Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem 3D

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Jan 29, 1996

Kill countless aliens while rescuing babes as Duke Nukem in this critically acclaimed first-person shooter.

Favorite versions of Duke Nukem 3D

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By roushimsx

So, I'm playing through all of the Duke Nukem 3D releases right now, checking out the various changes between them, and updating the respective pages accordingly. I haven't got a 360 to check out the XBLA version in all its glory and my Game.com suffered a battery leak while it was in storage for the last 11 years (good riddance, trash), but I was able to recently play through the PC (original for old time's sake and modern sourceport for comparison) and Saturn versions and I'm currently working on the N64 release (Duke Nukem 64). Next up will be the PS1 version, which I have some not-too-terribly-fond memories of.

Each one (ok, with one exception) has its strengths and weaknesses:

• PC: Classic 2.5D action. Modern sourceports allow high resolution textures in addition to playing it in classic mode on modern systems. New polymost engine allows for proper perspective correction when looking up and down. Mouse and keyboard. Expansion packs that kick ass (Duke It Out in D.C. and Duke Caribbean). MIDI soundtrack (though you can now use higher quality MP3 replacements).
    • Saturn: True 3D engine with some incredibly neat light sourcing effects. Unique level, Death Tank Zwei, arranged redbook soundtrack. Low resolution, levels cut up a bit to work better on the system, framerate isn't as smooth as, say, Powerslave was. Inability to duck and the new movement code will cause some serious adjustment issues.
    • N64: True 3D engine, neat explosion and fog effects. Lacks music. Levels rearranged extensively. Suffers from some questionable control and the framerate can get a little clunky here and there.
    • PS1: Low average framerate, all new soundtrack, new episode.
    • Game.com: There are no positive things to say about it other than that it's portable and impressively bad. Well deserving of its own entry once the system becomes better emulated since, well, it's nothing like the previous versions. Except maybe the Genesis one. A framerate and engine that makes the PS1 version look like Crysis running on dual 8800GTs.
    • MegaDrive: Well, it's better than the Game.com version. For the hardware, the engine isn't too bad. Nice collection piece if you can get a friend in Brazil to hook it up for you.
    • XBLA: Easy to use time rewind function and excellent multiplayer support. This is actually one of the main reasons I want an Xbox 360 sooner rather than later (long time Duke Nukem 3D supporter, reporting for duty!).

Which versions do you like best? Which ones do you like the least?
    For actual playability, I strongly prefer the PC version with the latest ProAsm branch of JonoF's sourceport. The mouse and keyboard totally sell it above all others, especially after fighting with trying to circle strafe with a gamepad. The resolution and framerate are icing on the cake, and I absolutely love Duke It Out in D.C. and Duke Caribbean. I've been hearing that Armadillo's soundtrack to Total Meltdown (something I don't remember at all) is completely tops, which is the main reason I'm looking forward to giving it another shot. The new episode (which I never got around to trying) is supposed to be pretty decent, though it'd be hard to match the efforts of Sunstorm's A-Team.

Other than that, the Saturn verison gets points for having some amazing lighting (especially for the time) and some of those arranged tunes are choice (and "Aliens, Say Your Prayers" gets used more than once!). The new level was pretty neat and some of the changes they made throughout the game were interesting. Plus, Death Tank Zwei. Seriously. I own a multitap for two reasons: Death Tank Zwei and Saturn Bomberman.

The N64 version is fairly painful to play because of the forced lookspring and slow turning speed, though the sheer number of changes keep me looking forward to the next level. The way they merged Duke Burger with Red Light District was actually pretty cool, especially the way the shipping and receiving portion maintained the general layout of the strip club and the kitchen of Duke Burger replaced the bar. Shame aiming vertically is a bitch and a half and that the Y axis auto aim isn't nearly as generous as it is in other ports. Sucks that there's no music outside of the title theme. :(

If you can avoid ever playing the MegaDrive or Game.com Duke Nukem 3D games, I'd strongly advise it.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Wow.  You sure like nostalgia. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.