Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

Dead Space games were too scary, which is why DS3 has co-op (EA)

• 138 results
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Geno

Dead Space was scary? I have almost no tolerance for horror games and I didn't even find it scary. 

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By tsiro

@SeriouslyNow: If you would please let me know where I can read about the AI buddy being persistant throughout the entire single player experience, please let me know, because I haven't seen any (reputable) sources talking about that. Thus far I have been lead to believe that that is not the case (that Carver shows up here and there, but ultimately your single-player experience is you on your own).

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By stryker1121

@tsiro said:

@SeriouslyNow: If you would please let me know where I can read about the AI buddy being persistant throughout the entire single player experience, please let me know, because I haven't seen any (reputable) sources talking about that. Thus far I have been lead to believe that that is not the case (that Carver shows up here and there, but ultimately your single-player experience is you on your own).

Not true from all i've read. SP you will be alone w/ Carver talking to you through comms and, like you say, showing up in person now and then. This is no Resi-type "forced" AI partner deal.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@tsiro said:

I can only logically glean that as EA only shows Carver and Isaac in every scene that they together in every scene. Of course, I could be wrong, but then EA haven't shown me any different so far.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#105  Edited By Deranged

Hey now, I love me some co-op but adding it in simply because they believe that it's too scary to play alone?

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By hbkdx12

Even when a game/franchise is a success, why do devs (most likely pubs to be honest) feel the need to appeal to an even larger audience?

Dead space has a nice following both critically and amongst gamers. Why do they feel the need to feel like apparently that's not enough.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

Clairabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#107  Edited By Clairabel

@Demoskinos said:

Isn't that the whole point? That's like saying water is too wet. =/

Basically, this.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#108  Edited By donutfever

The minute they said that you couldn't twist the reticle on the Plasma Cutter was the minute this franchise lost everything for me.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#109  Edited By jonnyboy

It has multiplayer so EA can justify an online pass. End of.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#110  Edited By JasonR86

If this interpretation of what was said is true then those people are fucking wimps. Even if that interpretation is right though that has to be a tiny, microscopic part of the audience right? I mean honestly, the majority of people who play Dead Space can't think that way right? Then why have that be the rationale for adding in co-op? I could care less about co-op but why do it for that reason? Good God.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#111  Edited By biospank

So they are sayin that Dead Space was so scarry that for some reason they needed co-op to make it less so. Oh, ok. I can see how they want to capitalize on the game, so they are making it more action bassed and then make MP which we also saw in 2. then it theoretically draws in people in. 
    But for some reason they started to understand that hoardmode or strange deathmatch thing was not the thing that did theoretically draw people in, so the natuarll conclusion is Co-Op. Well, you pretty much lost me there EA, I will probably buy it but not at launch maybe 6months down the road where its 20bucks or so.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#112  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@DonutFever said:

The minute they said that you couldn't twist the reticle on the Plasma Cutter was the minute this franchise lost everything for me.

I don't even understand why they have even talked about this either, cause they have said no but hinted yes... basically confirming it's some sort of 'moment' in the game where you reclaim this ability and are supposed to be amazed or some FUCKING SHIT. Kudos for coming up with this concept of stripping the player of most of the reasons why they pay you money, only to give some of them back later for cheap tricks.

@SeriouslyNow said:

I can only logically glean that as EA only shows Carver and Isaac in every scene that they together in every scene. Of course, I could be wrong, but then EA haven't shown me any different so far.

If you haven't noticed, lately publishers are showing videos games off in ways that show the smallest, dumbest, farthest from the actual game parts in hopes of capturing supposedly larger audiences... even though I'm pretty sure the 'dude' that wants these things probably doesn't even watch E3, or the trailers uploaded to gaming sites, or anywhere that this content is being shown. This is very much a case of trying to please someone new and burning your existing friends faces off in the process, all the while never actually achieving new friends.

So many games are doing this shit it's very confusing, name a game that's been talked about in the past few years and there's a 60% chance they first showed off the shitty part of the game, examples such as NFS: The Run, where they thought it was a good idea to show an out of car section for a driving game... whatever guy thought that up as the major focus to show a game off by is clearly fucking all the other marketing leads for a ton of other upcoming games cause they all are doing the same dumb shit that makes no fucking sense, it's corroding the relations of fans to the games they love and it's not winning them new fans in the process, especially in the long term where more often then not these games are shittier anyways... just also-rans that are less than the sum of their parts.

What is incredibly depressing is most of the time these games that fail, had marketing budgets larger than their development budgets... spending more money selling shit rather than making it is where a lot of the gaming industry is right now and it's super lame.

overjoyedpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By overjoyedpants

i hope this game is good, but i dont think i will buy it. coop ruins horror games for me. i love the fear series, but fear 3, imho, was not fun. it became more of an action game than a horror game. same is true for resident evil. from what people say, it is a pretty good game, but i dislike it. i cant think of a horror series that added coop and turned out to be fun for me.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By jillsandwich

A marketing person is saying this?

What the fuck kind of mind do you have to be in as a marketer to say that out loud for millions of potential customers to hear?

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#115  Edited By Rohok

I'm really tired of companies giving all these options to make things easy and get things handed to you. If you're too much of a pussy to play a scary game, you shouldn't have the option to pussify it. You should just fuck off and go watch MLP.

Or difficulty settings in MMOs. I mean what the fuck? We have easy games for a reason, and non-scary thriller games for a reason. Fuck off and go play those.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Harkat

Eh. Dead Space was never really scary.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Zlimness

EA want to sell twice the amount of copies, simple as that. Doubt they care what people actually liked about the first game.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

If EA was looking to turn my day one pre-order sale into just a rental, they succeeded.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Meltac

Just play it solo then? What's the big deal? Dead Space 2 was still scary and suspenseful even though it was way more action-focused. I think that when it D3 finally drops, people will forget all doubt they had. 

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By LikeaSsur

@FluxWaveZ: Your thread title is misleading. I thought they were going to say how they're drawing back from the fear factor because Dead Space 1 and 2 were too much. This is certainly not the case.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#121  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@LikeaSsur said:

@FluxWaveZ: Your thread title is misleading. I thought they were going to say how they're drawing back from the fear factor because Dead Space 1 and 2 were too much. This is certainly not the case.

What? There have been clarifications and such to EA's quote in the past few days, but I don't think the thread title is misleading because that is exactly what they're doing. Because DS1 and DS2 were "pretty scary", they added co-op to DS3 so that more people would try the game out because of being accompanied with a friend through the campaign.

If that is what you assumed from the title, that has nothing to do with the (pretty accurate) title itself.

KyleEA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By KyleEA

DS1 and DS2 were not scary at all to me. great games, great universes to explore, but not scary. i can't wait for some co-op killin though. gunna be saweet.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Klei

People are idiots. They bitch and moan about anything without taking the fucking time to get their facts straight : Co-op is not mandatory. They're actually making two games in one : if you play alone, the game is different and you DON'T have an AI partner. And if they really pull it off without cutting corners, it'll be quite something.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#124  Edited By Humanity

From the videos they showed the co-op ties in great. If you're playing with someone they're trucking along next to you but if you play single player then Isaac was completely by himself with the other character peeking his head around a corner saying "meet you after you repair that power generator and shit!" sort of like what most other NPC's did in DS1 and DS2.

First time I saw footage of co op I was really let down because that wasn't the direction I wanted the game to go in but after a comparison gameplay video of a single section played in co-op and alone most of my fears were put to rest.

MadMagyar92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By MadMagyar92

Crazy thought: maybe co-op will actually be FUN to play and the single player is just as satisfying as past iterations?

I mean, Dead Space was never really THAT scary, so what difference does it make? I see no need to get in a hissy fit until it's been released and the numbers are in.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#126  Edited By bacongames

@MadMagyar92 said:

Crazy thought: maybe co-op will actually be FUN to play and the single player is just as satisfying as past iterations?

I mean, Dead Space was never really THAT scary, so what difference does it make? I see no need to get in a hissy fit until it's been released and the numbers are in.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

gregjay24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By gregjay24

Dead Space 2 wasn't even scary it was just weird and a little freaky at some points. Dead Space was scary, the second was lacking. The story sucks too so I will not be buying anyway. Yet, it sounds like adding a co-op won't do anything to single player, so how does this poise for anyone? You can play single player if you wish, nothing is forcing you to play co-op

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#128  Edited By Kazona

The Co-op is optional, so if you want the classic Dead Space feel just play it by yourself. I don't get why such a big fuss is being made over this.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Jeldh

What are you guys whining on about? They added Co-op? HOW CAN THIS POSSIBLE BE A BAD THING FUCK.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Quarters

That's not what they are saying. So many sites have sensationalized this. They are just saying that some people found the games scary, and would have a higher chance of playing it if they could do coop. Coop is for them. For everyone else, SP still exists. They haven't taken any horror aspects out of the game. They've said repeatedly that SP isn't the exact same as coop, and the partner is barely seen in the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Kuchera's article was one of the rare times I've seen a journalist take a stand on their colleagues. I wish someone did it to Crescente with that awful Jason Rubin interview.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By probablytuna

This reminds me of that Kotaku article about how Horror isn't mainstream and that the first two entries in a horror series is generally the most scary then as it gets popular it tends to head into more action territory.

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Herk

From what I've heard the co-op and single player campaign differs quite a bit, though. And from what I've seen the stuff they do with the two different perspectives in co-op is pretty freaky!

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By zenmastah

Wonder if the game ends up significantly harder on solo because of the co-op..

StinkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By StinkyD

So I must be the only one who is going to purchase dead space 3 because of the coop. I did not own the first 2 btw. coop is key for me.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By VoshiNova

I never thought Dead Space was scary, and I feel like the gameplay is a bad version of RE4.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played the game co-op yet but I really enjoyed the demo single player. I'm picking it up fo sho.

swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By swat200

glad to see creative visions are still being murdered by focus testing over at EA

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.