comiczer0's Darksiders (Xbox 360) review

Review: Darksiders

I rented the game via GameFly, got it in the mail on the seventh of January. I tried to like it, I really did. However, after blasting through the awesomeness that was Bayonetta, I couldn't bring myself to enjoy Darksiders on the same level. I know the games are very different, but story-wise when you compare them, Darksiders pales in comparison.

Here's where I think the problem lies for me: Bayonetta had a ridiculous, over the top storyline and characters and was completely aware of that fact and went out of it's way to celebrate it and make fun of itself. Darksiders also had a ridiculous, over the top storyline and characters, but it takes itself WAY too seriously. Almost laughably so. Every character has either an obscenely deep, gravelly voice or an obscenely raspy, annoying one. I shook my head many times at how downright dumb some of the dialogue was. Oh, and the story is crap (apocalypse started early...oops, our bad).

Also, the combat is WEAK. Mash X a bunch, throw in some Y's here and there, press B for one of two finishing moves, rinse and repeat. Sure there are varying combos, but for fuck's sake have some creativity. Combat is a big part of the game and it is repetitive as all hell. The platforming is pretty basic as well and not very challenging. I really don't see why this game got so many high scores. I guess when you throw in Zelda in a list of comparisons, mediocrity can be overlooked. Not so, in my book. Maybe it's because I'm not a Zelda fan to begin with, so I guess I'm just not cut out for these kinds of games.