Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 22, 2000

A celebrated cyberpunk-themed first-person role-playing game, Deus Ex puts players behind the shades of JC Denton--an operative thrust into a world of byzantine global conspiracies.

This was what got me started....

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jax

I was in highschool, and this game actually was the first PC game I ever played. Amazing story, such great gameplay and indepth story. Who else thinks that this is quite possibly one of the best story driven games ever?

Evolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Evolution

I don't like it.

Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Cleric
    Evolution said:
    "What game?"

Look at the forum you're in.

By the way, Deus Ex is awesome. It's one of those games that once in a while you might want to reinstall.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By kush

For me it's the best PC game I have ever played. There are a lot of great PC games, but Deus Ex was the one that has stuck with me the most throughout the years. The sequel wasn't the sequel I hoped for, but it was still a good game in my eyes and I'm happy to hear they're making a third. I am a bit nervous though because of the fact that Warren Spector isn't working on the project :(

Avatar image for 45hefvserg 34t34 t3
    45ysdfgsd g35t3t54 3t4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I agree totally. I remember playing this game and thinking "wow if i ever made a game, this is what it would be! ". Absolutely awesome.

FordFairlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By FordFairlane

I remember being amazed by the different paths you could take to achieve you goals.
    I also think it had one of the smartest skill / mod systems I've ever seen.  Rather than being a stat-based system, each skill or modification actually had an in-game effect.  The loader mod made the loading animation faster, the accuracy mod steadied the crosshair as it improved.

I hope Deus Ex 3 moves back toward the first game; the second game was a little too streamlined for me.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By Termite

I wasn't around when it was made, and when I tried to play it like half a year ago the age was catching up with it so I didn't play it much

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Schizoid

Unfortunately I've never played it. I used to have it ages ago but back then I had an Intel graphics card and everything was black so I couldn't see anything. I'll pick it up one of these days, for sure.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gargantuan

Deus Ex is one of the best shooters I've ever played. :D

wazzup987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wazzup987
    FordFairlane said:
    "I remember being amazed by the different paths you could take to achieve you goals.
    I also think it had one of the smartest skill / mod systems I've ever seen.  Rather than being a stat-based system, each skill or modification actually had an in-game effect.  The loader mod made the loading animation faster, the accuracy mod steadied the crosshair as it improved.

I hope Deus Ex 3 moves back toward the first game; the second game was a little too streamlined for me."

me too i didn't like the 2nd game as much i just wasn't as good

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rowr

I didnt have a decent pc at the time of its release unfortunately. Always wanted to know what the fuss was about..

Does this game show its age badly? still considering a purchase on steam, not sure if the graphics are to dated for me to enjoy it.

wazzup987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wazzup987
    Rowr said:
    "I didnt have a decent pc at the time of its release unfortunately. Always wanted to know what the fuss was about..

Does this game show its age badly? still considering a purchase on steam, not sure if the graphics are to dated for me to enjoy it.
    "
    unfortunately it does show its age poorly but theres a hd texture mod to reduce the eye pain no offense its a great game its just old

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Yeah, I bought it on Steam and just couldnt get into it. Sad really.

Abunai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Abunai

I lost track the amount of times I said "Oh no way!" at a plot twist

I loved the first story so much, i've been put off playing the second from everyone saying it is horrendous but I'll look it up one day.

Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Magnum

I loved this game. I even liked the sequel.

Thats funny because this game got me playing games again to. I played NES and SNES then just stopped. After playing Dues Ex I've pretty much been a fiend for the same experience that Dues Ex is and was. It was the first game I played that had adult themes thru out. I love these games now with great stories, fun gameplay and adult themes.
    Kloreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kloreep

Deus Ex is still one of the best gameplay-story blends I've ever played. There are better games regarding each component, but Deus Ex really drew me in like few other games have. I still have amazing memories of trying to decide what to do, who to trust.

When I play Deus Ex and stare down my pistol at an enemy, I think "I have a choice whether to kill... their life is in my hands... and my choice may well have consequences for me too." Maybe this was partly thanks to it catching me at the right time, but still, I think it's a sad statement on "shooters" that few others have evoked this. I like my mindless Locust/Ganado/etc. killing as much as the next gamer, but I'd like some thoughtful games, too.

Rowr
    said:

"I didnt have a decent pc at the time of its release unfortunately. Always wanted to know what the fuss was about..

"

Graphics show age. As does the shooter element of gameplay - bodies sticking out at a right angle to stairs, etc. Of course, if you can put up with this, I think you'll find the RPG element to be just as good as most RPG-shooter hybrids. Better shooter physics are one thing, but I have yet to see anything surpass Deus Ex' skill and augmentation systems for leveling up a character.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.