Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Deadly Premonition has broken the 50k sales mark!

• 68 results
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @iAmJohn said:
    " @bobber205 said:
    " Doesn't Shane from 1up work for ignition? :P "
    "Director of New Business Development."  Though my next question is that if they're supposedly serious about localizing random Japanese games and have the backing of an Indian media conglomerate, why can't they afford to hire a localization staff or a talented company like 8-4 to handle things? :\ "
    Part of brining Shane on is to do things like this. It was his idea to keep Muramasa's original voice tracks after all.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Hourai
    @jos4 said:
    " According to VGChartz, the sales are:
    No Caption Provided
      So, the game is not selling bad at all, taking into account it is a budget game that had no hope of selling many copies. BTW, Japenese sales are just awful! O_O "
    1000 sales in Japan. Ouch. 
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By iamjohn
    @Snapstacle said:
    " Part of brining Shane on is to do things like this. It was his idea to keep Muramasa's original voice tracks after all. "
    Do things like what?  The poor localizations that Ignition have become notorious for?
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By scarace360

so does that make deadly premonition 2 a reality cause we know this game can sell. GDC 2011 confirmed deadly premonition 2 will be there.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @iAmJohn said:

" @Snapstacle said:

" Part of brining Shane on is to do things like this. It was his idea to keep Muramasa's original voice tracks after all. "
    Do things like what?  The poor localizations that Ignition have become notorious for? "

why can't they afford to hire a localization staff or a talented company like 8-4 to handle things?    

DavidSnakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56  Edited By DavidSnakes
    @mutha3 said:
    " @iAmJohn: 

I applaud those two guys who worked on it then! The dialogue was surprisingly decent seeing how it was written by two dudes in a country which doesn't have English as its native language.

The VA is also surprisingly well-cast. I simply can't think of a better VA for York. Its perfect. 

@Robitt: The only thing Shane is good at is speaking in hyperboles. You should dig up the embarrassing statements he made when he was interviewed.  ''Ignition does things no other niche game localizers have ever done!''  You got that one right, Shane. (not an exact quote, he said something along these lines) "
    Agreed, amazing that DP's dialogue is as good as it is considering the origins and non-existent budget.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By iamjohn
    @Snapstacle: I apologize if this is really obvious and I'm not getting it because of how tired I am, but I'm not following. 

They have continued to become notorious for poor localizations under Shane's watch.  Muramasa was okay by all accounts, but you also have examples like Deadly Premonition and Nostalgia, where the text is rife with typos and awful spelling errors that no one bothered to vet because Ignition leaves it to some dudes in Japan (and not the good dudes in Japan) to do it, or Arc Rise Fantasia which has some amazingly atrocious VO work.  One would think that this direction Shane has been taking the company in - localizing niche Japanese titles - would have led to them trying to take an Atlus-like approach to things, but instead they're just making it so people get pissed off every time they announce a new project because they're involved.
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @Turambar said:
    " Deadly Premonition has sold more than Persona 3 FES.  This is depressing. "
    Seriously?  I would have thought that Persona 3 would have been much more of a hit than Deadly Premonition.  Or was that figure for Persona 3: FES only?
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @iAmJohn: I understand what you mean, but I'm just tired of people always bitching about localization. I hate to be that guy, but if you don't like it, learning Japanese would probably be a well endowed investment (as I am doing).
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By iamjohn
    @WickedCobra03 said:

" @Turambar said:

" Deadly Premonition has sold more than Persona 3 FES.  This is depressing. "
    Seriously?  I would have thought that Persona 3 would have been much more of a hit than Deadly Premonition.  Or was that figure for Persona 3: FES only? "
    Both versions of Persona 3 combined have sold more than Deadly Premonition (hell, Persona 3 alone has sold more than Deadly Premonition).  Persona 3 FES, however, has only sold 11,000 copies in the US... when Atlus expected to sell only 5000. 

I'm still failing to understand why Deadly Premonition outselling Persona 3 is some kind of problem, though.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By ajamafalous

Am I the only one here who's actually angry about this?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Hosstile17 said:
    " Ha ha ha. I have developed the bad habit of picking up all the games that they do Endurance Run of. "
    So two games...? Unless you picked up Matrix Online to which I would reply, what the fuck?
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By iamjohn
    @Snapstacle said:

" @iAmJohn: I understand what you mean, but I'm just tired of people always bitching about localization. I hate to be that guy, but if you don't like it, learning Japanese would probably be a well endowed investment (as I am doing). "

Fun fact: I took Japanese all throughout high school and for a year in college. 

Another fun fact: I'm not asking for literary genius or something that "holds true to the original intent of the authors" here; I'm just asking for something that's fucking legible.  And considering Atlus, XSEED, Aksys and any game 8-4 was involved in give me that with no trouble (and sometimes in amazing fashion) whereas Ignition doesn't, I don't think I'm asking for too much here. 

It's not the mid-nineties anymore.  You shouldn't be allowed to get away with this bullshit. 

@ajamafalous said: 

" Am I the only one here who's actually angry about this? "

Please Mr. Douchenozzle Who Hasn't Played The Game, tell me why it's such a crime that a good niche game has sold pretty well.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64  Edited By Evilsbane
    @mutha3 said:
    " @Robitt said:

" @mutha3 said:

" Too bad Ignition USA benefits from the profit....Fuck:( "
    Enlighten me; Why is that bad? "
    I'll just quote myself:

My problem with Ignition is the fact that, they are among the worst localizers in the industry right now. They have taken, and ruined, many Japanese games from small publishers and given it the worst possible voice work they can find. Also, they outsource their localizations.

Here is some of their ''amazing'' work:   
    http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/827196/epoch-project/videos/arcrise_gmp_battle_41910.html

They're basically the opposite of Atlus when it comes to localization.

And before you mention it:
      DP? The localization and voice acting wasn't done by Ignition, but by the fine gentlemen at XSEED. The only part of the  game Ignition got their hands on, was the dialogue boxes.....now think to yourself, which part of DP is full of spelling mistakes, grammar mistakes and a complete and utter lack of understanding basic aspects of the English language(you stuffed your face!)

Just....just...just look at that video I just posted if you want to see what DP would have been like if Ignition would have localized it. 

"
    OH MAN, Oh man that video...I wanted to cut myself about 30 secs in, and I think i saw One text box match what they were actually saying.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @iAmJohn said:
    "
    It's not the mid-nineties anymore.  You shouldn't be allowed to get away with this bullshit. 
    "
    It's not gonna change, there are not nearly enough translators for all the games coming out of Japan to be translated by anyone with any decent writing capabilities to satisfy the consumer demand, especially in a timely manner. 8-4 is a small company of ex-journos, they can't be on-hand for every project. I understand this, and arguing on message boards will not change anything in the long run.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By mutha3

@Snapstacle said:

" @iAmJohn said:
    "
    "
    It's not gonna change, there are not nearly enough translators for all the games coming out of Japan to be translated by anyone with any decent writing capabilities to satisfy the consumer demand, especially in a timely manner. 8-4 is a small company of ex-journos, they can't be on-hand for every project. I understand this, and arguing on message boards will not change anything in the long run. "

This isn't like the early PS1 days where videogame localization was just getting started and finding talented people to voice or write for your game was impossible.  This is 2010.

Ignition is the exception these days, not the rule. And just because they have''mangod'' does not automatically mean people should accept their piss-poor localizations. Besides, the only reason they took Shane is for PR purposes for internet nerds.

....And I kinda disagree with Muramasa being ''mediocre''. While playing that game I had NO idea what was going, the dialogue was impossible to follow and at time pretty damn awkwardly written. That one was pretty awful as well.
    Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Glad to see this. Hopefully this inspires more bargain priced goodies down the road.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By hockeymask27

Man this site is full of bad people. God will punish us for what we have done. However I hear sweary is pumped.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#69  Edited By Darkstar614

I find this pretty hilarious. Great job SWERY!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.