Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Valve Swerves on Dota 2 Plans, You'll Get to Play Soon

• 96 results
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By valrog

Still waiting for that Left 4 Dead 3...

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By djaoni

@Tahlo said:

As much as I'm turned off by the communities surrounding these types of games, I'm still really excited to play this.

Just ignore the vermin. If you take it personal from all the trolls and kids then you're gonna have a hard time getting into these kinds of games, but they're some of the most fun and competitive(the reason people rage so much) games there are.

People are really missing out if they don't play them just because of the (many) rotten eggs of the community.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

"They can release screenshots, make movies, shoutcast matches, write guides, publicly make fun of our HUD, or anything else their hearts desire. They can also reverse-engineer the code right away, giving them enough time to create devious bots, hacks and cracks long before the release proper."

admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By admanb

@djaoni said:

@Tahlo said:

As much as I'm turned off by the communities surrounding these types of games, I'm still really excited to play this.

Just ignore the vermin. If you take it personal from all the trolls and kids then you're gonna have a hard time getting into these kinds of games, but they're some of the most fun and competitive(the reason people rage so much) games there are.

People are really missing out if they don't play them just because of the (many) rotten eggs of the community.

Honestly, I feel like the reputation of the community is exaggerated. These types of people exist in equal quantities in MMOs and FPSs as they do in LoL/HoN/Dota. It's just that their behavior is more focused due to the nature of the Dota genre. The way you deal with them is still /ignore and move on.

95% of my games of LoL have no bad behavior, and I expect the same experience when I dip into Dota 2.

admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By admanb

@atomic_dumpling said:

"They can release screenshots, make movies, shoutcast matches, write guides, publicly make fun of our HUD, or anything else their hearts desire. They can also reverse-engineer the code right away, giving them enough time to create devious bots, hacks and cracks long before the release proper."

... and Valve will have an equal amount of time to build countermeasures against bots and hacks.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By white

That's how HoN did it - pretty much an open Beta (albeit it's invite-only but it's really easy to get in it) for a significantly long time until it's "official" release.

laugurinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By laugurinn

This is the Dwarf Fortress/Minecraft model. Which is great.

Tahlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Tahlo

@djaoni said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I actively play and continue to enjoy LoL and have played DotA and HoN for no insignificant amount of time. I guess my point isn't that I can't get into these games because of the bad apples. It's more that I'm slightly bummed by the idea that it's very likely that this game will have a similar player mindset and chat manners as the ones before.

Come on guys, have fun!

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By avidwriter

Good on them. A year in beta? WTF thats insane.

Jokers_Wild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Jokers_Wild

@TzarStefan: HoN, may it rest in peace, was made by an indie dev who tried to break into a niche genre with a big dev price point. Valve is top tier. Riot Games and their lackluster product, infested with bugs and imbalances, can't compete. Go ahead though, enjoy Dominion like the rest of the add teens who cant focus on things for more than 15 minutes.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@fisk0 said:

Don't care at all about the game, but I hope they make the engine easy to license like they did with the Source engine, I'd love to see more and proper RTSes using this engine.

...but it's using the Source engine.

Squinty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Squinty

I doubt I will actually like this but i want to try it so bad.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63  Edited By Dustpan

Super excited to try the beta out, sighed up for it as soon as the option was available.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By zaglis

@JokerSmilez:

People that made Counter Strike/Team Fortress/Portal/Left 4 Dead/Half Life are STILL making Counter Strike/Team Fortress/Portal/Left 4 Dead/Half Life and helping with any current projects. So I dont even know what are you getting at here.

As long as a game is released by Valve, I and couple other million people know, that it is going to be a fantastic video game.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#65  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@BabyChooChoo said:

@fisk0 said:

Don't care at all about the game, but I hope they make the engine easy to license like they did with the Source engine, I'd love to see more and proper RTSes using this engine.

...but it's using the Source engine.

Wow, then the engine is even more flexible than I thoughht.

RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By RLLink

Looking at these comments, I can see LoL fans are still as stupid as they always have been. Hey, at least them saying "DOTA2 will fail" means they won't be joining on DOTA2, which also means less stupidity. Fuck yeah.

gouldgonewild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By gouldgonewild

I can't tell if signing up for the list is even doing anything. It just takes me back to the DOTA 2 blog.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Azteck

You know what? I'll still stick with League of Legends. I prefer the way it plays

@RLLink said:

Looking at these comments, I can see LoL fans are still as stupid as they always have been. Hey, at least them saying "DOTA2 will fail" means they won't be joining on DOTA2, which also means less stupidity. Fuck yeah.

Practice what you preach. You don't like the game, that's fine, but don't call people names because they do. Capiche?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Azteck

@Binarynova said:

@Azteck said:

You know what? I'll still stick with League of Legends. I prefer the way it plays

But... you don't even know how DOTA2 plays. And it'll be free to download so why not try it and then know for sure?

Well yes, it's true I don't know how it plays exactly but from what I've seen, and heard, it sounds like it'll play very similarly to the orignial DoTA, which I'm not too fond of. That said I will try it out, definitely, but from what I've heard it feels like I'll still prefer LoL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@KuribosShoe

Swerve! It's like Vince Russo works at Valve now!

After the most shocking swerve and the ultimate swerve, it appears Valve has constructed some sort of quantum omniswerve!
    indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By indiefinch

@Azteck said:

Well yes, it's true I don't know how it plays exactly but from what I've seen, and heard, it sounds like it'll play very similarly to the orignial DoTA, which I'm not too fond of. That said I will try it out, definitely, but from what I've heard it feels like I'll still prefer LoL.

Icefrog has said the goal of DotA 2 is just to recreate DotA 1. Essentially they have pushed the War3 engine to the end, with DotA 2 they will have a platform to expand upon. It will be an extremely different game then LoL, but there is no reason that they both can't thrive.

RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By RLLink

@Azteck said:

@RLLink said:

Practice what you preach. You don't like the game, that's fine, but don't call people names because they do. Capiche?

Did I anger you, sir? :3 Not my fault they act like general douchebags. Hell, they're the main reason I uninstalled "league of legends" in under 5 actual minutes of playtime. I don't care if they like some pretty meh game, doesn't change the fact they act like idiots.

Just sayin'.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Azteck

@RLLink said:

@Azteck said:

@RLLink said:

Did I anger you, sir? :3 Not my fault they act like general douchebags. Hell, they're the main reason I uninstalled "league of legends" in under 5 actual minutes of playtime. I don't care if they like some pretty meh game, doesn't change the fact they act like idiots.

Just sayin'.

Not angry whatsoever over here. And I will openly admit that the LoL community, like with all MOBA games (including DoTA and eventually DoTA2), is atrocious at best. That said, it doesn't instantly mean that the game is bad. My reason for quoting you was because you seemed to put all LoL players under the same category, which is far from correct. I've met a lot of cool people that I play with quite regularly that live miles away from here.

I do ask you, though, to respect other people's taste as they do with yours because from what I've seen so far, no one's called this game out or called it bad in any way. Some people like one thing, others like other, it's the way of life.

Cheers.

@IndieFinch said:

@Azteck said:

Icefrog has said the goal of DotA 2 is just to recreate DotA 1. Essentially they have pushed the War3 engine to the end, with DotA 2 they will have a platform to expand upon. It will be an extremely different game then LoL, but there is no reason that they both can't thrive.

I definitely think that both games will still have an extremely strong userbase, since (as you say) they will be very different games.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#75  Edited By Bouke

I watched most of the Dota 2 gamescom tournament with commentary and signed up for the beta right away. Even though i never actually played Dota or games like League of Legends, i´m still pretty excited for this game (or beta) to come out, so i can try it for myself.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ArcLyte

fuck yes valve nails it once again. never new how much fun the MOBA genre was until i played LoL, so i am incredibly excited for dota 2.

Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Simulacrum
    @Jokers_Wild said:

@TzarStefan: HoN, may it rest in peace, was made by an indie dev who tried to break into a niche genre with a big dev price point. Valve is top tier. Riot Games and their lackluster product, infested with bugs and imbalances, can't compete. Go ahead though, enjoy Dominion like the rest of the add teens who cant focus on things for more than 15 minutes.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Neonie

@zaglis said:

@Frostmane said:

But why not just play League of Legends? They are in the process of rolling out a new game mode and it doesn't look like as super generic as DotA2 does? Also it actually iterates on the original in new and interesting ways (brush, no deny, etc, etc)

Totally brah. That unreleased game from Valve (makers of indie hits like Counter Strike, Half Life and Team Fortress) is totally way, way worse than a game that has been out for for years and has had many new content updates and patches.

...UGH. FUCKING INTERNET.

Valve didn't make Country Strike or Team Fortress, they hired the people who did make it. Also just because a game has been out longer does not give the game coming out the right to be worse then the game that has been out longer. If the game coming out can't compete with the game that's been out, then the game coming out is still a worse game.

Slaneesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Slaneesh

@avidwriter said:

Good on them. A year in beta? WTF thats insane.

Its basically, "Hey wanna try our game for free for a year and help make it better?"

No matter what one thinks of the game that is super awsome sauce with chilli on the side

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#80  Edited By infestedandy

@Azteck: League of Legends had and still has a lot of great ideas, but unfortunately that game has some incredibly ridiculous problems. Riot is constantly breaking champions and/or never fixes the ones that absolutely need it for months on end. The rune system is terribly contrived and lackluster plus it only took them over two years to make Draft Mode available in normal. Now that's stupid.

Maybe if they focused on not rolling out a new champion every two weeks we'd have more balanced gameplay. I grew tired of seeing Gangplank, Tryndamere and Nocturne in every friggin' game. DOTA 2 will be a tougher game to initially enter, but I think it'll have a much greater payoff.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Azteck

@infestedandy: Why do people keep bringing this up? Not once did I say that LoL is flawless, or that DoTA2 will suck, so why do people keep pretending like I did? Yes, it's unbalanced in a lot of places but I still like the game. Why can't people just accept that people have different tastes?

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#82  Edited By MaddProdigy

I love Valve, and they make some sweet games and do some cool stuff with Steam. But where the fuck is Half Life 3? Seriously, will they ever do it?

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By zaglis

@Neonie:

-Valve hires the people that made CS/TF

-People who made CS/TF are now Valve employees

-The hired Valve employees with other Valve employees make more CS/TF

Makes total sense, right?

Also, I thought the ''FUCKING INTERNET'' was a good indicator that my post was a joke reply.

ProtoCosmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ProtoCosmos

I think DOTA 2 is an unfair move by Valve to the MOBA community. We are already split between three high quality titles with DOTA, HON and LOL and now we are expected to endure yet another of many additions to the genre. Valve will try and win us over with the DOTA trademark and the promise of $1 000 000 cash prizes (On a game in beta? LOL) and while I'm glad to see companies supported high end eSports I'm tired of having to buy new games to keep up with the community. Undoubtably DOTA 2 will do well, even if just for it's polish and namesake, HON will be the game that suffers the most, because it is the most true to the original DOTA and already has relatively lower numbers. While League of Legends really isn't DOTA at all, not even the same calibre but has a way larger casual playerbase that will survive. I think it's just unfortunate that as much as I say I would like to avoid DOTA 2, due to my playgroup wanting to expand and the hype toward 'DOTA's true sequel' we'll all end up jumping ship. Normally I would say it's part of the evolution of gaming, but Valve is really just using an already proven formula because they know they can steal the numbers. I guess all I can ask is that they keep DOTA 2 a high calibre game that appeals to the hardcore moreso than League. I know there's high end pro tier tournaments, but the general style and layout of the game just totally caters to people who aren't very good. (Fast leveling, no denying, easy farm).

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#85  Edited By Majkiboy

OK so they had a million dollar tournament.. only to have the game being released more than a year after this publicity stunt? .. IMHO not very well spent money.

EDIT: I guess they see the "beta" as a launch.. But will they have micro-transaction options ready in the beta?

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#86  Edited By MeatSim

I certainly like there new plan over the original plan.

Avatar image for glitchndasystem
    GlitchNDaSystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By GlitchNDaSystem

I guess I could fiddle around with this while waiting for the free portal 2 DLC that valve has been promising us...

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#88  Edited By phrosnite

There are currently about 600 people in the beta and people are saying up to 100 at a time so... Valve needs to be more generous with the keys if they want the game balanced and "bug free" sooner.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will continue to not care and play League of Legends.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#90  Edited By phrosnite

@President_Barackbar said:

I will continue to not care and play League of Legends.

The DotA and HoN players thank you for that.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#91  Edited By xymox

Honestly, the MOBA community as a whole is awful. Unless you're playing with friends.

HoN was super-competitive and just stressfull (and soooo horny about stats, even if I only play support, they whined and kicked me before I even got to play sometimes, even though *my team* wins and *my team* does well when I play. HoN = horny for KDR. And LoL?! In LoL people play co-op against bots on Beginner level difficulty, and call their team mates noobs and other names, probably because they get abused by their moms and need an outlet for all that pent up anger that resides inside them. But at least LoL has a bot only option, so you can stay away from idiots, because honestly, bots standing around in base spinning around in a circle = much more enjoyable team mate.

Mcbrownies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Mcbrownies

As excited as i am for Dota 2 i just hope the noob smashing will be kept to a minimum, my self esteem was smashed into tiny fucking shards of shame and ridicule since Dota

Goodfeelings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Goodfeelings

Although I'm excited about DOTA2 and will probably be playing plenty of it, I think they're a little late to the party. League of Legends has already taken over the genre and started the much anticipated next step of bringing new game types to the table. Not to mention their constant release of new heroes and the free to play structure. Some of the things I do miss are some of the heroes, the ability to deny (much missed actually), and town portal scrolls; but honestly LoL's use of 'summoner abilities' kind of offsets that to some degree.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By raiz265

So... Is it still not "soon"? :(

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By raiz265

still waaaaiiiitiiiinnngggg ;(

Jokers_Wild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Jokers_Wild
    Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Tomkang

If you like LoL, play LoL

If you like HoN play HoN

let me and others enjoy Dota 2, it really doesn't need any LoL or HoN players to move across because of the amount of people that still play Dota around the world far exceeds both games

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.