Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

Concept Art and More Info on Customization

• 135 results
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#51  Edited By musubi

@N7 said:

@Demoskinos: I beat Origins like a week ago, and yeah, it was fucking crazy. Depending on if the secret companion lives or dies, who kills him, if you recruit him, of you are a lady and get with Alistair and become queen.

It was pretty awesome though.

REALLY interested in seeing how they carry all of those possibilities into the DA3. How the hell does meeting up with the Warden work if she's the queen? But really, I guess that wouldn't end up mattering much since you are in a country on the other side of the world.

All I want is to see my bros and broettes so I can know what they've been doing. Also my old player characters. If I could see Hawke team up with the Warden team up in a Hulk Hogan/Macho Man Randy Savage tagteam of proportions that don't yet exist, I will be sold a thousand times over.

I really think they have to have Hawke back in this game. I mean.....they have to. The entire game of DA II was the Seeker getting varric to tell her where Hawke disappeared to and then it ended on that cliffhanger.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#52  Edited By Hailinel

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@Brodehouse said:

@Hailinel the ability to play as an elf or dwarf was your favourite part of Dragon Age Origins? Not the dialogue, the plot, the setting, the characters, the gameplay, the art design, it was that you were an elf?

It's ONE of the features I enjoyed most. Jesus.

@Animasta: There were a lot of things I liked about Origins, but the various playable races and origins were a big part of that. Going from that to Commander Champion Shepard Hawke of Kirkwall was not what I wanted in the least.

Then maybe you should wait until we actually see the game before writing it off? They said they're going to have varying backgrounds. you might even consider them non playable origins. Entirely possible that they're going to be varied enough to satisfy, even if there aren't going to be playable elves and dwarves.

and I like how you think that just because Hawke was like Shepard that they're going to do the exact same thing (unless you just assume that, because they'll have a voice that automatically makes them commander shepard)

I referenced Hawke because you tried using Dragon Age II in your defense. I understand that the protagonist won't necessarily be Hawke 2.0, but I have a hard time believing at this point that DA3 will live up to my desires. Particularly not when one of the first solid pieces of gameplay information is "lol, everyone's human."

And why are you only jumping on me for this? Others in this thread have stated similar thoughts.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#53  Edited By ArbitraryWater

At this point my expectations for Dragon Age III aren't so much negative as they are non-existent. I have no expectations because I have no idea what kind of game they're going to end up making and small snippets of information aren't really swaying me one way or another.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By FoolishChaos

@Animasta said:

@FoolishChaos said:

@Animasta said:

why does anyone care about anything? I'm interested to know why you wouldn't play a game because of something so incredibly minor.

Why couldn't I play KOTOR as a Twilek?

I don't actually think its that minor. Maybe its because I come from a tabletop background when it comes to RPGs, but picking a race is a pretty big deal. But anyway...

Personally it just seems like more of a cue that bioware isn't interested in bringing back the things I loved about origins. If the human options vary as much as some of the race origins then its less of an issue, but I still wonder why they think they can't make it work.

I'll be buying it regardless. DA:O is one of my favorite, if not my #1, game in recent memory. Just looking to get some of that magic back

it really wasn't THAT big of a deal though, the actual race part of origins. The origins themselves were a much bigger factor. I played a elven mage and a human mage and the only mention of my race was when I ran into the dalish (as an elf). So if the backgrounds themselves are varied enough, than the race doesn't REALLY matter.

Well, yes the origins were the bigger part. But being the race is the whole reason those origins worked in the long run.

It was cool to have your origin story and then go back when you were a warden. It would be far less exciting if the places you were going to were all just human areas because hey, all of the origins were with humans.

Also in a setting where your race can be super polarizing, being able to roleplay the "fuck all humans" elf is kind of fun.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By N7
    @Demoskinos: Indeed! Also, if you haven't played Witch Hunt, some serious shit goes down at the end of that.

What with

So, there's quite a bit to account for, and I really hope Hawke gets caught right up in it too. Isabella is too damn pretty to not be in a new game. She was in Origins FFS.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By Animasta

@Hailinel: I'm pretty sure none of them have said they're automatically not buying the game before actually seeing it (they see it as worrying, which is perfectly understandable)

All I'm saying is that you should have an open mind to things and not write things off because you liked a previous game in the series a whole lot and this does not have one of the features of that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Demoskinos

@N7 said:

@Demoskinos: I beat Origins like a week ago, and yeah, it was fucking crazy. Depending on if the secret companion lives or dies, who kills him, if you recruit him, of you are a lady and get with Alistair and become queen.

It was pretty awesome though.

REALLY interested in seeing how they carry all of those possibilities into the DA3. How the hell does meeting up with the Warden work if she's the queen? But really, I guess that wouldn't end up mattering much since you are in a country on the other side of the world.

All I want is to see my bros and broettes so I can know what they've been doing. Also my old player characters. If I could see Hawke team up with the Warden team up in a Hulk Hogan/Macho Man Randy Savage tagteam of proportions that don't yet exist, I will be sold a thousand times over.

I really think they have to have Hawke back in this game. I mean.....they have to. The entire game of DA II was the Seeker getting varric to tell her where Hawke disappeared to and then it ended on that cliffhanger.

I think Hawke will be a character in 3, but you won't get him/her on your team. It'll read whatever the dominant personality was at the end of 2 and then you'll either get Nice, Silly or Dick Hawke telling you how to stop this week's Big Evil Thing.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By musubi

@N7 said:

@Demoskinos: Indeed! Also, if you haven't played Witch Hunt, some serious shit goes down at the end of that.

What with

The Warden going into an alternate dimension with Morrigan, to raise their God kid.
    So, there's quite a bit to account for, and I really hope Hawke gets caught right up in it too. Isabella is too damn pretty to not be in a new game. She was in Origins FFS.

Oh dude.. believe me I've played some dragon age. Lol I have 3 copies of Dragon Age 1 with all the DLC. When I played witch hunt though I never followed Morrigan. Is that hinted as being cannon though?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Hailinel

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: I'm pretty sure none of them have said they're automatically not buying the game before actually seeing it (they see it as worrying, which is perfectly understandable)

All I'm saying is that you should have an open mind to things and not write things off because you liked a previous game in the series a whole lot and this does not have one of the features of that game.

That still doesn't explain why you're jumping down my throat to the extent you are.

Yes, I know you defend Dragon Age II. I played that POS based on you asking me to. But I have to reiterate that that game is one of the biggest pieces of shit from a major studio that I have played in years and I have zero desire to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt at this point. They made a great game in DAO, but they completely and utterly fucked DA2 into the ground. It is going to take a whole hell of a lot for them to get me to play DA3, and when they start off with "everyone's human," I start off by flipping them the bird.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Animasta

@Hailinel: I defend that game by calling it mediocre. I disagree with you on this. I am not going to buy DA3 right when it comes out (mainly because I have no money). I am keeping an open mind. and why does keeping an open mind = giving them the benefit of the doubt? You obviously had a much higher opinion of Bioware before they released ME3 and DA2 than I did, because I never felt they were anything but ok.

Also am I jumping down your throat? I don't think so, I just wanted a discussion because of a stupid comment you made but if you felt I was jumping down your throat I apologize

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61  Edited By Cincaid

Another quote from the panel the article is about, which I didn't include initially:

Cinematic designer John Perry also stated that "he's had a longer pre-production on DA3 than any other BioWare project he's worked on". Perry also mentioned that "just one level in DA3 is as big as all of DA2's levels combined".
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Animasta

@Cincaid: gah the one thing that was the good part of DA2's endless samey dungeons is that they weren't very long.

If we get more fades/deep roads like in origins I will be very unhappy :(

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By N7
    @Demoskinos said:

@N7 said:

What with

Oh dude.. believe me I've played some dragon age. Lol I have 3 copies of Dragon Age 1 with all the DLC. When I played witch hunt though I never followed Morrigan. Is that hinted as being cannon though?

I'm not sure if it's canon, with all of the possible endings and whatnot, but at the end of Awakenings it is said that once the Keep is rebuilt, the Warden Commander(That's you) leaves the order in search of Morrigan and is never seen again. And then it goes on to say how a select group of the Wardens create their own army based off of the silver shine of the Warden armor. So, they mention 1000 years in the future, and then go on to say he's never seen again.

Will it be retroactively changed? I sure hope so. Because I'd love to see him and Hawke go to town and a cameo extravaganza of your old companions.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#64  Edited By Justin258
    Perry also mentioned that "just one level in DA3 is as big as all of DA2's levels combined

Good news! But didn't DA2 reuse levels like crazy? If so, that doesn't sound like much of an accomplishment.

Realistic expectations are that this will be all right but not noteworthy, but I hope this series goes the Devil May Cry route of "good first, bad second, fucking amazing third".

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Turambar

Origins was disappointing, II was just plain bad, so I have little faith in 3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cincaid ugh. I don't want endless Goddamn dungeons. Unless there's cutscenes and dialogue sprinkled liberally throughout. If they're going to make dungeons that take a half Goddamn hour to walk across they better give me heelies or a Vespa or something.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Animasta

@Brodehouse said:

@Cincaid ugh. I don't want endless Goddamn dungeons. Unless there's cutscenes and dialogue sprinkled liberally throughout. If they're going to make dungeons that take a half Goddamn hour to walk across they better give me heelies or a Vespa or something.

the one thing DA could be improved by

heelies

oh man now I want those in DA so bad

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#68  Edited By Draugen

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

"You will be human...."

Fuck you, Laidlaw.

pretty sure you'll be working for the chantry for this (as far as I've heard) and since the chantry is p. racist being an elf or a dwarf would make no sense.

but hey let's all just judge a game before we actually see it that sounds like a smart thing to do

The fact that you'll be working for the chantry is one of the most interesting things I'm looking forward to seeing in DA3. Since I spent pretty much all of Origins and 2 undermining and outright working against the Chantry and their fascist arm, the templars every chance I got. So if the game revolves around the mage rebellions, my employers might find my deparment's quarterly results somewhat lacking. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Draugen the hard-line elements of the templars have broken free of the Chantry (along with the hard-line revolutionary elements of the Mage Circles). I think what likely happens is the mages join the Tevinters to establish global Mage dominance again, and the templars join the qunari. Then you have a three way war going on.

Also, considering its a medieval world, fascism is a hard thing to throw at any of them. It's not like Fereldan is a liberal democracy, it's a monarchical feudalist state. Orlais is seemingly benevolent despotism, Par Vollen is a brutal theocracy, Tevinter is slave-fueled magical despotism. There are really no nicer choices.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By musubi

@Animasta said:

@Cincaid: gah the one thing that was the good part of DA2's endless samey dungeons is that they weren't very long.

If we get more fades/deep roads like in origins I will be very unhappy :(

I liked the deep roads. The fade was stupid simply because it tried its hand at being sort of "puzzle like" with having you amass all the stupid forms like the mouse and what not. It was just a bother. At least with the deep roads you could leave at any time you wanted (albeit with a bit of a trek back) and you were still doing normal combat and game play loops. Also the final battle at the Anvil of the Void was freaking insane!

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#71  Edited By Genkkaku

@Demoskinos said:

@Genkkaku I actually played Dragon Age for the first time on PS3. That is what I initially bought Dragon Age 2 for as well. Leaning 360 though. I have the dragon age games on PC but I actually prefer them on console.

Ahhkay fair enough.. I played the first one on PC and hired it on the PS3 to see how it felt and it just didn'tfeel right for me on the console.. DA2 on the other hand, with the simplified combat system kind of felt like a console game..

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#72  Edited By ShadyPingu

Probably the best thing they did with DA2 was tell a story where conflict is instigated by people instead of some looming, disembodied dark force. Not to say that Meredith or Orsino are at all well-developed, or that the mage-templar conflict was effectively explored, or that they didn't fuck it all up in the end with the lyrium idol, but it was at least headed in a nice direction.

From that leaked DA3 survey, though, I'd wager we're getting more usual fantasy stuff. Ten bucks says you fight an Old God at the end.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By M_Shini

I only ever picked human anyway cuz dwarfs and elves look dumb!

I spent a good 40 hours in DA Origins and had the recent thought of finishig it up so ill be at least curious about seeing if it checks out good when it arrives.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Encephalon agree on both accounts. I'd like to think Walking Dead has opened people up to the idea of social conflict between people and where characters have opinions that they act on and don't just do whatever you tell them... But probably not. People will still expect to be Commander Shepard and make everyone do exactly what they want, all the time.
    Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By Tarsier

ive been craving dragon age or something like it the last few weeks. i was so got damn stoked about DA2 and it was one of the biggest disappointments of my entire frigin life. i just want them to evolve the things that were great about DA1, make the additions they need to make to bring it to the next level, and just completely eliminate every piece of shit concept/idea/ philosophy that went behind DA2. that game needs to be obliterated from the collective consciousness, and i hope they dont even address its existence in the 3rd game.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Spoonman671

Still can't be a dwarf?

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ShadyPingu

@Brodehouse: That's fair. I think some of the parts of DA2 where you have no say, like Anders blowing up Elthina, are interesting from a theoretical standpoint, if massively flawed in its execution. I think it could have come off better if you saw more of Anders' inner turmoil and degeneration, but that would require more party conversations, which DA2 had a distressing lack of.

Also, I found it hard to suspend disbelief at that point, considering Anders basically built a nuke from sewer waste. If it's that easy to make a bomb, why does everyone have their knickers in a twist about fucking gunpowder? Why are we all still using swords instead of flintlock rifles powered by poop?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Encephalon: I think it's because the common people are pretty Goddamn dumb, and Anders isn't. The stuff he was picking up are the core components of gunpowder.

And of course, there's magical stasis. In a culture powered by magic, there's no public need for technological creation. Chantry lands have mages lighting magical lamps every night, they won't need to invent electricity. Qunari hate all magic, they had to find a different way to make things explode.

You actually do get plenty of Anders inner turmoil if you have a rivalry with him. You see him losing his mind clearly. When you are friends with him and constantly tell him he's doing the right thing, there is no turmoil, no conflict. DA2 actually has _more_ party conversation than DAO, they're just partitioned out more slowly. In Origins you can be hilt-deep in Morrigan five minutes after leaving Lothering.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ShadyPingu

@Brodehouse: Yeah, I guess there's no shortage of sulfur and nitrogen in a sewer, but that explosion looked more like what happens when I beat the last boss in a Final Fantasy. The slapdash nature of the Anders terrorism development just funnels into my general sense that Act 3 was seriously rushed and no one was thinking clearly.

You may be right about the actual quantity of conversations, I don't know. I guess what I meant was, in DA2 it felt like there were fewer interactions with your party that did not revolve around their usual Bioware character sidequest. Whereas I really enjoyed some of the stuff you could talk about with your DAO companions. Dumb stuff like asking Alistair if he'd ever licked a lamppost in winter. Things that I felt enriched the character without needling me with their mysterious past. There seemed to be less of that in DA2, but it's been a while.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Draugen

@Brodehouse said:

@Draugen the hard-line elements of the templars have broken free of the Chantry (along with the hard-line revolutionary elements of the Mage Circles). I think what likely happens is the mages join the Tevinters to establish global Mage dominance again, and the templars join the qunari. Then you have a three way war going on. Also, considering its a medieval world, fascism is a hard thing to throw at any of them. It's not like Fereldan is a liberal democracy, it's a monarchical feudalist state. Orlais is seemingly benevolent despotism, Par Vollen is a brutal theocracy, Tevinter is slave-fueled magical despotism. There are really no nicer choices.

I mostly have a problem with the fundamentalist ideologies in the DA universe. That's why I always sided against the templars and the chantry, and the qunari. Ferelden is a monarchy, but there is wiggleroom to make your own way in life. There is a much harsher opression within the qun and the circle. For me, there is a clear lesser evil. The game has tried to convince that there is a grey zone in the way you should view the circle and their methods, by claiming that the lure of demons is so strong for mages that they have to be opressed.

The problem is that whenver I've played as a mage, they've failed to convey that, so I don't see the threat. I only see the opression.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#81  Edited By Dagbiker

Im sure it will look just like the concept art.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Hungry

@Brodehouse said:

DA2 actually has _more_ party conversation than DAO, they're just partitioned out more slowly. In Origins you can be hilt-deep in Morrigan five minutes after leaving Lothering.

This. The way the party members are handled and how their stories and personalities are delivered to the player is one of the few things Dragon Age 2 actually does right. Not just competently either, as in Dragon Age 2 does it pretty damn well.

Now, like almost everything else is pretty bad. But if you can deliver to me characters that well I am willing to forgive a lot. That is why I think Dragon Age II is just sub-par and not trashcan awful.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Draugen said:

@Brodehouse said:

@Draugen the hard-line elements of the templars have broken free of the Chantry (along with the hard-line revolutionary elements of the Mage Circles). I think what likely happens is the mages join the Tevinters to establish global Mage dominance again, and the templars join the qunari. Then you have a three way war going on. Also, considering its a medieval world, fascism is a hard thing to throw at any of them. It's not like Fereldan is a liberal democracy, it's a monarchical feudalist state. Orlais is seemingly benevolent despotism, Par Vollen is a brutal theocracy, Tevinter is slave-fueled magical despotism. There are really no nicer choices.

I mostly have a problem with the fundamentalist ideologies in the DA universe. That's why I always sided against the templars and the chantry, and the qunari. Ferelden is a monarchy, but there is wiggleroom to make your own way in life. There is a much harsher opression within the qun and the circle. For me, there is a clear lesser evil. The game has tried to convince that there is a grey zone in the way you should view the circle and their methods, by claiming that the lure of demons is so strong for mages that they have to be opressed.

The problem is that whenver I've played as a mage, they've failed to convey that, so I don't see the threat. I only see the opression.

Absolutely being in the Circle is forced, in that if you're a mage you need to live at the Circle, research magic and follow the orders of the Knight-Commander. But if you're a 'free' man you do whatever work is available regardless of whether you like it or not and you follow the orders of the local bann, arl or teyrn. The problem isn't with the system, it's with those Knight-Commanders or teyrns who abuse their power and act like tyrants.

As for how 'oppressed' life in the Circle is, it almost entirely depends on who you are. Anders felt that anyone ever being able to tell him what to do was insufferable, he wouldn't have liked life as a farmer or as commonfolk anymore than his life as a mage. On the other hand, Wynne didn't appear to think the Circle was all that dangerous or restrictive, and Finn (from the Witch Hunt DLC) clearly prefers being locked in a tower full of spellbooks over life as a farmer.

Which is your clear lesser evil, because compared to Tevinter or the Qun, I'd say it's the Chantry. Tearing it apart because of Meredith or Petrice would be like tearing down Fereldan because of Howe or Vaughn.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#84  Edited By Hunter5024

Elves are lesser people anyways. Ahem. It's not so annoying to me that you can't choose your own race, because with DA2 they really upgraded the art style and the body types between the races and sexes became a lot more varied, so letting you choose your own race would create just one more giant resource drain. However it is pretty troubling that you can't play through your origin. Even if it was just 2 or 3 different human ones I would be totally cool with that, that just felt like a very special feature to me from the first one, hell it was even in the name, and its such a shame that they abandoned it. Granted I only played Mass Effect 2, but they only mentioned my background like twice in the whole game, and it never impacted any of the choices I made, and I hope they handle that differently in this one. It almost feels like Dragon Age 2 turned the game into a whole different series, with a ton of influence from Mass Effect. I'd almost rather they just forget about the import feature entirely and set the games a century apart as long as it meant they could bring back origins, let you go crazy with the choices you make, and give you a really varied ending. As it is imported choices never lead to relevant changes in the game themselves, because no company is going to design a level that most players might never even see. They're more like little wink and nods every so often to remind you they know your data and that always seemed kind of shallow to me. But you can design your own castle!?!? Sold.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ShadyPingu

On a side note, given its divisiveness, I think it's great that we can apparently discuss DA2 without screaming at each other.

Just no one mention the lyrium idol, because I won't be able to stop myself.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By NegativeCero

I feel like I remember them making a big fuss out of taking fan feedback much more seriously this time around. Does anyone here visit the Bioware forums very often? I'm curious if the direction they take it will incorporate suggestions given to them. Obviously right now, there is next to no information, but later on I'd be curious how it matures.

Like with many other people, I'm cautiously optimistic that it will turn out well. At this point I've accepted that they'll never go back to a more Origins feel, but I just hope they can make it a happy medium.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Draugen

@Brodehouse: I still maintain that there is a difference. A free man may now have alot of opportunites in his life, but he can pick up and try his fortune elsewhere. As was is evident in the City Elf origin in DA:O, even elves can pack their wagons and look for greener pastures. Mages get hunted down and killed if they try to leave. As long as mages don't have the same opportunites as everyone else, I concider them oppressed. If some of them prefer the circle, good for them. But any character I play as will not in any way support keeping the options away from them.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Hailinel

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: I defend that game by calling it mediocre. I disagree with you on this. I am not going to buy DA3 right when it comes out (mainly because I have no money). I am keeping an open mind. and why does keeping an open mind = giving them the benefit of the doubt? You obviously had a much higher opinion of Bioware before they released ME3 and DA2 than I did, because I never felt they were anything but ok.

Also am I jumping down your throat? I don't think so, I just wanted a discussion because of a stupid comment you made but if you felt I was jumping down your throat I apologize

I was never one of those that felt Bioware could walk on water. I enjoyed DAO and considered it one of my favorite games of the year it came out, but I have no desire to play Mass Effect (the most I ever did was the PS3 ME2 demo, and oh god it was terrible). I was also not fond of the hubris-laced sentiment Bioware started spouting about their ability to craft RPGs. I basically consider the (not batshit crazy) negative reactions that DA2 and ME3 (and TOR, to an extent) received something of a comeuppance for that attitude they had started to exude. I am holding the DA3 team to an unreasonable standard because that's apparently the standard they desired to be upheld against. When you declare your style of game design the way to make RPGs and try to ring the death knell of Final Fantasy in the same breath, you'd better leave your A-game at home and bring the SSS-rank, because I am not going to tolerate your fucking around.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#89  Edited By Tennmuerti

I can't roleplay a dwarf? Dissapoint.

Mark one for negative column. Waiting for more info.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Animasta

@Hailinel: are you really calling the reaction to ME3 and DA2 not batshit crazy? I played both of those games, thought they were mediocre at best, but by god listening to people on the internet you'd literally think it was worse than fucking big rigs.

also I've never seen any of these so called hubris laced statements Bioware made so I need some evidence before I believe you there.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#91  Edited By beforet

Okay, so I'm going to pass over the whole "why can't we choose our race" argument. I understand the reasoning, and actually agree with much of it. That said, I do have one complaint.

Why human?! It's a world with elves, dwarves, and weird ass horn-people. Hell, fuck the elves and dwarves, the Qunari are probably the most interesting race in this universe. I don't understand why human is the default for these sorts of stories. Dragon Age 2 had it's personal human story; having the protagonist of DAIII be Qunari would have really interesting. That's my input on all of this. I'll still play the game, because I'm sure that the human story for this will still be engaging. I just wish they would consider making the protagonist anything other than human.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Animasta

@Beforet: Being a Qunari would probably be really dull considering the religion. No one likes playing the islamic borg collective

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#93  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Animasta said:

@Beforet: Being a Qunari would probably be really dull considering the religion. No one likes playing the islamic borg collective

Qunari? Sure, but Tal-Vashoth?

That'd be pretty damn cool.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Animasta

@Oldirtybearon: It doesn't even need to be Tal-Vashoth (who, as I understand, mentally decided to stop following the Qun); maybe some Qunari baby that got abducted by Tevinter magisters or somethin to that effect.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Hailinel

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: are you really calling the reaction to ME3 and DA2 not batshit crazy? I played both of those games, thought they were mediocre at best, but by god listening to people on the internet you'd literally think it was worse than fucking big rigs.

also I've never seen any of these so called hubris laced statements Bioware made so I need some evidence before I believe you there.

Are you saying that absolutely none of the negative criticism that either game wasn't justified? Yes, a lot of it was over the top, but there were a lot of salient points, as well.

And here's a comment from a dev in an interview on TOR:

"Well, before I address the main point I just want to take a slightly more controversial route: You can put a ‘J’ in front of it, but it’s not an RPG," argues The Old Republic lead writer Daniel Erickson. "You don’t make any choices, you don’t create a character, you don’t live your character… I don’t know what those are --adventure games maybe? But they’re not RPG’s.

"Without the systems, you’re nothing. One of the things we’ve always been aware of is that a lot of people play Baldur’s Gate to death, and those people who play it 3,4,5 times aren’t story guys, they’re D&D guys."

Now, before you get worked up and start hammering at me again (seriously, get your hands away from the keyboard), I did remember the comment wrong, but it's still a stupid comment by cherry-picking what makes and doesn't make an RPG.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Animasta

@Hailinel: yes I'm basically saying that both games are perfect AFTER stating they were mediocre at best. I don't see why you think I'm worked up about it though? or are you just trying to make me seem like some frothing at the mouth bioware defender or something.

and he's technically got a point; I'd disagree with him but hey some people have differing definitions of words so whatever.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Hailinel

@Animasta: You're the one that painted the wider criticism of those games as being batshit crazy, regardless of whether or not you personally consider them mediocre.

And his point is lost in the fact that there are so many JRPGs that take so many different forms. And as for FFXIII specifically, the game's combat and leveling mechanics are based on the same concepts that drive pen and paper RPGs. It doesn't matter if the story is linear or not or if the game allows for character creation. Mass Effect barely allows for character creation. Whoever you are, you're still Shepard, savior of the galaxy. Your gender, appearance, and class don't matter, and all of your choices boil down to whether or not you're an asshole and who you want to bone.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Animasta

@Hailinel: but did he say mass effect was an RPG? I agree with you about it jeez I was just saying that he is perfectly within his rights to have a different view of the RPG from you or me.

and dude people were literally calling it the worst game of the year. (this being the year that had blackwater and duke nukem forever) If you're going to call DA2 worse than DNF, well...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Hailinel

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: but did he say mass effect was an RPG? I agree with you about it jeez I was just saying that he is perfectly within his rights to have a different view of the RPG from you or me.

and dude people were literally calling it the worst game of the year. (this being the year that had blackwater and duke nukem forever) If you're going to call DA2 worse than DNF, well...

If I spent $60 on Dragon Age II, I'd be inclined to call it one of the worst of the year, as well. Hell, it's easily one of the worst I've played this year. The thing is, despite games like Blackwater or DNF existing, a person is likely to focus more on Dragon Age if they've never bothered with those other games. Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor is a poorly designed game, no doubt, but I haven't played it, so it hasn't had the effect that playing DA2 or Dream Trigger 3D had. (Oh man, is Dream Trigger ever horrible.)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel: Wow, dude. You've been holding a grudge because a BioWare director who didn't even work on Mass Effect said something negative about Japanese RPGs? That's insane. You are right about how the defining characteristic of the video game RPG is that it use statistics to represent ability, as opposed to action (use of a controller) or adventure (solution of problems through logic). Ohlen's reach does exceed his grasp. But Christ, dude.

Also, your little spiel about Shepard could be said word for word about the Warden. And Geralt of Rivia. And the Vault Dweller. And all player characters in all games that don't have a live DM there to listen to you.

Hell, even then it's not like the DM is improvising everything. I would know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.