Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age: Origins Diary Part 6: Denerim and the Sacred Ashes

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

Edited By natetodamax

I keep forgetting to do another one of these entries because Mass Effect 2 has been taking up a lot of my time. Honestly, when I'm not playing ME2, I'm playing Dragon Age, and when I'm not playing Dragon Age, I'm playing ME2. Let's just say that Bioware is my favorite developer.  

"HOW COULD YOU DO THAT!?!?!"
    Thinking way back to the time after my last entry, I remember fighting in Redcliffe. This is where I gave up on the PC version, so I was excited to continue the fight. The decision regarding the boy Connor was a difficult one. I had to decide whether to kill him because he was possessed by a demon, or to use blood magic and allow his mother to sacrifice herself, thus saving the boy. I decided to sacrifice the mom because Jowan wanted to redeem himself for putting Connor in that state. A short while later, Alistair quite literally yelled in my face after returning to the Party Camp because he disagreed with my decision. It was intense, but I managed to calm him down. Unfortunately, I got a -23 disapproval rating, which caused the spectrum to lean more towards the dislike side than the like side. I think it's back to the right side now, though.

I also went to Denerim for the first time but was reluctant to do so because Loghain is there (right?), and I thought traveling to the city would advance the main quest when I wasn't ready. Thankfully, I was greeted by TONS of side quests and not Loghain. I spent an enormous amount of time in Denerim just doing side quests and talking to people. It's a pretty good place. I also got it on in the brothel because I was bored.

Yesterday I FINALLY got the Urn of Sacred Ashes. I didn't think that quest would be as long and slightly tedious as it was. I had to go to Lake Calenhad, back to Denerim, and then to this town called Haven where I ended up in a cave which led to a one - two hour trek through a dungeon. It wasn't all bad, because I was able to fight a lot of little and big dragons. I also hit the gong as soon as I saw it, which (as you may or may not know) caused the High Dragon to wake up and destroy all of us. This was also the first time in the game where I had to go to the internet for help. It was at the part where you must pass through a wall of flames in front of the Urn. I took all of my stuff off at the altar and then put all of it back on, which I guess screwed up the quest a little. I had to manually remove everyone's equipment (because I guess going through without anything on prevents the Guardian from attacking) but it wouldn't work. I still had to fight the Guardian and his Shade minions, but I managed to defeat them after an intense battle. In case you're wondering, I decided not to defile the Ashes because that would be mean and I'm playing as a good little Dwarf. 

After successfully reviving the Arl Eamon, I sent out to the Circle of Magi to seek their help. I won't go into detail here because I already did (link). I'll just say that, unlike last time, I did not slaughter the innocent Mage's because Morrigan told me to do so. So I got Wynne, and she's pretty awesome because Wynne + Morrigan = Alistair and I never dying! Which is a great thing, of course. Right now I'm in the Fade, which is the most annoying part of the game so far. I'm about halfway finished; hopefully I'll get out of it tomorrow. Until next time.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By natetodamax

I keep forgetting to do another one of these entries because Mass Effect 2 has been taking up a lot of my time. Honestly, when I'm not playing ME2, I'm playing Dragon Age, and when I'm not playing Dragon Age, I'm playing ME2. Let's just say that Bioware is my favorite developer.  

"HOW COULD YOU DO THAT!?!?!"
    Thinking way back to the time after my last entry, I remember fighting in Redcliffe. This is where I gave up on the PC version, so I was excited to continue the fight. The decision regarding the boy Connor was a difficult one. I had to decide whether to kill him because he was possessed by a demon, or to use blood magic and allow his mother to sacrifice herself, thus saving the boy. I decided to sacrifice the mom because Jowan wanted to redeem himself for putting Connor in that state. A short while later, Alistair quite literally yelled in my face after returning to the Party Camp because he disagreed with my decision. It was intense, but I managed to calm him down. Unfortunately, I got a -23 disapproval rating, which caused the spectrum to lean more towards the dislike side than the like side. I think it's back to the right side now, though.

I also went to Denerim for the first time but was reluctant to do so because Loghain is there (right?), and I thought traveling to the city would advance the main quest when I wasn't ready. Thankfully, I was greeted by TONS of side quests and not Loghain. I spent an enormous amount of time in Denerim just doing side quests and talking to people. It's a pretty good place. I also got it on in the brothel because I was bored.

Yesterday I FINALLY got the Urn of Sacred Ashes. I didn't think that quest would be as long and slightly tedious as it was. I had to go to Lake Calenhad, back to Denerim, and then to this town called Haven where I ended up in a cave which led to a one - two hour trek through a dungeon. It wasn't all bad, because I was able to fight a lot of little and big dragons. I also hit the gong as soon as I saw it, which (as you may or may not know) caused the High Dragon to wake up and destroy all of us. This was also the first time in the game where I had to go to the internet for help. It was at the part where you must pass through a wall of flames in front of the Urn. I took all of my stuff off at the altar and then put all of it back on, which I guess screwed up the quest a little. I had to manually remove everyone's equipment (because I guess going through without anything on prevents the Guardian from attacking) but it wouldn't work. I still had to fight the Guardian and his Shade minions, but I managed to defeat them after an intense battle. In case you're wondering, I decided not to defile the Ashes because that would be mean and I'm playing as a good little Dwarf. 

After successfully reviving the Arl Eamon, I sent out to the Circle of Magi to seek their help. I won't go into detail here because I already did (link). I'll just say that, unlike last time, I did not slaughter the innocent Mage's because Morrigan told me to do so. So I got Wynne, and she's pretty awesome because Wynne + Morrigan = Alistair and I never dying! Which is a great thing, of course. Right now I'm in the Fade, which is the most annoying part of the game so far. I'm about halfway finished; hopefully I'll get out of it tomorrow. Until next time.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I didn't have to sacrifice anyone when helping Conner. To do so, I had to get help from the Magi to go into the Fade and help Conner. I needed the Circle of Magi anyway to help with the Blight, so I went there first. I've done the Haven quest, but I thought the Dalish Elf quest was longer. I read somewhere that there's an 8 hour quest, but I haven't seen that one yet.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By natetodamax
    @Claude: I knew about that option, but I just wanted to be done with Redcliffe as fast as possible. I was tired of it and I also did not want to go all the way to the Mage's tower.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

The Fade is easily the absolute worst part of the game.  I really don't understand why Bioware felt the need to stuff that long, tedious stretch into the Mage's Tower quest.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Hailinel said:
    " The Fade is easily the absolute worst part of the game.  I really don't understand why Bioware felt the need to stuff that long, tedious stretch into the Mage's Tower quest. "
    I agree
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By turboman

The Fade is the most boring thing I've ever done in a Video Game. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.