Hothead Games Continues to Announce Things, This Time a DeathSpank Sequel

• 51 results
Posted by Alex (2401 posts) -

Seemingly unsatisfied with the mere announcement of a new game based on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, Hothead Games has once again let slip news of a new project in the works at its studio, though this time, it's something familiar to the developer.

Hopefully this Baconing won't be a total turkey! Hah! Right?!? It's... I'm... I'm so sorry...

Hothead dropped early word to Kotaku this morning that a new sequel to the studio's 2010 downloadable action RPG titles, DeathSpank, and DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue, will be coming this summer to Xbox Live, the PlayStation Network, and PC. Titled 'The Baconing', this sequel does not feature the involvement of the character's original creator, Ron Gilbert, nor does it feature the word DeathSpank anywhere in the title. It's just The Baconing.

Perhaps this might have something to do with wanting to get away from any negative connotations one might associate with the earlier DeathSpank titles. While generally amusing send-ups of loot-heavy action RPG games, both titles suffered from some rather rote, repetitive gameplay, which our own Jeff Gerstmann took particular issue with in his review of the first title.

That said, Hothead seems well aware of the earlier game's issues and promised in its statement to Kotaku that The Baconing would be a great deal more satisfying to play. The game will apparently feature over 100 new quests, 80 new weapons, 70 different characters, and a new sidekick character named Bob from Marketing. His special abilities will apparently include such gems as: "Laser eye beams; Eat dead bodies to restore health; Eat live bodies as an additional attack option." As someone who once worked alongside a real life Bob from Marketing at one point in my career, I can certify that most of these terrifying abilities are pretty accurate. Sorry, Mr. Picunko.

You can read the entire press release in the Kotaku article, if so inclined. Or you could just go fry up a pan's worth of delicious bacon yourself in celebration of this announcement. Unless you're a vegetarian, in which case, this whole thing is probably just kind of offensive to you. Sorry about that.

#1 Posted by Alex (2401 posts) -

Seemingly unsatisfied with the mere announcement of a new game based on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, Hothead Games has once again let slip news of a new project in the works at its studio, though this time, it's something familiar to the developer.

Hopefully this Baconing won't be a total turkey! Hah! Right?!? It's... I'm... I'm so sorry...

Hothead dropped early word to Kotaku this morning that a new sequel to the studio's 2010 downloadable action RPG titles, DeathSpank, and DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue, will be coming this summer to Xbox Live, the PlayStation Network, and PC. Titled 'The Baconing', this sequel does not feature the involvement of the character's original creator, Ron Gilbert, nor does it feature the word DeathSpank anywhere in the title. It's just The Baconing.

Perhaps this might have something to do with wanting to get away from any negative connotations one might associate with the earlier DeathSpank titles. While generally amusing send-ups of loot-heavy action RPG games, both titles suffered from some rather rote, repetitive gameplay, which our own Jeff Gerstmann took particular issue with in his review of the first title.

That said, Hothead seems well aware of the earlier game's issues and promised in its statement to Kotaku that The Baconing would be a great deal more satisfying to play. The game will apparently feature over 100 new quests, 80 new weapons, 70 different characters, and a new sidekick character named Bob from Marketing. His special abilities will apparently include such gems as: "Laser eye beams; Eat dead bodies to restore health; Eat live bodies as an additional attack option." As someone who once worked alongside a real life Bob from Marketing at one point in my career, I can certify that most of these terrifying abilities are pretty accurate. Sorry, Mr. Picunko.

You can read the entire press release in the Kotaku article, if so inclined. Or you could just go fry up a pan's worth of delicious bacon yourself in celebration of this announcement. Unless you're a vegetarian, in which case, this whole thing is probably just kind of offensive to you. Sorry about that.

#2 Posted by skcusnatnivlem (17 posts) -

More Deathspank? Sure why not.

#3 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5463 posts) -

I would have much preferred Penny Arcade Episode 3, but now I have to read that in text form instead of playing it. :(

#4 Posted by teh_destroyer (3574 posts) -

Alex is on the roll today lol.

#5 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

So um people want more deathspank?

#6 Posted by CarpetRemnant (375 posts) -

I didn't even finish Deathspank the first, I really wanted to like it but it was just so incredibly repetitive that I lost any urge to play it after about 3 hours of playing, if that. So the prospect of a new game is less than exciting to me but maybe they can pull it out.

#7 Posted by kalmis (1549 posts) -

Yes please

#8 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

As soon as I read the word "literally" I knew it was Alex' news-post.

#9 Posted by BaconGames (3577 posts) -

I have a feeling that Gilbert was a liability on the project.  His humor just didn't work in Deathspank and the gameplay issues didn't help.  It was alright in the end but it wasn't what the pedigree made it out to be.  Here's hoping a refresh is what this series needed.

@Vito_Raliffe said:

I would have much preferred Penny Arcade Episode 3, but now I have to read that in text form instead of playing it. :(

To be fair it was as much an issue of exhaustion on the part of Mike and Jerry as it was Hothead's reluctance.
#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Death spank was a failure. We do not need another. 

#11 Posted by essi2 (146 posts) -

Yay, more Deathspank!

#12 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

Because Deathspank was so good we need more of them.

#13 Posted by Cubic (171 posts) -

I thought Deathspank had potential. I liked the look and tone of the world, even if I had trouble with the writing and the gameplay. Tighten both of those things up and you'd have a pretty good game.

#14 Posted by KillerFly (397 posts) -

I enjoyed the first DeathSpank. Never bothered to play the second one. Not a bad game at all, but eh.

#15 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Is this stuff funny?  I can't tell.

#16 Posted by thealexray (66 posts) -

At least  from thinking Thongs are still funny to thinking Bacon is still funny the developers have moved from 1999 to 2006.

#17 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

I enjoyed deathspank up until a certain part in thongs of virtue when i became bored of the formula, an improved version sounds like a plan

#18 Posted by Little_Socrates (5718 posts) -

If it has ENTIRELY DIFFERENT GAMEPLAY then I might be interested.

#19 Posted by StandStrong (122 posts) -

Good news, I really enjoyed the first two. Not to say that it's the greatest game ever, but well worth the money. 

#20 Posted by Getz (3156 posts) -
@Vito_Raliffe said:
The text was the only good part of that series anyway...
#21 Posted by SuperSambo (2885 posts) -

Deathspank sucks so badly. I got them both 1/2 price and im pissed at what I paid for them...

#22 Posted by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

Bacon = three guaranteed purchases
e, Major Nelson, Stepto.

#23 Posted by CookieMonster (2450 posts) -

Its going to take a lot of changes to the Deathspank formula to interest me.

#24 Posted by ffuok (3 posts) -

AUDIBLE GROAN

#25 Posted by cikame (1075 posts) -

Monday Night Combat already did bacon.

Bacon isn't really that funny anymore, it was good for 1 laugh.

#26 Posted by Creigz (183 posts) -
@Hockeymask27 said:
So um people want more deathspank?
Nope, Hothead wants more DeathSpank.
#27 Posted by Sammann31415 (67 posts) -

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World would have a bone to pick with this other downloadable title.  "Winners don't eat meat!"

That said, I wasn't interested in DeathSpank, and I won't be interested in this one either... until there's a Quick Look.  Then, maybe?

#28 Posted by gordjt (34 posts) -

I played through the first one and thought it was OK, nothing new or exciting.  But decided to skip the second as it looked like more of the same, which is exactly what I'll do with the third.

#29 Edited by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

I'd probably buy and play another DeathSpank someday (most likely when it goes on sale).

I always need something simple and mindless in my backlog for when I just want to mentally flop-out. I still have Torchlight and Thongs of Virtue though, so it could be a little bit before I need anything else.

#30 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

the first game was fun the second one is just ok so they will need to spice up something to make this game matter
#31 Posted by Joseppie (733 posts) -

I would say "yay!" but that would be an utter lie.

#32 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -
@Tuffgong said:
I have a feeling that Gilbert was a liability on the project.  His humor just didn't work in Deathspank and the gameplay issues didn't help.  It was alright in the end but it wasn't what the pedigree made it out to be.  Here's hoping a refresh is what this series needed.

@Vito_Raliffe said:
To be fair it was as much an issue of exhaustion on the part of Mike and Jerry as it was Hothead's reluctance.

I don;t know i found deathspank quite funny granted it not humor for everyone but fair from unfunny. Also i also picked up penny arcade 1 and 2 and i don't see the charm in those games i want to like it but everything in that game just feel under cooked. the only cool thing is i like the put you in the story comic book style of the game.
#33 Posted by TadThuggish (913 posts) -

MEMES! 

do you get it that is the joke

#34 Posted by bhhawks78 (1208 posts) -

Really can't stand the voice acting or writing or action in deathspank or the sequel on xbla.

#35 Posted by Gabriel (4082 posts) -

You know what's funny, Bacon. 

Gaming culture fucking sucks.

#36 Posted by Butano (1790 posts) -

Huh. I actually enjoyed the first Deathspank. Haven't gotten around to getting the 2nd yet due to my already mountainous backlog of other games, but it suited my need. 

Simple and funny game that was nice to just lie down on the couch and play. That's all I was looking for from it.

#37 Posted by AndrewW (144 posts) -

I loved both Deathspanks - maybe it's because I'm British and we appreciate that kinda humour. More = yes please.

#38 Posted by TheLocustHorde (8 posts) -

The need to fix the second Deathspank.  There are a bunch of glitches at the end of it and i can't finish it.  Would rather the second work so i could play through the game that i already purchased.

#39 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2400 posts) -

renviogorationg a new franchise. Didn't I just hear about something like this? 

#40 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

What the fuck is this jpeg Alex

#41 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

ho hum...

#42 Posted by Pop (2651 posts) -

I kind of like the name the baconing, it sounds good.

#43 Posted by Sammo21 (3562 posts) -

Hopefully they retool or complete redo the mechanics of the games...the games are too easy, as linear as you can get, and are way overpriced.  Also the humor was a huge letdown.

#44 Posted by Kaidorin (34 posts) -
@sammo21 said:
Hopefully they retool or complete redo the mechanics of the games...the games are too easy, as linear as you can get, and are way overpriced.  Also the humor was a huge letdown.

So, basically if they change the everything?
That could make me vaguely interested in the game. Maybe.
#45 Posted by Jellybones (104 posts) -
@TheLocustHorde said:
The need to fix the second Deathspank.  There are a bunch of glitches at the end of it and i can't finish it.  Would rather the second work so i could play through the game that i already purchased.
The game clearly isn't going to be fixed. =\
#46 Posted by Trailok (5 posts) -

That picture is disgusting

#47 Posted by Rlan (11 posts) -

To say the first games had a negative connotation is to stay within the GB bubble. The games have gotten very solid reviews last year.

#48 Posted by Rsvaret (47 posts) -

I really enjoyed the first DeathSpank (haven't played the 2nd one yet, but I want to). I really liked how it was a bit less complicated than some other games. I could see why Jeff and other really experienced gamers would want something more involved, but I thought it was really fun and funny. I'm excited to see what The Baconing holds in store for us!

#49 Posted by Chontamenti (153 posts) -
@Leakster said:
I didn't even finish Deathspank the first, I really wanted to like it but it was just so incredibly repetitive that I lost any urge to play it after about 3 hours of playing, if that. So the prospect of a new game is less than exciting to me but maybe they can pull it out.
Same here.
After 2 to 3 hours I had a feeling, that I waste my time with this game. It wasn't satisfying at all!
#50 Posted by Hyperfludd (374 posts) -
@Vito_Raliffe said:
Agreed. Maybe one day it'll come out due to some crazy ass circumstances happening. Eh, who am I kidding. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.