Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

I like Duke Nukem Forever (unironically)

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

Edited By willin

Seems like this year there are many things with universal hate. Kinect, Nintendo and Duke Nukem Forever to only name a few. I’m not necessarily a person who likes to follow trends. I always give a game a chance to impress me despite what others say. This personality trait has lead me to purchase games like ‘Alone in the Dark’ and ‘Alpha Protocol’ and with this trait I have gone out and bought Duke Nukem Forever.

I loved Duke Nukem 3D, despite being about 6 or 7 when played it back in the 90’s. I have very fond memories of running around the first level shooting Pig Cops and blowing up the screen to get at extra goodies. That plus being fascinated by the trolling zombie that was Duke Nukem Forever’s development pretty much locked in my purchase for the game. Due to lack of funds I couldn’t get it when it came out and announce to the world ‘I own a copy of Duke Nukem Forever’ as I was planning but because of this I got to witness the critical reaction to this game: Overall hatred.

But that wasn’t going to stop me, oh no. My hunger for Duke Nukem was not quenched by Manhattan Project or the port of Duke 3D to XBLA. I had to play the sequel to 3D.

14 years later Duke Nukem’s credits flow pass the screen, a completed game. Collecting my thoughts about it I realised how much fun I had with the game. It was very refreshing playing a shooter that wasn’t a Call of Duty knock-off or another cover based shooter. I enjoyed it more than I should have, but why?

One reason I believe is a game that Duke Nukem Forever constantly reminded me of and constantly made comparisons to: Half Life 2. If you think about it Forever and Half Life 2 shares a lot of concepts and ideas. First person platforming, unique weapons, heavy use of first person storytelling, physics puzzles and linear progression, even its flow breaking load times. Duke Nukem and Half Life are completely different kinds of shooters. Duke Nukem being the hardcore adult shooter and Half Life being a strategic atmospheric shooter but I found the way Duke compared to Half Life 2 completely unexpected and hey at one point in the development it used the Half Life 1 engine!

Another reason I believe I like Forever is variety in the genre. As someone who has played almost every Call of Duty from this generation (exception being World at War) as well as its clones it’s refreshing to play just a shooter. No iron sights, no gun customisation, no serious storyline, it’s just ‘Pig Cops, Shotgun, Go’. The world needs more Duke Nukem, Serious Sam and Painkiller games. The genre is getting over saturated and stale and it’s going to die from it. As much as I am looking forward to Modern Warfare 3 I’m looking for to the continuing story of Price and Soap as well as the crazy scenarios Infinity Ward will put us in, not playing it.

I do really like Duke Nukem Forever but I can clearly see its problems and why people hate it. Load times are unacceptable. Load times shouldn’t be this long for a game that doesn’t look great. Load times shouldn’t happen as frequently as it does in Duke Nukem Forever. Most of the time the area in which the loading starts is also the same area the game loads back into so there is no excuse on why this game didn’t stream its loading as you went through the level. I didn’t mind going through the long empty hallways in Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland so why not have it here?

Framerate can get choppy, the game looks decent for a game that came out in 2006, had a boss that didn’t go through its death animation so I got stuck and I had the game crash at one point. But despite all of this I still found the game enjoyable. I’m not going to write a review on this game because that would require me to play the multiplayer and I don’t want to look a dead rotting horse in the mouth but if I could make one statement about the game it is that it is not for everyone.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By willin

Seems like this year there are many things with universal hate. Kinect, Nintendo and Duke Nukem Forever to only name a few. I’m not necessarily a person who likes to follow trends. I always give a game a chance to impress me despite what others say. This personality trait has lead me to purchase games like ‘Alone in the Dark’ and ‘Alpha Protocol’ and with this trait I have gone out and bought Duke Nukem Forever.

I loved Duke Nukem 3D, despite being about 6 or 7 when played it back in the 90’s. I have very fond memories of running around the first level shooting Pig Cops and blowing up the screen to get at extra goodies. That plus being fascinated by the trolling zombie that was Duke Nukem Forever’s development pretty much locked in my purchase for the game. Due to lack of funds I couldn’t get it when it came out and announce to the world ‘I own a copy of Duke Nukem Forever’ as I was planning but because of this I got to witness the critical reaction to this game: Overall hatred.

But that wasn’t going to stop me, oh no. My hunger for Duke Nukem was not quenched by Manhattan Project or the port of Duke 3D to XBLA. I had to play the sequel to 3D.

14 years later Duke Nukem’s credits flow pass the screen, a completed game. Collecting my thoughts about it I realised how much fun I had with the game. It was very refreshing playing a shooter that wasn’t a Call of Duty knock-off or another cover based shooter. I enjoyed it more than I should have, but why?

One reason I believe is a game that Duke Nukem Forever constantly reminded me of and constantly made comparisons to: Half Life 2. If you think about it Forever and Half Life 2 shares a lot of concepts and ideas. First person platforming, unique weapons, heavy use of first person storytelling, physics puzzles and linear progression, even its flow breaking load times. Duke Nukem and Half Life are completely different kinds of shooters. Duke Nukem being the hardcore adult shooter and Half Life being a strategic atmospheric shooter but I found the way Duke compared to Half Life 2 completely unexpected and hey at one point in the development it used the Half Life 1 engine!

Another reason I believe I like Forever is variety in the genre. As someone who has played almost every Call of Duty from this generation (exception being World at War) as well as its clones it’s refreshing to play just a shooter. No iron sights, no gun customisation, no serious storyline, it’s just ‘Pig Cops, Shotgun, Go’. The world needs more Duke Nukem, Serious Sam and Painkiller games. The genre is getting over saturated and stale and it’s going to die from it. As much as I am looking forward to Modern Warfare 3 I’m looking for to the continuing story of Price and Soap as well as the crazy scenarios Infinity Ward will put us in, not playing it.

I do really like Duke Nukem Forever but I can clearly see its problems and why people hate it. Load times are unacceptable. Load times shouldn’t be this long for a game that doesn’t look great. Load times shouldn’t happen as frequently as it does in Duke Nukem Forever. Most of the time the area in which the loading starts is also the same area the game loads back into so there is no excuse on why this game didn’t stream its loading as you went through the level. I didn’t mind going through the long empty hallways in Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland so why not have it here?

Framerate can get choppy, the game looks decent for a game that came out in 2006, had a boss that didn’t go through its death animation so I got stuck and I had the game crash at one point. But despite all of this I still found the game enjoyable. I’m not going to write a review on this game because that would require me to play the multiplayer and I don’t want to look a dead rotting horse in the mouth but if I could make one statement about the game it is that it is not for everyone.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By shinigami420

Duke nukem forever is a terrible game sorry for your bad taste in games

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BubbleBobble

Duke Nukem Forever is not as bad everyone says it is.  Kids today are just used to modern shooters with iron sights & gun customization. 

Take it from me, I played CS 1.3-1.6 professionally for 10 years, & customizations don't mean anything. It's all about the fun factor, & skill if you want to play competively. Scrimages & Matches are what it's all about; Leagueplay/Clans 

Duke 3D wasn't a horror game like Doom, nor was it as fast as Quake. But it did have that ingredient that makes an FPS special.  

We didn't argue about Framerate, Screen Tearing, or Glitches back then as we do now. You just went with it and it became part of the game. Nowadays things are different, & it's a shame. Us Xhair guys are quickly going extinct.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Subjugation

@Lights_Up_The_Shaft: Welcome to the club.

delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By delorean99947
    @Lights_Up_The_Shaft: People that say it's horrible most likely haven't played it and assume that. I liked it to, but the multiplayer wasn't good enough to make me keep it. 
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777

You must really hate yourself...

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Legend

It's OK; I like this game too. Just because you like a game that got bad reviews and many people hate (even though many of them didn't even play it) doesn't mean you have bad taste in games. It means you have the ability to think for yourself, and know that your own opinion is what really matters in the end even if it disagrees with the masses.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By BombKareshi
    @Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:

This personality trait has lead me to purchase games like ‘Alone in the Dark’ and ‘Alpha Protocol’ and with this trait I have gone out and bought Duke Nukem Forever.

Great to hear you gave Alone in the Dark a shot. I loved that game despite (or perhaps for) its flaws.

@Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
    I loved Duke Nukem 3D, despite being about 6 or 7 when played it back in the 90’s.
    I think you needed to be about 6 or 7 when you first played it in order to love Duke Nukem 3D.
    poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By poveren

I loved the game for many reasons. And yes, everyone I know who said the "game sucks" hasn't actually played it, or just played the demo and read a bunch of articles.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @shinigami420: @Enigma777: He's at least given reasons for his position, which you haven't. Taste in games is determined by the reasons you have for liking or disliking something, not simply what you like or dislike.
    faunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By faunt

I didn't like it at all, and hey, I love oldschool games. While playing DNF I was thinking about Bullestorm and how it's much better then DNF. 

I need no gun customisation, pretty graphics or advanced ai. Shooting isn't simply fun in this game. Humour isn't funny and I didn't enjoy the game. It's not terrible, but it's also far from good. 

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By falserelic

My experience with DNF was terrible,It was beyond disappointing for me.  

jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By jaymorgoth

I honestly hated this game, It was frustrating, broken, and boring for me. It wasn't just the load times but things like outdated mechanics (such as the underwater level and the bad platforming), long stretches where there was nothing but platforming, a bare bones story with humor that just didn't really click with me, and bosses that were very cheap. The guns never felt that great to me and watching the frame rate slow to a crawl anytime I used the Devastator (especially when fighting the Octoking) was frustrating. From top to bottom this game was pure garbage to me, at least Bulletstorm has a fun mechanic and smooth gameplay. Idk, i'm glad I played it just so I can get it out of my system but I this didn't even meet my low expectation of being a decent game. That's just my opinion, I really did not enjoy this game at all.

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Slither_Maggot
    @BubbleBobble: It's good to see someone else who shares the standpoint that a game should be appreciated for -WHAT IT IS- not what people think it should be. Kudos mate.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By ReyGitano

When I was six or seven I remember my cousins playing Duke 3D. They loved it, but having said that, one of them recently purchased DNF; he doesn't want to talk about it, and I think that says plenty. I don't think this is a problem of people who loved Duke vs. those who never played it, it's simply not a good game.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By MildMolasses

I can appreciate that you enjoyed the game, but from my perspective it just isn't fun. I'm determined to see it through to the end even though every new level makes me dislike the game a little more. The bottom line is that I don't think the game is fun to play, and while I can see why someone would compare it to HL 2, the quality of it is nowhere near that level. Honestly, its making me dislike gearbox a little as clearly they did not do the QA and polishing that I assumed they would. Mitigating some of the technical issues (load times are unacceptable for what they game offers, and the fact that they occur so frequently just makes them more aggrivating) would go a long way towards making this game more tolerable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.