Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Dota 2 steam group

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CheapPoison
    Props to Solskuga for the image
    Props to Solskuga for the image

So i went ahead and Created a steam group for Dota 2 so we can start gathering players.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GBDota2

Ingame channel

Join us in the Giant Bomb chat channel ingame: GiantBomb

This is a great way to get in touch with people of the community, find some people to play with, ask for advice or set up some games between community members. It might not always get as much response but normally there should be some friendly and helpfull people on there.

Giant Bomb Inhouse games

Before i tried to set these up like once a week, but with the influx of new players it seems better to just let that go and let people just naturally meet up in the Giant Bomb chat in the in-game client.

The limit of 10 people also limits this vs something like Arma where you can set up an event and let 30+ join.

Occasionally something will be scheduled, but i think it is in the best interest of the community that some planned stuff revolves around helping new people, seeing the big influx of new people after the Tnt.

People can still always harass me to maybe make a steam pop up if they like to get something going. Like doing an inhouse, doing ssmething fun, needing a few extra people to fill out an inhouse.

The Giant bomb community teaches the community

To finally get us started with helping out the new people in the community we will stop focussing on inhouses which don't really work anyways onto hopefully setting up events and times where more experienced members of the community can help the newer ones get into the game and improve.
    We will try to have 1 or 2 events per week and from there we will see if we need more or less, depending on how successful it is.

There are a lot of ways we could potentially do this, from bot matches with spectators to 5v5 of new players with coaches watching or matchmaking with coaches watching op playing along.
    We will most likely decide opun this with the people who show up at the moment and it wil ofcourse depend on how many people show up.

Mumble

For the weekly/Bi-weekly inhouse games there is the option to use the ingame voice or the mumble set up for the Giant Bomb Pc Gaming hub.

Mumble.giantbombing.com

Port: 64738

Getting started and potential coaching

It might be a good idea to read up on a basic guide. http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

It covers a bit of everything. Or feel free to hit up some people on the steam group/ingame giant bomb channel.

It might be that some people are interested in help from the community. So the Giant bomb community might be able to get some session going.

There is nothing set up yet but we have been toying with the idea. So to not clutter to this thread here is a separate thread.

Coaching Topic

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By indiefinch

Joined group, would love to play some games with people.

As far as joining the chat channels, do you know of anyway to create / join one other then going properties -> -console then in game have to type chat_join? It is such a pain to get into channels to chat with people or find groups.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By TobbRobb

As soon as I get my well deserved key, I will join!

I WILL HAVE FAITH.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CheapPoison

you have to find it manually then.

there is also a way to add to the config so it auto-joins.

But i don't like messing with that. I bet an auto-join button will be implemented soon enough.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By scarace360

Hey anyone wanna play some dota?

solskugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By solskugga

bump

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Drizzle

I would like to raise awareness for the up and coming LATIFAH clan. A couple of stipulations if you'd like to join:

1) Have to have a movie title that hasn't already been taken (yes taxi 2 is still available

2) Be willing to pause the game just before winning to claim "tosh.o is ok only sometimes"

Contact me,holiday,baby choo, darkwhitehair, or jungle fever if you'd like to join!

(On the real real we've had some fucking epic games, and the amount of hate we get after we win is so satisfying. Plus we use skype, plus-plus everyone needs more latifah in their life, You should probably join)

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By gosukiller

If there are any European dudes on here, you can add my steamaccount: renethetrue.

I tend to play in the evening after 20:00 GMT+1.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By MayorFeedback

I got my invite just last night, but I am 100% completely new to this whole type of game, so none of you probably want me on your team. :)

I have much to learn...

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By phrosnite

@MayorFeedback said:

I got my invite just last night, but I am 100% completely new to this whole type of game, so none of you probably want me on your team. :)

I have much to learn...

You can't even imagine how much you need to learn.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By TheAdmin

I have joined. Yesterday the chat channel in game was pretty empty - and the folks in there were silent. I look forward to playing with you all.

solskugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By solskugga
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zero_

Yeah, let's get some activity up on here! DOTA2's the most active game on Steam right now and it's still in beta, where's mah duders at?

Grand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Grand

Did ya'll ever get a steam group going for Dota2?

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By indiefinch

@Grand said:

Yeah its up. Not sure the activity level for it...I never actually check. Usually just play with people from the GiantBomb chat channel in game.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Grand said:

The group is kind of dead but there are usually a few guys in the Giantbomb channel.

Mageknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Mageknight

We should try to organize more inhouses through the Steam group.

Grand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Grand

Yes please. The Solo Queue is entirely toxic and getting some actual games going might actually be GOOD for the Dota community itself. Lord knows Valve wont do anything. First things first, we need to know how many GiantBomber's actually have beta keys, and get them invited to the steam group. Second, we would need to get the word out to those already in the steam group. I regularly join the in game channel for GiantBomb and I don't even get a response 90% of the time.

dusker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dusker

Hi All. I joined the group on Steam, but have yet to have anyone add me as a friend and I haven't played with a GB person yet. I play 1 or 2 games a day after work at 6 (on east coast time). If anyone plays during that time, friend me on Steam beyond_good_n_evil and we can team up. Thanks!

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@dusker: Add the Giant Bomb chat room to your list.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MAST

@CheapPoison: It'd be cool if we could get some events added. Maybe like a "Newbie Friday" every weekend, or regularly scheduled friend matches, etc. Just a though. /shrug ;)

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I miss Russian appreciation Friday.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@MAST said:

@CheapPoison: It'd be cool if we could get some events added. Maybe like a "Newbie Friday" every weekend, or regularly scheduled friend matches, etc. Just a though. /shrug ;)

That would be awesome.

I'm currently downloading it and quite keen to get balls-deep, but I'll have absolutely no idea what I'm meant to be doing.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OmegaPirate

@Mr_Skeleton: It was russian appreciation yesterday in FULL EFFECT

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CheapPoison

@MAST said:

@GetEveryone said:

@MAST said:

That would be awesome.

I'm currently downloading it and quite keen to get balls-deep, but I'll have absolutely no idea what I'm meant to be doing.

Well, That could be fun.

I'll try and be more active with that.

And time you guys would think would suit you best?

And it might be handy to have someone from the US to also set up times cause if i set up something that would be more focused around EU time.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MAST

@CheapPoison: I'm not sure if what's good for me would be good for everyone else, but most people in the US tend to play a lot Friday/Saturday nights. Something like 7pm ET (GMT - 4:00?).

On a Saturday I'd imagine it would be possible for EU and US people to cross each others paths (ends up being Sunday for the EU people). Not sure what time would be best for that, but I know it happens somewhat regularly with me and my Australian friends. It just depends on how far everyone wants to go in order to have more people to mingle with.

Grand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Grand

OK I'm necroing this forum, because Valve handed out tons of new keys in the last 2 months so it's safe to say a LOT of GiantBombers probably have keys. That and I got probably my most difficult semester in college for a while out of the way, so I actually have time to mentor and stuff.  We absolutely need to get the steam group organized and have such.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rattle618

Just search for GiantBomb on the ingame chat and stay in it! you will find people to play with.  

EDIT:  Success! We just played a few matches and had a lot of fun, this post will most likely get updated and it should be a sticky. 
    I hope one of you pros streams it out next time so I can start becoming famous.

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm down! I hope the guys had fun tonight. I forgot stun nuking isn't so interesting to play against, especially when you are new.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Adidad the off brand shoe company in Guam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.