Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

Just bought EvE off steam with no knowledge of the game at all...

Mgsfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mgsfreak

Hey,
    As i mentioned Ive just purchased EvE off steam (Downloading now) as im looking for a mmo to sink my teeth into and this looks far different to wow. Is the game balanced, does it really matter what race/class I choose? What would you guys recommend?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It won't be easy. Don't go in expecting WoW.

Luberik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Luberik

Just kill all angry looking eve players in yr way and find the harch way to world eve domination. Then launch a huge eve-eats-apple virus that is awesome the first few weeks, but becomes crushingly end of the world like the coming months after that.
    And then you will say: yes, this was worth the purchase.

Or just play the game and have fun

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PercyChuggs

That's a nice use of money.

"I'm going to buy this can of food, in which the label has peeled off. I'm sure it will be something I like!"

Mgsfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mgsfreak
    PercyChuggs said:
    "That's a nice use of money."I'm going to buy this can of food, in which the label has peeled off. I'm sure it will be something I like!""
    Well I have heard good things from friends and looked at some videos, so its not that extreme:D
    Anyway im loving it so far only done one mission trying to get into a office at the moment. Really interesting game but still not to sure what im doing, havn't really seen many players either.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By tekmojo

Get into a good corporation, stay tuned into the Rookie chat. I'm almost 3 months in and I'm still loving it. It's extremely deep though so you need to make sure you ask questions or read up on forums or do wiki research if you want to make the most of your journey. Currently I'm the repair dude for lvl 4 missions, where you can gain anywhere from 10-20 million ISK (salvaging/items) depending on how many are fleeted up with you.

Here are some basic tips:
    • Don't take anything from cargo boxes belonging to other corps/players unless you have scoped out the area (marked as yellow). Can baiting is one of the most common forms of getting someone to attack you in PVP. (Common in High Security locations)
    • Find a good place to do missions and a good place to buy new ships, modules, and skills.
    • If you are Amar or Caldari, I'd recommend nesting around Perimeter for missions, and one Jump away is Jita, AKA the Walmart of EVE, do all your buying and selling there unless you are an experienced trader and follow the market.
    • Get salvaging as soon as you can, it can be sold after missions for nice profits, or you can train to make rigs to put on ships.
    • Don't trust anyone, people will try to scam anyone that will take the bait. I've been scammed a couple of times and it sucks lol!
    • Patience is a virtue. It's going to take a while before you're in a Battlecruiser or Battleship, don't try skill up for a ship that you are not ready to use!
    • Have fun and explore See what is out there in space. There is plenty to do in EVE, take your time and you will understand and enjoy  the game a lot more if you take this approach.
    • Don't go into 0.4 security areas until you're ready. Some missions will send you there, but you never know what's beyond the gate. I've lost countless ships due to sheer ignorance of what territories I was entering, good learning experience though.
    • No race has better attributes than one another, although class specifications will make large impact on what type of character you want to be later down the line.
    • A couple of interesting guides here: EVE-Guides.com

That's about it, as I am not nearly as experienced as most of the players out there, and I don't have experience with Minmatar or Gallente. A lot of things you will learn on your own, but just stick with it and I'm sure you will find something special in EVE.
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By harris

Make sure you apply to the giant bomb corp, we are all  very helpful. See the other thread for instructions. http://www.giantbomb.com/eve-online/61-14447/luchacorp-launched/35-235114/#29

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Gmanall

Two words Oh Dear

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By fr0br0

You have no idea what you just got yourself into...

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By killdave

*Patience is a virtue. It's going to take a while before you're in a Battlecruiser or Battleship, don't try skill up for a ship that you are not ready to use!*

Why not tech into a ship you arent ready to use ??
    Surely the extra weapon slots , cpu and powergrid will only help not hinder ??

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

sorry to hear

Ultimadark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Ultimadark

I bought it off steam 1 year ago, gonna give it a try again with a 5-day free reactivation, see if it grows on me this time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.