Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

So Hardcore mode seems pretty much impossible.

• 90 results
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By Slaker117

Been lurking around other gaming forums and people are pretty much just saying you have to know what's coming and keep at it. No real tricks, just perseverance.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @big_jon said:
    " @amir90 said:
    "@big_jon:  I have, dozens of people on achievement forums says the enemies are not as tough. edit: here is a random tip though, but it only works on the 360 version of the game.  Let us say you save on chapter 4/5, then when you need to switch disks for chapter 7-15, if you die on chapter 8, it will be contined form chapter 7, not the last one! Though, there is catch to this: You must not turn your 360 off, lol.  Might be a good advice idk, like saving on chapter, 6, 10 and right before finale boss. "
    I died at the train part today while up side down. I was mad. "
    lmao. I died there like 8 times on Zealot. It was what made me say: "eff you hardcore!".
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By handlas
    @Slaker117 said:
    " Been lurking around other gaming forums and people are pretty much just saying you have to know what's coming and keep at it. No real tricks, just perseverance. "
    that's never the problem in my case.  The problem is there are rooms that throw soooo many enemies at you that you inevitably get overrun.  That's got to be the thing I dislike about Dead Space 2...there were a couple of instances in Dead Space 1 where this happened but it happens far too often in this game.  You get locked into a room and it throws 4 enemies at you, kill them, and they get replaced by 4 more enemies.  It keeps doing that over and over....sometimes to a shocking extent.  I huddle into a corner and just sit there waiting for more enemies to spawn.

Some of you are saying that Hardcore has enemies that are like from Normal difficulty and not Zealot?  Seems odd to decrease enemy difficulty.  I know in Zealot there are numerous enemies that killed me in 1 hit but I waited to upgrade my RIG until I fully upgraded my plasma cutter.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Slaker117
    @handlas:  I'm almost completely positive that the devs conformed that hardcore was the same as zealot.

Also, what I said stands. There aren't any tricks to it, you just keep on bashing your head against it until you get through.
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#56  Edited By XenoNick

I'll totally give it a go. It's an intresting challange.

KyleBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By KyleBaron

How about: 
    -Pump nodes into Stasis early on 
    -Only use 2-3 weapons in order to maximise ammo drops/ammo for the shit you actually use 
    ^Those things worked for me in DS1's impossible mode, and made it a huuuge breeze. For DS1, all I used was shitloads of stasis, the plasma cutter, and the force gun. 

For DS2's impossible, I'm thinking maybe just the plasma cutter, force gun, and detonator. 

I know I'm giving advice without any prior hardcore experience, but I'd imagine that those previous tested strategies of mine will work against DS2's enemies which, so far, have the same damn tactic of just bullrushing me like idiots.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Slaker117

Ok, this is totally worth it.   

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Azteck
    @big_jon: Why are you so rude to everyone who dares make a joke? Learn to have some fun.
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#60  Edited By jimi
    @big_jon: You just bad son
    mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By mshaw006
    @Azteck said:
    " @big_jon: Why are you so rude to everyone who dares make a joke? Learn to have some fun. "
    I would contend that those "jokes" are neither funny nor fun. Not only that, there are about five of the same one in the 60 posts in this thread.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#62  Edited By big_jon
    @mshaw006 said:
    " @Azteck said:
    " @big_jon: Why are you so rude to everyone who dares make a joke? Learn to have some fun. "
    I would contend that those "jokes" are neither funny nor fun. Not only that, there are about five of the same one in the 60 posts in this thread. "
    This was pretty much how I felt. Coming in and saying that I am bad because I am having trouble with Hardcore doesn't seem like a very friendly joke to me.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By big_jon

I just made it to the end of chapter 4 and saved just before the stalkers.

I have to say, I did not know how good the mine layer was, that is going to make this a lot easier.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Edwardryu

I don't think so. when you play high level, you must do every upgrade possible so that you can take advantage of it. then you could survive, and finish game even though you can only save three times and less health preservation whatever. why not? I think especially, full rig & stasis upgrade is must-do along with one major weapon. I suggest that you must upgrade full one main weapon. it's very different when you do or don't. it actually affect on the game. I  did fully upgrade for plasma cutter, pulse rifle. very good so far even I didn't play hardcore level yet. if you have only few choices for armors, you should go with advanced suit. that gives you lots of advantage. now, I wear 'riot suit'. it seems OK, though. 

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By big_jon
    @Edwardryu said:
    " I don't think so. when you play high level, you must do every upgrade possible so that you can take advantage of it. then you could survive, and finish game even though you can only save three times and less health preservation whatever. why not? I think especially, full rig & stasis upgrade is must-do along with one major weapon. I suggest that you must upgrade full one main weapon. it's very different when you do or don't. it actually affect on the game. I  did fully upgrade for plasma cutter, pulse rifle. very good so far even I didn't play hardcore level yet. if you have only few choices for armors, you should go with advanced suit. that gives you lots of advantage. now, I wear 'riot suit'. it seems OK, though.  "
    You have to start clean,
    kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By kerse
    @AURON570 said:
    " I was thinking that you could just pause the game whenever you wanted to take a break. But I remembered bringing up the menu doesn't pause the action. In the game do the monsters just keep spawning if you wait around too long? Also I was thinking about how long the game is to do it with just 3 saves, would be interesting to see if any "speed runs/guides" come up in the future. "
    the game does pause if you press start
    Capone760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Capone760

Ive been grinding this out for a few hours today. Lets just say im getting realllllly good at chapter 1... Can anyone confirm or deny the DLC armor packs being used in hardcore mode? Dont really want to waste the money if theyre for modes ive already beaten ya know ;) Thanks

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By big_jon

Alright people here's an update.

I have made it to chapter 10 and I have one save remaining, it is looking good for me. I have to say that though it seemed impossible before getting this far, I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

mm665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By mm665

Pro tip: Don't die.

Capone760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Capone760

Coasted through to chapter 3 pretty easy. Then the freaky kids came running out and i got stuck running away.  Overwhelmed... dead... restart.... Im getting tired of this opening video...  

Also still wondering if anyone can say for sure if the DLC armor packs are usable in Hardcore mode?  

pewpew

Zaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Zaft

I made an account just to answer some of the questions here.

First off, the game saves at Chapter 7 if you're playing Xbox. Therefore, Xbox users get 4 saves.

Second, DLC packs are usable in Hardcore mode.

Third, I just got the Hard to the Core achievement. Gamertag Zaftx91 , so it's definitely not impossible. I used only my plasma cutter, and saved on chapters 10, 13 and 14.

If you have more questions, just post here.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By big_jon
    @Zaft: 
    I am worried about the drill ride and wondering if the force gun will help with the end boss.

I am using the Plasma cutter, Pulse rifle, Mine layer, and the contact beam so far. I am on chapter ten with one save remaining which I plan to use before the eye poke.
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TomA

Ya you have too much time on your hands

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By big_jon
    @TomA said:
    " Ya you have too much time on your hands "
    Coming from a guy with 1500 posts?
    mm665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mm665
    @big_jon said:
    " @TomA said:
    Coming from a guy with 1500 posts? "
    ZINGER!
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#76  Edited By the_hiro_abides
    @mm665 said:
    " @big_jon said:
    " @TomA said:
    Coming from a guy with 1500 posts? "
    ZINGER! "
    Burn!
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By the_hiro_abides
    @kerse said:
    " @AURON570 said:
    " I was thinking that you could just pause the game whenever you wanted to take a break. But I remembered bringing up the menu doesn't pause the action. In the game do the monsters just keep spawning if you wait around too long? Also I was thinking about how long the game is to do it with just 3 saves, would be interesting to see if any "speed runs/guides" come up in the future. "
    the game does pause if you press start "
    Yeah, it's only when you look at your inventory, buying from the store, or upgrading at the bench that doesn't pause the action.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

If I beat this on hardcore I better get Dead Space 3 for free.

Zaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Zaft
    @big_jon said:
    " @Zaft:  I am worried about the drill ride and wondering if the force gun will help with the end boss.   I am using the Plasma cutter, Pulse rifle, Mine layer, and the contact beam so far. I am on chapter ten with one save remaining which I plan to use before the eye poke. "
    The drill ride isn't too bad. None of the necromorphs that jump up are elite versions, so they all do low damage if they manage to hit you. Just stand in the middle and be wary of your surroundings, and kill the Pukers first, and simply run around like an idiot once the Lurkers appear and start shooting at you.  Since you have the Detonator, you can also kill the Lurkers if you want, since one shot will do the trick. I was just using the Plasma Cutter, so I just tried to dodge them.

The Force Gun is fantastic on the final boss, but not essential. Once you shoot Nicole enough times, the swarm shades will all die. Nevertheless, the Force Gun is a very big help for that fight.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By big_jon
    @Zaft said:
    " @big_jon said:
    " @Zaft:  I am worried about the drill ride and wondering if the force gun will help with the end boss.   I am using the Plasma cutter, Pulse rifle, Mine layer, and the contact beam so far. I am on chapter ten with one save remaining which I plan to use before the eye poke. "
    The drill ride isn't too bad. None of the necromorphs that jump up are elite versions, so they all do low damage if they manage to hit you. Just stand in the middle and be wary of your surroundings, and kill the Pukers first, and simply run around like an idiot once the Lurkers appear and start shooting at you.  Since you have the Detonator, you can also kill the Lurkers if you want, since one shot will do the trick. I was just using the Plasma Cutter, so I just tried to dodge them. The Force Gun is fantastic on the final boss, but not essential. Once you shoot Nicole enough times, the swarm shades will all die. Nevertheless, the Force Gun is a very big help for that fight. "
    I was figuring that ignoring the lurkers would be best because if you lose track of the enemies on the drill that is far worse. I have to say that I can't even imagine how hard this would be with just the plasma cutter, you my friend are truly hard to the core.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#81  Edited By emem
    @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    " If I beat this on hardcore I better get Dead Space 3 for free. "
    I'm still waiting for a game that gives you an addon or the next part for free when you get an almost impossible achievement, but I guess that will never happen.. so no need for me to get annoying achievements at all, it's just a waste of time.
    Avatar image for Unannounced_Fart
    Omelet_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Omelet_Pants
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#83  Edited By Seppli

I'm kinda unclear about the hardcore ruleset.

What happens, when I die? Respawn at beginning of chapter or at last save?

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By mwng
    @Seppli: Last save, forces you to load the game.

I just finished my run, damn eye machine cost me an hour :(
    Omelet_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Omelet_Pants
    @Seppli said:
    " I'm kinda unclear about the hardcore ruleset.  What happens, when I die? Respawn at beginning of chapter or at last save? "
    There are no checkpoints.  When you die, you start at your last save point.  And you're only allowed to save a total of 3 times the entire game.
    Omelet_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Omelet_Pants
    @mwng said:
    " @Seppli: Last save, forces you to load the game.  I just finished my run, damn eye machine cost me an hour :( "
    Do you remember where you made your 3 saves?
    mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By mwng
    @Omelet_Pants: First one was just after the church bit, just before you have a bunch of QTEs with the big dude who knocks you into space. (Didn't fancy my chances of getting all that right first time).

Second one was probably a bit of a mistake, but the first time you meet up with Ellie and Nolan after the processing plant. (Dunno why I picked here, as it's hoooours away from the Ishimura and you still have to do the godawful drill ride after).

Final save was just after the the drill ride. (Died once to the eye thing, had to spend an hour going through that awful red room bit again).

Main places I came a little unstuck (in story order) though were:
    • Laundry room
    • Upside down train bit
    • Bottom floor of habitation (3 fat duders and 6 fast tail duders)
    • The church bit
    • The second raptor type duder encounter
    • The part with the canisters and tentacles
    • The first hallway of the Ishimura
    • The decontamination room
    • The bridge of the Ishimura
    • Most of the mine section (especially the lift ride)
    • The drill ride
    • Just outside government sector
    • EVERYTHING after government sector (most notably the 3 red rooms and the gauntlet at the end)

Edit: Had I known how I'd do, I'd have saved (if you're feeling brave) once after the Ishimura, once after the Drill ride and once just before the gauntlet (or after if you have trouble with the last boss). I had very little health or ammo left but I did have enough to buy the advanced suit, which helps a lot with extra armor and slots, went straight from the first suit to this.
    Omelet_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Omelet_Pants

Thanks for posting that.  I heard that if you're playing the 360 version, you won't have to load prior to the scene where you change discs.  Which means that's kind of like a free save point. 

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#89  Edited By Chemin

I. Hate. This. Mode. With a goddamn passion. Zealot is nothing compared to this. Nothing. It doesn't matter if it's not really harder than Survivalist or Zealot as far as ammo or enemies are concerned. But since you are forced to play a clean game, without checkpoints and practically no saves, it makes this by far one of the most tedious and aggravating difficulty settings I have ever played, in any game. It is truly a hard core experience, and I will probably NEVER be able to bash my head against the wall enough to complete it. Losing 3-5 hours of progress everytime you die works like acid on your willpower. And since you can't skip cinematics, conversations or the like, it really makes for an annoying experience to endure, over and over again.

Props to everyone strong enough to make it through tho'.

blake_brown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90  Edited By blake_brown

@big_jon 

I'm not sure what guns and suits and such that you are using.  From what I did, and what others have done, it seems the best thing to do is concentrating on maxing out your RIG and Stasis, then focus on maxing out the Plasma Cutter.  I also got pretty close to maxing out everything but the Alt-fire for the Pulse Rifle.  The Pulse Rifle is good in certain situations, namely the final boss, and the run up to the final boss (the toughest part in the game IMO).  Also important is where you save, obviously.  I saved at Chapters 5, 10, 13.  If you're playing on 360 of course you get the unofficial 4th save at the disc swap.  Good luck to you!  

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#91  Edited By Shadow

My PS3 version of the game is coming in a few days and I have every intention of beating the game on hardcore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.