Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3: A Technical Trainwreck

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

Edited By DrRandle

How Did This Get Game of the Year?

by Randy Marr
       Okay so first off, no I'm not a game designer. So I don't know the ins and outs of exact technical know-hows, but I do know a busted-ass game when I play one, and friends, Fallout 3 is as janky as it gets.

I've been trying to play nice because, in the end, I did really like the game, but after playing Point Lookout... I can't keep quiet anymore. How does this game even get released under it's conditions? In any other profession, if somebody were to make a comparable "Finished Product," with the number of problems and issues as this game, they would likely get their asses fired. What am I talking about? Well let me take you down a list of the problems I have personally encountered, and then feel free to add your own in the comments.

• Crashed Autosaves: Nothing says "Goodbye two hours of my life" like the game deciding it's going to lock-up halfway through a loading screen, thus corrupting your auto-save. Take my advice, if you're playing this game, save manually and save often.
    • Getting Stuck in Place: So I was just minding my own business fighting some fire ants when suddenly, while trying to creep along a wall, I was stuck in place and unable to move. This has happened to me numerous other times, but that one was the most memorable because I was already pissed off being knee-deep in that shit-hole fire-ants lair.
    • Flying Deathclaws: This one scared the hell out of me. I'm crawling around the wasteland looking for some supplies when I notice a Deathclaw. I ready my weapon and prepare to tangle with the most vicious beast in Post-Apocalyptia, when all of a sudden the mother fucker just vertically leaps a few hundred feat in the air in a second. Out of curiosity, I pulled out Vats and took a few shots, and he fell back down like nothing ever happened. Only it happened a second time. That time I just let him ascend to wherever it was he apparently needed to go.
    • The Vault Door That Should Remain Closed: So there's a story mission where you have to go into a vault whose front door has been sealed off by terrible levels of radiation. You have to find a back-door in Little Lamp-Light. While crawling through said vault, I found it's front door from the inside, and out of curiosity, I opened it. Now, I'm pretty sure that this door was supposed to remain shut, and I'm so sure because on the other end was gray. That kind of empty gray that anybody whose ever used a no-clip cheat will be familiar with. I stepped through the doorway and magically popped through a random wall about halfway through the vault. This seems like something that would have been easily fixed, and should never have been encountered.
    • VATS Crashes: I don't know what it is about Point Lookout, but that DLC will take any excuse it can to crash on me about once an hour. One such situation included me trying to pull into VATS and the game locking up. But a bigger pain in the ass crash goes back to when I was running the end-game content and pulled into VATS to take out some foes. However, it never pulled out. Even after the enemies were destroyed at the over-eager hands of Fawkes, I just stood there in blurry slow-mo, with nothing better to do apparently.

And of course that's not to mention all the little glitches I've had, like clipping through rocks, being able to see through rocks because there's no texture on a part of a hill, the numerous times I've had problems with people not attacking me, or attacking me, all for no reason. (I once shot a major NPC to death, very slowly, and he never once picked up a weapon. He just stood there and seemed greatful for the bullets.) So my question to you is: How does this kind of game get any awards for best game? Shouldn't Best Game imply that it's a great game all around? And this isn't also taking into account that the character animations in this game are attrocious. Sure I clearly think it's a fun game if I'm still downloading the DLC, but is this something we should hold up to the light and say "See, it's acceptable if your game still runs like shit." Oh and there's also the lag. That game is laggy as all hell, and it's obnoxious.

All I'm saying is you don't see this kind of shotty work out of a first party Nintendo game, or a first party Sony game. I think it's unacceptable that developers and/or publishers think it's okay to put out a game and it's extra content when it has that many problems.l If Taco Bell put out a new burrito with some salsa that always makes the shell soggy and causes it to fall apart in your hands... It would go away. If Michael Bay's new Transformers movie featured random robots leaping into the heavens or giant chunks of no-clip gray hanging around the screen, he would never make another movie again. So why does Bethesda put this trashy game out, and furthermore, why did so few of the reviews out there call the game out on it's technical issues?

Anything technical issues you'd like to get off your chest? Am I perhaps being to harsh in my criticism of Bethesda's game? I told myself I'd try to be more positive in my blogs but after being unable to leave the building I'm in without the game crashing multiple times tonight... I just had to say something.

I've lost all ambition for worldly acclaim
    The Inkspots - I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DrRandle

How Did This Get Game of the Year?

by Randy Marr
       Okay so first off, no I'm not a game designer. So I don't know the ins and outs of exact technical know-hows, but I do know a busted-ass game when I play one, and friends, Fallout 3 is as janky as it gets.

I've been trying to play nice because, in the end, I did really like the game, but after playing Point Lookout... I can't keep quiet anymore. How does this game even get released under it's conditions? In any other profession, if somebody were to make a comparable "Finished Product," with the number of problems and issues as this game, they would likely get their asses fired. What am I talking about? Well let me take you down a list of the problems I have personally encountered, and then feel free to add your own in the comments.

• Crashed Autosaves: Nothing says "Goodbye two hours of my life" like the game deciding it's going to lock-up halfway through a loading screen, thus corrupting your auto-save. Take my advice, if you're playing this game, save manually and save often.
    • Getting Stuck in Place: So I was just minding my own business fighting some fire ants when suddenly, while trying to creep along a wall, I was stuck in place and unable to move. This has happened to me numerous other times, but that one was the most memorable because I was already pissed off being knee-deep in that shit-hole fire-ants lair.
    • Flying Deathclaws: This one scared the hell out of me. I'm crawling around the wasteland looking for some supplies when I notice a Deathclaw. I ready my weapon and prepare to tangle with the most vicious beast in Post-Apocalyptia, when all of a sudden the mother fucker just vertically leaps a few hundred feat in the air in a second. Out of curiosity, I pulled out Vats and took a few shots, and he fell back down like nothing ever happened. Only it happened a second time. That time I just let him ascend to wherever it was he apparently needed to go.
    • The Vault Door That Should Remain Closed: So there's a story mission where you have to go into a vault whose front door has been sealed off by terrible levels of radiation. You have to find a back-door in Little Lamp-Light. While crawling through said vault, I found it's front door from the inside, and out of curiosity, I opened it. Now, I'm pretty sure that this door was supposed to remain shut, and I'm so sure because on the other end was gray. That kind of empty gray that anybody whose ever used a no-clip cheat will be familiar with. I stepped through the doorway and magically popped through a random wall about halfway through the vault. This seems like something that would have been easily fixed, and should never have been encountered.
    • VATS Crashes: I don't know what it is about Point Lookout, but that DLC will take any excuse it can to crash on me about once an hour. One such situation included me trying to pull into VATS and the game locking up. But a bigger pain in the ass crash goes back to when I was running the end-game content and pulled into VATS to take out some foes. However, it never pulled out. Even after the enemies were destroyed at the over-eager hands of Fawkes, I just stood there in blurry slow-mo, with nothing better to do apparently.

And of course that's not to mention all the little glitches I've had, like clipping through rocks, being able to see through rocks because there's no texture on a part of a hill, the numerous times I've had problems with people not attacking me, or attacking me, all for no reason. (I once shot a major NPC to death, very slowly, and he never once picked up a weapon. He just stood there and seemed greatful for the bullets.) So my question to you is: How does this kind of game get any awards for best game? Shouldn't Best Game imply that it's a great game all around? And this isn't also taking into account that the character animations in this game are attrocious. Sure I clearly think it's a fun game if I'm still downloading the DLC, but is this something we should hold up to the light and say "See, it's acceptable if your game still runs like shit." Oh and there's also the lag. That game is laggy as all hell, and it's obnoxious.

All I'm saying is you don't see this kind of shotty work out of a first party Nintendo game, or a first party Sony game. I think it's unacceptable that developers and/or publishers think it's okay to put out a game and it's extra content when it has that many problems.l If Taco Bell put out a new burrito with some salsa that always makes the shell soggy and causes it to fall apart in your hands... It would go away. If Michael Bay's new Transformers movie featured random robots leaping into the heavens or giant chunks of no-clip gray hanging around the screen, he would never make another movie again. So why does Bethesda put this trashy game out, and furthermore, why did so few of the reviews out there call the game out on it's technical issues?

Anything technical issues you'd like to get off your chest? Am I perhaps being to harsh in my criticism of Bethesda's game? I told myself I'd try to be more positive in my blogs but after being unable to leave the building I'm in without the game crashing multiple times tonight... I just had to say something.

I've lost all ambition for worldly acclaim
    The Inkspots - I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire
    JakeK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JakeK

May I ask what you're playing it on?

I've literally experienced none of those things even once. >_>

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

Your problem: You are probably not playing it on the PC, and if you are your PC is the problem.

baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By baba2

I've played both and had more glitches and crashes than the 360 version. But the 360 version seems to be suffering from bad frame rate now, it was fine before the DLC's though. :/

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flying Deathclaws for the win.

Also, you can't use the phrase "janky as it gets" in reference to a video game until you've played Too Human.

JakeK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JakeK

Guess it just comes down to luck. On the xbox360 (the console itself it only a few months old which may play into it) I'm currently about 80 hours into the game and I've had 2 crashes.

One of which happened after downloading Point Lookout, but I'm sure it's coincidence.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrRandle
    @Sir_Ragnarok: Well then I guess I get to use the phrase "Janky as it gets" because I played through that entire game... I don't think it was broken, per se, just a bad game in general.

Also yeah, I am playing it on the 360. I'm not sure my PC would be able to handle that game very well. :/
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8  Edited By galiant

I play Fallout 3 on the PS3, and have none of the downloadable content yet. I've still experienced a number of crashes and freezes, however. Some of the freezes fix themselves after a minute or two but some of them I give up on after waiting for five minutes. It's a shame that this game has these problems, because apart from these crashes and freezes I've had a great time gathering all the trophies and going through the game several times with different character builds and karma paths. I've been blessed with not having my autosaves corrupt, but since the game has frozen and not unfrozen for long enough for me to reset the console I've obviously lost progress now and then.

I'm looking forward to getting the DLC, hoping they won't make the game play worse.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By bwooduhs

Well Bethesda isn't exactly known for polished games.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By MjHealy

It has it rough edges alright. I found a chair in an underground bunker in Point Lookout that if you sit on it, you fall through and out of the world.

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CharlieTuna

It's to be expected from a Bethesda, I had some issues just like you but it's still one of my favorite games and my personal GOTY 2008. I haven't got the DLC yet, waiting for the GOTY edition of the game for that, get everything at once and play through it again.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By Suicrat
    @Sir_Ragnarok: Yeah. It kinda helped me early on in my file, but I kept on running across deathclaws, and before I could attack them, or be attacked, they'd float up into the sky.

Also, floating trees, NPCs stuck in floors, corpses endlessly gyrating. (There's nothing grosser in any video game than killing a room full of radroaches, and then seeing their antennae, legs, and wings twitch in unisin, endlessly.
    msdss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By msdss

Working at a game studio, I tend to agree with the OP. But I do give a little lee-way to Bethesda due to the huge scope of the game. When making a game with this massive of an open world it is impossible to find every single texture / geo problem in the game. In the end though, the sheer volume of non art related bugs is inexcusable. Bethesda is notorious for releasing buggy games, which is a shame since the games they release have alot of potential, and are usually pretty fun.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DrRandle
    @MjHealy: Yeah I've found a few "Fall into the void" glitches too. Also I forgot about the model glitches: I once was in a cave and found half a brahmin sticking out of the ground, it's torso vibrating like a Silent Hill monster out to own my soul. It was very unnerving.

And I get that a game this size is going to have some glitches, it's part of the territory of giant, open-world types of games... Mass Effect has some similar glitches, Fable 2 had a couple for me... And maybe I'm just good at finding the broken stuff. So the question is: Why the hell do I keep playing it? I crash every hour like clockwork in Point Lookout, so why do I keep firing it back up? Why haven't I just thrown this game away claiming it to be bunk?

The way I figure it: If Bethesda could make a game that wasn't this broken, none of us would leave our 360/pc's again. So maybe it's for the better...
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By jeffgoldblum

The game has its glitches but is worth it.

Nitemare1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nitemare1
    @MjHealy said:
    " It has it rough edges alright. I found a chair in an underground bunker in Point Lookout that if you sit on it, you fall through and out of the world. "

That's not a glitch. its a feature! lol  it's the point lookout chair to the underworld!  I found one out on a little island near the lighthouse that once i sat in I couldn't get up from. had to reload.

But yeah. for all its little glitches it was by far my favorite game last year. and this year so far as I finish it up.
    owenneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By owenneil

It has all the same bugs that Oblivion does, which is saying something. Oddly I loved both.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By lucas_kelly

I played it on PC and I never encountered any of those glitches.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By AgentJ

Hrm, I had my share of problems, but since it autosaves every time you go through a door it was almost never a problem for me. The first lockup I had was on the way to Rivet City, and other than that I had glitches and a freeze once or twice, but rarely had problems and it was far from a deal breaker. 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By AndrewB

I also never encountered any of your bullet-pointed glitches. I have, however, fallen victim to many, many crashes. A lot of them are attributed to Asus' terrible soundcard drivers (seriously, don't try to game on a Xonar), but there are the occasional more random ones. Everything seems to be made worse the more DLC you've downloaded. I guess that's understandable (though not entirely acceptable), since they obviously don't go back and check every little spot on the map of their original areas and coding conflicts for bugs.

Also, yeah, there are points where you can see through terrain into the void of "noclip land." Rubbing against rock cliffs nets you that oversight the most. I also know what door you are talking about in the lamplight quest, but that door is totally unreachable without giving yourself god mode, because the radiation levels will kill you in seconds. Obviously, radiation is not triggering if you are able to do that.

My advice would be to do a full re-install of the game, patch it completely, then add in any DLC last. None of those bugs seem normal, so the only thing I can think of is a corrupt install, or some conflicts in user mods, if you're using any.

Edit: oh, and the falling through the world thing is a huge bug for Bethesda, apparently. If you think it's bad in Fallout 3 (has only happened to me once in that game, personally), try Morrowind. You fall through the floor so often in that game that I'm actually a little afraid to make any unnecessary movements. It's so jarring to be walking around as normal and then suddenly be falling into this flickering void, only to be placed back in the game world seeming at random when you reach the bottom.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By meptron

Yup. Especially the PS3 version. Great ideas, poor execution.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By TheMasterDS

Problem with Nintendo games that aren't buggy, and indeed any type of game that isn't buggy, is that that doesn't necessarily are fun, engrossing, or well designed from a gameplay perspective. Take Phantom Hourglass for example. Visiting the same temple 5 times in a row, having the do the same rooms and then some each time on an unnecessary timer while avoiding invincible enemies that kill you in one hit, while not quite glitchy, is not good design either.

Anyone ever see the point where big triangles just appear, with the center some point in the scenery? Or the Duchess surrounded by Pink Waters. It is an extremely buggy game, but like you said it's still enjoyable, and the expansions are just getting better and better. Still though, what suprises me is not that they shipped with this, but that they've made no effort to fix it from what I can tell.
    senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By senrat

Ive only frozen once on my 360, my 360's router got taken out by lighting so its an unpatched fallout 3. I dont get very many problems at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.