Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fable II Pub Games

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 13, 2008

A collection of the three pub-style games in Fable II, originally released as a pre-order bonus for that game. Players transfer gold and exclusive items for their Heroes in Fable II.

consequences of using the exploit

bucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By bucky

If the exploit in fortune's tower was put there on purpose, do you guys think that it'll have some kind of negative consequence on your character in Fable 2?
    I was thinking that you could possibly start off evil for cheating, or the money that is given to you once you enter the game world carries some kind of curse with it.
    Thoughts?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#2  Edited By mike

I think you're giving the developers way too much credit.

bucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bucky

probably, but i wouldn't exactly rule it out considering fable is a game about good/evil and the consequences of you actions.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kush
    MB said:
    "I think you're giving the developers way too much credit."
    Agreed...but if they did something like that it would crazy...and awesome.
    hendersonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By hendersonman

I hope not. I have been cheating to get my money back those Bastards took. There is not playing the odds in this game... they game screws you over... I am returning the favor.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Player1

Would be cool. Ive heard this game is extremely flawed though, so like hener said...its like sticking it to the man. 

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wolswor

No, that's the stupidest idea ever..."You're evil but hey, you have 100 million gold!!!" This exploit wasn't put there on purpose, the only retards saying that are the people who use it.  And to everyone who says "Omg the game is so rigged I have so much debt" I went from 25,000 gold total debt to 63,000 positive debt playing legit.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Wolswor said:
    "No, that's the stupidest idea ever..."You're evil but hey, you have 100 million gold!!!" This exploit wasn't put there on purpose, the only retards saying that are the people who use it.  And to everyone who says "Omg the game is so rigged I have so much debt" I went from 25,000 gold total debt to 63,000 positive debt playing legit."
    someone didn't have their wheaties this morning 
    sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By sterbacblu

I actually wondered about this as well, I guess my first play through would be as a rich evil guy trying to redeem himself through his actions.  That's way too deep a though for a button masher.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Termite
    ZombieHunter said:
    "Wolswor said:
    "No, that's the stupidest idea ever..."You're evil but hey, you have 100 million gold!!!" This exploit wasn't put there on purpose, the only retards saying that are the people who use it.  And to everyone who says "Omg the game is so rigged I have so much debt" I went from 25,000 gold total debt to 63,000 positive debt playing legit."
    someone didn't have their wheaties this morning "
    Wheaties? BAH! Rice Crispies!

And if the developers were clever and did something like that, it would be awesome.

I think Peter Molenuex is too busy making Dog ragdoll physics or whatever to care though
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1ff61c91adb
    deactivated-5a1ff61c91adb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember the first thing I tried when I got the game was to try and change my bet during the spinner game to see if it would work.  It did not work of course but later that day I read about the exploit in the Tower game.  It seems unlikely to me that any sort of decent playtesting on this game would have missed that.  These Live Arcade games spend months in development and you have to imagine there were 100's of hours of testing involved where you have people trying to break the game, but they somehow missed something so simple?    And when you actually look at the game it is a very fleshed out well produced product outside of that exploit.  If there was any developer devious enough to think of putting that in there and then using it as a penalty when you booted up Fable 2,  I think it would be Moleneux.   It makes perfect sense in the context of the good versus evil universe.   Of course I have no idea whether it was intentional or not,  but I do not think it is crazy to think that the guys at Lionhead would do something like this.  

If it was intended,  then I have to give them a lot of credit.   When someone approaches a game like Fable 2 for the first time,  they are going to decide that they will play an evil or good character.   But if Lionhead actually were smart enough to devise a way to make you do an evil or good deed unintentionally before the game was ever released and have that effect your experience,  then I take my hat off to them.   If it was just bad programming,  well it should only take them a week or two to patch.   

Avatar image for semicolon1twlev2
    semicolon1twlev2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By semicolon1twlev2
    C4Lukin said:
    "I remember the first thing I tried when I got the game was to try and change my bet during the spinner game to see if it would work.  It did not work of course but later that day I read about the exploit in the Tower game.  It seems unlikely to me that any sort of decent playtesting on this game would have missed that.  These Live Arcade games spend months in development and you have to imagine there were 100's of hours of testing involved where you have people trying to break the game, but they somehow missed something so simple?    And when you actually look at the game it is a very fleshed out well produced product outside of that exploit.  If there was any developer devious enough to think of putting that in there and then using it as a penalty when you booted up Fable 2,  I think it would be Moleneux.   It makes perfect sense in the context of the good versus evil universe.   Of course I have no idea whether it was intentional or not,  but I do not think it is crazy to think that the guys at Lionhead would do something like this.  

If it was intended,  then I have to give them a lot of credit.   When someone approaches a game like Fable 2 for the first time,  they are going to decide that they will play an evil or good character.   But if Lionhead actually were smart enough to devise a way to make you do an evil or good deed unintentionally before the game was ever released and have that effect your experience,  then I take my hat off to them.   If it was just bad programming,  well it should only take them a week or two to patch.   "
    And look at Gears with it's countless glitches and exploits.  If a game like that could go through development with those glitches, then I'm sure an arcade game (that's not even that great to begin with) could have a glitch like it does.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#14  Edited By Soap

The real consequence is that your going to ruin the game for yourself by cheating :)

Infact, just by owning Pub games your already taking time out of the game, I'd rather feel a sense of satisfaction for completing the game by leveling and earning my gold than just turning up on day one with shit loads of cash to get the best gear straight out and then coast through the game... but whatever.

DarkElf2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DarkElf2112
    MB said:

Agree 100%! Molyneaux's genious is more myth and showmanship than reality. The likelyhood is that Fable 2 will be as glitchy as the pub games are...
    j_meyer_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By j_meyer_13

From the IGN preview on Fable II: You can have some fun with this. Buy the local bar and you can make beer free. No, you won't earn any cash, but the whole town will be sauced and everyone will love you. Ah, but how can you buy a bar so early in Fable II? Well, you can bring in your money from Fable II Pub Games. You may even have used the well-known cheat to earn your dough. Just be warned. Molyneux has said that the cheat was no accident and that those who used it to earn their money will be in for a surprise."

And you guys thought the developers were being given too much credit?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    MB said:
    I laughed, at the trueness.
    LAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By LAR
    j_meyer_13 said:
    "Well, you can bring in your money from Fable II Pub Games. You may even have used the well-known cheat to earn your dough. Just be warned. Molyneux has said that the cheat was no accident and that those who used it to earn their money will be in for a surprise."
    Completely brilliant.  Now I'm really curious if the "surprise" is bad enough to keep me from using the millions I cheated my way to.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rowr
    LAR said:
    "j_meyer_13 said:
    "Well, you can bring in your money from Fable II Pub Games. You may even have used the well-known cheat to earn your dough. Just be warned. Molyneux has said that the cheat was no accident and that those who used it to earn their money will be in for a surprise."
    Completely brilliant.  Now I'm really curious if the "surprise" is bad enough to keep me from using the millions I cheated my way to."

If you cheat, your dog gets cancer.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By kush
    Rowr said:
    "If you cheat, your dog gets cancer."
    That would be horrible and awesome at the same time!
    Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I'll even transfer money over to the game, I'd rather feel satisfied when I spend time making money then just have it right away.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think you're thinking about this realistically. They didn't actually know about the exploit (or if they did they'll wanna keep it under wraps) so there would'nt have been anything in the game which let them monitor use of that exploit and therefore they can't do anything to the specific people who used that exploit.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Vaxadrin

That's a good point.  If the idea was solely to transfer over the cash from Pub Games, then Fable 2 would have no way of knowing the exploit was used if it was, indeed, a glitch.  There would have to be some kind of flag in the system to let Fable 2 know that the exploit in Pub Games was used.  Thus, that may very well prove that the exploit was intentional.

Avatar image for reversethedevil
    reversethedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By reversethedevil

So i'm confused. is the exploit still working but with repercussions in fable 2? or has it been patched and it wont' work at all anymore? I recently preordered and ol' best buy is mailing me the pub games code.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I transferred and got corruption points. But you can easily get those back. No big deal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.