Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EA Sports

Company »

EA Sports is a publishing label used by Electronic Arts for all of its sports titles. EA Sports currently publishes franchises such as Madden NFL, FIFA Soccer, NBA Live and the NHL games.

Online Access To EA Sports Games To Be Granted Via One-Time Code

Novacain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Novacain

I already pay for Xbox Live, I don't want to pay again to be able to use Live with any one specific game if I buy that game used. That said, I don't think yearly iterations of EA Sports games are worth full retail price, so I will continue to buy them used/discounted and I will just neglect the online portion of it.

Novacain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Novacain
    @LordXavierBritish:  They don't lose any money on used game sales, its just that they don't MAKE any money on used game sales. So they see an opportunity to cash in, which is exactly what they are doing.
    mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By mattbosten

I much prefer the method of rewarding a consumer that buys a game new; such as the free DLC packaged in with new copies of Dragon Age. This way you're not taking anything away from someone buying pre-owned but you're adding an incentive to buy new.

flyingace16021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By flyingace16021

I think that this makes sense for sports games. I'm somebody who can't afford more than a couple of new games per year or so, so I live off the used games rack (and steam sales, but that's a different story). If you browse through those games, there are a number which aren't that old that go for under ten dollars, because they come out every year. I know what I'm saying inspires a "duh", but still. If there is a group of people who truly want to play NHL 10 until they shut down the servers, they'd probably be willing to pay for it. I'd say the majority of people who buy sports games to play online probably buy yearly. I don't know this for sure, but I think it's true. I think it's less fair for games that aren't as frequent, something as popular as MW2 comes to mind, but in reality game companies are just that - companies. They need to make profits, and people have jobs there, this isn't the worst thing. As long as I can buy used single-player games (and with the ability to play local online) then I think it's fine. Just my opinion though. 

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By Dryker

I've been increasingly leaning towards used game purchases; especially after purchasing several new games during the fourth quarter of 2009 and never really getting a chance to play them before they were reduced in price or became available Used for much less. Although, I am not completely comfortable buying games used. Very little of the purchase price of a used game (if any money at all) ever goes to the people who actually created the game. It leaves me terribly conflicted. But, I also find myself playing many more games. Ideally, for me, games should be cheaper. I, for one, would spend more money on games if they were. $65 is just too big a decision for what may very well be a never-play-again title. Hell, $40 is pushing it. If all games were $30 or less, I wouldn't even consider a used copy. It wouldn't be worth screwing the developer out of the money. At $30 or less I'd buy at least 10 games a year; equalling roughly $350 a year. As it stands, I only buy about two or three new games a year; equalling $130 to $195. The industry as a whole would make more money from me if games were cheaper. Music CD's are almost dead. Everyone rips, burns, or downloads (few realize that the quality is greatly diminished). Not I. They're too cheap to bother. Most CD's are about $10. If you can't pay $10 for something you like, you must be wasting a lot of time on stuff you don't really like. Anyways, besides lowering the price of games, EA's new system seems like a good idea. In my opinion, more DLC is another. Ship a small feature set, charge less.If you want online, pay extra. If you want capture the flag, pay extra. If you want co-op, pay extra. If you want extra weapons, pay extra. Etc., etc. It would require some balancing as to not over-gouge the consumer, but it would work for me. Don't want campaign, buy the multiplayer only for less. In fact, I think developers could end up making more money this way. Low entry fee attracts more people. They grow to like the game and want more, they can. For a small fee. Choice. People love choice. I would like choice.  

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By TerraDelu

I agree with the idea, but $10 is pretty steep. $5 is my threshold for something like this.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Daryl
    @Cube said:
    " I play NHL online. Someone just lost a sale. Way to lose a fan who's been buying the franchise since 99, EA.  Good job. "
    Well if you aren't buying it brand new it's no loss to them. 
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Hitchenson

Seems fine to me. Good on them. It may well be a slippery slope, but as long as it doesn't get too extreme, I don't see any issue with it.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By canucks23

95% of the games i buy are new... the other 5% are usually a few years old, so this doesn't affect me at all.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60  Edited By crusader8463

Welcome to the early 90's. It's only a matter of time until all console games come with a CD key like PC games have had for years. It's going to be funny seeing all the console fanboys that go out of their way to insult PC gaming screaming about this "injustice" when CD keys become common place on consoles.

As far as the studio are concerned, buying a game used is the exact same as pirating it. Both ways they don't see a penny of the profits.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#61  Edited By Cube
    @Daryl said:
    " @Cube said:
    " I play NHL online. Someone just lost a sale. Way to lose a fan who's been buying the franchise since 99, EA.  Good job. "
    Well if you aren't buying it brand new it's no loss to them.  "
    I don't buy used games, thanks.
    Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Rabid619

I haven't minded EA's and other companies decisions for things like this in the past, I think including something for people who buy it new is a great way to combat the used games market for the publishers. But taking away the entire online component? That's going a bit too far in my opinion.  

pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By pandashake
    @Cube said:
    " @Daryl said:
    " @Cube said:
    I don't buy used games, thanks. "
    This shouldn't affect you if you buy the game new.
    Seanakin66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By Seanakin66

Personally, I don't play sports games online, so if it makes the used copies that much cheaper, awesome.  At the same time, ERTS can take their access codes and shove them up their collective ass for all I care.

InsanityShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By InsanityShadow

I don't buy used games or EA sports titles, so I personally don't have much issue here, but whenever I read an article like this it's difficult for me not to consider it as just another shady underhanded money grab by a greedy company.  On the other hand, I suppose if you're the kind of person who spends $60 on the same game year after year, then another $10 here and there won't faze you.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Cube
    @PandaShake said:
    " @Cube said:
    " @Daryl said:
    " @Cube said:
    This shouldn't affect you if you buy the game new. "
    Except it does, because I have 2 PS3's with 2 people who play the game. 

Now one person has to pay to play 1 game online. 

Never.
    nobull6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#67  Edited By nobull6

The way I think of it is: 

Right Way: Developer gives you 100% of the game. You can experience all the features, etc. They include a one-time code to give you bonus content that enhances your experience.

Wrong Way: Developer gives you 90% of the game. You have to use the code that comes with a new copy to release the remaining 10%.  

This seems like the "wrong way" to go about this. Online mode disabled if you buy used? But then again,this seems like it only has the potential to damage used game sales, and does that matter to the developer/publisher? I won't pick up the used copy if I know it's gimped, but that has zero impact on the publisher. I guess I can see why they would go ahead with something like this.
    nobull6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By nobull6
    @Cube said:
    " @PandaShake said:
    " @Cube said:
    " @Daryl said:
    " @Cube said:
    Except it does, because I have 2 PS3's with 2 people who play the game.  Now one person has to pay to play 1 game online.  Never. "
    Hadn't thought about it like that. If I were in a house with multiple users, would this code only unlock online play for one person or for the entire console? That's messed up if it's the former.
    pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By pandashake
    @Cube said:
    " @PandaShake said:
    " @Cube said:
    " @Daryl said:
    " @Cube said:
    Except it does, because I have 2 PS3's with 2 people who play the game.  Now one person has to pay to play 1 game online.  Never. "
    Oh, I never thought of it like that. This does blow.
    TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

#70  Edited By TadThuggish

To everyone saying "I'm okay with this", or "This doesn't affect me", I'm sure it doesn't right now.  But if you people fall for this then for SURE it will leak over into single-player gaming.  Just wait until your grandson or granddaughter wants to revisit the classics and check out Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11, but when it doesn't work you have to sit them on your knee and explain, "Well, Electronic Arts was a company who was once profitable and well-regarded in the gaming industry, but as time went on they decided to start making bricks."

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Cube
    @nobull6 said:
    " @Cube said:
    " @PandaShake said:
    " @Cube said:
    " @Daryl said:
    " @Cube said:
    Hadn't thought about it like that. If I were in a house with multiple users, would this code only unlock online play for one person or for the entire console? That's messed up if it's the former. "
    If it's anything like Bad Company 2's DLC code that came with the game, yes, this means 1 person has to pay or not use the feature.
    WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#72  Edited By WalkerTR77

Then could I maybe pay less to get a copy of halo reach sans multiplayer component?

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#73  Edited By Eribuster

I respect EA's right to design and protect their products as they deem fit. Being primarily a PC gamer, this doesn't affect me to my knowledge. Sucks for those who got used to buying used games and expecting it to be the same as a new copy.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#74  Edited By TheHBK

This can only lead to bad things.  But if I buy a movie, I can let my brother borrow it and he can watch it.  Why is this not so for games from EA?  Is it now to the point where you have to buy a copy of the game for everyone in the family?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Jimbo

You kinda know what you're letting yourself in for with PC games, because they slap a EULA in your face saying you can't resell the license and so on, and to install the software you have to agree to the EULA.

I'm curious to see how they handle it on console, because unless they also have the player agree to a EULA before they first play the game (and thus become the End User), aren't they basically riding roughshod over First-Sale Doctrine without so much as a by-your-leave?  Bioware have been handling it by making it pretty clear that that stuff is not a part of the game proper, and is DLC bonus content that you happen to get a code for with each copy of the game (and I want to say that stuff wasn't on the disc?).  That seems trickier in this instance, because online play is quite clearly going to be billed as part of the game itself - in which case I would have thought a EULA agreement would be required from the player in order for EA to withold their FSD rights (in that they are preventing you from selling a part of the game you bought).

Whatever, as long as they make it crystal clear I think it's fair enough.  However, console gamers should realize that they are now being asked to buy games worth less money (because they have less/no trade-in value) for exactly the same price as before.  

Aren't we also rapidly losing one of the big benefits of consoles, which is that they're supposed to be 100% hassle free, insert-game-and-go platforms?  Now it's all codes and patches and installs - the only thing left is to ask for your soundcard settings and we're back to square one. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#76  Edited By JJWeatherman

First I was all "WHAAAT?". Then I was all "Oh OK, that's why they're doing it". But then I was all "STILL, DUDE WHAAT? LAME.". 

These random thoughts were brought to you be readers like you. 

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Dryker

I've been increasingly leaning towards used game purchases; especially after purchasing several new games during the fourth quarter of 2009 and never really getting a chance to play them before they were reduced in price or became available Used for much less. Although, I am not completely comfortable buying games used. Very little of the purchase price of a used game (if any money at all) ever goes to the people who actually created the game. It leaves me terribly conflicted. But, I also find myself playing many more games. Ideally, for me, games should be cheaper. I, for one, would spend more money on games if they were. $65 is just too big a decision for what may very well be a never-play-again title. Hell, $40 is pushing it. If all games were $30 or less, I wouldn't even consider a used copy. It wouldn't be worth screwing the developer out of the money. At $30 or less I'd buy at least 10 games a year; equalling roughly $350 a year. As it stands, I only buy about two or three new games a year; equalling $130 to $195. The industry as a whole would make more money from me if games were cheaper. Music CD's are almost dead. Everyone rips, burns, or downloads (few realize that the quality is greatly diminished). Not I. They're too cheap to bother. Most CD's are about $10. If you can't pay $10 for something you like, you must be wasting a lot of time on stuff you don't really like. Anyways, besides lowering the price of games, EA's new system seems like a good idea. In my opinion, more DLC is another. Ship a small feature set, charge less.If you want online, pay extra. If you want capture the flag, pay extra. If you want co-op, pay extra. If you want extra weapons, pay extra. Etc., etc. It would require some balancing as to not over-gouge the consumer, but it would work for me. Don't want campaign, buy the multiplayer only for less. In fact, I think developers could end up making more money this way. Low entry fee attracts more people. They grow to like the game and want more, they can. For a small fee. Choice. People love choice. I would like choice.     

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Cube
    @Dryker: Stop spamming your copy paste. 

2 Comments and a topic, enough.
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I didn't mind with DA or ME2. This doesn't bother me at either. People on the internet - Gamers, Nerds, Dorks, Hackers, Techies etc etc really seem to have a problem with that if you make something you should paid your fair share for it, and are ALWAYS moaning about not being GIVEN things for free.

It may be a slippery slope but you really do have to think of it from the Game Developer's point of view - if a new copy of your game is sitting next to a cheaper copy of your game (it's only 5 bucks or so, but that's enough to cover the tax) you need to do something to make your new copy stand out so you get some money from it. Both of my parents are entertainers - granted not famous ones but non the less piracy is an issue that hits close to home: Why shouldn't artists (what ever their art may be) be entitled to payment for their work?  If you pay for a full game and still get a full game do you have any right to bitch about DLC pricing? (Seriously, you don't. Now please fuck off).  I'm not saying it's ok to gouge the consumer but at the same time these businesses are not in business to make you happy or make the games you want, they're in it for the same reason as any other business is: to make money.

DeadDorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By DeadDorf
    @InsanityShadow said:
    " I don't buy used games or EA sports titles, so I personally don't have much issue here, but whenever I read an article like this it's difficult for me not to consider it as just another shady underhanded money grab by a greedy company.  On the other hand, I suppose if you're the kind of person who spends $60 on the same game year after year, then another $10 here and there won't faze you. "
    If you are buying the game new, regardless of whether it's on sale or whatever, then you don't pay anything extra. If you are buying a game used, then you need to weigh and extra $10 against the discount the used copy is. I think this is fine, and will actually promote better/more diverse games. How many darling games end up being bought used as word-of-mouth spreads, but don't make enough to get a sequel?
    Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Lambert

Just more reason to not support this dying company.

Gaming would be so much better without Activision or EA.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TotalEklypse

fuck that. to think EA almost convinced me to start gettin their games again. this wont stop at sports. take you online pass and pound it up your ass

vinsanity09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By vinsanity09

so you can't even lend games anymore? wow, EA never ceased to amaze me with their greed

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#84  Edited By TheKing

Easy solution. Don't buy any EA games!

Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#85  Edited By Zaph

I suppose at least they're tying the code to your Gamertag and not your console, which would of been a lot worst.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MrKlorox

I'm just fine with console games having cd keys like PC games have had for decades. Except it's more open than most modern PC games.

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

#87  Edited By TadThuggish
    @SteamPunkJin:  The game itself should be the reward.  Not the money.  It's certainly understandable to want to make a living in your profession, but these biggest of game publishers forget that what they're doing is creating and releasing art for a living, something a lot of people aspire to but never get to.  John Riccitello is blessed with a job that allows him to be his own boss and to release games and stories that will change or save lives.  He's not mowing lawns, he's not working as a grocery bagger just to get by.  He's already a millionaire.  Even if he wasn't, the man has a dream job...that should be the reward, not an ever-increasing bunch of money that just piles up and piles up and piles up and was never used while you were alive, so eventually you die and give your money to your son who buys fast cars and lots of coke.  All game developers and publishers should be taking pride in what they do, and not brush it off and say "Oh, that's just a thing to get by."  To Kill a Mockingbird wasn't written solely for profit, profit simply came due to good work.  It should be the same for video games; no exceptions.
    WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By WEGGLES

Not a big deal to me.

I don't buy used games.
    I RARELY sell my games.
    And I don't buy sports games. 

I do dig bonus content. Kinda not a fan of taking away features but it never effects me.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By meteora

That's cool. I don't buy used games anyways.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#90  Edited By l4wd0g

Maybe the developers shouldn't develop game-altering content (unique weapons, armor etc) exclusively for GameStop. Preorders are nice for both developers and sellers; however, encouraging people to shop at GameStop seems to be killing their own agenda as GameStop make the majority of their profit off of the used game business.   

Alternatively, as people fight for games to be art, limiting the content doesn’t help their cause. If you buy a used DVD you still get to see the ending.  Buying a used CD and you still get all of the tracks. Buy a book and you’re not missing pages. When you buy other used entertainment mediums the content is all there, you don’t pay extra.

Bloopa79Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Bloopa79Aus

I don't mind the idea of limiting some extra content unless you pay for the service for a second hand copy. But I think it should have some sort of notice on the game about it to inform potential second hand buyers . Considering in my experience most games resellers sell the game for $5 dollars less than a new copy , I think they would have to take the hit on the resale . It would also mean you would take a bit of a hit on trading it. But the idea of locking it to one person would be insane unless the prices of new games drops . If i buy a television, I can sell it if i want to get a new one . I can sell anything I dont want any more . I dont see why games should be that special thing that you cant . that would just make them disposable pieces of plastic.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't care on a personal level because I only buy used when it's the only option, but it sucks for people who do buy used.  I don't blame EA though, used sales suck for publishers.

Novacain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Novacain
    @TadThuggish: You said what I was thinking -- right on!
    Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Junpei

Considering the used game market on sports game is only really applied to the current years releases it's not a too big deal. I can understand someone looking to get a smaller print sport game like NHL being irritated by getting a used one at gamestop because it's sold out everywhere else but just remember how many sports games are piled up in every used game store you've ever gone to. Not many people buy a ton of used sports games to begin with.

Archaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#95  Edited By Archaen

I love EA's project 10 dollars. They're simply trying to stop people from buying a used copy at gamestop for $5 less than the new copy that gets EA paid. It's a brilliant way to make GameStop's newer used games cost $65 instead of $55.

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By bingbangboom

I really don't see the point EA is trying to make with this. They are actually removing content, even if it is new or used or rented, from their games. The thing is, and this is as an owner of a videogame store, EA makes deals with Gamestop to trade in games to buy their game. So EA wants you to trade in games to buy their game... they just don't want you to buy those games. If anything, this will just reduce trade in prices and used prices by $10. Once that becomes the standard what will they do?

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#97  Edited By damnboyadvance

Hey, they are a company. In the end, they are in business to make money. They don't make any money off of used games sales, so whether people like it or not, it's something they have to do so they don't lose money.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By GreggD

As long as it doesn't affect Skate, I'm good.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By gunslingerNZ

My thoughts are this: Jerk move for 360 owners since they pay for online already, probably fair enough for PS3 owners who don't pay so EA fronts the cost of server maintenance. Now I think about it though EA probably pays for the 360 servers as well....

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By microshock

FUCK THIS. Seriously. Fuck this. I don't give a shit about sport games or whatever but this is bullcrap. They make so much money from making these yearly sequels and they whine about a used market? 

Seriously? Every other market works fine with used sales. Cars, books, movies, etc. I'm tired of game companies seriously bitching about it. Get over it. It's a product we own, we're allowed to sell it and we're also allowed to buy it used. And we should be able to buy it without being punished for it. Want us to buy your NEW copy? Make the game cheaper than what it was used. That's it. Otherwise, shove it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.