Steam are ASSHOLES

• 64 results
#1 Posted by wealllikepie (756 posts) -

OK, so I get on the new vegas page today on steam, and I see that it unlocks in 3 hours. Deciding that it has the 360 achievements anyways through windows live, plus snatching the pre-order bonus along the way, I get the pre-order expecting to start on the game in no time. However, when there's 2 hours left, Steam SUDDENLY announces that the game is unlocked on the 22nd, which is 3 DAYS FROM NOW. SO, BESIDES THE SALES, WHO AGREES WITH ME THAT STEAM ARE ASSHOLES

#2 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2114 posts) -

No.

#3 Posted by Mesklinite (804 posts) -

you can ask for a refund.
#4 Posted by mrcool11 (469 posts) -

THOSE SMUG FUCKS!
#5 Posted by Garfield518 (403 posts) -

It unlocks on the 22nd because you're in Europe, Valve is simply following the actual release date.

It unlocks on the 19th in North America, however.

#6 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

Not really, you can just get a refund.

#7 Posted by wealllikepie (756 posts) -
@Garfield518: :(
#8 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Still says the 19th for me, but I'm in NA. Maybe it's different elsewhere?

#9 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Hopefully one day the retailers will have to catch up with the digital distributors, instad of places like Steam having to retard their release dates so WalMart has a chance to sell some copies.

#10 Posted by Lukeweizer (2584 posts) -
@wealllikepie: Can't you just cancel?
#11 Posted by wealllikepie (756 posts) -
@Lukeweizer: well yea, but i mean ill buy the game either way, so i guess ill wait and get that pre-order bonus
#12 Posted by FritzDude (2249 posts) -

22nd? thats Europe's release date on steam. If you live in the US, then you should be able to get it tomorrow.

#13 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Isn't the game using steamworks? Meaning you must use Steam with the game?

#14 Posted by wealllikepie (756 posts) -

also, since this question is related to the issue, is there any way to trick steam into thinking that im living in america, because i also wanted to buy civ5 on steam, but i missed the original date of release, and now they took it off european steam :(

#15 Posted by Sorrowsan (129 posts) -

Those fiendish rogues! how dare they!

#16 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Over-react much?

#17 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

I don't get it. Why can't you just wait for the 22nd?

#18 Posted by wealllikepie (756 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan: i will, but i just wanted to get it on release date
#19 Posted by Genjai (300 posts) -
@Manhattan_Project said:
" No. "
#20 Posted by Drakhir (410 posts) -
Steam time is different.
#21 Posted by probablytuna (3523 posts) -

Calm down, just play Fallout 3 for the next three days before New Vegas comes out for the rest of the world. If that's not enough to ease your Fallout addiction then play Fallout and Fallout 2 as well. I know I will be doing this.

#22 Posted by Brians (1455 posts) -
@wealllikepie:  you want it on north American release date? then move here.
#23 Posted by SaFt (379 posts) -
@wealllikepie:  Somehow i doubt it's the steam guys fault that it's being pushed back.
#24 Edited by Forcen (1797 posts) -

Saying "Steam are assholes" is like saying "Windows XP are assholes" or "iTunes are assholes."

#25 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

They also just announced that the DLC is exclusive to the 360.
Blame that on them as well?

#26 Posted by LiquidPenguins (181 posts) -

To answer the Civ 5 question, you can have someone in the US buy it and then gift it to you. This would also work with fallout if you wanted to get that early.

#27 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -
@Manhattan_Project said:
" No. "
#28 Posted by Gamer_152 (14049 posts) -

Firstly, I think you mean the people behind Steam, Steam is a piece of software run by Valve, not a group of people. Secondly, it's extremely unlikely Valve pushed back the release and thirdly even if it was their fault they've done so much awesome stuff with Steam this one event doesn't make them assholes.

#29 Posted by RobReindl (23 posts) -

Sorry, I actually like Steam.

#30 Posted by HiraH4x (29 posts) -

I only have one thing to say: Valve Time

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

#31 Posted by swamplord666 (1757 posts) -

so you're whining on here, when people offer advice, you say you're buying it anyway and thus not needing input. i have no sympathy for you. Take a chillpill and wait. 

#32 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

I agree that I would start cursing up a storm, but I would eventually get my money back if I could get it earlier somewhere else. No use blaming steam for following the release date.

#33 Posted by PixieNinja (172 posts) -
@wealllikepie: Civ V is still up on steam in EU - check out the top sellers list in Steam, or head here.
#34 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -
@wealllikepie:  By the way, New Vegas doesn't have GFWL achievements. It has Steam achievements.
#35 Posted by Jikla (158 posts) -

I don't get how you're not used to waiting for games when you live in Europe.I have waited for many games longer than 3 days to get to the EU because of the friggin translations for French, German or what the heck they're delaying the games for. I think I did wait 4 months for super smash brawl, 5 months for final fantasy x, about 6 months for Kingdom hearts 1 and 2 to get released in the EU. And you're whining about 3 days...*sigh*

#36 Posted by TorMasturba (1095 posts) -
@wealllikepie said:
" OK, so I get on the new vegas page today on steam, and I see that it unlocks in 3 hours. Deciding that it has the 360 achievements anyways through windows live, plus snatching the pre-order bonus along the way, I get the pre-order expecting to start on the game in no time. However, when there's 2 hours left, Steam SUDDENLY announces that the game is unlocked on the 22nd, which is 3 DAYS FROM NOW. SO, BESIDES THE SALES, WHO AGREES WITH ME THAT STEAM ARE ASSHOLES "
Should've done some research, this information has been freely available for a few months now. 
Any tough luck speech aside, I'd hate to expect it for a certain date and be rejected from getting it. 
Sorry brother, but chin up we'll both be getting it in the same day. :-) Hope you enjoy it too.
#37 Posted by Bones8677 (3208 posts) -
@wealllikepie said:
" also, since this question is related to the issue, is there any way to trick steam into thinking that im living in america, because i also wanted to buy civ5 on steam, but i missed the original date of release, and now they took it off european steam :( "
I'm gonna say that that would be a bad idea even if you could. Unless you have an American credit card, you'll be paying for the game with Euros or whatever monopoly money you guys use.  jk.  So it would be pointless to switch to the American store if you're not going to be paying with Dollars. 
#38 Posted by Spwn (167 posts) -
@wealllikepie said:
" also, since this question is related to the issue, is there any way to trick steam into thinking that im living in america, because i also wanted to buy civ5 on steam, but i missed the original date of release, and now they took it off european steam :( "
What? You can still buy Civilization V from Steam, just search it. And if you try buying games through a proxy to trick steam into thinking you're in America, your account will most likely get banned.
#39 Posted by TorMasturba (1095 posts) -
@wealllikepie said:
What are you talking about? I live in the UK and I can plainly see that Civ 5 is on the cloud slidy thingy on their first online store page.
#40 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -
@wealllikepie said:
"  Deciding that it has the 360 achievements anyways through windows live,  "
Incorrect. Different devs and they decided to drop GWFL and go for steam.
#41 Posted by JamesBoyce (295 posts) -

Be patient, mate.

#42 Posted by Hunkulese (2624 posts) -
@wealllikepie said:
" OK, so I get on the new vegas page today on steam, and I see that it unlocks in 3 hours. Deciding that it has the 360 achievements anyways through windows live, plus snatching the pre-order bonus along the way, I get the pre-order expecting to start on the game in no time. However, when there's 2 hours left, Steam SUDDENLY announces that the game is unlocked on the 22nd, which is 3 DAYS FROM NOW. SO, BESIDES THE SALES, WHO AGREES WITH ME THAT STEAM ARE ASSHOLES "
Shit is really going to hit the fan when you find out it doesn't have 360 achievements.
#43 Posted by ToastMan (88 posts) -

The point that the OP was trying to make was that even though he's not from the U.S, Steam decided to show him the American release date instead of the european one. By doing that, Steam is knowingly misleading non-U.S customers into preloading the game from them and thus, not buying it elsewhere where they might get it sooner.
This is a pretty low move. They know from where this customer is logging in from and so, there's no reason for them not show the correct date for that region. 

I feel ya dude. I fell for the same move with this game and also Borderlands when it came out. Pretty damn frustrating.

#44 Posted by Stew (34 posts) -

I would say it was "knowingly" probably just an oversight. Even Valve screws up from time to time.

#45 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -
@ToastMan said:
" The point that the OP was trying to make was that even though he's not from the U.S, Steam decided to show him the American release date instead of the european one. By doing that, Steam is knowingly misleading non-U.S customers into preloading the game from them and thus, not buying it elsewhere where they might get it sooner. This is a pretty low move. They know from where this customer is logging in from and so, there's no reason for them not show the correct date for that region.    I feel ya dude. I fell for the same move with this game and also Borderlands when it came out. Pretty damn frustrating. "
I don't think you can make that conclusion.
#46 Posted by ToastMan (88 posts) -
@Infininja said:
" @ToastMan said:
" The point that the OP was trying to make was that even though he's not from the U.S, Steam decided to show him the American release date instead of the european one. By doing that, Steam is knowingly misleading non-U.S customers into preloading the game from them and thus, not buying it elsewhere where they might get it sooner. This is a pretty low move. They know from where this customer is logging in from and so, there's no reason for them not show the correct date for that region.    I feel ya dude. I fell for the same move with this game and also Borderlands when it came out. Pretty damn frustrating. "
I don't think you can make that conclusion. "
No, you're right, I can't make that conclusion. But you don't need any knowledge in programming to know that this sort of thing should be fully automated. 
1. Valve inputs release dates; one for each region.
2. System figures out from where the person is logging in from and automatically presents the correct date for his region.

Valve is a buisness, and like all buisnesses they might bend the rules a bit here and there.
#47 Posted by fentonalpha (819 posts) -

Sooooo.... hypothetically..... if one was to use a british or Australian proxy could you unlock the game early?

#48 Posted by Daryl (1781 posts) -

Condensation is the real enemy.

#49 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -
@wealllikepie said:
" Deciding that it has the 360 achievements anyways through windows live"

It has Steam achievements, it's not a GFWL game like Fallout 3 was.
#50 Posted by Romination (2774 posts) -

Steam is not a person or group of people. Steam is a service offered to you free from Valve and calling it an asshole is like calling a garbage can a mother fucker. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.