Fable: The Journey Definitely Isn't On-Rails, Probably Still Features Magic Jazz Hands

• 98 results
Posted by Alex (2024 posts) -

Despite all appearances to the contrary at Microsoft's E3 2011 "Media Briefing," Peter Molyneux really wants you to know that Fable: The Journey is not on-rails. Like, not even a little bit.

Molyneux was having journalists sign this wall at E3, to signify that "It's not on rails."

In a video captured by OXM UK, Molyneux attributes the misconception to his own "horrendous mistake." Specifically, a decision made to remove the game's navigation components for the E3 demo, in order to simplify the demonstration of the title's gestural controls. So, yes, what you saw at E3 was on-rails, but the real game won't be.

What, exactly, those navigation components entail we still don't know, but one has to imagine they weren't exactly in an overly functional state if Lionhead felt it necessary to straight up strip them out and risk giving people the complete wrong idea about their title during a press conference streamed out to the entire world. Or maybe Peter Molyneux just really likes screwing with people. After all, it's not like he's proven himself averse to saying things that don't turn out to be entirely true.

As for the previously demonstrated magic energy ball rave dancing motions seen in the demo, those seem like they'll probably still be in the game. Unless, of course, Peter just up and decides those were a horrendous mistake too. I wouldn't put anything past him, at this point.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by Alex (2024 posts) -

Despite all appearances to the contrary at Microsoft's E3 2011 "Media Briefing," Peter Molyneux really wants you to know that Fable: The Journey is not on-rails. Like, not even a little bit.

Molyneux was having journalists sign this wall at E3, to signify that "It's not on rails."

In a video captured by OXM UK, Molyneux attributes the misconception to his own "horrendous mistake." Specifically, a decision made to remove the game's navigation components for the E3 demo, in order to simplify the demonstration of the title's gestural controls. So, yes, what you saw at E3 was on-rails, but the real game won't be.

What, exactly, those navigation components entail we still don't know, but one has to imagine they weren't exactly in an overly functional state if Lionhead felt it necessary to straight up strip them out and risk giving people the complete wrong idea about their title during a press conference streamed out to the entire world. Or maybe Peter Molyneux just really likes screwing with people. After all, it's not like he's proven himself averse to saying things that don't turn out to be entirely true.

As for the previously demonstrated magic energy ball rave dancing motions seen in the demo, those seem like they'll probably still be in the game. Unless, of course, Peter just up and decides those were a horrendous mistake too. I wouldn't put anything past him, at this point.

Staff Online
#2 Posted by groin (845 posts) -

rails

#3 Posted by Device (47 posts) -

*does a choo-choo noise*

#4 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Since Molyneux said it, I don't believe it.

#5 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@groin said:

rails

you just owned me bro
#6 Edited by DJJoeJoe (1323 posts) -

He should be more clear, it's on multiple rails and you can chose at specific points. You know... like a train, on rails :S 

If they don't use guided movement in the final game I'd have no idea what they could be using, considering how hard it would be to move a character on screen while shooting accurately just with kinect etc. 

#7 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Did Fable 3 do well sales wise? Did they ever  implement Kinect into into it like I could have sworn I heard someone say they were going to do?

Also, that should totally be the subtitle for this game. Fable: Not On Rails

#8 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

No Molyneux, I'm pretty sure you're still full of shit.

#9 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Even if it's not, I still think it'll suck.

#10 Posted by ashbash (368 posts) -
#11 Posted by Cincaid (2955 posts) -

@ashbash159: Made my day, thanks mate.

#12 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@ashbash159 said:
clap clap clap
#13 Posted by Zor (654 posts) -
@DJJoeJoe said:
He should be more clear, it's on multiple rails and you can chose at specific points. You know... like a train, on rails :S  If they don't use guided movement in the final game I'd have no idea what they could be using, considering how hard it would be to move a character on screen while shooting accurately just with kinect etc. 
Yeah, i recall hearing on the bombcast about that. Multiples rails, are still rails... 
#14 Posted by Zeemod (303 posts) -

So, it's the first ever non-linear-on-rails game.

#16 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4361 posts) -

"Is this fool fucking with us or does he not know what on rails means?"

#17 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

Im starting to think Molyneux is doing rails.

#18 Posted by Sogeman (867 posts) -

It's not on rails but still on a track. After his Fable 3 lies I'll never believe his crap again.

#19 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

You're still not controlling your characters movement, the solution to get around that on Kinect is yet to be figured out. This is clearly not it.

#20 Posted by DS23 (243 posts) -
@ashbash159
Awesome.
#21 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -

@Device said:

*does a choo-choo noise*

All aboard the Fable Express! *CHOO WOO!*

#22 Posted by SSully (4150 posts) -

@Sogeman said:

It's not on rails but still on a track. After his Fable 3 lies I'll never believe his crap again.

But how can you not believe that silky smooth voice of his!?

#23 Posted by xxNBxx (971 posts) -
@ashbash159:  Hats off to you sir, good one.
#24 Posted by Binarynova (150 posts) -

You know, this could easily be fixed if Microsoft was willing to admit that it's something players want. A wireless Wii-style nunchuck would do wonders for this problem.

*shrug*

#25 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

It seems to me that everyone commenting on this story simply read the title rather than the body of the text. You're making yourselves look retarded.

#26 Posted by Krystal_Sackful (808 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton: Boosh!

#27 Posted by FreakAche (2951 posts) -

This game is on rails.

#28 Posted by Nardak (470 posts) -

Peter.....it still is on rails. Forcing game journalists to put up their names on a chalkboard doesnt change the fact.

#29 Posted by monkeynuts8 (73 posts) -

They need someone independent to go in and verify this. With the disaster that was Fable 3, this could be their last to release something using this IP with any credibility

#30 Posted by Irvandus (2875 posts) -

Fable: The Journey: NOT ON F***** RAILS (If I was in charge of naming the game)

#31 Posted by Morden2261 (277 posts) -

When I heard about that whole bullshit wall-signing thing I just facepalmed and wrote the game off. That exercise reeked of desperation.

#32 Posted by mrv321 (258 posts) -

You get the other rail in a patch.

#33 Posted by Sogeman (867 posts) -
@SSully said:

@Sogeman said:

But how can you not believe that silky smooth voice of his!?

Shortly before he gets me to buy his game, I stab myself in the arm so the pain overwhelms my senses and then I throw my headphones down and smash my PC. YOU WON'T GET ME AGAIN, MOLYNEUX!!!!
#34 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@PrimeSynergy said:

"Is this fool fucking with us or does he not know what on rails means?"

"THIS GAME IS HELLA ON RAILS!"

Well, I'm willing to take this at its face value, which is that he intends it to not be on rails, but it will probably wind up on multiple rails.

#35 Posted by CaptainFish (454 posts) -

Even if the horse sections have different paths you can choose, aren't the combat sections completely linear? Even if there are a few places where the paths can split, it still can be considered on rails.

#36 Posted by bhhawks78 (1203 posts) -

Seems on rails to me, whatever petey

#37 Posted by RustySpoon (143 posts) -

Rails or not, I'm done with Fable.

#38 Posted by subyman (595 posts) -

Right or left? NOT ON RAILS

#39 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

Wait, so is this on rails?

#40 Posted by ExplodingTuba (92 posts) -

Guys, listen, it's not an on rails game, it's only got one rail, so it's technically a mono-rail-game. This of course means that it's not an on-rail s game, because that requires more than one rail.

#41 Posted by rmanthorp (3910 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

@Device said:

*does a choo-choo noise*

All aboard the Fable Express! *CHOO WOO!*

LEEEETTTSS GOOO!!!
#42 Posted by Nate_is_my_fake_name (133 posts) -

This shit is hilarious. When Geoff Keighley interviewed him at E3 and asked if the game was open world, Molly replied: "It's open world as much as open world is a road." I cracked up when I was watching this.

#43 Posted by MattBosten (497 posts) -

That wall is just a test set up by Lionhead for Molyneux's Jedi mind tricks, seeing how many members of the enthusiast press he can mind wipe. That's what the hand motion is!

#44 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -
@ashbash159:  

That picture is the greatest.
#45 Edited by Mike76x (555 posts) -
Remember how everywhere in the "open" world of Fable 3 was a corridor, hallway, tunnel or cul-de-sac blocked off by an invisible wall?
It's like that, only worse.
#46 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@Nate_is_my_fake_name said:
This shit is hilarious. When Geoff Keighley interviewed him at E3 and asked if the game was open world, Molly replied: "It's open world as much as open world is a road." I cracked up when I was watching this.
It's amazing that Molyneux himself comes up with more hilarious bullshit than the guy on twitter making fun of him.
#47 Posted by elko84 (1060 posts) -

its not on a rail, it's on a track!

#48 Posted by megalowho (963 posts) -

No matter how the game's navigation system ends up being handled, forcing the press to sign their name on a wall under the headline 'it's not on rails!!!' strikes me as pretty desperate and uncomfortable. Not sure what he was thinking there. Guy is just way too emotional about his games.

#49 Posted by TehJedicake (882 posts) -

Ugh... I'm disliking Peter more and more every day.

#50 Posted by Crash_Happy (662 posts) -

I liked his ideas about gaining powers in a game that unlocked areas from earlier in the game. Paradigm shifting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.