Is Valve STEALING character designs for Dota 2?

• 90 results
#1 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Honestly, and I can say this from the bottom of my heart, I'm shocked, appalled even. I thought we were over this, I thought people had learned by now. And to see this from such a well respected developer, Valve of all people.

Sickening is the only word to describe it, and even that isn't sufficient to truly tell this tale of human depravity and an absolute lack of any moral or professional fiber behind this most heinous of acts.

My friends, Valve Software, creators of Portal and Garry's Mod, have stolen character designs for their upcoming beta, Dota 2, from none other than the biggest video game publisher in the world, Activision Blizzard.

If you're going to just so blatantly rip something off Vavle, at least try to steal from someone who can't sue your ass into the ground. My only guess as to why this hasn't come up in the news yet is the heads of Activision are hard at work writing up the most devastating law suit they possibly can as we speak.

But as I've already said, words just aren't enough. Pictures are the only thing capable or shedding the truth on this most awful and unspeakable of atrocities. Look here friends, look and see true evil at its finest.

Tidehunter Hero vs Original
Goblin Techies Hero vs Original
Skeleton King Hero vs Original
Treant Protector Hero vs Original
Tiny Hero vs Original
Zeus Hero vs Original
Clinkz Hero vs Original
Bounty Hunter Hero vs Original
Broodmother Hero vs Original

Witch Doctor Hero vs Original

And this is just the tip of the iceberg friends. I encourage you all to find and post more comparisons like these, there are dozens, and spread the word so these crimes against creativity can come to light.

#2 Edited by EXTomar (4843 posts) -

They are archtypes because it is based upon the mod for Warcraft 3. How many different ways can you present a skeletal monster? I suppose in tribute of April 1st I would recommend one put a pink bow on its head to be complete different.

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@extomar said:

They are archtypes because it is based upon the mod for Warcraft 3. How many different ways can you present a skeletal monster? I suppose in tribute of April 1st I would recommend one put a pink bow on its head to be complete different.

That's just hippie nonsense. If they wanted to use the same exact characters they should have asked permission like normal people.

#4 Posted by crithon (3322 posts) -

actually there's about a 60% you can copyright another character design. This is more common practice with comic book, toys and animation characters and there is still law suits which have gone on for decades. Like for example HeMan is in this weird state of who created it, even when originally was suppose to be toy line for Conan the Barbarian movie.

When you deal with people trying to create their own stuff, they barrow a lot.

#5 Edited by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -

The only way this makes sense is if you live in Hawaii

#6 Posted by ds8k (414 posts) -

Oh, right.

#7 Posted by TheHT (11521 posts) -

OH KNO GABEN WHY YO CRUMBLE THE FORTUNE YO STELIN FROM COWADOODIE

#8 Posted by llamaegg (228 posts) -

Bravo, bravo.

#9 Posted by jakob187 (21691 posts) -

Have I ever stated how much I hate the art direction on DOTA 2 and Heroes of Newerth? I still feel like League of Legends is about 100 times more original.

#10 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Garry made Garry's Mod

#11 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

April Fools?

#12 Posted by Cheesebob (1243 posts) -

FOLLOW THE MONEY

#13 Edited by Subjugation (4725 posts) -

Pretty sure this is where we say "April fools!", otherwise this thread is pretty dumb.

#14 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

APRIL TROLLLLS

#15 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Garry made Garry's Mod

Wow I thought Valve made it.

This goes deeper than I even though, how much shit have they just blatantly ripped off?

#16 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -
#17 Edited by Slaegar (726 posts) -

Valve can give back their Dota characters after Blizzard gives Games Workshop back almost all of Warcraft and Starcraft.

#18 Edited by Abendlaender (2837 posts) -

I guess this is supposed to be a joke.

@officegamer said:

Garry made Garry's Mod

Wow I thought Valve made it.

This goes deeper than I even though, how much shit have they just blatantly ripped off?

Well, they didn't make Counterstrike and Tam Fortress. Portal started as a different game I believe and isn't Left4Dead based on a Mod? So there you go

#19 Posted by llamaegg (228 posts) -

@slaegar said:

Valve can give back their Dota characters after Blizzard gives Games Workshop back almost all of Warcraft and Starcraft.

Blizzard can give Games Workshop back Starcraft once Games Workshop returns Zerg, I whoops I mean tyranid.

#20 Edited by Slaegar (726 posts) -

@llamaegg said:

@slaegar said:

Blizzard can give Games Workshop back Starcraft once Games Workshop returns Zerg, I whoops I mean tyranid.

"Tyranids were first mentioned under the heading Tyranids and the Hive Fleets in Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader"

"Second Edition Warhammer 40,000, released in 1993, featured the Tyranids in the supplemental books Wargear and Codex Imperialis, and then later in their own devoted army Codex. An extensive model range was released, representing most of the units described in these publications. The army was, however, very different from the factions previously seen in the game.[5]

The Tyranid player now had access to a range of unit types roughly equivalent to that of the other factions, including the Hive Tyrant, Termagants, Hormagaunts, the main adversary in Space Hulk Genestealers, Gargoyles previously seen in Epic 40,000, Tyranid Warriors, the Carnifex, Zoanthropes (a Tyranid psyker in addition to the Hive Tyrant), Lictors, and the Biovore."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_cruise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_balls

"StarCraft is a military science fiction real-time strategy video game developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment and released for Microsoft Windows on March 31, 1998."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_trek

#21 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Has Valve do other than Half Life!?.. everything they've done is buy popular mods. Maybe its just me but I don't associate Valve with creativity, they excellent doing business thou.

Actually DOTA 2 looks so Blizzard I personally find it kind of lame.. but hey Valve gets a free pass because gaben and steam sales right!?

#22 Posted by llamaegg (228 posts) -

@slaegar said:

@llamaegg said:

@slaegar said:

"Tyranids were first mentioned under the heading Tyranids and the Hive Fleets in Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader"

"blahblahblah

Yes, they existed before Starcraft, but the Warhammer model changed after Starcraft came out, making them look closer to what Starcraft had to offer.

#23 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

This is dumb.

You're dumb.

#24 Posted by captain_max707 (492 posts) -

The Broodmother comparison leads me to believe that he is trolling.

#26 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

The Broodmother comparison leads me to believe that he is trolling.

There's also Zeus, where the 'original' is just an unoriginal Zeus design that doesn't really look like the Dota 2 one. I thought it was funny in any case

#27 Edited by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

I know the thread is a joke but i didn't find it funny. Not even close.

#28 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@pr1mus: Your input is appreciated.

#29 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Games Workshop gon' be so mad.

#30 Edited by psylah (2181 posts) -
@jrinswand said:

April Fools?

This whole thread is an April Fools Joke! Haha!

Speaking of April Fools, remember when Penny Arcade's Karapyss the Crabomancer was teased as being added to Rise of Immortals on April 1st last year?

And they actually did it?

#31 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
#32 Posted by AlexW00d (6303 posts) -

Do people still not see the name LordXavierBritish and realise it's not a serious topic? I've not even been here a whole bunch of time and I know that.

#33 Edited by TAFAE (152 posts) -

@jakob187 LoL art always felt really soulless to me, like badly drawn anime. Not quite as bad as something like BlazBlue, but I never really liked it. Dota2 has a sort of fairy quality that really appeals to me. To each his own I guess. I agree on HoN though, that game looks turrible, both technically and artistically.

#34 Edited by Bremmy (15 posts) -

Coincidence? I don't think so.

#35 Edited by casper_ (907 posts) -

i don't know about you guys but i will not stand for this.

#36 Posted by Branthog (5583 posts) -

Where is my fucking GabeN hero that specializes in blades and is a awesome looking bearded polo-shirted model absolutely covered with all sorts of knives?

#37 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

At first I was confused as fuck, but then I got it.

Nicely done.

#38 Posted by StarvingGamer (8376 posts) -

Normally I'd think this was some dumb April fools gag gone awry, but coming from you, I honestly am not sure.

#39 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@donpixel said:

Actually DOTA 2 looks so Blizzard I personally find it kind of lame.. but hey Valve gets a free pass because gaben and steam sales right!?

What do you mean it looks so Blizzard?

BLIZZARD. DID. NOT. MAKE. DOTA.

Some of the people that were behind for the original Dota are working on Dota 2. It's great they are part of it.

You best be trolling sonny.

#40 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1811 posts) -

Maybe it's just me, but I always thought the key component to a good joke is that it is actually funny, shows what I know.

#41 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@sooty said:

@donpixel said:

What do you mean it looks so Blizzard?

BLIZZARD. DID. NOT. MAKE. DOTA.

Some of the people that were behind for the original Dota are working on Dota 2. It's great they are part of it.

You best be trolling sonny.

I KNOW BLIZZARD DID NOT MAKE DOTA, I played dota in WC3, I play aeon of storms and Hero Attack in SC2... NO NEED to be a douche.

I'm just saying for the visual style I would expect a World Class company such as Valve to come out with something a bit more imaginative than a WC3 art style rip off for DOTA 2

As for creative merit goes I think what League of Legends did was far more imaginative and clever than what Valve did with DOTA 2, numbers don't lie. They updated the core design behind DOTA to become arguably the most popular videogame in the world, While Valve just did DOTA (again) with rip off art on the source engine. BTW some of the people behind DOTA are also working on LOL.

Disclaimer: I don't hate valve, I don't hate gaben, I think they provide a great service with steam.. but as for videogames they have do nothing but rip off / buyout the most popular mods out there.

#42 Edited by RPGee (759 posts) -
#43 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Oh LXB, what we do without you?

#44 Edited by Slag (4615 posts) -

This a Konspiracy that goes all the way up the president

#45 Posted by ajamafalous (12035 posts) -

I think this would've been actually funny if you had posted it not on April 1st.

#46 Posted by RonGalaxy (3222 posts) -

Oh, you mean all of those entities that have existed in many other forms over the years? It's like saying they stole the idea of goblins (which is one of your examples). Also, they didn't steal assets, so this is a pointless post. Also, April fools troll?

#47 Edited by Dacnomaniac (442 posts) -
#48 Edited by kpaadet (410 posts) -

Valve is like Blizzard in that they both do not possess a shred of creativity, they both do however know how to make well polished games.

#49 Edited by zenmastah (947 posts) -

I'll get me pitchforks and stat the fires up.

#50 Posted by Village_Guy (2636 posts) -

I'll bring the Party Cannon, let's burn those motherfuckers down, yeah!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.