E3 2011 Banner Contest Challenge

• 192 results
#1 Edited by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

Hello fellow comrades! As you all know, E3 will be here next week. Keeping with tradition, we will have an official thread for each of the press conferences. As we have done for the past 2 years, we are looking for a little pizzazz to liven these threads up. This is where you guys come in!

Animated GIFs? That dog won't hunt, monsignor.

If you don't remember what we have done for the past couple of years, we challenge you guys to create the most super duper, head exploding banners for each official press conference discussion thread. Users can submit up to 3 different banners for each press conference (EA, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony and Ubisoft), so a total of up to 15 (I'll get to the Konami press conference in a bit). I only have a few guidelines for this challenge. Make sure to keep each banner relative to the company you are making it for, but whatever words/graphics you use to make it relative is up to you. Also, make sure to keep them classy, guys. So no ultra-violence or nudity or anything else of that nature. We're trying to keep our professional integrity here, people. The last final guidelines are that the banner is to be 600x100 with no animated GIFs. I don't want browsers crashing on my watch.

Okay here's a recap, with bullet points!

• Users can submit up to 3 banners subs for each press conference, up to a total of 15.
  • Make the banners relative to the companies. How you accomplish that is up to you.
  • Make them tasteful, so no ultra-violence, nudity or any of the sort.
  • The banner dimensions are to be 600x100 with no animated GIFs.
  • It's not necessary, but if you want to include the date and time of the press conference in the banner, that is fine.

The deadline for submissions is Friday June 3rd @ 8pm PST. Over the weekend, we mods (and staff) will have a super secret, no-girls allowed (except for, you know, the girl mods) tree house vote to decide the 1 winner for each press conference. The winners will be announced before the press conferences begin.

Happy Photoshopping!

Banner Template:

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/502/template.png

#2 Edited by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

Konami Konundrum

You may be asking yourself, "What about Konami?" Well as you may be aware, the Konami press conference is this Thursday, ahead of the deadline for the contest challenge. That is why I am not officially putting the Konami press conference into this hat.

I will still have an official thread dedicated to the press conference, but it will not be a part of this banner contest. If you still want to make a banner(s) for Konami, you are more than welcome to do so and we would be very happy if you wanted to. If this is the case, we would select one unofficially for the thread. It just won't be announced with the official winners and instead be announced at the opening of the Official E3 2011 Konami Press Conference Discussion thread.

Thank you for your time and cooperation with this problem.

#3 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

i dont have any mad photoshop skills, but i hope the winning banner for EA has sexy background images of Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 :D

#4 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

i dont have any mad photoshop skills, but i hope the winning banner for EA has sexy background images of Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 :D

You don't need great skills to enter into the contests. Sometimes the most simple things are the best!

#5 Posted by MattyFTM (14364 posts) -

I can't believe that the banners I made last year as a joke are still sitting in my images folder on my computer. Might as well upload them to give everyone a laugh again:

Moderator Online
#6 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

I'm going to make the best banner I possibly can >:|

#7 Edited by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

Between this and TNT (any whatever else might come up), my Photoshop is going to be busy this week.

Also, 1,000th post!

#8 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Awesome, hopefully I'll get some time this week.

#9 Posted by AlisterCat (5521 posts) -

Might give it a go .

#10 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -

Sure, I'll give it a try. You know, raise the bar a little bit. :)

Yeah. I'm no artist. But I normally always pass things up like this, so it wouldn't hurt to actually take part in a community event.
#11 Posted by Falconer (1683 posts) -
@N7 said:
Sure, I'll give it a try. You know, raise the bar a little bit. :)

Yeah. I'm no artist. But I normally always pass things up like this, so it wouldn't hurt to actually take part in a community event.

It's times like these that point out the fact that Sony has no recognizable characters today. They're just... dudes. Yeah, they have Ratchet and Clank, but I don't see as much hype for those games anymore even though they're still really good. Naughty Dog really ought to bring back Jak and Daxter once they're done with Uncharted. 

I suppose this is a discussion for another day though.
#12 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

To give some perspective, here are the winners of last year's contest:

#13 Edited by BrickRoad (702 posts) -

Before I officially say these are my Ninty entrys, I just wanna know if people think I should lose the bottom text that reads 'Giant Bomb...' etc. EDIT: Okay, so I've lost the white and black and stuck to just traditional Nintendo red, and lost some of the text.

#14 Posted by Falconer (1683 posts) -
@BrickRoad: There's way too much text there bro. Look at last year's. They worked because they were simple. Also, your's look too big height wise, dunno if they actually are though.
#15 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -
@ShaggyChu: They're not too big, they're the correct height to the pixel. Thanks for the advice, though. I may remove the bottom amount of text to try and clean it up a bit.
#16 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -
#17 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@BrickRoad said:
Before I officially say these are my Ninty entrys, I just wanna know if people think I should lose the bottom text that reads 'Giant Bomb...' etc.
Nice work. I prefer the red, since it doesn't blend in with the white/black background.
#18 Posted by mracoon (4966 posts) -

Looking forward to seeing what you guys can do. We had some great submissions last year but with all the TNT banner stuff since then I'm expecting to see some even better work. The photoshop skills of the GB community never ceases to impress me.

Moderator Online
#19 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Someone get buzz_clik or Bond07 in here.

#20 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -
@Axxol: Oh yeah, of course, the white will blend into the alternate forum colour. Okay, Changes are acomin'.
#21 Posted by TJ311 (415 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:

I can't believe that the banners I made last year as a joke are still sitting in my images folder on my computer. Might as well upload them to give everyone a laugh again:

Winnar!
#22 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

Would drawn work be as acceptable as photoshopping images together?

#23 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@Kyreo said:
Why bother? They've clearly been outclassed.

@MattyFTM said:

#24 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

@Zippedbinders said:

Would drawn work be as acceptable as photoshopping images together?

As long as it's a 600x100 banner made by you that follows the rules, it doesn't matter how you make it.

#25 Edited by Wacomole (816 posts) -

Can it have transparency ?

Also, is it totally OK to use the companies' official logos (ie Microsoft have some very strict usage guidelines)

#26 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -

Doing these made me realize I have no idea what Ubisoft is going to show that is going to be in any way surprising. Maybe that breathing game again. 

Kept it simple 'cause my head hurts something fierce right now. I think I'm going to go lie down. Also, Matty has outclassed us all, guys.

#27 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -
@MoleyUK: Unless they are implemented through HTML, the site doesn't support transparent PNG files.
#28 Posted by ShadowVirus (793 posts) -

This sounds fun, I'll see if I have time to make something tonight.

#29 Posted by Marino (4643 posts) -
@aurahack Those are pretty slick. I'd change the E in E3 to yellow to match the official logo though.
Staff
#30 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -
@Marino:  

Fixed. :D
#31 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

@MoleyUK said:

Can it have transparency ? Also, is it totally OK to use the companies' official logos (ie Microsoft have some very strict usage guidelines)

It can have transparency. Just make sure to to use the Insert HTML feature to post the images otherwise it won't show up.

Yes, it is okay to use a company's official logo. We are looking for things more original, but if you would like to use the official logos, that is fine with me.

#32 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
@aurahack ooh... those are nice!
#33 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

@aurahack: Looking good!

#34 Posted by Cirdain (3038 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:

HOLY SHIT!!!!!
#35 Posted by Cirdain (3038 posts) -
@BrickRoad said:
Before I officially say these are my Ninty entrys, I just wanna know if people think I should lose the bottom text that reads 'Giant Bomb...' etc.
@CitizenKane
Can I request that all banners have the start time in GMT. That would be sooo useful. If not, thanks for reading this dumb message  :)
#36 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Two years ago, the E3 theme was Grizzlies vs. Dinosaurs. Last year, it was Lincoln Force. What is it this year?

#37 Edited by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

Cut to 4 1/2 hours later... 
(Long post is long.)

For my first few designs, I tried to emulate the current image on the E3 2011 page.  (I may take back the first Nintendo and Microsoft ones if I come up with a third design.)

For my second batch, I also went for a bladed design.  Trying to figure out what to put on the blades only made me realize I have no idea what Microsoft, Ubisoft, and EA are up to (excluding BF3).  [Edit] Made some changes based on some feedback.  [Edit 2] made some additional changes.  [Edit 3] Changed the date/time font.

@aurahack: Those are great!  But I too am afraid that we don't stand a chance next to Matty.

@Kyreo said:

Check the seventh post.  I've been here since the start.
#38 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2089 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:

I doubt anyone will ever beat this. 

~*~

I wish I could have a go, but alas I finish my degree this very week and priorities will have to go into that :(.
#39 Posted by Sweep (8837 posts) -

@B0nd07: I really like these, though I think the text on the left could do with spicing up a little bit maybe?

#40 Edited by Mopsical (26 posts) -

There's my night gone.. *hope you like them* [EDIT - Updated versions on page 6]

#41 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

Well, I tried. 

#42 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

@Cirdain: E3 is held on the west coast during PDT, so that is what I want the time to be. PDT is UTC -7, so you can figure out the time where you are from there.

#43 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -
@Sweep said:

@B0nd07: I really like these, though I think the text on the left could do with spicing up a little bit maybe?

What, you don't like Arial Black?

But yeah, since you mentioned it, I'll dig through my myriad of fonts and see if I can find something with more pizazz.
#44 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -
@aurahack said:
Doing these made me realize I have no idea what Ubisoft is going to show that is going to be in any way surprising. Maybe that breathing game again. 

Kept it simple 'cause my head hurts something fierce right now. I think I'm going to go lie down. Also, Matty has outclassed us all, guys.

Well, here's my personal pick.  Great work!
#45 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:

AW HELL YE SON! 
 i vote for that one!  

Edit: though it feels really empty since EA are showing a ton of good games this year. maybe you could insert Mass Effect 3 and a SW: The Old Republic and SSX in there? right next to BF3 ?
#46 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: I'll see what I can do.  There's not a whole lot of space to work with.
#47 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -

Okay, I've edited mine accordingly from feedback. Didn't wanna repost them so they're still on page 1. Thanks for the critiques.

#48 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
@Ahmad_Metallic: I'll see what I can do.  There's not a whole lot of space to work with.
I understand, but i think less blue, more arrow-shaped screenshot thingies would be cooler :) 
 also, looking at your first batch of banners, which are stunning to say the least, they all have very.. zazzy backgrounds and shining font. maybe you should apply something mildly similar to the 2nd batch? those look kinda dry 

amazing work as always, man ^^
#49 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -
@BrickRoad: They're really nice. I dig the only-text treatment. :o
#50 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -
@aurahack: Thanks! I usually try to do something a bit different. I really really like your use of the old EA logo. Keeping it old school.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.