Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

SWERY explains 'crazy-world' and the zombies. (Spoilers)

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shinri

In an interview with someone from a podcast that can be found on the website 'morning radio', SWERY explains a few aspects of the game that aren't explained within the game.

1 - Crazy-land is indeed psychological.
    2 - The zombies are victims of the previous R. Killer, and of each other (the 1956 incident, I think it was) from when the gas was released by Kaysen.
    3 - As a bonus, he said Kaysen was an 'agent of the red tree'. What exactly that is isn't cleared up... but SWERY did say there are other 'agents' out there, and that Kaysen released the gas in the first place to further his own mission. He didn't explain much further, though.

http://radio.morningproject.com/ 

For anyone who didn't see the other topic, that's where the podcast can be found. The interview is found at around the... 3 hour 16 mins mark.   What do you guys think of SWERY's explanations?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Devil240Z

Sounds like SWERY is just fillin' in plot holes. 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Devil240Z said:
    " Sounds like SWERY is just fillin' in plot holes.  "
    The first two I came up with as well. As for the last. It explains why Kaysen is all freaky. 
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

...And you didn't even promote the fact that the person answering the questions is Agent York's voice actor.  That's like the most important part. >:(

Edit: Alright, fine.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Now what prevented him from explaining that in the game itself, where it should've been done?

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shinri
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " ...And you didn't even promote the fact that the person answering the questions is Agent York's voice actor.  That's like the most important part. >:( "
    There's another topic about that, though... this is about discussing the plot.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By natetodamax

You should clarify that the interview starts at the 3:16:00 mark, not the 00:03:16 mark.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By sixghost
    @VilhelmNielsen said:

" Now what prevented him from explaining that in the game itself, where it should've been done? "

It was all pretty easy to assume once you played through the game, if you ask me. 

The fact that the crazy-world is just in York's head is made pretty obvious when you finish the Hospital other-world, and the game just flashes back to the real world with nothing else effected.

Also, I think the zombie thing was fairly obvious as well. Did you just want a character to pop up and explain all of this to you?

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shinri
    @natetodamax said:
    " You should clarify that the interview starts at the 3:16:00 mark, not the 00:03:16 mark. "
    You should be able to figure that out yourself if you go to 3:16 and all you hear is nasally voices. I see your point, though, I'll edit it.
    Madz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Madz
    @Shinri said:
    "  As a bonus, he said Kaysen was an 'agent of the red tree'. What exactly that is isn't cleared up... but SWERY did say there are other 'agents' out there, and that Kaysen released the gas in the first place to further his own mission. "
    At the start of the game, look at the USA map, the one where York says "It's a doll, shaped like a fat man." York says it has "Washington" written on it and there are A LOT of other dolls on the map.

Deadly Premonition 2, hell yeah!
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

If it was psychological, then why did it happen to Emily as well? Or is it psychological for whoever is in that area at the time? And does that mean he's never actually using any of those weapons or is he walking around shooting at nothing thinking it's a zombie?

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Jedted

I figured out the first 2 after Mr. Stewart explains what happened in 1956.  As for number 3, if Kaysen is an "agent" of the Red Tree(whatever that is) is he just like George except with more knowlage of the red seeds?  Is the Red Tree some alien life form or what? 

One thing i don't get is why did Kaysen plant the red seeds in Zack's mother and Emily? 
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Mcfart
    @Jedted said:
    " I figured out the first 2 after Mr. Stewart explains what happened in 1956.  As for number 3, if Kaysen is an "agent" of the Red Tree(whatever that is) is he just like George except with more knowlage of the red seeds?  Is the Red Tree some alien life form or what?  One thing i don't get is why did Kaysen plant the red seeds in Zack's mother and Emily?  "
    It's assumed that Kayson isn't human. As to why he plants red seeds into women.............................................?
    Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kovie

I've been thinking about this for a long time, even some time before any of this was revealed.  For whatever reason, I was curiously convinced throughout the whole game that it was based entirely in reality - That all this supernatural stuff was just York's( Well, I guess Zach's) psychological interpretation and overall struggles; something of a Squall's Dead sort of idea.  But as the game got more and more insane about it, this would imply that York's imaginings are based less and less on reality.  This sort of seems like a very pointless theory, but even accepting the bizarre tree stuff, why do Kaysen, and especially George, morph into monsters?  Why does York walk out of a door, only to find himself in a courtyard without any exit?  Why does lightning strike George and turn him into a tree?  Why does Zach run down a legion of stairs just to wind up on the top of a tower?

We understand now that that York's badge probably says "Francis Zach Morgan", that he always had white hair, that in his own self-image, he is without the predominant scar on his face, and that perhaps people's mystification with the name "York" is actually well-warranted.  We've also just got the offical conformation that these run-ins with "shadows" are not physically grounded, that they are some kind of mental interpretation/construct - This idea was what I first thought of when the prospect of the two worlds which can alter at any time, was presented.  But wait!  If those battles are psychological, doesn't that mean the encounter with George, and potentially Kaysen were also psychological?  And what the hell does that mean for Emily's encounter with the vines and other world?  Does it even make sense that those would be psychological too?

I also don't know about you guys, but when the idea of goddamn trees that sprout from your stomach was introduced, ones that proceed to turn you into a skeletal-esque corpse and turn into a full-on tree, I was thinking that this is the most ingeniously fucked up material for a nightmare.  It took me until the end of  the BR Endurance Run to start seeing the possibility of all these events somehow working in reality, through strange and incredibly vauge supernatural means.  But like I mentioned, this doesn't actually make proper sense, with York/Zach transitioning to areas that don't seem even remotely connected together.

The Red Room and Forest Room are also now proven to be of importance.  Swery says Kaysen is a construct of the Red Room, is it some kind of demonic and malevolent force, or something psychological?  I don't think Swery mentioned more than it being a sort of embodiment of malice.  And wait - if Kaysen was created by the Red Room, and it's all physical - He actually did transform, isn't somebody in Greenvale questioning this huge hole in the town's theatre?  Agghh... That leads me back to the underground stairway system.  What's Zach going to write on his FBI report about this?  What are the repercussions of this whole ordeal?   Does anyone else even care that monster-Kaysen and George simply exist?  What does any of this mean!?

Could the story of Deadly Premonition actually be about an eccentric FBI Agent investigating a series of murders, but also simultaneously, in a careful and seemingly-undisturbed manner, dealing with his own, deeply warped psychology?  Is Kaysen just a murderer, without any immortality?  -- But wait, the picture at the Inn shows Kaysen at the clock tower, so he had to have been around then.  Right?..  Right?

Okay, it's about time I wind this thing down.  This has been an incredibly convoluted assessment of Deadly Premonition's story, focusing on details that far more likely than not, were just used as means to justify gameplay, and loosely tie everything together.  Thanks for reading!

RobJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RobJ

I think the answers SWERY gave were awesome! It cleared up a few loose ends for me. I am playing DP the 2nd time through and I am finding the story and characters even better this time around.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By shirogane

I'm going to assume that by psychological he means that it doesn't take place in the real world, but in the characters mind when they are affected by the seeds/fog. However, the fog/seeds may have an effect where the 'world' that it drags people into is a persistent one among all the people in there. Much like the white and red rooms, where York/Zach and Stewart were both in there and aware of each others existence. 

Also, that last part sounds like an excuse to make a sequel. A sequel that will never happen, cause he knows he's just teasing us.
    ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ashogo

The more I hear, the more this sounds like a direct rip-off of Twin Peaks.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jams

Why do the guys on the podcast sound so annoying? It's like they are putting on a pretend professional voice and it makes them sound like they. stop. go. for. every. sentence. while pretending. to sound. like they are. reading. from a script.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince

Trilogy confirmed?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Undeadpool

I had a theory that since the zombies came back when it rained, they may have been corpses that were reanimated by the gas getting re-released into the air. Sounds like I was at least close.

Z80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Z80

I knew what crazy land was as soon as we saw Harry's old-timey cutscene.  We already knew that the Spiritual Map dudes were ghosts of the dead, so it made sense that these guys would be, too.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Ineedaname

I kinda wish he never said and left it to player to decide.

Robinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Robinx
    @Jedted:

the only way the red seeds grow propperly (with the imortality effect) is if you plant them in a human host
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ch3burashka

With the ER:DP behind us, I'm quite okay with leaving the game be. As far as I'm concerned, all the unanswered questions can be solved with a "Because". The important thing is that it was an incredible experience. Don't you agree, York?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.