaign over one with excellent multiplayer any day. Too often these days you end up with games like Halo 3 or COD4, where you have these incredibly short, though quality, campaigns, and a big multiplayer focus. I don't think that a game can ever have the same sort of effect on you, can't have the same epic feel when not in single player. I'm fine with no multiplayer in Dark Void, as long as the single player campaign stays tight and focused.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

Not every game needs multiplayer.  If you don't buy this game because it has no multiplayer, you'll miss out.  In the latest giant bomb video feature on this game, they confirmed that when you beat the game you will be able to play the game all over again with your jetpack and stuff from the start, so it sounds like there's going to be a lot of replayability.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Mercator

Multiplayer has nothing to do with my decision to buy a game. If its there great, but I much prefer a solid and entertaining single player.

if forced to choose I would take that over multiplayer in nearly all situations.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I don't understand the whole "it doesn't have multiplayer so I'm not buying it" mentality.  Games do not need multiplayer.  People were complaining that Bioshock didn't have multiplayer in it and it's not like that game suffered because of it.  I'd rather that games have a well thought out well made single player mode then devote resources to making a mode which people won't play.  Remember Ghost Recon's multiplayer mode?  Is anybody here going to argue that Army of Two or FEAR or Perfect Dark Zero were better games because of their online modes?

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By CreamyGoodness

i will buy the game no matter what, besides havent they already said theres multiplayer

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

All I need is a good single player. Not every game needs multiplayer - just look at Dead Space...

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By daz0608

I was a little disapointed when I heard it didn't have multi-player, but it's good to see a developer focusing on the singleplayer and not just shoehoring in a bog standard multiplayer just so it's another point to put on the back of the box

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By CreamyGoodness
    Daz0608 said:
    "I was a little disapointed when I heard it didn't have multi-player, but it's good to see a developer focusing on the singleplayer and not just shoehoring in a bog standard multiplayer just so it's another point to put on the back of the box"
    realy they said its just single player. i thought i heard jeff talking about how crazy it was in multiplayer with jetpacks and what not
    daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By daz0608
    CreamyGoodness said:
    "Daz0608 said:
    "I was a little disapointed when I heard it didn't have multi-player, but it's good to see a developer focusing on the singleplayer and not just shoehoring in a bog standard multiplayer just so it's another point to put on the back of the box"
    realy they said its just single player. i thought i heard jeff talking about how crazy it was in multiplayer with jetpacks and what not"
    Yea, i'm pretty sure that's what they said at E3, I haven't heard any differently and they were pretty adament that they were going focus on the singleplayer
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

When I look at this game I cannot help but wonder how awesome a MP game could be. I can easily imagine tens of players huddled onto huge structures using cover and popping peeps off. 

"All I need is a good single player. Not every game needs multiplayer - just look at Dead Space..."

This is certainly no Dead Space. The basic gameplay mechanics unlike that game are conducive to a great MP game. I would hate to see this, a Capcom game follow suit with no MP, It will be a huge missed opportunity if they do.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

Games like Bioshock and Mass Effect did fine.  Bioshock wasn't that long at all. If Dark Void doesn't get some press though and remains kinda unknown, it may not do too well. But trust me, a game doesn't need multiplayer just to be successful, games that it isn't made for are better to have it not there, than have it just tact on and be shitty and unbalanced , and totally not worth playing.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Discorsi

I hope it doesn't fail commercially due to a lack of multiplayer.  There are so many great fps multiplayers out there already.  I mean it's not like you would abandon COD4, Gears 2, KZ2, H3, etc for this (multi). : /

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kohe321

If the singleplayer is good enough, it doesn't need multiplayer... I feel multiplayer is just thrown on a lot of games that doesn't really need it, just because it's the "norm" that all games should have it... And often it sucks.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By toowalrus

I did not purchase Bioshock because the single player is not worth $60. I gamefly'd though, it was a great game. I'll probably do the same with dark void.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.