Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Did you find FO3 to be serious and dark?

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sickVisionz

I was listening to the current Bombcast and they mentioned how "grim and serious" FO3 was.  I hear people say this all the time.  Am I the only one who thinks the game was pretty goofy and silly overall?

Not saying it was bad, but I didn't find anything about it other then the setting grim.  All the characters had kinda crazy and goofy voices.  When you enter the bar in Megaton and that guy asks you to blow up the city, he does some goofball pun filled spiel about, "I really want to see things heat up in this town if you catch my drift.  You can make some caps in the fallout."

And that's how everyone in the game talks to you.  When people talk with that many puns, especially with him doing a 1920s gangster voice, it feels more comedic to me.

You shoot someone in the arm with a pistol and the limb goes flying like 50 feet in the air or the impact makes them do like 3 back flips.

I don't know.  I always thought they were going for a dark comedy.  The only thing with a serious tone to me was the vampire quest.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn

When you actually blow up megaton, things get very dark and grim, literally and figuratively. But yes the game has ton of light hearted moments as well, but thats only when you choose the good side, if your evil, most things turn out horrible. Hell you can give a guy some psycho and he will overdose and die, and you get nothing out of it, thats dark.

But having that mix is what makes it so fantastic as a game.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fallen189

I thought it was stupid and childish for the most part

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4  Edited By Cerza

No I agree with you. I couldn't take Fallout 3 seriously at all. The whole thing felt like a 1950's Sci-Fi B-Movie.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SteamPunkJin

dark humor has always been a staple of the Fallout series, everything carries a morbid little twist with it. despite a lot of uproar about it being FPS and 'just oblivion w/ new paint' I thought they captured the spirit of the series pretty well.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By hockeymask27

I  found it  was shallow and pedantic.

vexx919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By vexx919

when i played the game it seemed like a place that at one time was funny and bright , but fell into decay 

which i think is what they were going for.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Whisperkill

Nah, it was serious
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MeierTheRed

Not serious at all, every thing in the world is very hammy, right down to the characters, and the dialog. Its still one of the  best games i have played this generation though.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By EdIsCool

Stalker is much more how I would want Fallout to be.Just with less bugs.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Potter9156
    @Fallen189 said:

" I thought it was stupid and childish for the most part "

My thoughts exactly. 

One minute I'm blowing the heads off vampires and then a minute later I'm deciding the fate of an emo fifteen-year-old that eats people. And it's not even remotely funny due to the horribly written dialogue. How can anyone take this seriously?
    EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EdIsCool

You dont I gave up on it being an apocalypse game almost immediately.And just enjoyed it as a game.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24

There are a few moments when it got dark (such as blowing up Megaton), but those moments were quickly turned funny when a ghoul form Moira comes up to you, not even aware of her condition. Those moments are very funny, and for the most part I found Fallout 3 to be more of a "black comedy" style than a "dark or grim" one. Talking with the Button guy at the end of Stealing Independence (if you convinced him you were Jefferson) was a classic moment for me.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fishinwithguns

I thought a lot of it was silly too, I think intentionally.  The funniest thing that happened was when I killed Three Dog for badmouthing me on the radio, only to hear some woman take over for him and say "sorry, but I'm new at this, some asshole just killed our DJ."  Also, this game can't be taking itself too seriously if it has weapons like the Mezmetron(or whatever it was called) and the Rock-It-Launcher.  I think the dark comedy was there in the first two Fallouts and was carried over (I had played the first one for like thirty minutes but they even had the bloody mess perk back then, although it might have been called something different).

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By rateoforange

Pedantic? I'd like to know how Fallout 3 was pedantic for you. I think you were just looking for a big, fancy word to make your opinion sound legit, but I could be wrong.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sickVisionz

Ok, so i'm not the only one.  The game press is the total opposite though.  From 1up, Rebel FM, Bombcast and even Gamers With Jobs, I hear someone on the show saying things like, "The game was so depressing that I couldn't play it for extended periods of time," and things like that.

I purchased the game based off of stuff like that cuz I enjoy any piece of media that can seriously effect me on a level like that, but was kinda shocked that the game I was playing didn't resemble what I was hearing at all.  I got over it and enjoyed the game alot (almost 100 hours invested in it) but I always wondered if I was the lone voice that would describe the game as funny before dark and grim.

Charon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Charon
    @EdIsCool: Agreed, comparing the moods of FO3 and Stalker, you get more of the feeling of desperation from Stalker.  FO3 is just trying to be funny in to many spots to feel 'grim'.
    EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EdIsCool
    @rateoforange said:

" Pedantic? I'd like to know how Fallout 3 was pedantic for you. I think you were just looking for a big, fancy word to make your opinion sound legit, but I could be wrong. "

Well, rateoforange, since you asked, I find this Fallout 3 rather shallow and pedantic...
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hockeymask27
    @rateoforange said:

" Pedantic? I'd like to know how Fallout 3 was pedantic for you. I think you were just looking for a big, fancy word to make your opinion sound legit, but I could be wrong. "

That joke flew over your head.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20  Edited By natetodamax

Maybe a little dark, but nothing serious about it. I lol'd in Bryan Wilkes face when he ran up crying for his dad.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I think Fallout 3 does a good job of establishing a slightly less than serious tone. "Dark comedy" maybe isn't quite the right term to describe it, but it isn't really all that far off. 

Just look at Vault-Boy...how can you really take a game all that seriously that features him essentially as the game's mascot?

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By JamesF

I didn't find it dark and serious. Just like very game, there are some dark parts, but for the most part I thought the whole outside world wasn't scary or dark in any way. I enjoyed the game thoroughly and every second I played was a great one though.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Griddler

It can be serious, like if you become a cannibal or do the vampire quest or kill the ghouls for Tenpenny.
    But it definitely has its goofy moments aswell

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lowbrow

The origional fallout games had a blend of 50's sci-fi, dark and light-hearted humor, and serious tones.

That's what Fallout is. Its not for everyone. I fuckin loved every second. And am still loving it.

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Crocio

I'm sure they tried for that dark tone of the first fallouts.
    It just became unintentionally humorous; I blame the lack
    of a real opposition setting. There are no real major factions
    or enemies, just enemy types. I'd say that's just a lack of story.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @sickVisionz said:
    " Ok, so i'm not the only one.  The game press is the total opposite though.  From 1up, Rebel FM, Bombcast and even Gamers With Jobs, I hear someone on the show saying things like, "The game was so depressing that I couldn't play it for extended periods of time," and things like that.
    Wow...really?

The Fallout series has had some pretty depressing moments (the ending of the first fallout game), but i don't really get any of that.  I guess the environments are really gritty and dark but the general atmosphere of the game isn't that dark at all i think.

To answer the question directly : if this was my first experience with Fallout, and if i'd judge a book by it's cover...yes, otherwise, definently no.
    rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rateoforange
    @Hockeymask27: I'm not a fan. But didn't I actually get the joke, which was that commenters use fancy sounding but non-applicable words to bolster their arguments?
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By breadfan

I thought a few moments were pretty dark or at least some of the set pieces (skeletons scattered everywhere, child's toys covered in blood, and things like that) but for the most part I found Fallout 3 to be a pretty comical experience.

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cadmus

Not anymore.  I did think FO3 was a great, dark, somber game, but after playing FO1 for the first time, my feelings about FO3 had to be re-evaluated.  I hope FO4 improves on the storyline and doesn't continue to hash out similar plot patterns from the previous two Fallouts.
    KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KillaMaStA

Alot og the stuff outside the quests is very serious and grim. You can find like logs about some horrible stuff that went down and some of the enviorments are like that as well. If you get into it it certainly can be.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31  Edited By RHCPfan24

Also, I would like to say that I LOL'd many times when a massive glitch or strange thing would occur. That is "Bethesda humor" for me, even more than their usual sarcastic, black comedy style.

Avatar image for scrubbingbubbles
    ScrubbingBubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ScrubbingBubbles

I can't help cracking a smile when a head starts rolling around endlessly, after V.A.T.S'd'ing a guy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.