Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Still Play even Though I had it Spooled?

MonkeyMitcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MonkeyMitcho

I was going to play through this game (eventually) and I was just going through didyouknowgaming.com and it spoiled it for me (it is 100 years old so I can't get too angry.) So I was wondering if it was still worth playing even though I know Nicole is dead.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

The story is not the draw here. Atmosphere, gameplay, graphics, sound are. Definitely still play it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Humanity

Definitely. You would have known she is dead literally minutes into the game. The story is OK in Dead Space but it's the gameplay that really shines. If you like SCI FI then this is an amazing experience. The combat is really fun and the atmosphere is second to none. Dead Space is what survival horror should be like. Responsive movement but not as fast as your typical third person shooter. Restricted ammo but not to the point where you're scrounging for every single bullet. Interesting environments and fun puzzles that make sense rather than looking for the Owl shaped key to place inside a stone slab so a gate opens somewhere.

As a huge fan of the series I can't recommend it enough - you may know she's dead but there are several other twists along the way that will still keep you guessing.

(also side note, if you take the first letter of each chapter title, it spells out n i c o l e i s d e a d )

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By redcream

Yeah play it! If you're like me no amount of spoilers can prepare you for the ending plus the game itself is incredibly fun.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Terramagi

Honestly, Nicole NOT being dead would've been a bigger spoiler.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

Most definitely.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Raven10

Yea definitely. There are a couple other twists in there and like others have said, the story isn't really the best part. Great atmosphere, plenty of scares and fun combat are the highlight. Still totally worth playing. And again, there is at least one other major twist that you still don't know that was actually a lot more surprising to me than her being dead. You could guess that half way through.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SharkEthic

Wait, Nicole is dead?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TobbRobb

The story barely matters. If you want one of, if not THE most atmospheric survival horror games, then definitely play it.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rafaelfc

People should be WAAAAAAAY less uptight about spoilers (or what really constitutes a spoiler), this is ridiculous.

Yes, play Dead Space, the game is so good no one or two sentences will diminish your enjoyment of it.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By amir90

Yes, you are missing out on one of the best titles from 2008

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By AssInAss

Why are you storing games in a spool?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Winternet

Dude, you totally should. It's an amazing game.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sinusoidal

I started playing last week for the first time ever. I'm having a good time. Good jump scares, creepy atmosphere, excellent mechanics. Honestly, Nicole doesn't have much to do with anything, just a name they threw out at the beginning and in one audio log I picked up, and I'm about halfway through.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate getting things spooled. But I could really use a spool for my headphone cables. They've gotten tangled lately.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaggE

I didn't even care for the first game, and I still wholeheartedly recommend it. The atmosphere is incredible.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@HistoryInRust: Printers gotta spool though!

For realsies, Dead Space is pretty intense on its own and it's less about that story (as others have mentioned) as it is in terms of how it plays as a survival horror. A great experience worth going through even in spite of a spoiler.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By musubi

Oh no the missing person you are after is actually dead in a horror game story? YOU DON'T SAY. But seriously...story doesn't matter honestly, I'd just say go Deadspace 2 as I think it was a MUCH better game.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Getz

You should just skip the first game and play the second, it's not like you need to know the story or anything to enjoy it. Most of that stuff about the marker and the nature of the necromorphs is kinda dumb anyway.

sean2206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By sean2206

I played it over the summer for the first time knowing the "twist" and still thought it was great. As everyone else here says its about the atmosphere, tension and gameplay. Even if you didn't know you definitely would have figured it out before the reveal, probably even in the first hour or two.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

@MonkeyMitcho: If that's the only spoiler you know, then yes, and even if you knew the entire story, I'd still say yes. Dead Space is an amazing game. Playing two and then going back it's noticeably slower. If you play it, and you want a really fast frame-rate and gameplay, play it on PC, but if you want the DLC, go for either PS3 or 360. It still runs more than adequate on consoles. I have it on PS3.

There's another twist in it that doesn't have to do with Nicole's death. Oh, and if you can tell me, since this is old, have you already played it? I also recommend going through two after it. It's not very scary compared to the first when you play them on hard, but in other areas it's just as amazing; maybe slightly more. Oh, and people keep saying the story doesn't matter, but I have no idea what they're talking about, it does very much indeed.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By big_jon

Hell yes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.