Dead Rising 2: Case Zero Out Next Month For $5

• 115 results
Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

Well, this is a welcome surprise. Today, at the Dead Rising 2 panel at Comic-Con, Capcom Executive Producer Keiji Inafune revealed that Dead Rising 2: Case Zero--the downloadable prequel to the upcoming Dead Rising 2-- would be released on August 31 for the low price of 400 Microsoft Points ($5.00).

At these prices, you can't afford NOT to hit that guy with a huge hammer!

That's... way lower than I was anticipating paying for this thing. After seeing Case Zero at E3 this year, Ryan said he expected to pay $15 for the game, but actively considered that Capcom might try and sell it for as much as $20, given that the game uses the same tech and graphics engine as the proper Dead Rising 2. But, according to Kotaku's coverage of the Dead Rising panel at the panel, Capcom isn't trying to recoup development costs on Case Zero. 

"We're not making any money on this," Inafune said during today's Comic-Con panel for the game. "I went against the company's wishes and went for the 400 MSP price point."

Like Bionic Commando Rearmed before it, Capcom is using Dead Rising 2: Case Zero as a way to offer game players a low-cost game that might help to stoke interest in the proper retail product. But by only charging five bucks for its downloadable game (I'm no money-man, but that's the kind of pricing I would call "aggressive"), Capcom seems like it's willing to do whatever they can to introduce players to the world of Dead Rising by any means necessary. Regardless of the reasoning motivating the price, $5.00 seems like a steal for Case Zero, and it just became a lot easier to become a willing participant in Capcom's marketing plan.
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

Well, this is a welcome surprise. Today, at the Dead Rising 2 panel at Comic-Con, Capcom Executive Producer Keiji Inafune revealed that Dead Rising 2: Case Zero--the downloadable prequel to the upcoming Dead Rising 2-- would be released on August 31 for the low price of 400 Microsoft Points ($5.00).

At these prices, you can't afford NOT to hit that guy with a huge hammer!

That's... way lower than I was anticipating paying for this thing. After seeing Case Zero at E3 this year, Ryan said he expected to pay $15 for the game, but actively considered that Capcom might try and sell it for as much as $20, given that the game uses the same tech and graphics engine as the proper Dead Rising 2. But, according to Kotaku's coverage of the Dead Rising panel at the panel, Capcom isn't trying to recoup development costs on Case Zero. 

"We're not making any money on this," Inafune said during today's Comic-Con panel for the game. "I went against the company's wishes and went for the 400 MSP price point."

Like Bionic Commando Rearmed before it, Capcom is using Dead Rising 2: Case Zero as a way to offer game players a low-cost game that might help to stoke interest in the proper retail product. But by only charging five bucks for its downloadable game (I'm no money-man, but that's the kind of pricing I would call "aggressive"), Capcom seems like it's willing to do whatever they can to introduce players to the world of Dead Rising by any means necessary. Regardless of the reasoning motivating the price, $5.00 seems like a steal for Case Zero, and it just became a lot easier to become a willing participant in Capcom's marketing plan.
#2 Posted by Berezov (504 posts) -

That's awesome

#3 Posted by HebrewSanta (49 posts) -

Really?

#4 Posted by DevWil (842 posts) -

damn you matt kessler!  breaking the news all proper-like! 

posted a thread before i saw this. 

either it's going to be a disappointingly small game or capcom understands that the point of it is to promote DR2.  it seems like the latter, thankfully.

#5 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -
@HebrewSanta said:
" Really? "
No, its a joke. Its actually $40!
#6 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

$5? Well done, Capcom. Now, let's just hope it's good.

#7 Posted by Callumrides (357 posts) -

BangiN!!!

#8 Posted by gosukiller (2325 posts) -

Seems like a very fair price, but yet another 'bullshit exclusive' that I won't be playing. Good thing the full game is coming to the PS3 

#9 Posted by slowbird (1757 posts) -

I really like this move.  If they're lucky, it will spur lots of people to buy it who otherwise wouldn't, and then those people will buy DR2 proper.  I might even be one of them.

#10 Posted by Newjack (232 posts) -
@Berezov said:
" That's awesome "
#11 Edited by dexterslu (290 posts) -

I feel like Capcom totally gets it, why nickel and dime me on something that might make me sower about your product? yo, if this game isn't great - it's only 5 bucks plus I might even still pick up the finished product because in the end - this is just some off shoot and once again its...5 bucks.

#12 Posted by FrostyHerpiez (95 posts) -

5$!?!?!?!?!? fuckin great

#13 Posted by WilliamHenry (1217 posts) -
@gosukiller said:
" Seems like a very fair price, but yet another 'bullshit exclusive' that I won't be playing. Good thing the full game is coming to the PS3  "

Bullshit exclusive? What exactly is that?
#14 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Thank you Capcom.

#15 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Holy shit, that's awesome. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it would come out on PSN like it should.

#16 Posted by PJ (1158 posts) -

I'm humping Inafune's leg right now whit 5bucks in my mouth

#17 Posted by megalowho (978 posts) -

Now this is an awesome price for a downloadable snack. Instant buy, thanks Capcom.

#18 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I still see this as a paid demo. I mean if Dead Rising 2 takes up 4 gigs and this thing is 2, that is something to look at.

#19 Posted by Donos (1197 posts) -
I don't see myself buying the full game under any circumstances, as I already have enough games lined up for the forseeable future. But $5 for a few hours of stupid fun should fit in nicely.
#20 Posted by jakob187 (21758 posts) -

FIVE BONES?  THAT'S IT?! 

Man, who WOULDN'T buy it!

#21 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -
@gosukiller said:
" Seems like a very fair price, but yet another 'bullshit exclusive' that I won't be playing. Good thing the full game is coming to the PS3  "
I don't blame them for not releasing it on the PS3. This is sort of an experiment. They're testing the waters with a paid chunk of pre-release content which hasn't really been done before. The Xbox 360 has an audience familiar with the series, a larger install base, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the lead platform since the first game was an exclusive. Releasing it for the PS3 might be too risky in the eyes of the people at Capcom. I don't think this is the same sort of decision that spurred the GTA IV DLC exclusivity, but who knows.
#22 Posted by TheYear20XX (426 posts) -
@DivineCC said:
" @gosukiller said:
Bullshit exclusive? What exactly is that? "
Probably referring to the fact that Case Zero is 360 exclusive.
#23 Posted by DiscoDuck8k (499 posts) -

Great news. I was expecting this would probably be priced 800-1200 points, but wow.

Now I can get Limbo and have enough left over for Case Zero.

#24 Posted by Lumley (964 posts) -

WOW. 
How can anybody not get it for only 400MP! 

#25 Posted by Skillface (566 posts) -

100% Getting it now. Well Played Capcom.

#26 Posted by wrecks (2318 posts) -

SOLD!

#27 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -

That's great news. I was one of those people expecting this to cost far more.

#28 Posted by Kear (109 posts) -

Sold
#29 Posted by Xealot42 (283 posts) -

Too bad it isn't on Steam.  I'm planning to pick up the PC version of DR2.

#30 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

Any chance I'll 'get my fill' by playing this game though?

#31 Posted by Deathpooky (1443 posts) -

Wow, unexpected and great.  I imagine the 360-exclusiveness of it may have helped recoup some of that cost as well.  It's basically a way to lock everyone into both buying DR2 and buying the 360 version, so most likely both sides are taking a loss on it hoping its worth it come DR2 release time.

#32 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1832 posts) -

$5 sounds like a great deal. Regardless of the little interest that I have in DR2, I will most likely buy this.

#33 Posted by VaultDweller (46 posts) -

I hope there is enough content so that it doesn't seem like I'm paying for a demo.

#34 Posted by ALMIGHTYCHEEKS (71 posts) -

those bitching about it as a paid demo dont realize that you can play some of it for free but to get the full experience you pay the 5 bones. quit complaining

#35 Posted by Rasgueado (719 posts) -

sounds good to me. Glad they decided not to make it more expensive... smart move.

#36 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1657 posts) -

YES! amazing move on everyone's part.

#37 Posted by A_Wet_Shamwow (224 posts) -

im getting it now

#38 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3715 posts) -

Wow. I was really expecting this to be 10 bucks, but Capcom always has been full of pleasant surprises. I hope this sets the standard price for downloadable prequels.

#39 Posted by patrick (563 posts) -

Beautiful.

#40 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3504 posts) -

FIVE!?! 

Those Capcom folk are smarter than I thought. I have a feeling this will sell very well.

#41 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

Wow, did not expect that, nice work Inafune, I wasn't considering on getting this but I sure do want it now

#42 Edited by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

Good on CC for breaking it in gently. I'm sure they are trying to cement some early buzz and good reviews just as before. But sadly it didn't work for BC or Dark Void, so ultimately they know DR2 will have to stand on its own.  Hearing that Inafune would say he went against company wishes makes me chuckle. Pretty sure that's not how it works behind closed doors, especially in Japan.

@DivineCC said:

"Bullshit exclusive? What exactly is that? "

Spite, mostly.
As for whose, that's open to debate. :)
#43 Posted by Waffles13 (611 posts) -

Everyone hopes Kinect will be $99, and it's $149.

Everyone hopes Case Zero is $15, and it's $5.

I love you Microsoft, but you could learn a thing or two from Capcom.

#44 Posted by joachimo (200 posts) -

Get ready to recive some business zombies!

#45 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1390 posts) -

I was buying this regardless of price, but this is fucking fantastic news. Though I wonder how many people will buy case zero and just leave it at that?

#46 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

Absolutely amazing pricing structure. It's best for them to price these products low to were everyone buys it. These DLC-prequel games aren't where they money is, but it's in the full-retail box that they're trying to sell. Putting this up at $20 only sells to the people that are already buying Dead Rising 2, and wont bring in new customers.

#47 Posted by Crono (2707 posts) -
@WalkerTR77 said:
" I was buying this regardless of price, but this is fucking fantastic news. Though I wonder how many people will buy case zero and just leave it at that? "
I'm 1 of them.  I am not very interested in this game, but at $5 I can certainly check out this mini-episode.
#48 Posted by foggel (2764 posts) -

Sold.

#49 Posted by IncredibleBulk92 (936 posts) -

400 points? Hell yes I'll buy this.  It would be a crime not to.  Don't know if I'll buy the full game yet but sure, first hit is free right?

#50 Posted by Chris2KLee (2338 posts) -

Wow, way cheaper than I was expecting, they have my money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.