Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Dead Space owns me like a prison whore.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By fwylo

Holy shit a blog about games.   

This is probably a better game for me. 
    Anyways, I started playing Dead Space a couple weeks ago. I haven't had too much time for games so I only have an hour and a half or so of playtime so far.  Well that and apparently I'm a giant pussy that can only play this game in half hour sessions.  I knew I was a sucker for jump scares but I'll be dammed if that game isn't intense as fuck. 

I've never been much of a completionist when it comes to games.  I just play through the story, usually skip side-quests.  I'm not an achievement hunter, or someone who needs to obtain every multi-player unlock.  But the atmosphere in this game is phenomenal.  Walking in to a bloody ass room after killing a few necromorphs and seeing some writing on the wall.  Any other game I would usually just run past.  But something about the mysterious atmosphere in this game is making me search every room top to bottom, stop and listen carefully to every audio/video log, and go off in to side rooms that aren't on my objective path. This game is doing weird things to me. 

I think the thing about this game is that its more what isn't happening than what actually is happening.  They give you your first few jump scare and all of a sudden you are waiting for the next one to happen at every possible moment. 

I was following along my objective path thingy and walked passed a bathroom.  I glanced at it and said to myself "I've been in there already", and continued on for a couple seconds before I stopped. I knew full well I hadn't actually been in there,  "Fuuuuuuck".  I turned my ass around and pumped my self up to go and check out what was in there. What if there was some awesome audio log in there, or something sweet written on the wall! Ahhhh. But what if some crazy ass necromorph is going to jump out of the toilet and eat me?! 

Turns out there was some plasma energy and a large med pack. Good finds.  But nothing else.  No necromorphs, no scares, nothing. But the atmosphere had done it's job.  It has put in me in the mindset that I need to be prepared at all times for something to happen, when really shit isn't even happening that often. Good for you Visceral, good for you. 

All in all the game is fantastic so far.  Great controls, fantastic amounts of detail in the design, good graphics, and the mysterious/intense atmosphere it has created in just the hour I've played is phenomenal.  I'm excited to continue with it, and I've got more time to play as of now so if I can now just get some balls to play longer sessions I might finish it in a reasonable time. Oh and the random npc's that get killed, or are doing weird shit?  Pro tip: That shit is fucking creepy.

Fuuuuuck.
    Fuuuuuck.

Oh also I've been throwing all my credits and upgrades in to my suit so far, is that worth it? And is it worth it to get the Plasma Cutter only achievement?  

Thanks for reading. 

Respect.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By fwylo

Holy shit a blog about games.   

Anyways, I started playing Dead Space a couple weeks ago. I haven't had too much time for games so I only have an hour and a half or so of playtime so far.  Well that and apparently I'm a giant pussy that can only play this game in half hour sessions.  I knew I was a sucker for jump scares but I'll be dammed if that game isn't intense as fuck. 

I've never been much of a completionist when it comes to games.  I just play through the story, usually skip side-quests.  I'm not an achievement hunter, or someone who needs to obtain every multi-player unlock.  But the atmosphere in this game is phenomenal.  Walking in to a bloody ass room after killing a few necromorphs and seeing some writing on the wall.  Any other game I would usually just run past.  But something about the mysterious atmosphere in this game is making me search every room top to bottom, stop and listen carefully to every audio/video log, and go off in to side rooms that aren't on my objective path. This game is doing weird things to me. 

I think the thing about this game is that its more what isn't happening than what actually is happening.  They give you your first few jump scare and all of a sudden you are waiting for the next one to happen at every possible moment. 

I was following along my objective path thingy and walked passed a bathroom.  I glanced at it and said to myself "I've been in there already", and continued on for a couple seconds before I stopped. I knew full well I hadn't actually been in there,  "Fuuuuuuck".  I turned my ass around and pumped my self up to go and check out what was in there. What if there was some awesome audio log in there, or something sweet written on the wall! Ahhhh. But what if some crazy ass necromorph is going to jump out of the toilet and eat me?! 

Turns out there was some plasma energy and a large med pack. Good finds.  But nothing else.  No necromorphs, no scares, nothing. But the atmosphere had done it's job.  It has put in me in the mindset that I need to be prepared at all times for something to happen, when really shit isn't even happening that often. Good for you Visceral, good for you. 

All in all the game is fantastic so far.  Great controls, fantastic amounts of detail in the design, good graphics, and the mysterious/intense atmosphere it has created in just the hour I've played is phenomenal.  I'm excited to continue with it, and I've got more time to play as of now so if I can now just get some balls to play longer sessions I might finish it in a reasonable time. Oh and the random npc's that get killed, or are doing weird shit?  Pro tip: That shit is fucking creepy.

Fuuuuuck.
    Fuuuuuck.

Oh also I've been throwing all my credits and upgrades in to my suit so far, is that worth it? And is it worth it to get the Plasma Cutter only achievement?  

Thanks for reading. 

Respect.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I didn't find Dead Space scary, but it's still within reaching distance when put against Dead Space 2. Overall, I prefer the original over DS2 for that very atmosphere you've stated to love so much, plus with DS2 focusing too much on large, action orientated set pieces. Dead Space had such a more methodical, slower pace, and that makes my heart happy. ^___^ 

Also you should probably save the Plasma Cutter achievement for another playthrough, if you plan for one. The game is still easy to beat with a Plasma Cutter alone, but you might want to get your bearings with what happens when in the game to make it less frustrating. Plus you could also just head right back in with a fully upgraded Plasma Cutter and clean house!

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Cornman89

Yep, Dead Space owned me, too. I could only play that game in 20-30 minute sessions. After that, I would be so physically exhausted from tensing all the muscles in my body that I had to take a break.

It's the interactivity that does it, really. Watching someone walk down the scary dark corridor in a movie is nothing; but introduce the element of agency, the knowledge that I myself have to go there, and suddenly it's horrifying.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By napalm

Dead Space on hard is no joke. When I finished Dead Space 2, I honestly could not remember anything from that game, besides the frustrating last level, and the nice nod that Visceral put at the very end of the game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yummylee
    @Napalm said:
    " Dead Space on hard is no joke. When I finished Dead Space 2, I honestly could not remember anything from that game, besides the frustrating last level, and the nice nod that Visceral put at the very end of the game. "
    Dead Space's Impossible Mode is still so much more tolerable than Dead Space 2's Hardcore mode, though. X_X.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By napalm
    @Abyssfull: What do you by, "tolerable?" Do you mean the three save rule? Or the enemies?
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Yummylee
    @Napalm said:
    " @Abyssfull: What do you by, "tolerable?" Do you mean the three save rule? Or the enemies? "
    I mean in just attempting to complete it. Impossible mode was tough, but once you died, you could still enter right back in from where you left off. Hardcore mode, even though the enemies aren't tough, has still managed to rape me in every orifice thanks to random explosion deaths. The unavoidable panic of knowing if you die it's over, doesn't help my mentality either. I could save, but with only three, I don't feel like they're worth it from how far I usually reach, with them most needed nearing the ending sections of insanity.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm
    @Abyssfull: That's the problem that I had with Dead Space 2. It did take the whole crazy action route, but it did it like Modern Warfare 2 did it - attempting this section for the first time, you won't know that this thing you have to avoid will blow up, or you have to go through this specific route or something and you'll end up dying because you don't know that, so in Dead Space 2, it leads to a lot of random deaths.
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By the_hiro_abides
    @Abyssfull:
    I definitely agree that the panic of dying in hardcore mode is more unsettling than anything else in DS2.
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fwylo
    @Abyssfull: Ya the scare factor of it isn't too bad.  Just the anticipation of waiting for something to happen at every moment.  Fuck. 

@Cornman89: I didn't even think of it that way but ya.  Having to actually be the person that says ok I'm going to check this room out even though I know I don't have to is a crazy feeling.  I feel like if I was watching someone in a movie I'd be screaming at them telling them they're an idiot for going in there. 

@Napalm: I'm playing it on medium >.< 

The whole reason I'm playing it is because I played the Dead Space 2 demo and love it.  So now I need to play them both.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By buft

same here, i usually play for an hour or 2 then leave it a few days to let my heart get back in rhythm. 

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I actually started playing with headphones, in the dark. I had to stop playing it like that because I was too scared to do anything. I could hear every hiss and clank and scratch and scream and it was fucking me up. I was getting freaked out by the background ambient clinking and groaning of the ship, let alone the wall vents and corpses that kept exploding, dropping out the ceiling or leaping out at me. I remember being killed by a necromorph that jumped out at me from a vent on the right side of a hallway, and being totally freaked. Next time I approached the vent I did so with my gun raised, edging slowly towards it, waiting for it to pop. But it didn't come out of that wall vent the second time. Oh no it didn't. It smashed through the door which was now behind me. This was the point that I realised I was well and truly being mentally violated by this game.

I had to stop playing it in the dark. It was either that or stop playing at all. Call me a pussy if you want, I don't care. That game is fuuuuuuuuucked up.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fwylo
    @buft: Ya the first break I took to convince myself to go back to it was about 5 days haha.  God damn that game. 

@Sweep: I was considering playing with headphones.  But instead I just turn up the volume like mad and sit right in front of my monitor.  Lights definitely off, but I don't think that would really make that much of a difference haha. 

I think I know exactly what necromorph you're talking about, he scared the shit out of me last night.  They show you him kind of walking down the hall way infront of you so you know he's there. Round one corner and you see him up(down?) a ramp going around the next corner.  Then you get to the corner in which he just turned and he's not there anymore.  Then BAM right beside you.  FUCK.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @fwylo: I think we are talking about two different points in the game. This is even more terrifying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.