Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Double Fine Productions, Inc.

Company »

Led by famed game designer Tim Schafer, Double Fine Productions, Inc. is an American game developer responsible for Psychonauts and Brütal Legend. Microsoft Game Studios acquired Double Fine in 2019.

Can people who donated $100 make their own wiki page?

• 82 results
    Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

I contributed $110, don't care either way. It'll be neat if I do end up with a page, but that wasn't my motivation for giving them cash.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By FlarePhoenix

I don't know... it seems kind of desperate if you ask me. I mean, what else are you going to put in the Wiki Entry? Besides, you donated $100... sorry to sound harsh, but that really does not make you special. It would be a shame if the site got cluttered with these meaningless pages.

In my opinion, to qualify for a Wiki Entry you should have to have a serious legitimate role in the Games Industry, whether that be Designer, Developer, Publisher, Professional Reviewer. Giving out $100... sorry, but that just doesn't cut it for me.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By Fallen189

Its hideously self serving

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#54  Edited By Legend

Some of you guys are assuming that all the 11,000+ backers who pledged more than $100 will come here and make their own pages. I'm pretty sure only a small number will actually do this (50 to 200 people at most).

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By rollingzeppelin
    @Legend
    Some of you guys are assuming that all the 11,000+ backers who pledged more than $100 will come here and make their own pages. I'm pretty sure only a small number will actually do this (50 to 200 people at most).
    This. Also, just let them do it, no one in their right mind will give a shit, and people that do are either incredibly petty or pathetically jealous.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56  Edited By Hailinel

@Jethuty said:

@Hailinel said:

@ShaggE said:

I'm credited in a Telltale game, but I'd just feel weird putting up a page for myself.

I admit that I created my own page due to a couple of small games I'm credited in, but I refuse to link to it or otherwise hint at it. There's nothing on it save my name, the games, and the barest of information.

dude really? come on...

I'm not sure what your problem is.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ch3burashka

Even if you could, that's incredibly egotistical and pointless - donating money doesn't make you important by itself.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#58  Edited By Marino  Staff

A lot of you are still failing to comprehend that "important" doesn't matter. Again, it's a database. The goal should be to document everything.

And the "clutter" argument is hilarious to me. As if you're going to stumble over someone's page preventing you from getting where you wanted to go.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@Marino said:

A lot of you are still failing to comprehend that "important" doesn't matter. Again, it's a database. The goal should be to document everything.

And the "clutter" argument is hilarious to me. As if you're going to stumble over someone's page preventing you from getting where you wanted to go.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I wasn't saying the people who donated shouldn't be documented in some way; just that an individual wiki page for each person seems a tad unnecessary. Something like a list on a single page documenting all the people who donated seems far more appropiate. However, it seems like an individual page for those who want it is the way it's going to be, and it's not like the world is going to end because of that fact, so I'm just going to move on.

One question though: how are you going to verify the person making the page actually appeared in the credits of the game? What's stopping me from going "yeah, I'm totally (insert name that appeared on the credits here)"?

dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@FlarePhoenix said:

One question though: how are you going to verify the person making the page actually appeared in the credits of the game? What's stopping me from going "yeah, I'm totally (insert name that appeared on the credits here)"?

Given that this is a database I would imagine that someone would create all 11000 pages regardless of their input and put a simple "This person contributed to the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter fund." message on there. If a person specifically wanted to edit their own page then references would be required under current wiki rules, right ?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Marino  Staff

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Marino said:

As a wiki that anyone in the world can edit, we already operate on a certain level of trust in the people that decide to contribute to it. I'm sure there are falsehoods and errors scattered throughout the wiki right at this moment, but there are also some dedicated members of the site that seek out those discrepancies in order to correct them. We even have an entire forum for it.

Secondly, who cares if a user claims to be one of the real names listed in the credits? What good or bad comes of that do either way? The wiki page for the person in the credits shouldn't point to any particular user's profile on the site anyway.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Marino  Staff

@dekkadekkadekka: We don't really have references like you find at the bottom of Wikipedia pages.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@Marino said:

But whats the point of the database/wiki when its just a blank page with a name on it? whats the purpose of that?

@Hailinel said:

@Jethuty said:

@Hailinel said:

@ShaggE said:

I'm credited in a Telltale game, but I'd just feel weird putting up a page for myself.

I admit that I created my own page due to a couple of small games I'm credited in, but I refuse to link to it or otherwise hint at it. There's nothing on it save my name, the games, and the barest of information.

dude really? come on...

No offense, but i think its pretty pathetic.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64  Edited By Hailinel

@Jethuty said:

@Marino said:

But whats the point of the database/wiki when its just a blank page with a name on it? whats the purpose of that?

@Hailinel said:

@Jethuty said:

@Hailinel said:

@ShaggE said:

dude really? come on...

No offense, but i think its pretty pathetic.

I'm credited in two games. If you must know, my role in both was as a tester. Therefore, I have a legitimate claim to having a page in the wiki. Also, do you know how many Person pages still exist that were created during the initial wiki construction that don't have any data in them? Any Person page created to give credit to a Kickstarter contributor would undoubtedly already have more information on them than a lot of obscure Person credits that don't even have any games attached to them yet.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By NickL

@Jethuty said:

Naa.

Being in the "thank you" credits for guitar hero is the only reason why jeff and ryan have their own pages, if it is done similarly in this game then I think it is only fair... Not that anyone would ever go to your page...

(I didn't donate 100 so i didn't say this just cause I want a page)

edit: I'm not arguing about how I think it should be done, I'm arguing about how it IS done.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Marino  Staff

@Jethuty said:

The point is to be a complete database. It's pretty simple.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By droop

I hope not. The staff deserves to be in the database even if it is just a special thank you.

No want to read about John Smith with a neck beard. It serves no purpose. Not even to document everything, it is just useless clutter and waste of space.

dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#68  Edited By dvdhaus

This thread is getting kind of ridiculous. Why do those people who say it is not a good idea think there should be a minimum requirement? It makes no sense. Like Marino was saying, it might be the backers that are the most important part of this game. If you limit a database which is what Giant Bomb is then what is the point of Giant Bomb? A database is meant for data, regardless if it is one sentence or a million. The ultimate goal and the staff would probably agree is a reliable data source for gaming history. To all those that want to limit the database...What was your position on SOPA and PIPA, because it sounds like you were all for it trying to limit the database(internet). I know I barely post on the threads, but felt the need to speak my mind here. The staff felt that the credits pages on all games should be improved on the internet. Whether it was here or elsewhere. A couple times in Jeff's Jar-time videos or on Formspring he gets asked what he would like to see improved and he mentions game credits. Now if you'll excuse me I'll go back to my lurking around the site.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#69  Edited By cornbredx

What? Clutter? Do you people know how wiki's work haha- or modern databases for that matter. What clutter exactly? 

I guess we should remove 7th Levels page, you guys. No one remembers them anyway and their wiki page is blank. 

Ok. Ridiculous example someone will say. They made games (15 of which are known to Giantbombs wiki I believe but I think they made more then that- cant remember at the moment). Well, several thousand people put down money for this game that isn't made yet to get the game made. That technically makes them an important part of the development of that game. If you're in the credits, you can have a page. "Pathetic" or not. 

I still don't want one even though I will be in the credits, but I don't see the harm in others having one if they are credited in the game (if they want). You'll never see it anyway.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Lukeweizer

@Marino: Sorry, I haven't read much of this thread but I was wondering if there will be an official statement regarding these donator pages eventually?

Also, would it be easier to make a "Double Fine Adventure Donators" page and list everyone, then link it to the game page? So people don't have to worry about thousands of individual pages?

@Droop said:

I hope not. The staff deserves to be in the database even if it is just a special thank you.

No want to read about John Smith with a neck beard. It serves no purpose. Not even to document everything, it is just useless clutter and waste of space.

If it wasn't for these "John Smith with a neck beard", the game wouldn't have been made. We're being thanked in the credits, and to a lesser extent, a part of a historical moment in gaming.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#71  Edited By ZombiePie

@Lukeweizer: A staff verdict on the issue will occur when the game actually comes out or when other games that use Kickstarter and credits persons who make donations in their game. If it's some sort of blanket "And Thank You to All Our Donors!" then no one gets a page. So waiting to see how donors are dealt with in credits is really what's going to determine how things play out so until then avoid creating any special pages or catch all concept pages right now.

dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@Marino: But if, for example, I were to edit Cliff Blezinski's page to say that as part of the Gears of War 3 advertising campaign he punched out 100 toddlers dressed as locust while screaming "AH COME ON!" in Marcus Fenix style, that would be rejected on the grounds of inaccuracy right?

My point is that there isn't a reference section at the bottom of each entry, but that entry should be truthful, so how do you determine the truth if people on these forums do want to link their profiles to their contributions?

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@ZombiePie said:

@Lukeweizer: A staff verdict on the issue will occur when the game actually comes out or when other games that use Kickstarter and credits persons who make donations in their game. If it's some sort of blanket "And Thank You to All Our Donors!" then no one gets a page. So waiting to see how donors are dealt with in credits is really what's going to determine how things play out so until then avoid creating any special pages or catch all concept pages right now.

I think Tim Schafer said somewhere (Twitter maybe?) that their current plans are to have a special credits section for donors, one that will be sortable or searchable somehow.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@dvdhaus said:

To all those that want to limit the database...What was your position on SOPA and PIPA, because it sounds like you were all for it trying to limit the database(internet).

Hey, do you think it was a good thing Hitler died... THEN YOU ARE AN EVIL PERSON WHO BELIEVES EVERYONE SHOULD DIE!!!!!

See, I can make ridiculous arguments with no real merit as well... it's not that hard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dvdhaus said:

This thread is getting kind of ridiculous. Why do those people who say it is not a good idea think there should be a minimum requirement? It makes no sense. Like Marino was saying, it might be the backers that are the most important part of this game. If you limit a database which is what Giant Bomb is then what is the point of Giant Bomb? A database is meant for data, regardless if it is one sentence or a million. The ultimate goal and the staff would probably agree is a reliable data source for gaming history. To all those that want to limit the database...What was your position on SOPA and PIPA, because it sounds like you were all for it trying to limit the database(internet). I know I barely post on the threads, but felt the need to speak my mind here. The staff felt that the credits pages on all games should be improved on the internet. Whether it was here or elsewhere. A couple times in Jeff's Jar-time videos or on Formspring he gets asked what he would like to see improved and he mentions game credits. Now if you'll excuse me I'll go back to my lurking around the site.

But just having a name with no info isnt useful. Just having a database for the sake of having one is stupid. I mean, what purpose does it serve that "john doe12123123" have his name in the credits, with no info whatsoever after that? filling up a database with unuseable and useless info, just for the sake of it is stupid.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By abdo

As Jeff said on the podcast: we'll have to wait and see what the game's credits look like when it comes out, but for now just be patient.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By NekuSakuraba

How can you clutter a wiki? Don't you have to either specifically search for that page, be linked to it or mentioned in the ''credits'' section on the games wiki page?

It isn't like you are going to be trying to get to a specific games wiki page and be all like ''OH DAMMIT, THERE ARE BACKER NAMES EVERYWHERE.''

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By BisonHero

@ZombiePie said:

Is the staff going to give a verdict when the Double Fine game comes out, specifically? I ask because the Double Fine game is supposedly going to be released in October 2012 according to their Kickstarter page, but the game FTL: Faster Than Light is also putting the names of Kickstarter backers in their credits, and that game comes out in August 2012 (according to their Kickstarter page).

It makes me wonder if this is a recent trend in Kickstarter funded games, or if there are finished games already in the wiki that have done the "backers names in credits" thing.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#79  Edited By xpgamer7

Should allow you to once you're in the credits. I couldn't afford it but I'd love to have the "Mysterious" Xpgamer7 as a listed wiki page.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#80  Edited By WinterSnowblind

If these guys get one, I want one for being in the Tales of Monkey Island credits :(

But no, I think it's a totally unnecessary waste of space.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By abdo

@WinterSnowblind:You have every right to be listed in the wiki, if you want it done then just message me with the details.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Funkydupe

:*( I'd read a wiki on mutant baboons. But..b..but *cry*

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.