Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 03, 2013

Upgraded release of Dead or Alive 5, including: DOA5+ feature integration, more characters, stages, costumes and BGM customization options.

In baffling news DOA5 Ultimate to get FREE to play version.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

So this is a thing. From the article on Shoryuken:

During a recent interview with Famitsu, Team Ninja head Yosuke Hayashi revealed that Tecmo Koei is planning to offer a free-to-play version of their upcoming Ultimate expansion to Dead or Alive 5. Kasumi, Ayane, Hayate, and Hayabusa will be completely free of charge from the get-go, along with online play. All single-player modes (besides the story) and non-DLC outfits and stages will also be included, and free users will be able to play online with those who purchased the full game.

Additional characters will be priced at ¥400 (~$3.98 USD) and the story mode will be available to purchase for ¥1500 (~$14.93 USD). It was also announced that save files and downloadable content from vanilla Dead or Alive 5 will carry over to Ultimate. At this point in time, only a Japanese release for this free-to-play version has been announced, but we’ll be sure to let you know when news regarding other regions becomes available.

For now, feel free to let us know what you think of this offer. There has been a bit of discussion recently regarding fighting games possibly making the transition to free-to-play, and this is one of the first instances we’ve seen of an established company going that route with a well-known title. If this should reach your country, will you be interested in trying it out?

Source: Famitsu via NeoGAF

So I'm kind of torn about this on one hand this model seems kind of cool because you could potentially ignore characters you don't give a fuck about. On the other hand if you wanted everything you'll be paying an upwards of $110 that isn't counting the costume DLC of which there is PLENTY in DOA5. Still, interesting to see this F2P model invading other spaces in the game world besides MMO's and MOBA's

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Hunter5024

What I find interesting about this is the separate purchase of different modes. It's like I'm one step closer to being able to buy a game cheaper without the multiplayer, except they went the wrong way.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think fighting games are great for a F2P model. You just buy the stuff you actually want to use. Car or racing games could be another great F2P model. Like the GT5 rumor we had a while a go with a very cheap basic model for like 20$ and then you can buy cars you actually want to use.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

What I find interesting about this is the separate purchase of different modes. It's like I'm one step closer to being able to buy a game cheaper without the multiplayer, except they went the wrong way.

Free to play DOA5 pricing seems geared toward those that are absolutely sure that they don't have interest in the full package.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Surprised they made some of the most popular characters free.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Jann lee gonna be free? If so i'm good.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sounds pretty interesting. I guess everyone is going to get really good at the Kasumi, Ayane, Hayate, and Hayabusa matchups :\

But if the free version includes local and online versus and training mode, that's all I'd ever need. If I got all that for free, I can definitely see myself buying a few extra characters. Let's hope this does see a release outside of Japan, if not just because it will set an interesting precedent.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sooty

IAP TITS

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Darji

update from neogaf

No Caption Provided

-Ein is based on DOA2 but have new moves. Users from DOA2 will not have any problem using him from the beginning.

-Jacky and Momiji are both made to be easy to use.

-with free version, you will be able to fight against all the characters

-they are planning promotions where they will have a certain character unlock for free for few days for people to try out. If they like that character, they can go buy that character.

-the full package user will not be able to tell if you are playing from free version.

-there is no limitations for free version like "you can play XX number of games per day." sort of thing.

-the free version is for PS3 only at this moment. They are working hard to get it on Xbox360 as well, but they cannot promise it will come.

sounds pretty good

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

IAP TITS

I know mentioning tits in a thread about DOA is sort of the funny thing to do, but honestly DO5 was barely worse than the average game in this department.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By musubi

@immortalsaiyan: Basically the Ninja's are free. Hayabusa, Hayate, Ayane, Kasumi. Although this pricing model hasn't been confirmed for any other territories yet outside of japan and if you're getting it on 360 like you did last time it might not even be an option because... hey microsoft.

Although sounds like a full retail release is still happening.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Immortal_Guy

It's a bit of a strange offer, since moreso than other genres fighting games seem to fall in price and end up in bargain bins really quickly (in my experience). If you bought the story mode and a few characters, you'd easily be paying what you'd pay for for the whole game in a few months after release.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point, "free" is the only price I would pay for another DoA game. Unless the radically change the core to do something else I do not believe that charging $60 for the game is going to work out well.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I think that DOA2 was the last one I played, but Ayane and Hayate were my team, so the character choice seems designed to get me to give it a go...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The free-to-play craze is going to be the dark age of videogames

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By BBAlpert

@darji said:

I think fighting games are great for a F2P model. You just buy the stuff you actually want to use. Car or racing games could be another great F2P model. Like the GT5 rumor we had a while a go with a very cheap basic model for like 20$ and then you can buy cars you actually want to use.

I feel like this would only work out well for the consumer if the base price and additional purchase costs are scaled so that you'll end up with roughly a "full" game's worth of content for about "full" price. Otherwise, you end up with something like the iOS (and Android?) version of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy that cost like $140 to get everything included in the $40 3DS version. And that's some hot bullshit, right there.

*edit: Evidently, I was off on my figures for Theatrhythm, but not by enough to change the point I was making. The base 3DS game was $30, and came with all the characters and 76 songs. If you bought all the eShop songs at 99 cents apiece, your total would be around $82 for 128 songs and all the characters. The iOS version is free, with 2 songs included, but additional characters and songs bring the total cost up to $143.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EXTomar

@rafaelfc said:

Would it be better if they continued to fool themselves into believing they can be viable selling this at $60? That seems like a dark future for them as well.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

@rafaelfc said:

Would it be better if they continued to fool themselves into believing they can be viable selling this at $60? That seems like a dark future for them as well.

Yes they do. F2P is another option and will not replace the full retail version and I hope we will see more of this model next gen. A "Premium 60$ version and a f2P version.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert said:

@darji said:

I feel like this would only work out well for the consumer if the base price and additional purchase costs are scaled so that you'll end up with roughly a "full" game's worth of content for about "full" price. Otherwise, you end up with something like the iOS (and Android?) version of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy that cost like $140 to get everything included in the $40 3DS version. And that's some hot bullshit, right there.

If you already know that you will buy everything you can buy the 60$ version inn the first place. If you are actually stupid enough to pay more in the end than the 60$ it is your own fault for not buying the 60$ Version.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@bbalpert said:

@darji said:

If you already know that you will buy everything you can buy the 60$ version inn the first place. If you are actually stupid enough to pay more in the end than the 60$ it is your own fault for not buying the 60$ Version.

The concern isn't that people are going to be dumb and not buy the full version up front, it's that at some point there may not BE a full version to buy. So if you wanted to play everything, your only choice would be to get each element piece by piece.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Sounds like a very cool idea, but I'd rather just pay my $60 up front and get the entire game. I only play like maybe 3-4 characters out of the entire cast, but I like having the ability to choose whoever of whatever mode I want if the mood strikes.

Still, I like this move. It may not be aimed towards me, but I like it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Darji

@bbalpert said:

@darji said:

@bbalpert said:

@darji said:

The concern isn't that people are going to be dumb and not buy the full version up front, it's that at some point there may not BE a full version to buy. So if you wanted to play everything, your only choice would be to get each element piece by piece.

That will not happening. Don't worry about that.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rafaelfc

@extomar said:

@rafaelfc said:

The problem with free-to-play is that it actually incentivizes the publisher to spend less money on production and maximize profits on microtransactions, which in turn lends itself to incomplete, poorly designed games.

There can be good free to play models, sure, but the format is too easily exploitable to trust big companies to not abuse it.

I'd rather pay $60 and get a feature complete game (or at the very least, a game that will not try and squeeze money off me every other screen).

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BBAlpert

@darji said:

@bbalpert said:

@darji said:

@bbalpert said:

@darji said:

That will not happening. Dont't worry about that.

I realize that these may be edge-cases, but what about things like Marvel Heroes, Final Fantasy: All The Bravest, the Train Simulator games, and (to a certain extent) League of Legends?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Darji

@bbalpert said:

@darji said:

@bbalpert said:

@darji said:

@bbalpert said:

@darji said:

That will not happening. Dont't worry about that.

I realize that these may be edge-cases, but what about things like Marvel Heroes, Final Fantasy: All The Bravest, the Train Simulator games, and (to a certain extent) League of Legends?

These are purely F2P games except for train simulator but this game is insane. We are talking here about "normal" games which could be in the future offering a Premium Version for 60$ and a F2P model like DOA5 does.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

It is an interesting idea but its like Tetris, if you allow a demo of Tetris nobody would buy the full game. Players would learn the free characters and will probably not buy any other characters. Even though the story was crazy, the real interest would be in the online play and again nobody would buy it.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It is an interesting idea but its like Tetris, if you allow a demo of Tetris nobody would buy the full game. Players would learn the free characters and will probably not buy any other characters. Even though the story was crazy, the real interest would be in the online play and again nobody would buy it.

I don't know about that.

The designers would have to have full confidence in their designs, but I would TOTALLY buy new characters/levels/modes/costumes for my favorite fighting games. They just have to be cool enough. In fact, I think I would be more likely to purchase those than any other type of game content. I CERTAINLY would be more likely to buy a new level of character than I would something in WOW or Diablo or something like that...

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wwfundertaker said:

I don't know about that.

The designers would have to have full confidence in their designs, but I would TOTALLY buy new characters/levels/modes/costumes for my favorite fighting games. They just have to be cool enough. In fact, I think I would be more likely to purchase those than any other type of game content. I CERTAINLY would be more likely to buy a new level of character than I would something in WOW or Diablo or something like that...

Yeah Also I think it is a great idea that they offer some free day or maybe weekends to try new characters and if you want to keep them you can buy them. This is F2P done right.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: That note about the new comers being easy to use is a slippery slope. DOA is a rather accessible game as it is, if they make the character really strong and easy to use they may flood the metagame.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By musubi

@extomar said:

@rafaelfc said:

Yeah, I think they COULD sell it for $60 although I think a much more market viable price for this would be $40. Judging by your earlier post DOA games have little to no value to you anyways. To the fan base this update is easily worth it especially considering saves and DLC is cross compatible. I think the Free 2 Play model is aimed more at people like yourself who want little to no monetary investment wrapped up in a DOA game but might casually want to play a little bit if given a free pass.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EXTomar

I do agree with that. To me, fighting games no longer feel like they have enough content to justify $60 + DLC price tags. I'm definitely amenable to $20 or even $40 for the basic game with "core characters" and a basic campaign. That also justifies the "value add" of any "collector super edition" with all characters + future DLC versions.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Solh0und

Has anyone here actually bought all of the additional costumes?

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By damswedon

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

Free to play DOA5 pricing seems geared toward those that are absolutely sure that they don't have interest in the full package.

AKA the fuck Brad Wong and Jann Lee package.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

So it's FREE to play, but is it free to PLAY? That's the important question.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SuperWristBands

This is actually really cool since my friends will never actually buy a fighting game but just maybe I can convince them to download the free version and play some games with me.

I'll be buying the full version, even though I could probably save money by just buying just what I want (don't care much for the story mode and I'm only interested in a few characters, though none of which come in the free version)

All of this, is of course assuming there will be an English release of the f2p version.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.