Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 27, 2004

The eighth main entry in the Dragon Quest franchise. It was the first game in the series to utilize a full 3D environment and featured a cel-shaded graphics style which would become standard for all future games in the franchise.

43+ hrs into DQ VIII

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By JCGamer

Wow that was really, really annoying.  I was doing the Herb level in the snowy mountains, but I couldn't trigger the meeting with the herb dude.  After searching the internet, I finally figured out I needed to talk to some people?  Not sure, I spoke with the item dude before and he told me to go to the cave.  I guess I never actually went into the bed room but did make it to the room with is cauldron.  Oh well--whatever it was, I went back to the town, entered both his rooms, talked to the item dude and his wife and back in the cave looked at his campfire--that worked.  I suppose it did give me more leveling up and money.

After 43 hours into the game, I came across the first real annoying part of the game.  I forgot that in past games, normal random enemies could cast magic to kill your entire party.  This is totally annoying and wish it didn't exist in this game, but I suppose it is an old school JRPG and that's what they do, but it doesn't make it any easier to tolerate when your entire party is wiped out by a random dude in the overworld.

And I guess Jessica is the only character in the game that can change outfits?  I realize that she's "va-va-voom", but I really wouldn't have minded the other characters changing their wardrobe depending on what they were equipped with.  I mean you get to see the new weapons and shields, but new outfits would have also been nice.  The first game that let me do this that I can remember was Ultima VII:   the Serpent Isle and that was in 1993.  I think that DQ IX will let you dress up your character though...
    JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JCGamer

Wow that was really, really annoying.  I was doing the Herb level in the snowy mountains, but I couldn't trigger the meeting with the herb dude.  After searching the internet, I finally figured out I needed to talk to some people?  Not sure, I spoke with the item dude before and he told me to go to the cave.  I guess I never actually went into the bed room but did make it to the room with is cauldron.  Oh well--whatever it was, I went back to the town, entered both his rooms, talked to the item dude and his wife and back in the cave looked at his campfire--that worked.  I suppose it did give me more leveling up and money.

After 43 hours into the game, I came across the first real annoying part of the game.  I forgot that in past games, normal random enemies could cast magic to kill your entire party.  This is totally annoying and wish it didn't exist in this game, but I suppose it is an old school JRPG and that's what they do, but it doesn't make it any easier to tolerate when your entire party is wiped out by a random dude in the overworld.

And I guess Jessica is the only character in the game that can change outfits?  I realize that she's "va-va-voom", but I really wouldn't have minded the other characters changing their wardrobe depending on what they were equipped with.  I mean you get to see the new weapons and shields, but new outfits would have also been nice.  The first game that let me do this that I can remember was Ultima VII:   the Serpent Isle and that was in 1993.  I think that DQ IX will let you dress up your character though...
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I'm surprised that your first frustrating moment occurred at the 43rd hour. I was getting tired of the level grinding by my 20th hour.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By drac96

I don't want to spoil anything, but Jessica is not the only character who can change costumes 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.