Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Fallout 3 = Kinda Broken... New Vegas = Really Broken?

ExcessDebris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ExcessDebris

With Obsidian's track record and Fallout 3's already buggy experience, is anyone else worried that New Vegas will be a bunch of great ideas, but without the fidelity necessary to make a compelling experience?

Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Organicalistic_

yes, especially since they are cramming more into the same engine

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Obsidians past games have likely been buggy soley because they''ve always been rushed to release.  Lucas Arts released KotOR II before it was finished, despite what Obsidian told them.  Ditto for Neverwinter Nights 2.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Meltac
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " Obsidians past games have likely been buggy soley because they''ve always been rushed to release.  Lucas Arts released KotOR II before it was finished, despite what Obsidian told them.  Ditto for Neverwinter Nights 2. "
    This ^^ Obsidian is a good developer, but they've never really had the chance to show.
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By beforet

Obsidian is competent. I'm sure the game will run...passably as long as Bethesda actually gives them enough time. But they are still using Bethesda's engine, so it will be kinda janky.

omgmetalgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By omgmetalgear

there's sooo many bugs in fallout 3, but i played through the entire thing + dlc.

theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By theduke

i think Obsidian proved themselves competent by being able to churn out fun games with the limited time they were given for each to develop

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By General_D23

Was it the same for Neverwinter 2? Hadn't heard that. 

Anyway, judging from what we've seen (admittedly only a few screenshots, but still), Obsidian's track record, the state of Oblivion and Fallout 3, on top of the release date of Fall (which I expect to be pushed back, but you never know), my expectations remain low.
    DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By DaemonBlack

I don't think it will be any worse in terms of jank than Fallout 3. I think its possible that it will launch with some hiccups and bugs here and there but with Obsidian ( and in turn a few original Black Isle guys from Fallout 1 and 2) it is going to be a great game for those who enjoyed Fallout 3. I'm def looking forward to it.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By RHCPfan24

There's something about Fallout 3's "jankyness" that is unique and, frankly, entertaining. It does not take itself too seriously, and how can it when a giant radscorpion can spawn out of nowhere to kill your robotic butler and maybe even you in the process. So, if New Vegas is like this I will be content, though it would be cool to get a slightly more polished experience. Whatever the outcome, the game will still be a blast to play.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Skald

Besides... CHRIS AVELLONE! 

You act like Obsidian actively destroys games, which isn't quite the case. They just can't get any respect from their publishers.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By AndrewB

I'll continue to give Obsidian a little credit for knowing how rushed they've been with every game they've worked on thus far. When Alpha Protocol turns out to be crap, I'll be glad to finally change that policy.

I've got a little more faith in New Vegas because this is some of the real Fallout crew working on the game, although that could ultimately turn out to be a hindrance given the somewhat different direction Fallout 3 took.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By natetodamax

Fallout 3 is one of the only games I love despite it's jankyness.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By zyn
    @natetodamax said:
    " Fallout 3 is one of the only games I love despite it's jankyness. "

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I didn't have too many huge bugs or problems with fallout 3 and I alone put 500 or so hours into it but I read alot of stuff about it and followed the tips from other players of places not to go when I wasn't supposed to go there.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Skytylz
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " I didn't have too many huge bugs or problems with fallout 3 and I alone put 500 or so hours into it but I read alot of stuff about it and followed the tips from other players of places not to go when I wasn't supposed to go there. "
    500 HOURS!!!!  I put like a hundred in and saw about everything.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Fallout 3= Kind of buggy. 
    New Vegas= LESS buggy. 
    That's how these things work.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I am just worried about console ports. And DLC (We know its gonna happen) for both 360 and PS3 was a horrible mess.

AwesomeRory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By AwesomeRory

We will just have to wait to see in-game footage. Which surprisingly has not yet been released yet seeing as how the game is coming out in freaking November.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By cornbredx

Their release track record isnt good, I'll admit, but at least they seem to have good support. At least for the most part on the PC side of things they made the games work pretty well in the end. I remember KOTOR II being so badly bugged it was almost unplayable as it would crash constantly, freeze, or not trigger something it should quite often, but after I got it on PC (years later) and updated it and whatnot, I didnt see those problems. Dont know if they patched the XBOX version (I didnt have live on original XBOX) but I never had as bad of problems with the PC version. Anyway, they seem like a competant company just from my experience, the bugs seemed to be due to rush which I always blame publishers for.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrKlorox

Bugs are to be expected with bigass open RPGS like this. All the best (ex-PC) RPG devs release buggy-fuck games. Well except for maybe Bioware with their massive EA blank checks.

Console gamers wanted RPGs; they get them... along with all the bugs inherent to the gameplay.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dustpan
    @TheDuke: This is about bugs not fun.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By jakob187

Given that most of the Obsidian crew are former Black Isle guys, who are the original creators of the Fallout franchise...AND they are working with an existing engine from the previous game rather than having to code much NEW stuff into the engine...ANNNNND they are working with a publisher who has respect for the material rather than just trying to pump something out for the sake of making some dough on the franchise name... 

...I'd say that Obsidian will be able to release one hell of a game with New Vegas. 

I still have some skepticism, though.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blair
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    " There's something about Fallout 3's "jankyness" that is unique and, frankly, entertaining. It does not take itself too seriously, and how can it when a giant radscorpion can spawn out of nowhere to kill your robotic butler and maybe even you in the process. So, if New Vegas is like this I will be content, though it would be cool to get a slightly more polished experience. Whatever the outcome, the game will still be a blast to play. "
    Exactly. 

I love the Fallout 3 jank, it's strangely endearing.
    Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lamashtu
    @Blair said:
    " @RHCPfan24 said:
    " There's something about Fallout 3's "jankyness" that is unique and, frankly, entertaining. It does not take itself too seriously, and how can it when a giant radscorpion can spawn out of nowhere to kill your robotic butler and maybe even you in the process. So, if New Vegas is like this I will be content, though it would be cool to get a slightly more polished experience. Whatever the outcome, the game will still be a blast to play. "
    Exactly.  I love the Fallout 3 jank, it's strangely endearing. "

Exactly. Sort of the same deal with Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and a bunch of other great Russian games.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheHT
    @TheDuke said:
    " i think Obsidian proved themselves competent by being able to churn out fun games with the limited time they were given for each to develop "
    yeah. even their incomplete games are awesome (kotor2).
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By demontium

it will be good.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Skytylz said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " I didn't have too many huge bugs or problems with fallout 3 and I alone put 500 or so hours into it but I read alot of stuff about it and followed the tips from other players of places not to go when I wasn't supposed to go there. "
    500 HOURS!!!!  I put like a hundred in and saw about everything. "
    thats on multiple playthroughs.
    1st I got to about lvl 10 and messed up some and started over using what I learned to get better suff, The 2nd playthrough I went pretty far all the way through and beat it I waited till the majority of DLC was released and I started a new game when I played through that DLC.
    Getting every thing and doing every thing... *like getting both unique costumes and weapons and items and such from the ant lady and the robot dude through glitches is hard work*
    arca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By arca

Well, I had great fun playing and completing fallout 3 and I'm sure I will with New Vegas.

FalconCritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FalconCritical
    @WilliamRLBaker:  Aye, I did multiple play-throughs as well, had to have one good/one bad/one neutral, one small guns/one lasers/one melee - purposely didn't explore some areas in each game so that I saw everything but not as every character.
    Avatar image for deactivated-596b8044e5f9a
    deactivated-596b8044e5f9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't mind Fallout 3's bugginess too much. I did however find the early DLC issues a bit irritating though. Playing it on PC, I would have liked to download them directly from Steam instead of the glitchy and annoying Windows Live client. 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DystopiaX
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " Obsidians past games have likely been buggy soley because they''ve always been rushed to release.  Lucas Arts released KotOR II before it was finished, despite what Obsidian told them.  Ditto for Neverwinter Nights 2. "
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Fallout 3 was quite janky and buggy, but the jank was part of its appeal somehow.  If it's at least as good as Fallout 3, I'll be happy.

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By djaoni
    @Lamashtu said:
    "Exactly. Sort of the same deal with Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and a bunch of other great Russian games."
    Neither of those is Russian.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I just hope Obsidian actually finishes the game unlike KOTOR 2.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CaptainCody

I've put over 100 hours into Fallout AND Oblivion so I couldn't be more pumped about this framework, and the bugs were some interesting fun in the past games by Bethesda considering they rarely affected me enough besides the Fallout 3 glitch where it says I have 69 achievements even though i have all of them, but with a different developer at the wheel, who knows.
    MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By MrSnow

Nah................I say they'll clean the broken bits up a lot.

JQuizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JQuizzle

YES! im worried that the game will look and play to much the same! sure they have hardcore mode and things i just dont see a lot of new ideas to make me want the game more, but i want to see more!

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By Nomin

Obsidian could be the Gearbox of RPGs. Started doing expansions and sequels to established franchises, before setting out on their own. Hopefully their trek ends up being as successful as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.