Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Crown

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jul 25, 2013

From Vanillaware Ltd., developers of Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown is a fantasy themed co-op beat-'em-up.

Was side scrolling the best decision

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

I was really looking forward to Dragons Crown but after watching the quick look, wow was really turned off by the inability to keep track of well...everything. Im just wondering if anyone else had that feeling. Really like everything else going on, loot, new game +, the art is ridiculously awesome, but i think it could have carried over better in a 3D world in likes of Kingdoms of Amular, or just straight up like Diablo. In both cases i think the art, which i think the game is built around, can still be significant while improving the gameplay.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Yes. The appeal to me would have folded greatly if it was 3d.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Absolute. But I don't think the characters featured were exaggerated enough.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

It's an awesome game, and there's no reason for it to not be 2D.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@me3639: It seems really hectic at first but, really quickly, you learn to keep track of everything. It was really dumb of them to just jump into new game+ on the quicklook and expect it to go well. I'm not sure what were they thinking O_o

Side-scrolling really makes this the stand out game it is. I can't remember the last time I played a game and instantly thought 'well, this is my GOTY' like this has made me.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game is amazing probably my favorite game of it's type(Streets of Rage, Castle Crashers, etc). To me this is the pinnacle of the side scrolling beat em up.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh hell nah!!!! This is 2D magic , in 3D it would be like you said Kingdoms of Amulur or Diablo , fuck that >:(

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Symphony of the Night>Kingdoms of Amalur and Diablo 3. Thank god it's 2D! End of thread.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Elwoodan

I doubt they would have been able to pull off the artstyle in 3D, so absolutely, 2D was the way to go.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ares42

As has already been said, once you get into it keeping track is no problem. Also the QL was a horrible presentation of what the game really is.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I don't understand. Are you suggesting that Dragon's Crown would be a better game if it was a completely different genre?

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Love the 2D, this game just keeps getting better and better the more I play it. I think it might even make my top ten this year.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#13  Edited By Slag

In my opinion Side scrolling was the single best decision they made about the whole game. 3d Hack N Slash just isn't nearly anywhere near as dynamic as what you can still get in old skool brawler.

It's 100% why Dragon Crown is relevant for good reasons and the only reason I'll eventually play it.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you take it away from 2d and put it into 3d then its not the same game. Play Diablo,Kingdoms of Amalur,Titans Quest, Sacred 2 if you want a 3d plane loot em up.

Dragons Crown is a 2D side scroller Loot em up....they don't really exist. Which is why Dragon Crown is unique.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By TobbRobb

No jesus no. 2D is the only way this would work, especially the art style. There is no way the art would translate well to 3d.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.